Become a Patron!

Uwell Whirl S review

I_aint_Joe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Introduction

It’s made by Uwell = the coils are going to be good. At least that’s the totally biased preconception that I had going into this review.

It’s a reasonable assumption to make, the Aeglos had great coils, the Havok is one of my favorite pod systems ever and even the flimsy materials of the Yearn Neat 2 couldn’t detract from the fact that the flavor is excellent.

But this review isn’t about any of the above devices, it’s about the Uwell Whirl S.

DSC_0001.jpg

What do you get?

• Whirl S starter kit.
  • 2×0.8ohm UN2 coils
  • USB type-C charging cable
  • O-rings/spares
Specifications

• Dimensions: 20×122mm
  • Materials: Stainless steel
  • Juice capacity: 2ml
  • Battery capacity: 1450mAh
  • Power output: 18w
  • Charging method – USB type-C
  • Fire method – fire button/autodraw
DSC_0012.jpg

First impressions

This is all very subjective, but the Whirl S looks and feels classy, the center of the device is polished (and therefore a potential fingerprint magnet) while each end is brushed metal, the fire button is illuminated and there are two small windows to show the juice level.

The only part of the aesthetics that I don’t like is the drip-tip, but thankfully it’s a standard 510 drip-tip, so you can swap that out should you feel the need.

The top-cap unscrews just like a real tank to expose two top-fill ports, which is a billion times better than removing the rubber fill bung that so many devices are currently using.

The tank drops inside the device and is secured by magnets and two small notches – however this leads to me to one complaint, there is a little movement from the tank, not enough for it to fall out, or rattle while in normal use, but the movement is there.

Is this really a starter kit? Yes and no. It has a removable top-fill tank, so I guess you could call it a starter kit. To me, it’s a pod system.

It doesn’t really matter, it does what it does, no matter what type of device you decide it is.

DSC_0074.jpg

Operation

It’s as simple as a vape gets, five clicks on/off and then vape it. The only decision you have to make is if you’re going to use the fire button or rely on autodraw.

Wide open, the autodraw is fantastic, however when I completely closed the airflow it struggled a little, so I tended to use the fire button for tight MTL.

Airflow

The airflow is adjusted by rotating the bottom of the tank, it goes from very tight MTL to loose MTL, while I could force it, I couldn’t get an enjoyable restricted DTL draw from it.

I’d have preferred to have airflow adjustments you can make without having to remove the tank, but it isn’t that important – nice airflow is more important than convenient airflow.

DSC_0087.jpg

How does it vape?

Just like other Uwell products, it has great flavor – the flavor is strong and accurate. While the coils are not compatible with the Caliburn G, they are still 0.8ohm UN2 coils, so it’s a very similar flavor to the Caliburn G, but with a more adjustable vape due to the airflow control and ability to change drip-tips.

However with some juices it feels a little overpowered, this is something I noticed with the Havok and the Aeglos, I found myself running their coils lower than recommended, because that’s where I enjoyed them the most, with the Whirl S the power is non-adjustable, so you’d better get used to a strong and warm vape.

To be fair, it only feels slightly overpowered and the vape is warm, not uncomfortably hot – if you like a warm vape this is going to be perfect, if you find yourself using coils at the lower end of their recommended power range, the Whirl S might be a little too much for you.

DSC_0081.jpg

What I like about the Whirl S

• Aesthetics – if shiny metal vapes are your style, then it looks great.
  • Flavor – broken record time – Uwell’s coils are great and give great flavor.
  • Airflow – full range of MTL, with precise adjustments.
  • 510 Drip-tip – being able to change the drip-tip is not just about looks, wider/narrower bore can tune your vape.
  • Top-fill -screwing off a cap and filling, is the best refill method.
What I dislike about the Whirl S

• Tank fitment – it’s a little loose.
  • Autodraw – it can struggle when the airflow is very tight.
  • Power – it feels a little overpowered, low/medium/high power settings would have been nice.
Ratings

• Flavor 8/10
  • Aesthetics 9/10
  • Build quality 6/10
  • Value 9/10
Conclusion

As a simple MTL device with nice airflow and great flavor, it’s good, but not without a few flaws.

It's not something that I'd recommend as cutting edge vape technology, but for someone wanting a simple device to give up smoking, or as a back up device, it's pretty decent.

Disclaimer

The Uwell Whirl S was provided for the purposes of this review by Healthcabin who currently have it for sale for $13.69, reduced from $26.99, in addition to catering to end users, HealthCabin is also one of the biggest vape wholesale distributors in China, if you're a vape business owner, just contact them to get competitive wholesale prices.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors