06291fc41931cfaa409d604510b5f047.jpg

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@Chowder, when did you serve? I'm trying to remember what my dad's were...he retired in '87, I think.
90-98, the Gulf War, Dessert Storm, Dessert Shield. Your dad got out just before all the excitement happened! Good time to have done so IMHO. Don't get me wrong, I was honored to have served and do not regret one moment of it. There were just a lot of changes in the military from when I first joined to the time I got out. Including the Clinton draw down that really decimated the moral of the field troops. I can't even imagine what it must be like now with the current regime in place! By the way, thank you dad for me from the bottom of my heart for paving the way before us! (And providing us at VU with the one and only, lovely and talented, @flowerpots !)

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ahhh ok. Yeah, he was out by then. I just thought you might have known him, by chance.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
90-98, the Gulf War, Dessert Storm, Dessert Shield. Your dad got out just before all the excitement happened! Good time to have done so IMHO. Don't get me wrong, I was honored to have served and do not regret one moment of it. There were just a lot of changes in the military from when I first joined to the time I got out. Including the Clinton draw down that really decimated the moral of the field troops. I can't even imagine what it must be like now with the current regime in place! By the way, thank you dad for me from the bottom of my heart for paving the way before us! (And providing us at VU with the one and only, lovely and talented, @flowerpots !)

Indeed. And, to think I tried to join the Navy in 1989....and again in 1993. Denied on the way to MEPS in the morning because I didn't' pass the eye test...

Man, did I luck out.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Indeed. And, to think I tried to join the Navy in 1989....and again in 1993. Denied on the way to MEPS in the morning because I didn't' pass the eye test...

Man, did I luck out.
BELIEVE ME, you didn't miss much!

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
How's the project coming along?

I've got to organize my flavors, I forget I have stuff, order what I already have, it's a mess.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
BELIEVE ME, you didn't miss much!

Well, I did. I missed a career and from what a buddy told me, a whole lot of pain in Gulf I. He came back...wrong. Funny yellow gases fried his brain.

While I would not have had a combat MOS, I would have been technical and cryptological IT support from GER. If I was lucky. If not lucky, I'd have been shipped.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Even funnier?

Even thought i got the same Selective Service as every other U.S. 18-yo. I'm just adopted into a US fam. I'm still a Canadian citizen thanks to ridiculous 1979 immigrations rulings..

Woulda gone anyways.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, I did. I missed a career and from what a buddy told me, a whole lot of pain in Gulf I. He came back...wrong.

While I would not have had a combat MOS, I would have been technical and cryptological IT support from GER. If I was lucky. If not lucky, I'd have been shipped.
Unfortunately (or fortunately in your case), there were no state side (CONUS) or land base billits during that time because the female inlisted could not serve front lines or on shipboard duties. You would have been deployed for your first 4 years. Any other service and you would have been golden for land base somewhere static.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Unfortunately (or fortunately in your case), there were no state side (CONUS) or land base billits during that time because the female inlisted could not serve front lines or on shipboard duties. You would have been deployed for your first 4 years. Any other service and you would have been golden for land base somewhere static.

Hate to tell ya, but I'm a guy. ;-)

They didn't want me any more than the AF did...until they saw my ASVAB scores. Out of HS, I tested at a 98th percentile in mechanical reasoning and spatial dynamics. They liked that a lot.

THEN, they wanted the fuck outa me. This was the late 80's.... the Cold War.
I was bound for Germany and stuff I wouldn't be able to talk about. Sandbox was years away.

Last edited:

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

He tried to get me interested in going to Annapolis. Yeah, no. I'm not the type. I cry when I stump my toe. lol

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hate to tell ya, but I'm a guy. ;-)
I know, that's why you wuld have been deployed! The female inlisted could not forward deploy during that time in the Navy and took up all the state side and land base duties, making it possible to forward deploy the male service inlisted to fight the war going on at that time. YOU would have been deployed to a ship or over seas forward deployed duty station. Clinton started to change this rule and females were starting to be allowed on ships around 94-95 sometime. Fact is that 80% of the females that forward deployed during those early years of trials came back pregnant to get out of their forward deployed positions. Then there was the "Tail Hook" blunder that gave the Navy a huge black eye. The times were changing when I was in active service. As I said, you didn't miss much, except a lot of headaches!

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
He tried to get me interested in going to Annapolis. Yeah, no. I'm not the type. I cry when I stump my toe. lol
Then you would have been PERFECT as an officer! Bunch of whinny, crying, baby, entitled brats! Oh, I'm sorry! Was I thinking out loud again???? Damn brain to mouth filter is broken again!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I know, that's why you wuld have been deployed! The female inlisted could not forward deploy during that time in the Navy and took up all the state side and land base duties, making it possible to forward deploy the male service inlisted to fight the war going on at that time. YOU would have been deployed to a ship or over seas forward deployed duty station. Clinton started to change this rule and female were starting to be allowed on ships around 94-95 sometime. Fact is that 80% of the female that forward deployed during those early years of trials came back pregnant to get out of their forward deployed positions. Then there was the "Tail Hook" blunder that gave the Navy a huge black eye. The times were changing when I was in active service. As I said, you didn't miss much, except a lot of headaches!

I wouldn't have been in field. I'm not suited to it, would have been a detriment to it and more valuable in other slots.

I'm 5'4" and back then I was 130lbs. With an IQ of 142 and a lot of computer skills in 1993.

I was headed to Düsseldorf. There wasn't a war on yet.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I wouldn't have been in field. I'm not suited to it, would have been a detriment to it and more valuable in other slots.

I'm 5'4" and back then I was 130lbs. With an IQ of 142 and a lot of computer skills in 1993.

I was headed to Düsseldorf. There wasn't a war on yet.
It took a lot of skill to run MS DOS and Linux. I don't remember any other operating systems in wide spread use in 93. Do you still work computers?

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My father was a systems admin for AT&T, he did MS DOS, Linux. Those were some crazy years for him. I don't work computers. I turn it on and type, that's my computer knowledge. lol

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It took a lot of skill to run MS DOS and Linux. I don't remember any other operating systems in wide spread use in 93. Do you still work computers?

Work, no. But my Win7 box has been running like kitten since 2007.
Yeah, I like *nix. Used it first in 1990's VAX-land... telnet from a BBS dorway into a Uni...lol

First distro? Red Hat 4. From the Public Library.
I beta-tested virtual machine hosting for RH5...at Enyxma.....fsck that all to hell.

I crashed and burned out in 1998 doing support for win98...lol.

I miss when protocols were named after comix....;-)

Veronica may be dead, but Gopherspace is forever....people think SirDouche's WWW IS the Internet, it is not. Now that we have IPv6...muhahaaa.....dark was never darker.

cqffh.gif

Last edited:

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My father was a systems admin for AT&T, he did MS DOS, Linux. Those were some crazy years for him. I don't work computers. I turn it on and type, that's my computer knowledge. lol
But you do it sooooooo well! Just check out your member status! I bow to your ablity to capitalize the knowledge and technology of others to perpetuate the betterment, knowledge base, and entertainment of our small community on VU! YOU, PRETTY GIRL, ROCK!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Well, I still want to hug you everytime I see you. :)

G33k-ness:

0101100101101111011101010010000001100001011100100110010100100000011011000110111101110110011001010110110001111001

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Work, no. But my Win7 box has been running like kitten since 2007.
Yeah, I like *nix. Used it first in 1990's VAX-land... telnet from a BBS dorway into a Uni...lol

First distro? Red Hat 4. From the Public Library.
I beta-tested virtual machine hosting for RH5...at Enyxma.....fsck that all to hell.

I crashed and burned out in 1998 doing support for win98...lol.

I miss when protocols were named after comix....;-)

Veronica may be dead, but Gopherspace is forever....people think SirDouche's WWW IS the Internet, it is not. Now that we have IPv6...muhahaaa.....dark was never darker.

cqffh.gif
HELP! I NEED A TEENAGER AGAIN TO TRANSLATE! Lol! Oh, and I thought Al Gore created the internet, according to him that is! Nope, in reality, the internet is still ran on the backbone of the DARPA Net. You don't think the government just gave it away for nothing do you?

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's funny @CaFF, all I can see is a light going on and off when I look at that:

0101100101101111011101010010000001100001011100100110010100100000011011000110111101110110011001010110110001111001

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A line is just a point with two ends. Who ends up where, is anyone's guess. ;-)

Perhaps, it is a Mobius Strip Tease?

I'm not sure, but I think she might get tired of an endless line (train?) of hugs! No matter how pleasent at the first.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
HELP! I NEED A TEENAGER AGAIN TO TRANSLATE! Lol! Oh, and I thought Al Gore created the internet, according to him that is! Nope, in reality, the internet is still ran on the backbone of the DARPA Net. You don't think the government just gave it away for nothing do you?

Actually, it was ARPANET. DARPA was later and mainly is for ...other later projects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARPANET

I'm In WA, home to Hanford, Fairchild AFB and a lot of secrets. ;-)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm not sure, but I think she might get tired of an endless line (train?) of hugs! No matter how pleasent at the first.

Hmm, I'm not even gonna reply to that directly. Her mind is naughty enough as-is without help.

I also know she's smart enough to find out what it means, if she chooses to, or I wouldn't have written it. ;)

rowdyplace

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
How's the project coming along?

I've got to organize my flavors, I forget I have stuff, order what I already have, it's a mess.

That's what I have been doing for a week. I'll show you where I am tomorrow...with pics...
(Yea, had to pee again...)

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I should have clarified to the N^th degree! Sorry, my mistake! However, ARPA and DARPA are the same agency. ARPA was first and morphed into DARPA. But your point is well played, sir!

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's what I have been doing for a week. I'll show you where I am tomorrow...with pics...
(Yea, had to pee again...)
I was wandering where you ran off to for another 45-90 minutes!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I should have clarified to the N^th degree! Sorry, my mistake! However, ARPA and DARPA are the same agency. ARPA was first and morphed into DARPA. But your point is well played, sir!

No worries.
I didn't mean to be splicing hairs, but it's early infrastructure does make a difference in the evolution and politics of the current Internet. :)

rowdyplace

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
OK, no more bitching... I'm thankful that the plumbing still works...
(A bitching sailor is a happy sailor...)

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Some nights I think I should just sleep in the bathroom. I wouldn't have to walk as much... I could invent a combination "bucket & a bunk"...

Bed pans were invented in the first or second centry. They were called chamber pots. Just in case you were interested in rekindaling the pratice! LOL

OK, no more bitching... I'm thankful that the plumbing still works...
(A bitching sailor is a happy sailor...)

AMEN! (AND that's no lol matter!)

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No worries.
I didn't mean to be splicing hairs, but it's early infrastructure does make a difference in the evolution and politics of the current Internet. :)
Not complaining, but I will banter all night long!;):p

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's still too damn warm in here, but gotta try to sleep.

Cthulhu Approves...

rAs5Ujp.jpg
An HP reference, Love it! I do like his writings, but perfer Brian Lumley! You sir, have a good night!

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hello......Helloooo???????

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I now see the error in my ways....

I used to try and grow superhot chiles in my Apt.

vrzsbd.jpg

I should have used... @flowerpots. ;)
  • Much more productive
  • Likely a better scent
  • provides the same warmth
  • lovely in bloom
You are not thinking of getting into WA State's newest industry are you @Ace? LOL

VU Sponsors