Become a Patron!

Unicorn Vapes Axial

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Do you guys use the Axial single or dual coil? A friend gave it to me... have not tried it yet.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Honest answer? I prefer neither one of both options. It's one of those lopsided airflow RDAs that doesn't offer any particular way to work around the problem of airflow being not laterally lined up with the coils, hence the description of "lopsided airflow", which is a typical design flaw excepting only maybe if there exists some way to get the airflow to be redirected adequately to still be able to make it work. For example, some lopsided airflow RDAs are designed such a way that they may add a little bit of a vortex wheel kind of effect (the purpose of which is to eliminate undesirable characteristics of turbulence that can tend to occur with some, or a lot of, typical side airflow RDAs), but the Axial RDA doesn't let you rotate the barrel in order to make that possible. That is, with the Axial only the chuff can be rotated, the barrel can not, while at the same time also there is no insert piece that you need to put in there to deflect airflow more toward the center of the coils. Also, there's no easy tweak to get the airflow style to be vortex-like, and, in addition to this, there's not enough room in there to adjust the positioning of your coils to line them up with the airflow enough for it to be able to cancel the need to line the airflow up with them. So, no matter how you look at this RDA, the airflow will always be maligned excepting only if you prefer to have the airflow wide open, in which case I can't see why they made the airflow adjustable in the first place. For this reason alone, I had decided not to buy this RDA.

Maybe the Axial is for those who can't/won't appreciate flavor performance as much as I do, or for those who simply don't notice any difference. If you look at the Pulse V2 RDA, for example, you can see that it does have an (ultem) insert piece to direct airflow, BUT... that one still doesn't line the airflow up with your coils either, so... just something to be aware of when you choose to buy another RDA. There's plenty of decent performing RDAs out there, if you know where to search for them. And, before anyone should jump, no, they don't necessarily always have to be mightily expensive to be good. Take the Bonza 1.5 RDA as one example to prove this fact. Another nice one is the Asgard Mini RDA. The list goes on... But there certainly is a lot of useless crap out there, complete with a hefty overdose of bias from all the various reviewers, the vast majority of whom are just shills. It happens a lot on YouTube, and it happens a lot elsewhere too, in fact the whole vaping community has been fraught with biased folks for as long as I can remember so, don't say I never warned you. It happens a lot here on the VU forum too, which is one of primary reasons why so many people here either have left or have stopped bothering to give help. Sorry if that came off a little too negative, but... it is what it is, and, it isn't exactly getting better.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Honest answer? I prefer neither one of both options. It's one of those lopsided airflow RDAs that doesn't offer any particular way to work around the problem of airflow being not laterally lined up with the coils, hence the description of "lopsided airflow", which is a typical design flaw excepting only maybe if there exists some way to get the airflow to be redirected adequately to still be able to make it work. For example, some lopsided airflow RDAs are designed such a way that they may add a little bit of a vortex wheel kind of effect (the purpose of which is to eliminate undesirable characteristics of turbulence that can tend to occur with some, or a lot of, typical side airflow RDAs), but the Axial RDA doesn't let you rotate the barrel in order to make that possible. That is, with the Axial only the chuff can be rotated, the barrel can not, while at the same time also there is no insert piece that you need to put in there to deflect airflow more toward the center of the coils. Also, there's no easy tweak to get the airflow style to be vortex-like, and, in addition to this, there's not enough room in there to adjust the positioning of your coils to line them up with the airflow enough for it to be able to cancel the need to line the airflow up with them. So, no matter how you look at this RDA, the airflow will always be maligned excepting only if you prefer to have the airflow wide open, in which case I can't see why they made the airflow adjustable in the first place. For this reason alone, I had decided not to buy this RDA.

Maybe the Axial is for those who can't/won't appreciate flavor performance as much as I do, or for those who simply don't notice any difference. If you look at the Pulse V2 RDA, for example, you can see that it does have an (ultem) insert piece to direct airflow, BUT... that one still doesn't line the airflow up with your coils either, so... just something to be aware of when you choose to buy another RDA. There's plenty of decent performing RDAs out there, if you know where to search for them. And, before anyone should jump, no, they don't necessarily always have to be mightily expensive to be good. Take the Bonza 1.5 RDA as one example to prove this fact. Another nice one is the Asgard Mini RDA. The list goes on... But there certainly is a lot of useless crap out there, complete with a hefty overdose of bias from all the various reviewers, the vast majority of whom are just shills. It happens a lot on YouTube, and it happens a lot elsewhere too, in fact the whole vaping community has been fraught with biased folks for as long as I can remember so, don't say I never warned you. It happens a lot here on the VU forum too, which is one of primary reasons why so many people here either have left or have stopped bothering to give help. Sorry if that came off a little too negative, but... it is what it is, and, it isn't exactly getting better.

:tldr:Version: :wtf::headbang::deadhorse:

You could not have simply written, "I do not use the Axial RDA"?(Specific case you, as you @Carambrda, did as you did.)

Was there a need to berate the RDA, a thing? Some reason you needed to debase the design of the RDA, an idea?

A simple, "I don't use that RDA", would not have sufficed?

Can you now perceive that for being someone of such vaulted intellect you're one of the stupidest folks I know? After all, you sling a diatribe of written diarrhea when only a simple concise statement may have worked fine. (Specific case you here. I'm pointing out an apparent fault of yours. You're "racing to the bottom" by mudslinging. You specifically in this case seem to continually do it.)

You assail things and ideas. Neither of these can offer defense, not that they have need to defend themselves. Point is you're attacking straw and trying to seem mighty in so doing. (General case you here.)

If you cannot understand I'm writing in metaphor, parable, similes, you may wish to ignore me. I'll keep writing as I do, bound to confuse and flummox you. No doubt you'll be frustrated by an inability to understand me. Do not though conflate your inability to comprehend my writing for my lacking clarity & ease of reading. (General case you, again.)

I would have told the OP the following.

Have read, heard mixed reviews of that RDA. I don't use it. Let me know how your luck with it goes, maybe.

That is short, simple, honest and suffices. I've not berated any thing, idea, person. There was no need, no warranting it. Why then do it?

Yes, I comprehend we share experiences. That still doesn't excuse a seemingly infinite desire and gesture to drag every thing, idea, person through the mud.

(So that you specifically, @Carambrda, can understand this point. I do know you're not alone in this "race to the bottom". I am zeroed in on you in this case, yes. I do mean though a general case you in addressing the issue of mud slinging for no reason. A general case you infers it could be anyone doing it.)

(Begin general case you from herein.)

Are you that afraid?

Has insecurity paralyzed you so that you need to snipe at all?

You are out nothing to tell this OP "I don't use that RDA". There's no loss to you to say simply that and that alone.

No, you need to spew a barrage of filth raking on the subject.

Did that RDA fall and drop on your toes?

Did that RDA's design cause you unholy nightmares, or maybe make your stove top explode?

I doubt any of that happened. So, why the attack? Why the fear?

And yes, for someone to attack with such vitriol, it only infers insecurity, fear. Sorry I don't understand why that exists. Do I expect you, @Carambrda, to offer an explanation? No I really don't. Figure that's a hope I'll not build up. I'm only conveying my thoughts and feelings that such a race to the bottom seems pointless at best.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Do you guys use the Axial single or dual coil? A friend gave it to me... have not tried it yet.

And so I will have offered a reply on topic here, ...

Have read, heard mixed reviews of that RDA. I don't use it. Let me know how your luck with it goes, maybe. Thanks, even. :)

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I use it only as single coil, because I'm mostly a single coil user. No matter how I wick that 1 coil, I don't feel or taste like the air flow is disruptive.
Flavor is really good and it drips or squonks well too.

In the beginning I wicked it like this, and not because it has to be. In this pic, more tail than needed really, but then I just fashioned the wet wick to allow af under the coil & through the gap in the posts. Less wick w/o splitting it works too.

1632142603951.png

I have only a few RDA's and its one I've kept. (2 actually)

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I appreciate the responses (and no need to argue with each other... that doesn't help me at all)
Actually, I am aware of the airflow "flaw" (for dual coils) In fact, a review I watched mentioned that as an issue (offset airflow, especially if trying to close it down at all) It is a valid point (but someone one may have overstated that) Whatever... let's move on. The same review pointed out this doesn't really matter with single coil because of the distance from airflow to coil. They also mentioned you can easily use a coil larger than 3mm (my standard ID) as a single coil (and I plan on trying that) There seem to be many RDAs with the "offset airflow" issue so it was worth mentioning. My actual question was "do you use it single or dual coil?" (on another forum, everyone seems to use it single coil)
@Vape Fan , interesting "split wick" idea (and yes, I think you overdid that but I am still learning so what do I know) It does seem important to make sure air can get around the coil so I will use less (but will try your method) The guy that gave me this, included two fancy coils (already mounted but I know he has medical issues and can barely build)... really sloppy mounting job but they are big coils so I am going to remove them and try one as single coil. Thanks for the input.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have mostly done RTAs (which are trickier in some ways) so this should be easy. I also have a Cthulhu Mjolnir RDA (how the heck do you pronounce that?) It's brand new... anyone want to chime in about that one?

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I appreciate the responses (and no need to argue with each other... that doesn't help me at all)
Actually, I am aware of the airflow "flaw" (for dual coils) In fact, a review I watched mentioned that as an issue (offset airflow, especially if trying to close it down at all) It is a valid point (but someone one may have overstated that) Whatever... let's move on. The same review pointed out this doesn't really matter with single coil because of the distance from airflow to coil. They also mentioned you can easily use a coil larger than 3mm (my standard ID) as a single coil (and I plan on trying that) There seem to be many RDAs with the "offset airflow" issue so it was worth mentioning. My actual question was "do you use it single or dual coil?" (on another forum, everyone seems to use it single coil)
@Vape Fan , interesting "split wick" idea (and yes, I think you overdid that but I am still learning so what do I know) It does seem important to make sure air can get around the coil so I will use less (but will try your method) The guy that gave me this, included two fancy coils (already mounted but I know he has medical issues and can barely build)... really sloppy mounting job but they are big coils so I am going to remove them and try one as single coil. Thanks for the input.
In single coil mode the Axial underperforms flavor wise, as the distance between the coil and airflow holes is an important factor to this, and that cannot be adjusted with this RDA excepting only by changing the (outer) diameter size of the coil in question. Stuffing the build deck with extra cotton like @Vape Fan has shown in his pic is a valid solution to eliminate the undesirable effect of airflow getting too significantly spread out across the particular region that is now filled with cotton, BUT... as (some of) the air travels in a laminar fashion across this specific part of the cotton that now effectively guides this specific part of the airflow more in the general direction of the coil's surface, this airflow still interacts with the part of the air that is located in the region directly above it, causing it to be still spread out toward that region, fairly significantly.

So, about that distance between the coil and the two air holes again. Greater the distance travelled, more it will have spread out upon arrival, albeit the speed at which the air travels also plays a role, as faster speeds help the jets of air to force their way in deeper after they shoot straight in via the air holes, inside an RDA's chamber. Blow air onto your hand at a constant speed and feel what happens as you double, then triple, the distance between your hand and your mouth. That's right.. the air speed diminishes as the distance is increased. That's just because the jet of air gets spread out increasingly as it continues to travel. If it gets spread out over too large an area, then not enough airflow smashes right into the coil.

The reason why this matters is because the part of airflow that misses the coil is going to dilute the vapor so it dilutes flavor. The vertical size of the air holes in the Axial is non adjustable and fairly tall. Had this vertical size of the air holes been a tad less tall, the laminar characteristic of airflow would have been able to be sustained over a longer distance, i.e. due to the air speed being increased while still keeping the flow rate the same or similar. This increase in air speed can be gained as a result from more restrictiveness being applied while at the same time also increasing the strength of your draw, accordingly. (Air speed is the average distance travelled by the air particles over one second, whereas the flow rate is the amount of air that passes through the air hole over one second.)

Of course the air holes can still be adjusted by reducing their horizontal size, but doing so also causes the center of the coil to receive much stronger airflow compared to the first and final wraps of the coil. The end result is similar to having lopsided airflow. That is, excepting only if you keep the length of your coil sufficiently short to compensate for that. If you do that, the rate of vapor production will also be lowered as a result, so, then, the flow rate of the air needs to be lowered, accordingly. If you do that, the air speed will also be reduced as a result. So it's still flawed either way, and, that's why going for a single coil in this RDA doesn't have my preference either.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
@Vape Fan , interesting "split wick" idea (and yes, I think you overdid that but I am still learning so what do I know) It does seem important to make sure air can get around the coil so I will use less (but will try your method). A friend gave it to me... have not tried it yet.
I think those pics were the 1st time I built it and don't have any others. As mentioned it doesn't need that much wick. For what its worth, I've seen some turn the single coil so its not straight cross the posts like mine.
Let us know how you like it. :vino:

Last edited:

Serena25330

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On the Axial RDA- I've used it as a two coil rda exclusively, although most certainly will try as a single today. Nice wicking!
I used the Axial like the Rebirth Rda or RTA, bayonet style - 2 leads per terminal. When built that way, the airflow isn't coming up deficient (or whatever adjective was used to criticize in previous msg), in my opinion. I think the Axial as a single coil would be a nice alternative to the Hermetic or Ghoul RDA's AF, which I never got used to despite trying. The Axial isn't lopsided, at least not in MY opinion, it's more even than the other 2 RDAs I mentioned or as opposed to shutting n off one side of the airflow (like half the dead rabbit), I think that waters down the flavor. And the displacer or diffuser, the "space-taker" gadget offered by Wotofo in the Warrior, is just another piece to lose. Again thats in my opinion....
My main complaint is that it can get HOT, depending on what type of coil used. This is where the alternative topcaps are moat beneficial, PEI or ... yeah idk what others. As for the coil build I was using something like a 26 or 28G fused clapton.
The terminals don't like huge dual leads, just won't accommodate them.
I hope this answers your post. I'm missing alot n of time I'd need to make this all flow better. I have a million distractions and interruptions so please forgive the choppy post.

Last edited:

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I use mine dual coil. Really for no other reason than I gravitate toward that over single. I like it fine. Not like a top of the lister, but preforms well and pretty decent flavor, imho. I actually have never tried it single, and may just do so now.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm very happy for the input (and quite impressed with the detailed explanations)
If I try this with dual coils, I plan on using it with the airflow (3 holes) wide open. At least that should help avoid "offset" (as I call it) airflow. I do see how a single coil (even a larger ID) would still lack flavor... most of the air just going around doing nothing. Hey... I didn't choose or buy this RDA but wanted to at least give it a chance (I promised by buddy that gave it to me I would) I do have one of those "multi-coil" packs (also given to me by the same guy... he was my mentor... got really into "squonking" and settled in on his fav gear so passed a few things on to me) I've decided to go for it... dual coil and see how it goes. My other RDA is a single coil (the one I mentioned) so won't waist my time trying that on this one.
Want a laugh? The only other RDA I have used came with the Aspire "Quad Flex survival kit" (fun kit to play with... I actually loved it as a RDTA, has "velocity style" deck, was small and worked great... too bad I realized there is no good way to refill it) The thing is, I started out just MTL and am slowly moving towards DL (restricted DL is mu current fav) Once in a while, I do like doing full out DL (well, for me that's like 60 watts... not into high power stuff)

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I use mine single coil with a split wick also. At one time it was a favorite of mine, but I've run across some I like better since then - still it's more than adequate for flavor and vapor, for me.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I use 1 @ 3id.

fidola13

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Single and the flavor is FANTASTIC!! I use rayon and thin out slightly then loosely tuck each end along the sides of the coil. I think someone above just posted a picture.

the best thing I ever did and continue to do is watch a couple of YouTube videos on that particular coil and how it’s built.

But remember everyone has different vaping preferences so I make sure the guys I watch have similar vaping styles as I do.

it practically eliminates any and all building problems.

enjoy it!!

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Single and the flavor is FANTASTIC!! I use rayon and thin out slightly then loosely tuck each end along the sides of the coil. I think someone above just posted a picture.

the best thing I ever did and continue to do is watch a couple of YouTube videos on that particular coil and how it’s built.

But remember everyone has different vaping preferences so I make sure the guys I watch have similar vaping styles as I do.

it practically eliminates any and all building problems.

enjoy it!!
Good advice!

VU Sponsors