Become a Patron!

Vaping Nostalgia

Ruppy_bear

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Anyone here feel nostalgic lately?

I remember before pods were a huge hit, we would have group meets with other vapers. We hangout either at a cafe or a vape shop and he talk/chill. We try each other’s juice, tank, mod and what not. We weren’t trying to show off or anything, just a simple meet. But since pods became a hit and a lot of ppl made the transition into pods, the meets kinda died cuz everyone had almost the same pod mod with the same flavour. Nothing new. I kinda do miss that a bit.

Also my ego-t, the first time experiencing e-juice. It felt unique and kinda got me to opened to whole new can of worms lol........but it great way.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Anyone here feel nostalgic lately?

I remember before pods were a huge hit, we would have group meets with other vapers. We hangout either at a cafe or a vape shop and he talk/chill. We try each other’s juice, tank, mod and what not. We weren’t trying to show off or anything, just a simple meet. But since pods became a hit and a lot of ppl made the transition into pods, the meets kinda died cuz everyone had almost the same pod mod with the same flavour. Nothing new. I kinda do miss that a bit.

Also my ego-t, the first time experiencing e-juice. It felt unique and kinda got me to opened to whole new can of worms lol........but it great way.
Not a lot of vapers where I live. Might see 2 a week if lucky when out. I knew a couple of vapers that I used to give things away to that I would get when I did the odd review elsewhere but neither of them vape any more. Though I once saw a 4wd with huge clouds coming out the drivers window, it even had personalised number plates VAPER or VAPING, something like that. Was funny to see. :giggle:
The invasion of the Pods now for sure. :D

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
How fortuitous of you to post this today. I was going through some papers and found the receipt for my very first vape hardware purchase plus a birthday card envelope where I was going to put ALL of my vaping receipts. Little did I know.

556f3fb52507224e0a983c460e3e8eab.jpg

Sent from a bar across town.

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
How fortuitous that you posted this today. I was going through some papers and found the receipt for my very first vape hardware purchase plus a birthday card envelope where I was going to put ALL of my vaping receipts. Little did I know.

556f3fb52507224e0a983c460e3e8eab.jpg

Sent from a bar across town.

Verified age > 26 :teehee:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here's my first vape receipt:

FQbY17y.jpg

For my E-power Kit.
bsStb.jpg

The 30ml bottle of CCV's juice was a freebie, as was the aluminum DT...still have it. :)
Still have the mod too and the two original 14650 batteries still work eight years later.

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Verified age > 26 :teehee:
Hehe. I knew someone was going to call me out on that. :rolleyes:

Here's my first vape receipt: For my E-power Kit.
The 30ml bottle of CCV's juice was a freebie, as was the aluminum DT...still have it. :)
Still have the mod too and the two original 14650 batteries still work eight years later.
I wish I would have saved my Kanger kit. I really liked it. I still love Kanger stuff. Even if I bought it at the current, inflated price that it is now, it wouldn't be made as sturdy as it was then. I just bought new Picos and the quality isn't near what it was with the originals.

I love those aluminum DTs. I ordered some from FT a few months ago to make sure they were nice & solid. Gonna order a couple more.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hehe. I knew someone was going to call me out on that. :rolleyes:

I wish I would have saved my Kanger kit. I really liked it. I still love Kanger stuff. Even if I bought it at the current, inflated price that it is now, it wouldn't be made as sturdy as it was then. I just bought new Picos and the quality isn't near what it was with the originals.

I love those aluminum DTs. I ordered some from FT a few months ago to make sure they were nice & solid. Gonna order a couple more.

Just good natured ribbing - us being ladies at all :giggle:

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea I miss how it was when I started. Sometime mid 2016, might've even hit my 4yr mark by now. And I did, checked the email. 3-15 v2 shipped the cigalike setup so I likely got it like the 20th. Yea I'm horrible, I don't have a known 'vapeaversary' date, don't have one of those quit smoking trackers or any of that. Got my ego set like a month or month and a half later.

Vaping just seemed to be more fun. More businesses were smaller, online anyway. No clue what the local shops are like and still don't. There were new juices, new devices, there were still new progressions in mods. Now it's all the same old shit. Before the suckage that's pods. Maybe I was just clueless about it then, seemed like things were done for fun. Reviews, reviewers, coil makers. Not saying some weren't doing it for profit, but holy hell.

Now it's like walking down the street in Chicago. Pay me, pay me, wanna buy my shit, wanna buy my shit? Shit for sale. Reviewers angling for how to make a buck, 1001 people selling coils. Mention handmade coils in groups on fb now and instead of people chiming in like oh yea, here's my trick for making them. They're like did some motherfucker say coils? Giving themselves whiplash popping up like gophers out of their hole. I make and sell coils! Dude, back the fuck up. Oh that's a cool vape stand, did you make it? Yea and I sell em too, you want one? Just $3,499! Dafuq, sorry I commented. Every reviewer has at least one product with their name splashed on it now. And they have the nerve to call one another out for being cash grabbers. Bitch ya'll fuckin money hungry, shut up with that. Patreon's and venmo and paypal and donations oh my.

I'm all for people setting up businesses and things, becoming entrepreneurs but it's gotten out of hand. Like people chasing you down the street screaming BUY MY SHITTT. Just as annoying as the dry beggars. Idk I just find it all very off putting. It's no longer what it was, they've commercialized and whored the hell out of it. It's not done for fun and becoming less community oriented, more consumer/seller oriented. Guess it's the same as with most stuff, too much of a good thing ruins it. Then of course the shit ass power hungry nazi governors and their vape bans, that's been a joy. Just found it more enjoyable back when it was more like a community craft fair instead of a full blown mall of wall to wall corporations.

Instead of discussing new things, comparing to old things so much of it is just straight up drama. This company hurt me in the feels, this reviewer snarked at me so fuck them back. This company's crooked as shit, this one sucks and that one blows and who's ripping off who. Arguing and bickering and epeen waving. The waterproof mods are great for stirring that shit. Oh it's indestructible, it's waterproof. No it's not. Yes it is. I seen someone drop a looney tunes anvil on it and it came out shinier than it started. I don't remember any of that garbage with sony's sports walkman that was water/dust resistant. People smashing it on purpose so they could be like sony lieeeeddd. Course it was back when common sense was in greater supply and before the interwebs, maybe that had something to do with it.

Or the people that just like to be difficult. What's a good mod that doesn't break? I drop shit a lot. Of course we've all knocked shit over or screwed up, had an accident. But damn, "I drop shit a lot" is the defense? It's an electronic device, be careful with it. How do they drink, do they have glasses or plates at home? Supposed to be adults, the dropsy phase should've been over after the sippy cups stopped getting used. Or better yet "I need one that can survive 2 story falls, cause I work construction". Hate to work on that fucking crew. Mean to tell me working in their area it's just raining hammers and loose nails and tape measures all fuckin day? Cripes. Maybe it's just me, getting grumpier the older I get. lol.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Yea I miss how it was when I started. Sometime mid 2016, might've even hit my 4yr mark by now. And I did, checked the email. 3-15 v2 shipped the cigalike setup so I likely got it like the 20th. Yea I'm horrible, I don't have a known 'vapeaversary' date, don't have one of those quit smoking trackers or any of that. Got my ego set like a month or month and a half later.

Vaping just seemed to be more fun. More businesses were smaller, online anyway. No clue what the local shops are like and still don't. There were new juices, new devices, there were still new progressions in mods. Now it's all the same old shit. Before the suckage that's pods. Maybe I was just clueless about it then, seemed like things were done for fun. Reviews, reviewers, coil makers. Not saying some weren't doing it for profit, but holy hell.

Now it's like walking down the street in Chicago. Pay me, pay me, wanna buy my shit, wanna buy my shit? Shit for sale. Reviewers angling for how to make a buck, 1001 people selling coils. Mention handmade coils in groups on fb now and instead of people chiming in like oh yea, here's my trick for making them. They're like did some motherfucker say coils? Giving themselves whiplash popping up like gophers out of their hole. I make and sell coils! Dude, back the fuck up. Oh that's a cool vape stand, did you make it? Yea and I sell em too, you want one? Just $3,499! Dafuq, sorry I commented. Every reviewer has at least one product with their name splashed on it now. And they have the nerve to call one another out for being cash grabbers. Bitch ya'll fuckin money hungry, shut up with that. Patreon's and venmo and paypal and donations oh my.

I'm all for people setting up businesses and things, becoming entrepreneurs but it's gotten out of hand. Like people chasing you down the street screaming BUY MY SHITTT. Just as annoying as the dry beggars. Idk I just find it all very off putting. It's no longer what it was, they've commercialized and whored the hell out of it. It's not done for fun and becoming less community oriented, more consumer/seller oriented. Guess it's the same as with most stuff, too much of a good thing ruins it. Then of course the shit ass power hungry nazi governors and their vape bans, that's been a joy. Just found it more enjoyable back when it was more like a community craft fair instead of a full blown mall of wall to wall corporations.

Instead of discussing new things, comparing to old things so much of it is just straight up drama. This company hurt me in the feels, this reviewer snarked at me so fuck them back. This company's crooked as shit, this one sucks and that one blows and who's ripping off who. Arguing and bickering and epeen waving. The waterproof mods are great for stirring that shit. Oh it's indestructible, it's waterproof. No it's not. Yes it is. I seen someone drop a looney tunes anvil on it and it came out shinier than it started. I don't remember any of that garbage with sony's sports walkman that was water/dust resistant. People smashing it on purpose so they could be like sony lieeeeddd. Course it was back when common sense was in greater supply and before the interwebs, maybe that had something to do with it.

Or the people that just like to be difficult. What's a good mod that doesn't break? I drop shit a lot. Of course we've all knocked shit over or screwed up, had an accident. But damn, "I drop shit a lot" is the defense? It's an electronic device, be careful with it. How do they drink, do they have glasses or plates at home? Supposed to be adults, the dropsy phase should've been over after the sippy cups stopped getting used. Or better yet "I need one that can survive 2 story falls, cause I work construction". Hate to work on that fucking crew. Mean to tell me working in their area it's just raining hammers and loose nails and tape measures all fuckin day? Cripes. Maybe it's just me, getting grumpier the older I get. lol.

I was thinking too this weekend about life before “personal computers” and how much more normal life and most people were. Like, did everyone need constant access to the web? On every freaking device they own? Or even smartphones, at all?

Some folks will say stfu, we need the tech. I’m not sure, though. It hasn’t improved life or society as far as I can see,

And yep, vaping was much more relaxed back then. Ego’s and Evods were actually cool back then. :teehee:

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was thinking too this weekend about life before “personal computers” and how much more normal life and most people were. Like, did everyone need constant access to the web? On every freaking device they own? Or even smartphones, at all?

Some folks will say stfu, we need the tech. I’m not sure, though. It hasn’t improved life or society as far as I can see,

And yep, vaping was much more relaxed back then. Ego’s and Evods were actually cool back then. :teehee:
Even in it's younger days the internet wasn't so bad. But same as with vaping, everything became commercial. Now everything is one big string of popups and click bait and commercial garbage. Somewhere along the line it went from the information superhighway to the advertisement gridlock.

Don't get me wrong, I love tech. But there's a time and a place. As much of a nerd as I am and enjoy the hobby of building pc's and things I never got into the whole social media culture. I don't take 500 selfies a day, pics of every meal etc. I agree a lot of the experience is lost. Stopping to take pics of everything makes me feel like I'm missing out on the thing itself.

Vaping is no different than anything else, I love learning new stuff and helping others when I can. There's no hidden 1/4 way through a reply "click here and for $4.95 you can finish reading the rest of my post". Pfft. Put that shit in a magazine or something or keep it in a commercial site. Much of the community aspect is lost when it becomes a cash grab. I don't think it's improved society either. Even basic 'helpful' things like oh sure, if I'm out and about I can go to google maps or look up a phone number. Half the time google maps leads me off course or in the wrong direction, so many times the listed phone numbers are wrong. Seems like I had far fewer troubles with trusty paper maps and business cards. And pay phones. At least they didn't drop the call every 5min. lol

Be nice to go back to the way vaping was a few years ago when it was fun. Before the media attacks, the bans, the pmta bullshit when everyone just let us be and do our own thing. I do miss the progress of mods but maybe it's flatlined. There's only so much power current battery configurations can produce, only so many ways to control the power. Only so many ways to make a box that holds the battery. Older atomizers were different, kind of funky. Some were tall, some were short, some had a spiral airflow design, some had straight glass or round glass or this or that. Now it's like 3-5ml, bubble tank, dual coil, honeycomb airflow.. sort of like the aegis mods. They've bout milked that tit dry putting out the same damn thing over and over. Single battery, dual battery, pod, internal battery, screen on the front, screen on the side. All with the same basic frame, same rounded leather covered grip.

Even the lost vape centaurus. Nice enough mod, not trying to shit on those who are looking forward to them or enjoy them. But really? $200 and they're nearly identical to the paranormal. Same chip. Same shape, same size. Only this time they boogered up the branding and had to fix the lettering. How? By gracefully stamping over it. That's like Cadillac mispelling the name of their car and where it says 'cst' just crossing it out with spray paint and slapping a 'cts' under it. Like is that the level of don't give a fuck we've reached, really? C'mon, and on a pretty pricey device too. That's just some lazy shit. One minor aesthetic change, a restamped dicked up name and their hand out for someone's $200. Like no man, try harder. Act like it matters even a little. One of the first mods we've seen in awhile and they're just phoning it in when now would be the time to get excited about it. Something besides just another pod.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

We only pretended that egos and evods were cool because they were nic devices that weren't cigarettes. They actually were pains in the ass.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I'm pretty sure that the Hammer Of God XL that I have on order is soon about to improve my life.

:mooncat:

Don29palms

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor

Amen!

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
We only pretended that egos and evods were cool because they were nic devices that weren't cigarettes. They actually were pains in the ass.

I couldn’t quit with them. They were okay when I couldn’t afford cigs or had run out. Otherwise, I was still smoking.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I couldn’t quit with them. They were okay when I couldn’t afford cigs or had run out. Otherwise, I was still smoking.
I never used them, but I'm pretty convinced I wouldn't feel nostalgic about them if I did. So much so, in my little history book they are better linked to sado masochism.

Ruppy_bear

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
not going to lie, I do miss my ego a bit. But more importantly I miss the interaction with ppl when u hang out at a vape shop. With pods these days ppl just walk in and walk out cuz they already tried most of the flavours, plus most pods are pretty much the same, so it’s not like u can say “we got a new tank in if your interested”.

Relx is a great example, it’s the largest pod maker in China with 4 different types of pods. Yet the 1st one has the most flavour and Best Buy. U can’t put 1st gen carriage on the other gens, which means the new gen don’t get a lot of flavour updates as compared to the 1st gen. Most ppl that have one would just walk in and out as simple as 123. They don’t stay longer then 10mins max. U rarely make vape friends now with random strangers now.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I was thinking about the vaping nostalgia and some people did mention it during lockdown. But we’re facing Deeming in September, so it’s not surprising.

I ended up looking at some Chinese sites and I did buy a few older mods. Like an Aspire K3 and K4. But I like them a lot. And I picked up another Smok Nord AIO 22. It’s a good little device, great for my purse.

And I picked up five more Freemax Twister kits. I like the tanks and I like the VW mods. I’d rather have them than not have them.

VU Sponsors