Become a Patron!

Vape Education & Safety

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I recently saw this posted on a local FB vape group and thought it may be helpful to some new vapers. I know much of this can be found on this forum, but maybe this format may be helpful to some. I know this would have been useful to me as a new vaper having all the info in one place.

Please correct as needed.

Mods please feel free to remove if you feel it's redundant.

Vape Education & Safety

Battery Saftey:

- Never use damaged batteries
- Keep wraps intact
- Use the right batteries
- Use married batteries
- Use battery cases
- Don’t leave your batteries charging unattended
- Use a dedicated charger
- Do not use your smart phone or tablet charger cable, use the charging cable your battery charger came with
- Do not charge your batteries from your device unless it is an emergency! Charge your batteries with a battery charger
- Don’t exceed the amps of your battery
- Charge your batteries on a clean, flat surface
- Don’t over-drain your batteries
- Avoid extreme temperatures, be aware of the weather

Vaping Glossary

All-Day Vape

An All-Day Vape refers to a flavor that someone would vape for a longer period of time. Many vapers like to switch the flavor of e-liquid throughout the day. However, some vapers may only like these sorts of flavors for a few vaping sessions and have others that they enjoy vaping for longer, and the latter of these is what’s called an All-Day Vape.

Analog

An analog refers to a traditional tobacco-based cigarette and is used within the vaping community to create a distinction between cigarettes and e-cigarettes which are more technologically advanced.

Battery

Also called a rechargeable device, all e-cigarettes are powered using batteries, most of which are rechargeable. The size of the battery will affect how long the e-cigarette can be used for which leads some vapers to opt for larger batteries.

Cartomizer

Cartomizers are essentially the same as clearomizers, but a little older. They usually don’t feature any clear plastic pane, so you can’t monitor your e-liquid level. They also use a slightly different mechanism to send the e-liquid to the coil. Rather than a silica wick, cartomizers use a polyfill substance surrounding the coil to absorb the liquid and send it to the coil to be heated and vaporized.

Charger

The device used to recharge e-cigarette batteries once they have run out. Chargers often come in the form of USB adapters but are also available with adaptors for mains sockets and cars.

Clearomizer

The clearomizer is the part of the e-cigarette that holds e-liquid. It can be unscrewed from the battery and refilled with e-liquid when needed. Clearomizers have a clear plastic pane (hence their name), allowing you to see the amount of e-liquid you have left. blu’s clearomizers use silica wicks to transport the e-liquid to the coil for it to be heated and vaporized.

Closed System E-Cigarette

Sometimes referred to as cig-a-likes, Closed System e-cigarettes use tanks which come ready-filled with e-liquid and screw directly onto the e-cig battery. Unlike with Open System e-cigarettes, there is no need to manually refill the e-liquid.

Cloud Chasing

As vaping has grown, so too has Vaping culture. This has given rise to activities such as Cloud Chasing. Cloud Chasing is the act of exhaling as big and voluminous clouds of vape as possible, often done as part of a competition at vaping events and shops.

Coil

Also referred to as the atomizer, the component of the e-cigarette that turns the e-liquid into vapor by heating it. The coil is found in the centre of the clearomizer or tank.

Disposables

A type of e-cigarette which comes pre-charged with its own measure of e-liquid sealed inside. Disposables can be used instantly and easily thrown away once the battery or e-liquid has run out.

Draw

A draw is a term used to refer to the inhalation of vapor. Depending on personal preferences, different vapers will take longer or shorter draws, and there are also two different methods of inhaling: mouth hits and lung hits. With mouth hits the vapor is inhaled and held in the mouth and with ling hits the vapor is inhaled directly into the lungs.

E-Cigarette

Also known as electronic cigarettes, e-cigs, vaporizers or cig-a-likes, a device used to inhale flavored vapor that can sometimes contain nicotine. E-cigarettes come in many different forms and are also available with different flavors.

E-Liquid

Sometimes called e-juice or simply liquid, this is the liquid which is converted into vapor before it is inhaled. E-liquid comes in a wide variety of flavors and nicotine strengths. There are also different types of e-liquid: PG and VG.

Flavor

E-liquid comes in a variety of different flavors, from more traditional tastes like Tobacco and Menthol to inventive new flavors such as Peach Schnapps and Vanilla. The choice available to vapers enables everyone to find an e-liquid that suits them.

Flavor Ghosting

When a vaper switches e-liquids, the flavor from the previous e-liquid can sometimes still be tasted with the newer flavor, and this is called Flavor Ghosting. To avoid this mixing of flavors, it is recommended that vapers either have separate clearomizers for different e-liquid flavors or thoroughly clean the clearomizer before making the switch.

Flooding

When refilling the clearomizer, e-liquid can sometimes find its way into the center tubing, which in turn can mean it gets into the mouthpiece. This is called flooding, and the best way to avoid it is by taking care not to get any e-liquid in the center tubing and ensuring the clearomizer isn’t overfilled.

mAh

An amp-hour refers to the the amount of charge transferred with a steady current of one amp for an hour. mAh, which stands for milliamp-hour and is more commonly referenced in relation to e-cigarettes, is one-thousandth of an amp-hour. mAh is used to give e-cigarette users an idea of how powerful a battery but, despite the common misconception, mAh does not denote the capacity of a battery.

Mods

Also called Advanced Personal Vaporizers (APVs), these e-cigarettes are used by more advanced vapers and can be personalized in terms of their appearance and power settings.

Mouthpiece

Sometimes referred to as the driptip, the vapor is inhaled through the mouthpiece. On Open System e-cigs such as the blu PROTM, the mouthpiece is removed before refilling the clearomizer. Some other e-cigs have the mouthpiece directly built into the tank.

Nicotine Strength

The amount of nicotine in e-liquid is given as a percentage, milliliters or milligrams. When the nicotine amount in an e-liquid is expressed in either milliliters or milligrams, it is usually implied that this is in a 100ml/mg measure of e-liquid. Therefore an e-liquid said to be 1.6mg in nicotine strength would contain 1.6% nicotine with the remaining 98.4% being made up from the other ingredients.

Ohm

Ohms measure resistance, and the lower the resistance the more electricity will flow through the device. The ohm level can be adjusted on some mods to affect the way the device works.

Open System E-Cigarette

Sometimes called vape pens, Open System e-cigarettes have a clearomizer which is filled with e-liquid manually. The e-cigarette can be disassembled to refill the e-liquid whenever it runs out.

Propylene Glycol

Propylene Glycol (PG) is also used in the production of food and plastics, amongst others, and is more commonly used than Vegetable Glycerin in the production of e-liquid. PG is generally thought to provide vapers with a better throat hit, offers a greater flavor intensity, and may clog up e-cigarettes less than Vegetable Glycerin.

Tank

A tank is a pre-filled container of e-liquid that can be attached to a Closed System e-cigarette and vaped instantly. Tanks cannot be refilled themselves but are easier to transport than e-liquid bottles as there is less chance of spilling. Tanks are available in a variety of flavors and strengths, and as the mouthpiece is contained within the tank itself, switching flavors with tank will not cause flavor ghosting as is the case with Open System e-cigs.

Vaping

The act of inhaling and exhaling vapor from an electronic cigarette. Vaping can also refer to the general practice of using e-cigarettes as well as the specific act of inhaling and exhaling vapor.

Vaper

The name given to e-cigarette users. The term can refer to someone who considers themselves to be a long-time user or can also refer to an individual in the act of vaping.

Vapor

The exhalation that comes from drawing on an e-cigarette, vapor is essentially made up of small water droplets that evaporate shortly after being exhaled. Vapor can either be inhaled into the mouth and absorbed through the cheeks or directly inhaled into the lungs.

Vaper’s Tongue

As the act of vaping draws moisture from the mouth, vapers can often be left with a dry sensation on the tongue after vaping for a period of time. This is called Vaper’s Tongue and can be alleviated by drinking a cold glass of water or orange juice.

Vegetable Glycerin

Vegetable Glycerin (VG) is sweeter than Propylene Glycol, resulting in the flavor of e-liquids that use it as a base to be slightly affected. It’s thicker than Propylene Glycol, which may mean it can clog up the internal machinery of your e-cigarette, if the device isn’t properly maintained. However, it’s judged to provide thicker plumes of vape than Propylene Glycol.

Wick

The wick absorb and then holds the e-liquid from the clearomizer. They are often made from either fabric or cotton, and blu’s wicks are partially made from silica.

mkbkr1

Member For 4 Years
This is very out of date. Your not going to find cartomizers any more, and finding a clearomizer is going to be difficult. No mention of MTL, DTL, subohm, pod systems. You might way to consider updating this to reflect the changes in vaping over the 4-5 years.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Cartos and clearos are both still available if you know where to look and more than a few still use them. Perhaps you can spend an hour of your time updating what you feel is missing @mkbkr1.
Thanks @DonBaldy for taking the time to post some good info.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Cartos and clearos are both still available if you know where to look and more than a few still use them.

I can agree with you regarding this point. Can think of about three, or four places off hand to go look for clearomizers, maybe two, or three for cartomizers. I do not still use either. I might take an urge to try a carto in a glass tank, or simply use it with a regulated mod, drip filling it as I vaped.

This is why I keep knowledge of where to find some of these on file in the attic of my brain. I never can tell about me and those urges. :)

I have forgotten how to build micro coils. Disliked them with a passion. Imagine I could re-learn if I used a carto. "Ha! Lookie here, a 1.8 ohm coil around a 1 mm inner diameter. Quick break out the Ready X wick! Maybe the silica."

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Use married batteries

Damn it! Ah had a couple of batteries that were married. They got to me and decided upon getting a divorce. The rest of my batteries are singles. I think the husband in the married couple saw a fresh and sexy 18650 single, and decided the grass was greener. Wish I could find where I put the married battery relationship counselor phone number. It is causing me sleepless nights knowing I'm not using married batteries. :) ;) :p

I actually do have a set married for using in the "baby" @JuicyLucy sent me. They do not get used for anything but in it and always together, as it is a dual battery box mod. So, no I have no idea about married batteries. *grin*

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is very out of date. Your not going to find cartomizers any more, and finding a clearomizer is going to be difficult. No mention of MTL, DTL, subohm, pod systems. You might way to consider updating this to reflect the changes in vaping over the 4-5 years.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I agree that some of the info is outdated, but there is still a lot of very useful info to me had. Please feel free to add, subtract, or correct any of the info. The goal is to try to help new vapers.

Whether you are vaping a VG or PG based device does not matter. Though some users might find they prefer one over the other, both propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin can be considered safe components in any e-cigarette product. basically that whats in vape juice products right. 2. Inhalation issues

It is likely that the super-heating of e-liquids that takes place in an RBA run at less than 1 ohm will create some toxic materials.

This is just plain logic and should not be seen as anything radically new: burning up refills creates some nasties and there is no way around that. It is likely that materials such as acrolein and aldehydes will be seen in measurable quantities, and some pyrolytic compounds may even be created.

Inhalation of sub-ohm vapor is probably not the same as regular vapor and therefore may have additional risk. It is likely to create conditions where potential carcinogens (cancer-causing agents) will be seen in measurable amounts, and so there must be some elevation of risk, which will escalate as resistance goes down and the heat goes up.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
This is just plain logic and should not be seen as anything radically new: burning up refills creates some nasties and there is no way around that. It is likely that materials such as acrolein and aldehydes will be seen in measurable quantities, and some pyrolytic compounds may even be created.
Inhalation of sub-ohm vapor is probably not the same as regular vapor and therefore may have additional risk. It is likely to create conditions where potential carcinogens (cancer-causing agents) will be seen in measurable amounts, and so there must be some elevation of risk, which will escalate as resistance goes down and the heat goes up.

I am not a scientist, doctor, technician of any kind. That noted I am not exactly desiring to debate or argue with over this. I do want to voice my opinion as a sub ohm user though.

So far, after about a year or so of using sub ohm coils. I have not noted any discernible negative health effects I could attribute to such vaping. Yes, I had kidney stones atrophy a kidney. That however is very likely genetic, my grandmother had bad kidney stones. Others in my family have had them as well. Kidney stones happen even without genetic vectors and naturally. So, I do not think vaping sub ohm had any bearing on that.

I want to kindly suggest here you not throw out the baby in the bath water. Simply because you might not like sub ohm vaping, or do it, does not make it an enemy to discredit.

As I said I'm not by any means any kind of "professional" except perhaps still remaining a possibly capable professional soldier. I know what that requires and can choose to get back in shape for it if I so feel a need. All the "training" is still there and honed sharp. My point though I do have life experience which has taught me sometimes the one you think is a sheep is a wolf in disguise. Now, I don't think you either in this case. You are simply someone trying to help us all educate.

Stick to educating though, please. Do not inject any opinion. Doing that only causes division. Division brings down the whole house. Granted you may have valid proof of your statements regarding sub ohm. If so, please do post those with sources. I apologize for not posting sources here myself but then I am posting anecdote here and not trying to educate, or debate. And I am also trying to avoid stating opinion as best I can. It is a tough balance.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Whether you are vaping a VG or PG based device does not matter. Though some users might find they prefer one over the other, both propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin can be considered safe components in any e-cigarette product. basically that whats in vape juice products right. 2. Inhalation issues

It is likely that the super-heating of e-liquids that takes place in an RBA run at less than 1 ohm will create some toxic materials.

This is only possible at extremely high wattage. In truth tootle puffing on a 1.6 coil with tight mtl in a small 2ml is more prone to releasing more toxins than a sub ohm build with open dl af. Temps are measurably higher, especially for those chain vaping and taking longer pulls.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
This is only possible at extremely high wattage.

Ah, so my wimpy 48/50 watts at "best case with a fully charge 18650 battery" scenario won't cause that release of toxins. I did not think it would. Usually I run around 34.22 watts on average, which is a 0.40 coil. It bumps up to about 45.63 using a 0.30 coil. Adding 34.22 + 45.63 = 78.85 / 2 = 39.92, so then the highest on average I run watt wise would be roughly 40 watts, on a mechanical mod. And yes indeed I do push it hard, not.

My numbers come from here. I used resistance of my coils against the voltage of a battery 3.7 v standard.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Ah, so my wimpy 48/50 watts at "best case with a fully charge 18650 battery" scenario won't cause that release of toxins. I did not think it would. Usually I run around 34.22 watts on average, which is a 0.40 coil. It bumps up to about 45.63 using a 0.30 coil. Adding 34.22 + 45.63 = 78.85 / 2 = 39.92, so then the highest on average I run watt wise would be roughly 40 watts, on a mechanical mod. And yes indeed I do push it hard, not.

My numbers come from here.
Cloud chucked! :giggle:
My watts usually stay under 30 unless I'm feeling rowdy and break out a dual and go up to 50w. Yep...I'm a rebel.:rolleyes:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Cloud chucked! :giggle:
My watts usually stay under 30 unless I'm feeling rowdy and break out a dual and go up to 50w. Yep...I'm a rebel.:rolleyes:

Pfft, lots of times I can do on a single what most "need" a dual to do. *chuckles* Not that I have any great driving need to bother doing it. I might have to break out @JuicyLucy 's gift and try a double coil after while, or not. Probably wind up scorching off my face with two 18650 batteries. *chuckle* Besides I do not think I have anything suited for dual coils RDA wise except maybe a Velocity v2 deck. See how much I really wanted to get into dual coils, eh? Ah well.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
A lil outdated...yes. but all good info for beginners to know.

VU Sponsors