Become a Patron!

USB Charging Problem: Smok Colorpro Mod Charging Too Slowly?

yomajesty

Member For 2 Years
Hi. I just got the Procolor kit with the Baby Beast. A few hours of USB charging has both batteries 1/3 full. The first couple of hours looked like they charged about 25%, but after unplugging, they went down to zero very quickly. Attempts to vape produced a "Not enough voltage" message. I'm not looking for lectures on the superiority of external charging. I'm getting a charger, but the USB charging function must be functional as well. Is my experience the normal one for a Colorpro or should I return it?

Bonus question: How do you prevent a Baby Beast from leaking? The coil's on pretty damn tight, so that's not an issue.

Thanks!

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Colorpro? Did SMOK release a new MOD I never heard of? What batteries are you using and what power source for USB charging?

yomajesty

Member For 2 Years
Colorpro? Did SMOK release a new MOD I never heard of? What batteries are you using and what power source for USB charging?

Sorry. It's the Smok Procolor mod. Some call it the Alien 2.0. Now, it's about 80%, charging via laptop USB. Maybe 12-14 hours of charging. There are two 18650's. 3,000 Wah each, I believe.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You are better off with a separate charger for your batteries and I’m pretty sure charging on your laptop is a bad idea.

YooVonny

Member For 4 Years
My colorpro seems to charge fine, but gets warm when I internal charge with a usb wire.
I have 4 other smok mods, 2 aliens and 2 majestics, and those all internal charge without issue, but I quit internal charging with the colorpro. I just rotate batteries and charge them in a stand alone charger instead.
I just didnt feel safe or like it getting warm,,,none of my other 7 mods do (get warm) with internal charging,,,ymmv

yomajesty

Member For 2 Years
My colorpro seems to charge fine, but gets warm when I internal charge with a usb wire.
I have 4 other smok mods, 2 aliens and 2 majestics, and those all internal charge without issue, but I quit internal charging with the colorpro. I just rotate batteries and charge them in a stand alone charger instead.
I just didnt feel safe or like it getting warm,,,none of my other 7 mods do (get warm) with internal charging,,,ymmv

How long does it take you to charge the Procolor on the USB from empty? That 12 hours or so made mine a little bit warm, but not very warm. I plan to use an external charger, but I'd love to be able to use USB sometimes. Another question: How much life do you get from a full charge, and at how many watts?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
How long does it take you to charge the Procolor on the USB from empty?

You depleted those batteries to the Low Cell Warning so they were totally discharged so to speak. With my Cuboid Tape or my Aliens it takes 8-10 hours to fully charge them when they get that low. I try not to discharge my cells that low but shit happens. Not an unusual length of time and charging with a built in or onboard charger is SAFE so do not worry. For almost 4 years I have been using PC's for power and one of my chargers uses only USB for a power supply so do not listen when you hear it is not recommended because that is so antiquated and outdated it is just stupid.

By the way I have 2 4 Bay chargers and still need to use USB On Board Charging to keep all my MOD's ready to vape~!

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Depending on the on board charging capability... lets say its 500mAh (.5A) that is divided across both batteries... so you're really only getting 250mAh charging done per hour max.

Now lets say you're using 3000mAh batteries and they were depleted, you are charging internally at 250mAh...to charge essentially 6000mAh worth of capacity.

6000/250=24 hours ;)

Although most 3000mAh batteries are really 2750mAh+... but you get the idea... going to be a while ;)

Been a really long time... but yeah I think I am correct... although I will say, I've been wrong a lot also lol

Edit: Really thinking its 12 hrs, but yeah...still a long time lol 6000/500=12 blah blah yadda or 3000/250 same thing

yomajesty

Member For 2 Years
Depending on the on board charging capability... lets say its 500mAh (.5A) that is divided across both batteries... so you're really only getting 250mAh charging done per hour max.

Now lets say you're using 3000mAh batteries and they were depleted, you are charging internally at 250mAh...to charge essentially 6000mAh worth of capacity.

6000/250=24 hours ;)

Although most 3000mAh batteries are really 2750mAh+... but you get the idea... going to be a while ;)

Been a really long time... but yeah I think I am correct... although I will say, I've been wrong a lot also lol

Edit: Really thinking its 12 hrs, but yeah...still a long time lol 6000/500=12 blah blah yadda or 3000/250 same thing

OK. I was used to using an Innoken MVP4 with the "USB quick charge technology". One hour max, 4,800 mAh. I think it lasted a whole day, or thereabouts, with a Supertank and 0.5 ohm coil at maybe 40-50 watts, with temp control. I probably do 5mL max per day. The Smok's telling me it's about 600 puffs per day at 1.2 seconds each. I have no idea what to expect from the Smok. Reviewers say "average" battery life for 6,000 mAh. One person online said a few hours. I was looking for maybe a couple days worth or more per charge at 40W.

The dealer also had the RX2000S by Wismec. I have big pockets. It would probably fit. They're known for battery life, and they take three batteries. If it wasn't an emergency purchase, I would have researched enough to get that one. Way more watts than I need, but that translates into a buttload of battery time per charge. That's what I want the most.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Use a 2 amp or better wall wart USB module and a good cable for best charging.
You can actually damage your USB circuit in your computer charging mods on it.

yomajesty

Member For 2 Years

That sounds like "Bingo!" Or eureka or something. I'll research it. I assume it will take 1/4 the time as my laptop?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That sounds like "Bingo!" Or eureka or something. I'll research it. I assume it will take 1/4 the time as my laptop?
Nope but prolly 2X as fast.
The MOD will only take as many amps as it is designed for in it's charging circuit.
Charging mods from a laptop has actually trashed laptops.

Your mod may have a 2 amp charge circuit or maybe less.
Your laptop USB is rated at maybe 1.5 amps max. many are only 1 amp and some older ones are only .75 amp.

Also use a good and short USB cable. Longer cables will have more voltage drop. And skinny cheap cables will also have more voltage drop due to smaller wires in them.

yomajesty

Member For 2 Years
At 1:30pm yesterday, I let them ride at 80% capacity. I'm 519 puffs in, 18 hours later. Did not sleep. It looks like maybe 25% left, but the screen's indicators seem to exaggerate a little bit. Maybe it's 20%. Not too bad. Still makes me want a 3 battery mod. I'm gonna sleep, and maybe buy a charger after that, external. Hoping for 2 amps. They'll probably give me 0.5 or something. The brand is "Night" something or other.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Make 100% sure that MOD can handle 2A charging~! And you will never damage your Laptop using it to charge~!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Almost every device you plug into a USB is powered by it like USB HDD and cameras even Scanners. Commercial Receipt Printers are powered by the USB Ports in many applications. Don't listen to this nonsense you can damage your PC if you use it for charging.

VU Sponsors