Become a Patron!

Twisted Coil

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just twisted a 28g kanthal wire, How do I know when to stop? i.e. real tight twist, loose twist? I have nothing to compare it to. Thanks

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I twist until it starts to distort the wire or the end pops. YMMV on how you want it to preform.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
it's part of the personal preference, twist one tight and twist one loose put them in two different attys and see where you stand. as long as they stay together it's tight enough

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
it's part of the personal preference, twist one tight and twist one loose put them in two different attys and see where you stand. as long as they stay together it's tight enough
Makes sense. Thanks!

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That's what I wanted to know. Does a tight twist run hotter?
you are getting more surface area and lowering resistance at the same time.
I have been running a pair of twisted 26s but went back to straight mircos for the last month or so.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
IMG_0226.png

thats 4 strands of 30g twisted. best wire ive ever vaped on, couldve twisted it tighter but its perfect right here. thats why i say its preference

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i suggest straightening out the wires by twisting the single strand before twisting all 4 together, makes life easy and nice coils :D

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i suggest straightening out the wires by twisting the single strand before twisting all 4 together, makes life easy and nice coils :D
Good advice. I hadn't even thought of 4 strands! My 2 strands came out to 6 ohms. Best vape I've had on my stingray so far. Getting a little hot, though.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Would lowering the coil closer to the air hole cool it off a little? I'm using a Magma.

Moving them closer to the top cap might just heat up your device. Try wicking differently to let some air get underneath and behind the coils. Any method of getting more air to the coils faster will help keep your vape cooler. Ive always drilled mine out. Regardless, when you cool the vape you sacrifice flavor.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Moving them closer to the top cap might just heat up your device. Try wicking differently to let some air get underneath and behind the coils. Any method of getting more air to the coils faster will help keep your vape cooler. Ive always drilled mine out. Regardless, when you cool the vape you sacrifice flavor.
Thank you for the advice. Didn't know about air temperature's effect on flavor.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Is it safe to clamp down your atty in a vise to drill out the holes or do you advise machining equipment?

Its not the temperature that affects flavor, but the airflow you are adding to compensate for the higher temperature.

As for the vice, i wouldn't recommend tightening your atty down on bare metal, especially with softer metals like copper and brass. It can be done but there is too much room for error for my preference. I use a table drill press and a vice that I've coated with some adhesive rubber sheeting. Although, i was always taught to use what ya got, so what you have is sufficient. I'd double layer a towel or old t shirt in the vice and snug up just the top cap of your rda and drill like you normally would.
Hope it helps happy vapin'

Vapor Fiend

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Perfect, a thread about twisted coils. I was going to post one asking for advice because I've never tried a twisted coil yet, but since I ordered the mutationX I'm going to give it a whirl, no pun intended.

Ok so, here is the info that I'm looking for basically:

1. What is the general consensus on the best gauge of wire to use? Smaller diameters, larger diameters?
2. How do you determine the resistance pre-posting? ~ is there a table someone has put together showing different resistance outcomes per gauge?
2b. Same thing but how do you determine how many wraps to wrap. I don't really want to do trial and error runs.
3. Should they be generally treated as micro coils? Wrapped tightly, touching, etc. Do I use the same diameter wrapping utensil to wrap the coils as I would a normal micro coil?

My stuff:

I switch off between an igo-w, a stillaire and soon to be a mutationX. I have a Magma but I need to do some serious airhole boring before I use that thing. Stock is has zero airflow. I think I'm going to wait until I get the mutation because the post holes on both other atomizers are much too small for twisted wire I assume. I switch off between 24 and 28 gauge wire. I think somewhere I have an old spool of 32 gauge nichrome, which I don't really want to use but will if I have to. And lastly I have some .08 (or .008?)mm ribbon wire. Not very fond of it and not sure if it's good to use for twisted setups.

Thanks in advance for any and all info, tips or advice.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Perfect, a thread about twisted coils. I was going to post one asking for advice because I've never tried a twisted coil yet, but since I ordered the mutationX I'm going to give it a whirl, no pun intended.

Ok so, here is the info that I'm looking for basically:

1. What is the general consensus on the best gauge of wire to use? Smaller diameters, larger diameters?
2. How do you determine the resistance pre-posting? ~ is there a table someone has put together showing different resistance outcomes per gauge?
2b. Same thing but how do you determine how many wraps to wrap. I don't really want to do trial and error runs.
3. Should they be generally treated as micro coils? Wrapped tightly, touching, etc. Do I use the same diameter wrapping utensil to wrap the coils as I would a normal micro coil?

My stuff:

I switch off between an igo-w, a stillaire and soon to be a mutationX. I have a Magma but I need to do some serious airhole boring before I use that thing. Stock is has zero airflow. I think I'm going to wait until I get the mutation because the post holes on both other atomizers are much too small for twisted wire I assume. I switch off between 24 and 28 gauge wire. I think somewhere I have an old spool of 32 gauge nichrome, which I don't really want to use but will if I have to. And lastly I have some .08 (or .008?)mm ribbon wire. Not very fond of it and not sure if it's good to use for twisted setups.

Thanks in advance for any and all info, tips or advice.
1. 28g is good
2. Steam Engine (and others). Check out the builder's corner. Use an ohm meter.
2b. The tables will tell u that. However, trial and error is fun. That's the creative part about building that I like. Create your own build.
3. Yes, yes and yes.

Your stuff:
Your magma has no airflow? My biggest hole is 2mm (the magma, that is). And my twisted coil fits just fine in the post holes.
You don't want to twist ribbon wire. And, by the way, if you get to be fond of it you won't need to twist anything. The surface coverage is
great and you won't have hot spot problems. I had to work my twisted coil to get the hot spots out. One advantage, I guess, is that the
twists are good at collecting up your juice.

Jeez, I'm tired! How did I do, folks?

Vapor Fiend

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
~all the stuff he said~

Awesome. Yeah I use steam engine regularly for my regular micros. And the ribbon wire was an afterthought. I actually can't even find it haha..

Regarding the Magma: I was going to either start a thread or post in one about it. It has very little air flow for the style of vape that I like. I prefer a very warm, thick and strong throat hit vape. The way it's set up now (Dual micro @ .35Ω with cotton) fires fine. But the draw is hard and I can tell that not enough air is flowing through to allow the vapor to build up and give me that nice thick satisfying vape. I can get a hot vape now, but it's as if you hit any other RDA with the air closed off.

But we probably shouldn't go off topic here. Thanks for the info, I'll refer back to this when I get the MX and start to play around with twisted coils.

1. 28g is good
2. Steam Engine (and others). Check out the builder's corner. Use an ohm meter.
2b. The tables will tell u that. However, trial and error is fun. That's the creative part about building that I like. Create your own build.
3. Yes, yes and yes.

Your stuff:
Your magma has no airflow? My biggest hole is 2mm (the magma, that is). And my twisted coil fits just fine in the post holes.
You don't want to twist ribbon wire. And, by the way, if you get to be fond of it you won't need to twist anything. The surface coverage is
great and you won't have hot spot problems. I had to work my twisted coil to get the hot spots out. One advantage, I guess, is that the
twists are good at collecting up your juice.

Jeez, I'm tired! How did I do, folks?

Agree with all^

Triple strand 26g is my fav coil to date. Double strand 26 is great too.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Awesome. Yeah I use steam engine regularly for my regular micros. And the ribbon wire was an afterthought. I actually can't even find it haha..

Regarding the Magma: I was going to either start a thread or post in one about it. It has very little air flow for the style of vape that I like. I prefer a very warm, thick and strong throat hit vape. The way it's set up now (Dual micro @ .35Ω with cotton) fires fine. But the draw is hard and I can tell that not enough air is flowing through to allow the vapor to build up and give me that nice thick satisfying vape. I can get a hot vape now, but it's as if you hit any other RDA with the air closed off.

But we probably shouldn't go off topic here. Thanks for the info, I'll refer back to this when I get the MX and start to play around with twisted coils.
Well, I hope u do because I haven't heard complaints about magma airflow. Could you be blocking off the air somehow? It's kinda' hard to do
with the air coming in from multiple channels. Jeez, beats me. Anybody else out there have this problem?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Always leave room between the coils and the posts for better air circulation. What you want to try to do is create a vortex in the top cap. The best RDA imho to create this effect is the Militia by Cloud Chasers Inc., although the Plume Veil does a reasonable job at achieving a similar effect. What you do not want to do is wrap cotton all over the place. The best results are when you tuck the ends UNDER the coil and completely fill that space underneath. leave the "sides" and area behind the coil open.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh, and you want to suck a LOT of air, this cools the coil down and slows the atomisation, allowing greater vapour volume. I highly recommend large diametre drip tips...OR no drip tip whatsoever.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
yea, I''ve sucked without a drip tip. Speaking of which, has anyone seen a wide bore, ebony drip tip that doesn't cost $28 bucks? I'd be much obliging if you did and could tell me where to find one.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
best of luck on that....super wide bore and "venturi" tips are all the rage now, and fetch a premium price.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Aw crap, I've always had expensive taste. But thanks, anyway. I'm thinking of a way to make one.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Always leave room between the coils and the posts for better air circulation. What you want to try to do is create a vortex in the top cap. The best RDA imho to create this effect is the Militia by Cloud Chasers Inc., although the Plume Veil does a reasonable job at achieving a similar effect. What you do not want to do is wrap cotton all over the place. The best results are when you tuck the ends UNDER the coil and completely fill that space underneath. leave the "sides" and area behind the coil open.
Know anything about the Mutant X? Air holes look similar to Militia for that vortex effect. Thinking of getting one.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Know anything about the Mutant X? Air holes look similar to Militia for that vortex effect. Thinking of getting one.
Pretty much the same thing...main difference is that you can select the number of holes open.....with the Militia, you have to order the appropriate caps. I'd say go for it!

VU Sponsors