Become a Patron!

Vaping with 18650 batteries

Jaredgrn

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok, so I have a question that's probably going to sound stupid. I currently have two mods; one is an innokin coolfire iv tc18650 75w (single battery) mod, and the other is the smok G-Priv 220w (dual battery) mod. I currently vape at 30watts, and my coils are .4ohm and .5ohm coils. My question is simply, how many amps would you recommend for me to use? I've been told to just get 20A or 25A batteries, and was suggested to buy either the Samsung 25r or the Sony vtc4. Thanks.

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
20A batteries will serve you just fine up to 120ish watts on the dual and 60ish on the single.

I personally like LG HG2 3000mAh

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Thx for the input. I'll check them out.

Just remember, the GPriv being dual battery, you have to buy, charge, and use the batteries together, never breaking the pair, so you'll need to buy 2 for that mod's specific use, and another just for the single battery mod. This is for safety also to keep the batteries in a multi-battery mod equal with the same wear and tear, if one battery in the pair under-performs the other, it puts undo stress on one or the other. You do not want a battery stressed or bad things can happen.

30ish watts max, you'll want higher mah than amp rating in that case, Samsung 30Q, Sony VTC6, or the LG HG2 3000mah will suit you well. If you plan to go over 120watts with that GPriv, then a Sony VTC5A (2500mah 25amps), LG HD2 (2000mah 25amps), LG HD4 (2100mah 25amps) will get you around max of about 150 to 160ish watts, 160 to 180ish then the LG HB2, HB4, or HB6, can't go much higher than that on a dual battery mod if you drain the batteries all the way down, Watts Set/Lowest Battery Cut Off/90%=Maximum Amps required, just the rules of the game.

illumn.com
liionwholesale.com
imrbatteries.com
orbtronic.com
rtdvapor.com
great suppliers if you live in the US and North America.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Ok, so I have a question that's probably going to sound stupid. I currently have two mods; one is an innokin coolfire iv tc18650 75w (single battery) mod, and the other is the smok G-Priv 220w (dual battery) mod. I currently vape at 30watts, and my coils are .4ohm and .5ohm coils. My question is simply, how many amps would you recommend for me to use? I've been told to just get 20A or 25A batteries, and was suggested to buy either the Samsung 25r or the Sony vtc4. Thanks.

Those are regulated mods.. never mind the amps of the batteries, you need to be looking at the Mah. (hours). Samsung 25Rs are good. Lg HG2 are better.
Main thing, is only use top quality, brand name, high drain batteries. Samsung, Sony, LG.. and that is it. No rewraps. Your mod regulates how many Watts you can pull Normally, it is around 75w on a single up to 100, and 100 to 220 on dual batteries, but then again, remember the mod has safety features that balance the watts with amps. In other words.. a 20, 25, or 30 amp battery, in a 100w mod, will ONLY pull 100w max, and they will all do 100w. Therefore, it is more beneficial to use the batteries that last longer, and therefore require less charges. An example would be, in say.. a 3 month period, the samsung 25rs might need to be charged 115 times, where as the LG HG2 would only need to be charged 100 times. 25R are 2500Mah, HG2 are 3000Mah.. Higher Mah=longer lasting = less charges needed = longer battery life.

The amps or CDR only comes into play when using a mechanical mod.

AND.. there are no stupid questions. :) Everyone has to learn at some point.

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Those are regulated mods

The amps or CDR only comes into play when using a mechanical mod.
Not true at all...the coil doesn't affect how many amps are being pulled but the board still needs batteries with the right amp limit when using them at higher power

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not true at all...the coil doesn't affect how many amps are being pulled but the board still needs batteries with the right amp limit when using them at higher power
Yep a GOOD 20-25 amp CDR battery is good for about 75 watts max. Per battery. But if you push them that hard in a regulated mod you will likely get lots of weak battery messages.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Actually, the IC controller works in 2 stages. Battery IN and power out. On the in side, the amperage is taken into account, sent through the control chip, passed out to the atomizer leads (+/- on the 510 connector). The output follows this formula to determine wattage. voltage squared divided by resistance. Voltage is usually boosted to a set value, depending on the mod to give a steady vape from full charge to min charge. So as far as vaping a regulated mod goes, battery amperage has no effect on power out. Now taking Ohms Law into account, a 200w mod with 2 batteries, at 8.4V pulls 23 amps at 0.35 ohms.

Input Side

The Input Side is where the controller pulls power from the battery.

Ohm’s law states:

Power = Voltage * Current

• Power is the wattage that the controller wants to pull from the battery.

• Voltage is provided by the battery and cannot be controlled (besides charging the battery). A Lithium Ion battery will usually provide between 2.5 and 4.2V, with a nominal cell voltage of approximately 3.7V (average voltage output). The controllers minimum input voltage will determine the lowest voltage it will accept before considering the battery too weak or empty.
Current is the amperage that will be drawn from the battery to obtain the power required. To calculate the current draw, we simply move Voltage from Ohm’s Law from the right of the equation to the left.

*from http://blog.thevaporist.org/2015/12/29/regulated-mods/

As stated, Input Side provides the voltage, which is then VxV / resistance.

You can test this out for yourself.
Take a fully charged battery/s on say a 200w mod.
Build a coil with a resistance of say 0.5 ohm
Crank the power up to Max.. Notice, it will not hit the 200W your box states it will do.
Add a 2nd 0.5 ohm coil to the build, now the total resistance is halved.. crank the box to max..
Now you get the full 200W

I could be a little off here, but I think I read most mods limit voltage to 7.7v (2 batteries) coming off the input, sooo

7.7v sqr = 59.29v / 0.5 ohm = 118.58W output. (on a 200w mod)
7.7v sqr = 59.29v / 0.25 ohm = 237.16W output limited to max 200w (on a 200w mod)

Test it out.. your mod might be a little different, but the results will be about the same.
So yes, it needs 20A or better, since the HG2 are a 20A 3000mah battery.... they work better than a 30A /1500mah battery, simply because they last longer per charge and therefore, need fewer charges in the same given time period. We already know that the battery chemistry breaks down as it cycles from full power to low limit and recharged. (but that is another topic)

Last edited:

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
God.. just thinking.. I do wayyyyy to much friggin research. I think I started around age 6.. when I took my sisters doll apart to find out what made it talk. Sissy was not real happy about that. But at least I knew it was a tiny little string and spring operated "record player" type thingy.
"Sis... you dolly was very sick and needed an operation... I'm sorry.. Dolly didn't make it"

VU Sponsors