Become a Patron!

Uwell Crown issues?!

Dauntlex

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay so I bought a Uwell crown 2 weeks ago, I love the tank but I must be doing something wrong because my coils only last about 3 days with me barely even using it. I prime the coil, make sure it's soaked through and fill the tank, still just leave it for about half an hour, I start on about 20w and increase by 5w every 10 minutes to break in the coil but I can't go higher than about 42w without a burnt taste.. Then when I take the coil out the top of the cotton is just a disgusting dark brown colour but the holes on the sides are white and seem perfectly fine! I've had the same result with all the coils (0.25, 0.5 and ni200 TC 0.15) can some one please tell me I'm doing something wrong rather than the coils just being kinda crappy!

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well to give you a heads up, when I prime the Crown coils it's a 1 hour process and then after a week of use the flavor really pops. I get 3 weeks out of them. Other than that is possible you got your hand on a bad batch of coils.

Dauntlex

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well to give you a heads up, when I prime the Crown coils it's a 1 hour process and then after a week of use the flavor really pops. I get 3 weeks out of them. Other than that is possible you got your hand on a bad batch of coils.
Well I normally prime it for about 15/20 minutes then let it sit in the tank for a good half hour? I've heard a lot of people say the coils have lasted weeks on end so I assume I'm doing something wrong, I've had coils from another batch and same thing!

Might just prime it for longer and let it sit for longer too!

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can I ask what device you are using it on? The SS coils have a history of being hit or miss, but the Ni200 are usually spot on right out of the box. Good luck and welcome to VU.

Dauntlex

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Can I ask what device you are using it on? The SS coils have a history of being hit or miss, but the Ni200 are usually spot on right out of the box. Good luck and welcome to VU.
I'm using the rx200, the Ni coil definitely lasted a little bit longer but seemed to lack flavour to me, I like a warm vape and obviously can't have the temperature too high with them coils

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I normally prime it for about 15/20 minutes then let it sit in the tank for a good half hour? I've heard a lot of people say the coils have lasted weeks on end so I assume I'm doing something wrong, I've had coils from another batch and same thing!

Might just prime it for longer and let it sit for longer too!
I mount the coil and drop juice on the exposed cotton on top, 3-4 drops at a time and wait, do it again and wait, I continue until I see moisture in the juice ports in the coil housing, then put it all together, fill and close off the air and do 5-6 prime tugs, then I start at 20-30W and break in the coil and cotton with 3-4 tanks of juice.

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Im using the Ni200 coils on my Fuchai at 520 degrees, and the flavor and vapor production is amazing. You definitely have a nice set up. Give it a week or two, maybe prime your coils longer, etc...

Dauntlex

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I mount the coil and drop juice on the exposed cotton on top, 3-4 drops at a time and wait, do it again and wait, I continue until I see moisture in the juice ports in the coil housing, then put it all together, fill and close off the air and do 5-6 prime tugs, then I start at 20-30W and break in the coil and cotton with 3-4 tanks of juice.
Yeah that's how I normally prime it but without the closing the airflow part, I'll try that!

Dauntlex

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Im using the Ni200 coils on my Fuchai at 520 degrees, and the flavor and vapor production is amazing. You definitely have a nice set up. Give it a week or two, maybe prime your coils longer, etc...
520F I assume? I can't get away with it, like my rx200 only does Celsius as opposed to Fahrenheit.. Normally run at 40w and 260C and the flavour is great but I can't chain vape which I tend to do a lot.. So it's kind of disappointing

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay so I bought a Uwell crown 2 weeks ago, I love the tank but I must be doing something wrong because my coils only last about 3 days with me barely even using it. I prime the coil, make sure it's soaked through and fill the tank, still just leave it for about half an hour, I start on about 20w and increase by 5w every 10 minutes to break in the coil but I can't go higher than about 42w without a burnt taste.. Then when I take the coil out the top of the cotton is just a disgusting dark brown colour but the holes on the sides are white and seem perfectly fine! I've had the same result with all the coils (0.25, 0.5 and ni200 TC 0.15) can some one please tell me I'm doing something wrong rather than the coils just being kinda crappy!

Spoke with a gal in a local vape shope today and she said all the employees that had Crown tanks have now quit using them because they went through coils so quick. She said she was using 3-4 a week. Could be user error but obviously you are not the only one having those issues.

Dauntlex

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Spoke with a gal in a local vape shope today and she said all the employees that had Crown tanks have now quit using them because they went through coils so quick. She said she was using 3-4 a week. Could be user error but obviously you are not the only one having those issues.
Yeah I've heard mixed reviews of it, some people have the same or similar issues but some people seem to get 3 weeks out of a coil.. I think if this next coil fails me I'll get a tfv4 instead

Model_A_Ford

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I believe all the Uwell coils now come with anti-counterfeit codes to combat all the fakes being passed off as genuine.

If that's not the problem, then I don't know what.

I just prime the coil, let it sit in a full tank for 5 or so minutes, th
en take a couple pulls at about 10 watts under normal to make sure I see bubbles and it's wicking good. Coils last a long time, like a month before the wire gets a little funky. I might push a q-tip through the coil about once a week to get some of that black stuff off the wire. I may have burned cotton once or twice, I can't really recall or not and it's not a normal thing in my experience

Moueix

Shenanigannery Jedi. Welcome New Refugee's!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It seems counter-intuitive, but I've found that for break in, the coils do BEST with Max VG juice. After the first tank, I switch to 70vg30pg. I only vape at about 450F though, but I am getting 5 or 6 weeks from a coil, and then I soak it in Ethanol awhile, swab out the core with a q-tip, bath, swab, and let it dry for a second round of 2 or 3 weeks. I'm on my 3rd coil, and have had it for about 6 months. At higher temps than 450, I don't really have a clue how it performs. You might want to try the max VG for your break in. Once it's burnt, it'll taste burnt almost no matter how low you dial it down.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have three crowns I've been using for months - and I've been through many, many coils. I prime them carefully (according to the youtube video) and ramp up slowly. Max I have ever had out of a coil (0.25) is 2 days (60mls), but generally I only get one day (30mls ) out of one coil. I do love these tanks, but the coil life is truly terrible - and I use 80%VG juice with max 8% flavoring, so the juice is not the issue. I suspect it's more to do with vaping style than anything else, since I'm putting 30mls a day through a coil and the tank gets extremely hot.

Moueix

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow, yeah that could have a lot to do with it. I keep several devices with me at all times and alternates between them, so no I've never felt my crown tank get hot. But my gosh, what a drastically different set of experiences!

Erik13

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No coil should need a 1 hour priming process. This is why I bought a TFv4.

Erik13

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm not saying it's not a great tank...the flavor and build quality are great. I just don't like the priming process and life of the coils.

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Some here have mentioned making small needle holes in the cotton, in the wicking holes. Not sure if that's what helped me, or the wattage. Like with certain other tanks, I think the wattage ratings are exaggerated on the Crown. I will use the 0.25 coil around 60w, maybe 63 max. It's not a cloud machine at that level, but the flavor is nice, and the coils are hanging in there. I go to the tfv4 or Herakles Plus when in the mood for clouds.

As for temp control ni200 coil, I'm not sure how hot is too hot, but might take trial and error.

As for the coil gunk, sweeter juices are harder on coils, but especially so with the Crown, from what I've seen. Maybe it's all the densely packed cotton being heated quickly by the 316 SS wire that creates the potential for burnt hits.

cloudydaysupply

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah that's how I normally prime it but without the closing the airflow part, I'll try that!
shouldn't make to much difference the airflow open or closed... make sure you take dry pulls.. get the juice through the cotton

Nancy_Bout

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Counterfeit coils-
I seen on Facebook will look - the cases are exact it's unreal!Its going around.
But no doubt it's counterfeit -
Call crown U well customer service they'll ask u to send a pic,and you can find out.
They will also send new coils regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nancy_Bout

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I use Max VG and whatever I prime it simple just drop a few drops my coils last till I purposely change them.
Not once has it gone bad- I don't think it's anything you've done

Nancy_Bout

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I start off at lower temps no dry pulls no nothing- one tank than flavor starts to come in.-3rd tank it's superb.
If this isn't happening- it's not a science too complicated- than I feel it's the coil

Nancy_Bout

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Oh well it takes me a good 3-5 tanks before I up the wattage (prime that way ) yeah- after that I'm at 50 watts now on .5
On the .25 I forget it's been awhile but I believe it was at 75 watts

cloudydaysupply

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
lot of fakes around.. make sure you purchase from a legit website (wink wink wink)....

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have 5 Crowns that I use everyday. I only vape in TC. The shortest coil life I have ever gotten has been 2 weeks. Most of the time I get at least 3 weeks out of a coil. I don't do anything special. I prime my coil and I wait 15 minutes. I run the tank at lower that normal temp for the first 10 or so pulls. I was just at Vape Northeast and a friend of mine unknowingly picked up a cloned Crown. Her coils lasted 2-3 days. Since then she has bought a legitimate crown with legitimate coils and has not had one problem. Just saying.

Moueix

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Counterfeits. I think I got a batch. I believe it was from GearBest. Came loose in a baggy. That isn't right, all the others I have bought, have come in a jewel case with certificate of authenticity. Unreal, the Chinese are knocking off their own stuff....

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Counterfeits. I think I got a batch. I believe it was from GearBest. Came loose in a baggy. That isn't right, all the others I have bought, have come in a jewel case with certificate of authenticity. Unreal, the Chinese are knocking off their own stuff....
I only buy my Crown coils from ecig.com. They're authentic and cheap. So far I've never had a problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Definitely going to give them a try. I tried the Atom Clapotons for my STM and its a different tank now.

Ben-Rod

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Let me know how they do. I'm gonna see if I can grab just one from a local B&M. They may be so new that he doesn't even know about them yet...lol

KnurledNut

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Show Host
I have 3 Crown's and use them on a Cuboid and RX200. I prefer the SS 0.5 ohm coils running at 35 watts.

I found that proper priming is key to any coil, especially the Crown's.

Not only do I prime as stated above, but I start with the little holes on the side of the coil. One drop per hole, wait for saturation, then rotate. When fully saturated then I prime the main area of the cotton with 1-2 drops waiting until full saturation is achieved. I'm careful not to get any juice in the open chamber of the coil. After installing and filling the tank w/ juice, I take dry pulls, full air flow, no power, to pull the juice through. After powering up the mod, I take 'light' hits for about 5 minutes. While my way of priming may not work for everyone it works for me. I get about 3 weeks per coil.

oxleyg29

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Some of the local shops in my area of Michigan, Wild Bill's /Mr. Vapor are selling cloned Crown coils. They look identical but perform horribly! Their manager fully admitted they were fakes. Fried 2 0.25 coils running at 50w within 30 minutes! Make sure you are buying authentic coils!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think all the different priming rituals do not make a difference. If you are saturating the cotton and working up from a low wattage, everything should work out fine. In my opinion, it's just a poorly designed coil. I'm sure there are counterfeits out there but the fact that every coil I got with the 5 crowns I've owned have been duds. That's what leads me to believe the biggest issue is the coils design rather than counterfeits and priming methods. I think the issue is the tiny wick holes and the densely packed cotton. The two don't work well together.

Last edited:

HvyMtl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I only buy my Crown coils from ecig.com. They're authentic and cheap. So far I've never had a problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

I second this. No issues and genuine. Only place I buy mine. Getting a couple weeks out of them.

Dauntlex

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have 5 Crowns that I use everyday. I only vape in TC. The shortest coil life I have ever gotten has been 2 weeks. Most of the time I get at least 3 weeks out of a coil. I don't do anything special. I prime my coil and I wait 15 minutes. I run the tank at lower that normal temp for the first 10 or so pulls. I was just at Vape Northeast and a friend of mine unknowingly picked up a cloned Crown. Her coils lasted 2-3 days. Since then she has bought a legitimate crown with legitimate coils and has not had one problem. Just saying.
Well the coils I had an issue with were the ones that came with the crown, I seem to get a week out of them now which is definitely an improvement! I pull the flavour through quite often though because I chain vape like crazy aha

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well the coils I had an issue with were the ones that came with the crown, I seem to get a week out of them now which is definitely an improvement! I pull the flavour through quite often though because I chain vape like crazy aha
Just curious, how many mls a day do you go thru?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

So fyi. I dont think i seen this yet on this post but uwell has outsourced coil production from the US to China. When this shift occured quality went to shit. The coils are made with a lower grade kanthal wire that is not heat treated before being inserted so as the coil blackens that is from chemicals on the wire itself not being burned off. I dont know if this is hazardous but it has definately made the first few hits taste horrible. Used an unflavored liquid to test this and in a old u.s. made crown coil no weird chemical taste. On the new china made coils the chemical taste was apparent and tasted awful. This does apply to the crown 2 coils as well.

cloudydaysupply

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
crown tanks were always made in china. Uwell is a Shenzen corporation. they've always been. the first product run leaked, the company sent out batches of bad coils, but i never made in USA. the california office is for US support.

best

Timmerz

Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
Sorry I did not read through every post. Have you tried Rafale coils? Only thing that makes my crown 2 useable is rafale coil otherwise its a paperweight for me.

Chris Peltz

Member For 4 Years
Crown II coils just suck, good for a few days and that's about it. I have taken the advice of others and have switched to using Rafale Ni coils on the Crown II...works great. Highly recommend it if you don't want to shelf your Crown II.

VU Sponsors