Become a Patron!

Vaping makes me cough.

I don't know why that should be. Cigarettes don't cause me to cough. I wonder why that is. Maybe its the tar in cigarettes that help shield my lungs to some degree. I tried looking up the problem of vaping causing you to cough. It said that it was the nicotine in vape juice that causes that problem. They suggested holding the smoke in your mouth for a moment before inhaling. Also, when I bought my vape pen, I got the the vape juice that was just below the maximum amount in the vape juice that the vape store sold. Could it be that I got vape juice with too high of a nicotine content? What do you think.

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Cigarettes have a cough suppressant in them. It's normal (and good) to cough when you start vaping.
Find a flavor you like and slowly reduce the % of nicotine and relax.
Keep your equipment clean and replace your coils when they get dirty.
The new disposable devices are a LOT better than they used to be.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Try inhaling less vapor at a time. Even between vape mods and disposables, there are differences in how much you may need to inhale before you have a coughing fit. One uses regular vape juice, and the other uses nic salts. You really do not need to inhale much at all when using disposables with nic salts in them.

Cigarettes have a cough suppressant in them. It's normal (and good) to cough when you start vaping.
Find a flavor you like and slowly reduce the % of nicotine and relax.
Keep your equipment clean and replace your coils when they get dirty.
The new disposable devices are a LOT better than they used to be.

Through the Brave browser, I did an AI search as to whether or not cigarettes have a cough suppressant in them. Turns out, they don't. In fact, the AI said that for some individuals, nicotine can act as a cough suppressant. Also, the vape shop I bought my vape stuff from makes their own vape juice. I have heard on the news about some of the chemicals they put into vape juice turned out to be harmful. The kind of vape juice I wanted they made. The kind with only two chemicals in it. Nicotine and Propylene Glycol.

Try inhaling less vapor at a time. Even between vape mods and disposables, there are differences in how much you may need to inhale before you have a coughing fit. One uses regular vape juice, and the other uses nic salts. You really do not need to inhale much at all when using disposables with nic salts in them.

With the vape pen that I had, it didn't put out much smoke to begin with. I have seen people vaping who exhaled a big cloud of smoke. What I had wasn't like that at all. As for "nic salts," I've never heard of that. My vape pen broke, so I went looking on the internet for replacements. I saw some that apparently were made to burn something dry. Is that what you are talking about?

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The kind with only two chemicals in it. Nicotine and Propylene Glycol.
This is why you are coughing and why there is not any vapor/clouds being produced. PG by itself is harsh and produces little to no vapor. Adding VG will produce vapor and will not be as harsh.
I saw some that apparently were made to burn something dry.
Those are made to consume wacky tobaccy, herb, weed, what ever you want to call it. We do not talk about those here.
As for "nic salts," I've never heard of that.
Nic salts are nicotine that has gone through a process that removes the harshness so you can get the effects of nicotine while vaping less. Salt juice is generally used in pod mods at higher concentrations approaching 50 mg/ml.
I have heard on the news about some of the chemicals they put into vape juice turned out to be harmful.
That is when some tried to use vapes that contained THC and other chemicals. What we vape is PG, VG, nicotine, and food grade flavorings that are typically carried in PG.

As an FYI we do not smoke we vape as there is no burning of material to produce smoke. E-liquids are vaporized which produces a vapor cloud.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Cough when you first start vaping is your body saying, wait a min...this isn't smoke, what is this? -reject-reject.
So what you do is take tiny puffs of vape every time you want to smoke, you don't have to see vapor on the exhale at first. Key being, don't cough. If you cough you've inhaled too much. Your still going to smoke after that because that wont get you enough nic. So then smoke to get your fix. Then repeat the process every time you want to pick up a cig. before too long you'll find yourself able to inhale more vapor, reducing the need for smoke. Keep doing that till the vape replaces the cig.

Took me 2 weeks from 1.5+ pks a day but it can take longer. Just stay with it.

This is why you are coughing and why there is not any vapor/clouds being produced. PG by itself is harsh and produces little to no vapor. Adding VG will produce vapor and will not be as harsh.

Those are made to consume wacky tobaccy, herb, weed, what ever you want to call it. We do not talk about those here.

Nic salts are nicotine that has gone through a process that removes the harshness so you can get the effects of nicotine while vaping less. Salt juice is generally used in pod mods at higher concentrations approaching 50 mg/ml.

That is when some tried to use vapes that contained THC and other chemicals. What we vape is PG, VG, nicotine, and food grade flavorings that are typically carried in PG.

As an FYI we do not smoke we vape as there is no burning of material to produce smoke. E-liquids are vaporized which produces a vapor cloud.

You could be right about PG being harsh. But when I looked up the reason why with the Brave browser AI as to why vaping makes you cough, it said that it was the nicotine that caused that. It didn't mention PG as being the culprit. Of course I could have skipped the AI and looked over what was listed on the internet myself. But the AI does that a lot better and faster than I could.

Next, I am fairly new to vaping. The only reason why I did so at all is because when I go on my main main shopping trip once a month, I have my brother give me a ride. And he doesn't like me smoking in his car. But vaping is ok. So I hope you won't think I am too stupid by asking, what is VG.

I also mentioned to some degree as to why I chose to get my vape juice with only PG and nicotine. A further reason why is that about 4 years ago they had something going around the news about vaping. It spoke of some younger people who were actually getting lung damage from vaping. That is because one of the chemicals they used turned into something harmful when it was vaporized. Which was an unexpected consequence. If there is anything else that can be added to vape juice that on the surface seems safe, but when turned into vapor turns into something harmful, I want to avoid that at all costs. I take it that "VG" isn't one of those. Or I doubt if you would have suggested it. But when it comes to making you cough, when it is you vs AI, you were apparently wrong about the answer. Maybe you would be equally wrong concerning any possible harmful effects of "VG."

AI only knows what ppl tell it to know. Ppl here know more about vaping than AI does.
Get your vaping knowledge from experienced vapers. And it's doubtful you'll fine those ppl at a vape shop.

As you know, when you look up a subject on the internet, many pages of websites comes up dealing with the topic. The Brave browser's AI does all that a lot faster than I can. I ask it what I want to know and it will go through who knows how many websites to find some answers. (Yes, there are usually many answers provided) AI is a useful thing. It might also interest you to know that AI requires 5 times more power to do an internet search than doing it yourself does. That is because it goes through far more information far faster than any human could.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
As you know, when you look up a subject on the internet, many pages of websites comes up dealing with the topic. The Brave browser's AI does all that a lot faster than I can. I ask it what I want to know and it will go through who knows how many websites to find some answers. (Yes, there are usually many answers provided) AI is a useful thing. It might also interest you to know that AI requires 5 times more power to do an internet search than doing it yourself does. That is because it goes through far more information far faster than any human could.
Yep. Understand all that. What I was getting at is: all the web pages it draws the info from...> what's true and accurate? what's trustworthy? all come down to the ppl(person) who wrote the info AI got it from. What if it gets it from a research that was produced by a company, that was hired by the one's paying them...an intity ? Do you not think that the researcher's results will coincide with their clients position or viewpoints? Or do you think for e.g., Moms and Dads Against Vaping hired a research firm that they knew would give them the results they want?

Anyone can get any article or research to say what they want it to say. Hence the need for real world experience, as in vaping.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Seems every other post says Brave browser. You promoting?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
You could be right about PG being harsh. But when I looked up the reason why with the Brave browser AI as to why vaping makes you cough, it said that it was the nicotine that caused that. It didn't mention PG as being the culprit. Of course I could have skipped the AI and looked over what was listed on the internet myself. But the AI does that a lot better and faster than I could.

Next, I am fairly new to vaping. The only reason why I did so at all is because when I go on my main main shopping trip once a month, I have my brother give me a ride. And he doesn't like me smoking in his car. But vaping is ok. So I hope you won't think I am too stupid by asking, what is VG.

I also mentioned to some degree as to why I chose to get my vape juice with only PG and nicotine. A further reason why is that about 4 years ago they had something going around the news about vaping. It spoke of some younger people who were actually getting lung damage from vaping. That is because one of the chemicals they used turned into something harmful when it was vaporized. Which was an unexpected consequence. If there is anything else that can be added to vape juice that on the surface seems safe, but when turned into vapor turns into something harmful, I want to avoid that at all costs. I take it that "VG" isn't one of those. Or I doubt if you would have suggested it. But when it comes to making you cough, when it is you vs AI, you were apparently wrong about the answer. Maybe you would be equally wrong concerning any possible harmful effects of "VG."
It could have been expected. With the feds trying to stamp out vaping instead of regulating e-liquid, left a scenario for ppl the prey on the public, causing illness and death. But it was outside the realm of what vaping actually is, which includes the use of e-liquid containing safer proven ingredients.

If you're using only PG (+nic), this would be the main reason for the cough. PG produces a throat hit, like a cig has. E-liquid should be mostly Vegetable Glycerin, some use 50/50 but not many. Mostly 70-80VG/30PG

If you're using this on road trips to not smoke, you're just kidding yourself. You should be vaping all the time and no cigs.

You should be so much more afraid of smoking than using e-liquid.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Polypropylene Glycol (PG) is the primary carrier for flavors and is also used in asthma inhalers. Some folks are allergic to PG which is why most current ejuices contain a lot of Vegetable Glycerin (VG). VG also produces more clouds than PG.

The lung damage was caused by counterfeit pods that contained THC (what gets you high with weed) and carriers that were not really safe for vaping. We don't use those in nicotine vaping. Just nicotine (what I use is carried in PG), PG, VG, and food grade flavorings. I make my own (DIY) and I haven't bought pre-made ejuice in many years. I'm still alive and kicking after 11 years of vaping.

AI in general is GIGO, garbage in, garbage out... It all depends on the sourcing of the info.

VU Sponsors