Become a Patron!

USPS Apr 27 Deadline Delayed for Mail Ban

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just received this email from Eciggity this morning:

Dear Customers,

USPS has missed the deadline to publish its final rule on April 26, 2021, so we will continue shipping out via USPS until the finalized rulings are published.

We do not know when the final rules will be published, but we will check on the federal register daily.

[end paste]

IIRC the original regulation gave the USPS 120 days from Mar 23rd to start enforcing the ban... so looks like they've kicked the can down the road a bit. Good news for vape gear en route. :)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hells yeah..I still got shit shipped but en route in the CONUS...some of it is nic too. *whew*

I'd seen on Reddit where USPS basically said they probably couldn't meet the deadline. Good for them.
They are already super-slammed with all the covid shit and extra online ordering up the wazoo as it is.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reminds me of back when the Deeming Regs were going to hit and companies went out but they had years to still stay open.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I might be in the minority here, as I know it's long been shown there is a causal link between cigarettes and cancer, but imo people should be free to make their own choices. I can see not allowing smoking in closed public places (restaurants for example) because smoke is overwhelming and distracting to anyone in a closed space. (I remember not wanting to go to bowling alleys b/c even when they were empty of people they reeked.) But let's face it... fatty foods like coffee cakes, donuts, candy, fatty meat, fast food, sodas... all that stuff when abused in a habitual manner has also shown to have a causal effect with cholesterol, heart disease, obesity, diabetes and all that follows. And there are FAR more people in the US who are grossly overweight, than who smoke. Meaning far more medical costs/burden are associated with unhealthy foods than with smokers. Yet we know they will never move to ban unhealthy foods. Or regulate them. So the vilifying of smokers and cigarettes "due to health concerns" is hard to swallow.

But this just makes it all the crazier they're attacking vaping, which reduces harm, saves money, lessens the burden on the health system and insurance companies, and is also a road to quit smoking, and in many cases people also move on to quit vaping too. It's all just ludicrous.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Follow the money.

The funny part being vaping devices use a lot of plastics. That creates money for Big Oil. You may think Big Oil would want to leave vaping alone, encourage it in fact. Something I've been pondering a bit. Still, Big Oil is on its way out.

Big Insurance might have an issue with vaping. "Oh no, clients living healthier, longer lives. We'll need to pay out more in claims." Or, it adds to client musters. More volume equates to less revenue.

Big Tobacco wants vaping abolished simply because in 2019/20 it took 2 billion off the top. How dare we cut into their revenue and save lives? Yet Big Tobacco cannot even move covertly to get anything done. Thank you information age.

So Big Banking gets a nudge. They hold "paper" on other Big Businesses. Their clients aren't faring well against vaping. Ah, Banking says it has to go. Why else besides it helps create equity and grow the economy. How dare we cut out the Banking middle man?

Then you got Big Lawyers a.k.a politicians (Mortician is one who tends the dead. Politician is one tends policies. Police are POLICy Enforcers.). They do whatever Banking wants. Why? Power/money/greed all the same.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The funny part being vaping devices use a lot of plastics. That creates money for Big Oil. You may think Big Oil would want to leave vaping alone, encourage it in fact. Something I've been pondering a bit. Still, Big Oil is on its way out.

Big Insurance might have an issue with vaping. "Oh no, clients living healthier, longer lives. We'll need to pay out more in claims." Or, it adds to client musters. More volume equates to less revenue.

Big Tobacco wants vaping abolished simply because in 2019/20 it took 2 billion off the top. How dare we cut into their revenue and save lives? Yet Big Tobacco cannot even move covertly to get anything done. Thank you information age.

So Big Banking gets a nudge. They hold "paper" on other Big Businesses. Their clients aren't faring well against vaping. Ah, Banking says it has to go. Why else besides it helps create equity and grow the economy. How dare we cut out the Banking middle man?

Then you got Big Lawyers a.k.a politicians (Mortician is one who tends the dead. Politician is one tends policies. Police are POLICy Enforcers.). They do whatever Banking wants. Why? Power/money/greed all the same.

And like I've mentioned before, if vaping was a US-founded industry-boom it would be different. Instead that couple billion was not just taken from US tobacco, but the majority of it left the US for China. (Yes, online US retailers added to the economy, created jobs and provided livelihoods, but 99% of the gear stock comes from China, necessarily.) Politicians and banks can't like that either. Tobacco keeps the money here.

Freyja

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years

Agree. Don't forget Big Pharma, too. Lots of $ that would have gone to their (largely ineffective, sometimes deadly) smoking cessation products is going to vaping. They've gone after & destroyed other alternatives before. It's my belief that they're the biggest player in the anti-vaping assault. Michael Bloomberg -- vaping's biggest individual assaulter -- is invested heavily in a company that's submitted an application to the FDA for a vaping device to be sold specifically as a smoking-cessation aid. https://vapebeat.com/health/the-great-american-vape-conspiracy-mike-bloomberg
Tobacco keeps the money here.
The 2 surviving US cigarette manufacturers have both invested in vaping. They know cigarettes' days are numbered. Regulating competition from e-cigarettes out of business is to their long term benefit. It's a strategy many big businesses in many industries have been using for a long time. Goes as far back as the "Whiskey Rebellion" in the US.

Freyja

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
3 Words....... Master Settlement Agreement.
That's part of it. It goes deeper, as well. See above.

What makes the war against vaping even more ridiculous & sad is that it's all for short-term profit. If you look at the statistics on cigarette smoking by young people, it's clear that it will be a thing of the past soon. There just won't be anybody smoking cigarettes, so there won't be any market for smoking cessation products, $0.00 from the MSA, etc.

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

It is surprising that the insurance industry is not behind vaping. Same money in , Less going out. That is why the UK is a proponent of THR...

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It is surprising that the insurance industry is not behind vaping. Same money in , Less going out. That is why the UK is a proponent of THR...
Then, you need to consider it's the opposite way in America. There's less money for doctors if people stay healthy. Less visits to doctors, surgeries and so also means less malpractice. Insurance can't bill doctors that aren't being paid, also no bailing out docs from suits against them. Everyone wants that "pie in the sky", money bakes it up.

Read somewhere once, iirc, that Germany used/still does not pay doctors if patients are ill in any way. So doctors are paid to actually doctor and keep people healthy but not paid if people get sick. Here in America we're advertised all kinds of drugs and told we're sick. Then, doctors won't treat/cure you because of high insurance costs.

I very much dislike the use of the word treat medically. It implies that having an illness or condition gets rewarded. And consider this, the Cancer resaerch groups being trying to find treatments for cancer, but never once can they locate a direct cause to stop cancer. Yes, they're getting a treat all these years. All that research needs funding, doctors doing it need paid.

Last edited:

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Then, you need to consider it's the opposite way in America. There's less money for doctors if people stay healthy. Less visits to doctors, surgeries and so also means less malpractice. Insurance can't bill doctors that aren't being paid, also no bailing out docs from suits against them. Everyone wants that "pie in the sky", money bakes it up.

Read somewhere once, iirc, that Germany used/still does not pay doctors if patients are ill in any way. So doctors are paid to actually doctor and keep people healthy but not paid if people get sick. Here in America we're advertised all kinds of drugs and told we're sick. Then, doctors won't treat/cure you because of high insurance costs.

I very much dislike the use of the word treat medically. It implies that having an illness or condition gets rewarded. And consider this, the Cancer resaerch groups being trying to find treatments for cancer, but never once can they locate a direct cause to stop cancer. Yes, they're getting a treat all these years. All that research needs funding, doctors doing it need paid.
I don't think malpractice insurance is the reason they don't support all THR's. They certainly don't like paying for cancer treatments, copd, cutting edge pharma.....

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I don't think malpractice insurance is the reason they don't support all THR's. They certainly don't like paying for cancer treatments, copd, cutting edge pharma.....
Hm, interesting and valid point. I will ponder.

VU Sponsors