Become a Patron!

Vaping And Beer

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Belgium has sooo many great beers. It's just bonkers how many there are here. I'll likely die of old age before I manage to sample them all. And God knows I've been working hard at it for years :)

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know what you mean - there are more than 80 active breweries (and another dozen or so under construction) in San Diego County alone, most producing 4-5 quality products each (and rotating new ones in seasonally). With a handful of high-minded liquor store owners with a good taste for imports, I know there'll never be a time I can't walk into one of my favorite bottle shops or pubs and try something I've never seen before. Love it.

MoocH 1

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Show Host
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I stopped drinking in 2009. This, ironically, prevents the inevitable bet that would have ended my life.
The following is a dramatic reenactment of parallel universe Mooch. One in which drinking and vaping is a common occurrence.
Random Party Guy: Mooch I'll give you ten dollars to drink that bottle of vodka and use the 30ml Halcyon as a chaser.
Mooch: That's unequivocally the worst idea to ever be presented to me...wait, did you say ten dollars?
(Cut to hospital)
End scene.

MoocH 1

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Show Host
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
It's what HST would have wanted for us.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@MoocH 1: there's a difference between boozing and drinking responsibly. Me, I strive for quality drinking - whereby I have a good time and still keep my humanity in one piece, as opposed to ingesting massive amount of anything that has alcohol in it just to get silly drunk.

Also, I never drink alone, or at home. I just have no desire to. And, I'm one of the lucky few who have some kind of genuine hard limit for alcohol: if I go overboard, my body feels deathly sick before I'm even drunk, and I pay dearly for the next 48 hours afterward.

MoocH 1

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Show Host
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I had a quantified remedy for post drinking bodily repercussions...
More drinking.
From the people who brought you drinking...try more drinking. More drinking has been proven in over 100 scientific clinical studies to reduce the side effects of post drinking in nine out of ten patients... even David Hasselhoff! Want to stop feeling bad from too much drinking? Try more drinking! But wait there's more! If you act now-and for a limited time- we'll also throw in our patented 'Less moving!' Want to drink but feel hindered by common nuisances like getting up and using the restroom? Now you never have to again. Our sophisticated 'more alcohol' technology will have you rendered helpless with almost NO additional effort. So act now. You've worked hard and you've drank hard. Hasn't your body suffered enough? Relief is only a shot glass away...It's More Drinking!
(More drinking is a paid for advertisement by the pharmaceutical companies...did we say pharmaceutical? We meant Happy Man co incorporated. Shhhh...you never saw this.)

Our experiences were slightly different, I take it.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Howdy fellas! Today we have Grimbergen double brown beer and cherry-flavored vape. Yummy...
Prost!

IMG_20140916_173326.jpg

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Howdy! Today is a hot, glorious sunny day - the likes of which Belgium could do more with, really. But I digress. So we'll start off with something light: brown Rodenbach beer with rum-raisin vape. It's match made in heaven, as the brown Rodenbach has bitter grape, or wine-ish undertones itself.
Cheers!

IMG_20140917_172041.jpg

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
... followed by a Warsage brown beer, Gouda cheese and unflavored VG. A very light beer, so the VG will let the previous rum-raisin flavor fade away gracefully, to let the beer talk in a charge or two.

IMG_20140917_174228.jpg

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey y'all! Today, it's McChouffe brown beer with apple vape. Fruity fruity :)

IMG_20140918_172117.jpg

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is it common for pubs/restaurants in Belgium to have glasses straight from the brewery for every beer they serve? I've been noticing your pics, and I'm just thinking of the stockroom nightmare that would create for brewpubs I frequent with 30-60 tap handles and bottle lists topping 100...however, it seems from your eccentricity, there's no lack of choices available to you either.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, serving beer in the wrong glass is a big no-no here. Most bars have at least a couple of glasses of each type of beer they carry (more for more popular brews obviously), and often the corresponding coasters and glass skirts as well. All that stuff is supplied by the breweries for free with the orders of beers.

Most small establishments offer between 15 and 30 beers, so they don't have to stock up too many glasses. But since they don't all offer the same beers, the trick is to visit as many as possible to find out which beers are available where :)

The biggest one in my area offers over 800 beers, so when I'm in the mood for something in particular and I'm not sure where to find it, I usually fall back to that place. But it's a bit too crowded for my taste, and I can't vape inside.

GreaseMonkey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I visited Brussels(spell check?) while I was out in Germany for a few months, it was awesome. Went to the delirium cafe, loved the barrel tables lol, was there around the time they had the lego expo at the musuem last winter. But I have never had any problems with hydration while drinking and vaping, aside from the norm that comes with drinking of course.

There are alot of places that offer a large variety of beer, World of Beer being one of the largest, where I live right now there is a WoB as well as a few locally owned bars with a similar menu as well as a focus on the local craft breweries.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Today: Gulden Draak quadruple beer with unflavored VG. Very light, dry amber beer that would get drowned by any vape flavor. The faintly sweet taste of VG complements it well too.

IMG_20140919_164047.jpg

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
... followed by Hercule Stout brown beer, with beer-flavored vape from Club Aroma. Beeeeer!
Can you guess who's depicted on the bottle and on the mug? Those in the UK should know :)

IMG_20140919_170629.jpg

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Today: Hoegaarden white beer with pear-flavored vape. Bottoms up guys!

IMG_20140920_112554.jpg

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not usually big on stouts, but since I've been a big fan of everything else to come out of Mother Earth, here's their Sin Tax imperial stout. Pairs well with Cereal Killer, a fruity children's cereal flavored vape...09.20.14 mother earth sin tax.jpg

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another Mother Earth - this one an English style IPA. Nice change from the hop bombs of West Coast style IPAs...09.18.14 mother earth boo koo.jpg

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Today: Julius blond beer and raspberry vape - both very sweet and fruity.

IMG_20140924_172419.jpg

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another English IPA, this one from a local homebrewer who won a Home Brew Mart (the OG Ballast Point) contest...quite refreshing with MBV Hawk Sauce, one of my vape stalwarts...also cooked up some spaghetti for dinner, and I assure you the Alkaline Trio sticker on the recipe binder is an unfortunate result of my wife's occasional music faux pas...09.23.14 home brew mart homework 3 - english ipa.jpg

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow, this is the beer / vape combo of the CENTURY: Ardenne Stout from Brasserie de Bastogne and mirabelle plum juice from Vincent dans les Vapes: the former is an oak barrel-aged stout, and let me tell you, does it taste of oak or what! A for the latter, you just gotta try it: best mirabelle plum ever.

That combo is the most orgasmic experience you can have with your pants on. I kid you not!

IMG_20141030_165414.jpg

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's been a long time since I last posted in this thread, but today I just gotta...

Holy crap! Here's a match made in heaven: Harviestoun Ola Dubh 12 (a beer from Scotland, aged for 12 years in oak whisky casks) with Vincent Dans Les Vapes 100% VG coconut-flavored juice.

Holy crap... Now that's a special afternoon...

tmp_20767-IMG_20150402_1646091178311826.jpg

Last edited:

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just got me another bottle. At 9 euros per bottle... ouch! But I just had to...
The coconut juice bottle is going fast.
I'm pretty cooked too :)

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Today: Bertinchamps Triple farm beer with all-natural violet-flavored juice. An earthy, "serious talking" blond beer with a zesty juice that's making fun of it. If you want to experience what I'm tasting right now, listen to The Duel Of The Jester And The Tyrant by Return To Forever: it's telling the exact same story :)

God I love Belgium - so many great beers!

tmp_24979-IMG_20150410_1740121178311826.jpg

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Today: Caulier Brune with a mix of liquorice- and citrus-flavored juices. A malty brown beer and a bitter vape that complements it perfectly.

tmp_380-IMG_20150411_1350331178311826.jpg

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
... followed by a Bertinchamps Triple beer (same as yesterday - I love that brew) but with anise vape this time. It works well too. Not as well as with violet though...

tmp_23543-IMG_20150411_1427551178311826.jpg

Oberon75

Member For 4 Years
Today: Bertinchamps Triple farm beer with all-natural violet-flavored juice. An earthy, "serious talking" blond beer with a zesty juice that's making fun of it. If you want to experience what I'm tasting right now, listen to The Duel Of The Jester And The Tyrant by Return To Forever: it's telling the exact same story :)

God I love Belgium - so many great beers!

View attachment 18589
Lots of good beers out of Belgium. I just wish the good ones weren't so damn expensive.

Sent from my HTC One M8 Harman/Kardon edition

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Watching your ballclub lose is a little easier with a local Stone special brew...just one for now due to the 9.0 ABV, but a nice dark brown ale (we left-coasters in the US are known more for our hop-forward pale ales) that pairs well with a cereal-type vape I mixed up as a variant of the Tonguefuck recipe I found in another thread...

Attachments

• stone mutt brown.jpg
    stone mutt brown.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 7

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Interesting - we don't get a lot of Leffe variants out here, though I will on occasion enjoy one of their "normal" brews...

Leffe is a sort of cheap higher-end beer here in Belgium - i.e. a notch above the local equivalent of Budweiser, but still reasonably priced. I think a Leffe Brune brown beer runs at 2.50 euros per bottle. The most exclusive beers, like Westvleteren brews - which aren't necessarily the best ones, mind you - can fetch north of 10 euros. But that's just because there aren't many bottles produced every year, and they tend to be hard to come by.

Of course, on the export market, they're more expensive: I remember ordering a Chimay Bleue in Finland that cost me 9 euros. Yikes! Chimay is kind of like Leffe beer here - a good, upmarket but still el-cheapo beer you drink when watching the ball game :)Them poor Finns were made to think it's something special, just by virtue of the fact that it was expensive in their own country.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Watching your ballclub lose is a little easier with a local Stone special brew...just one for now due to the 9.0 ABV, but a nice dark brown ale (we left-coasters in the US are known more for our hop-forward pale ales) that pairs well with a cereal-type vape I mixed up as a variant of the Tonguefuck recipe I found in another thread...

"Tonguefuck" eh? What an interesting name. Sounds like something you'd want to vape when your club loses alright :)

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"Tonguefuck" eh? What an interesting name. Sounds like something you'd want to vape when your club loses alright :)
It's a fruity breakfast cereal - goes well with maltier beer profiles versus the fruits that generally accompany the hop bombs I'm usually drinking...

Both Leffe and Chimay are treated as super-premium here, $8-10 USD for a Leffe sixer and about the same for a single bottle of Chimay (I want to say they're about 750 ml)...a bit sweet and fizzy for my taste, but a nice change-of-pace offering.

pjerzy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Last night I had some Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald porter and was vaping a raspberry cheesecake. They went well together and neither over powered the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A good friend of ours from Germany owns a Cessna airplane. He purchases parts online and has them shipped to our house (in the US), and picks them up when on a business trip. Aircraft parts are incredibly expensive in Germany.

He fills up a suitcase with great beers and gives them to us each time he visits. Needless to say, I really look forward to when Thomas visits.

I'm envious Giraut, those Belgium and German beers are nectar of the gods. Nothing made in the US even comes close.

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Today: Hoegaarden white beer with pear-flavored vape. Bottoms up guys!

View attachment 5978

Hoegaarden is one of my favorite Beers! I regularly drink it here in Canada, its the perfect summer beer. One thing I admire about Belgians is they always pair a beer with the perfect glass;). This is something we need to start doing in North America.

Pouring into the correct shape glass is becoming more common in the US as craft beers gain popularity. However, with the tap turnover in most pubs getting the correct brewer's labeled glass with the same brewer's offering is something that I don't see happening. Most pubs will only buy 1 half barrel per beer. The brewer will provide a tap handle for it, but adding a bunch of glasses as well? Very few pubs would have time for that, even if the brewers would pop for the glasses.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Today: Sur-Les-Bois Brune brown beer and ELiquid France Exotic: a VERY malty beer (one of the maltiest beers I've ever tasted) and a VERY fruity juice. As soon as I mixed the two in my mouth, the absurd image of Napoleon's Armee du Nord doing battle in Barbados sprang to my mind. So odd :) But the two have such dissimilar flavors they end up going together like a house on fire. Wow!

tmp_16728-IMG_20150718_190549-436365260.jpg

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's high time I revived this thread. I really let myself go :)

Today, an old classic: Leffe bruin beer with hazelnut-flavored juice.

36259532275_62a6b65a64_b.jpg

Canadian Vaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I drink way too much beer, I also vape twice as much as I normally do when I drink beer but I've been following this rule for about 10 years now to help stave off hangovers (before I started vaping), 500ml water before I go out drinking, every 6 beers another 500ml water and 500ml water before bed, I do drink the bigger 500ml cans though so for most people around 8 beers would suffice I guess...

Went out drinking with some co-workers once, one asked my why I was drinking water, welp when I showed up at work on time and he didn't he got the idea...

VU Sponsors