Become a Patron!

Vaping for years...just now started feeling bad and coughing

So I quit smoking well over five years ago bc I discovered vaping. Did great. Could run without stopping and no shortness of breath and now lately I have been coughing a lot and almost feel as if I cannot breathe. I have had some unwanted comments from paramedics etc before all this started saying that vaping was worse than smoking cigarettes, and I did not take this seriously since I felt so much better. Why am I all of a sudden coughing every time I take a pull off my vape? I am only on 3 mg. of nicotine? I do vape a lot. More when I am bored. I am just wondering if this "popcorn lung" that the paramedics warned me of is a real thing and what the frig is popcorn lung?
kaycee

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
hmm interesting first post.
Seriously.
Have you recently changed ejuice?
flavorings in some juice cause inflammation in my mouth, throat and lungs.

unless something like that it is likely not vaping related and you should see a doctor in any case.
Could be a cardio pulmonary issue and be serious.
or you could have low level walking pneumonia.
or even dry knuckles!!

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So I quit smoking well over five years ago bc I discovered vaping. Did great. Could run without stopping and no shortness of breath and now lately I have been coughing a lot and almost feel as if I cannot breathe. I have had some unwanted comments from paramedics etc before all this started saying that vaping was worse than smoking cigarettes, and I did not take this seriously since I felt so much better. Why am I all of a sudden coughing every time I take a pull off my vape? I am only on 3 mg. of nicotine? I do vape a lot. More when I am bored. I am just wondering if this "popcorn lung" that the paramedics warned me of is a real thing and what the frig is popcorn lung?
kaycee

Popcorn Lung is the favorite bogeyman of those who hate vaping. It's called that because it has only ever been found, and very rarely at that, in one or two people who worked in factories that made and packaged microwave popcorn; it's attributed to the "butter" flavor powder. The condition is actually bronchiolitis obliterans, but, a) you can't expect idiots to know an actual latin disease name, and b) it has NEVER been found in a vaper.

It sounds to me more like you may have some type of bronchial infection, OR, a fresh onset of COPD -- just because you quit smoking 5 yrs ago does not excuse you of the cumulative effects of how ever many years you smoked cigarettes. Be smart, go to a doctor and get checked out, because who knows, it might even be something worse than COPD; early detection generally always leads to a better outcome.

But most of all... don't blame it on vaping. You didn't say how many years you smoked, but it's a damn good bet that whatever is wrong with you is NOT because of vaping; the cumulative effects of many years of smoking don't just disappear because you quit.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
But most of all... don't blame it on vaping. You didn't say how many years you smoked, but it's a damn good bet that whatever is wrong with you is NOT because of vaping; the cumulative effects of many years of smoking don't just disappear because you quit.
Ohh yes the results and risk factors of smoking does not just magically totally disappear when you quit smoking.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Like @AndriaD said, popcorn lung is merely a boogeyman. It could be the liquid you're using or it could be your wicks need changing. If I don't rewick often enough, that happens to me (makes me cough etc). It's because of the burnt bits of wick. Shortness of breath is most likely whatever flavor you're using. Some flavors cause me a slight tightness in the chest (especially cream flavors). Part of it is the years of smoking, part of it is allergies. Change your wick and change flavors. If you're vaping something with cream flavoring, try changing to a fruit w/o creams.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I vape ss mesh wicks, in the morning when I pick up my mod I just puff the first dozen or so vapes until the wick is warmed up and the juice is flowing otherwise it makes me cough...then I can take a real drag.

VU Sponsors