Become a Patron!

Vaporesso Gen S Kit Review

Vaporesso Gen S Kit
Introduction
The Vaporesso Gen S kit is a revamp of the Vaporesso Gen kit. It features the same mod as the original kit, but has the new NRG-S tank sitting on top. The only difference with the Gen S mod over the original Gen mod is that it is available in a few additional colours that weren’t available on the Gen mod.

The Gen S mod takes 2 18650 batteries and fires up to 220W. It has Vaporesso’s AXON chip inside and is a fully featured mod, including just about any mode you could want from a box mod.

The NRG-S tank is the new part of the kit, replacing the SKRR-S tank from the original kit. It is a 25.5mm diameter tank at the base and has an 8ml liquid capacity. The NRG-S tank uses Vaporesso’s GT coils, of which there are 9 varieties to choose from at the moment, so there’s something for everyone.

I missed out on the Gen the first time around, so I’m looking forward to seeing what all the fuss was about.

Let’s have a look if the Gen S kit is worth picking up.

Disclaimer: I was sent the Gen S Kit for review by Sourcemore.

Photo Album

Box Contents
  • 1 x Gen S mod
  • 1 x NRG-S tank
  • 1 x GT4 Meshed coil
  • 1 x GT Meshed coil
  • 1 x Extra glass tube (5ml)
  • 4 x Spare o-rings
  • 1 x Micro USB cable
  • 1 x User manual
  • 1 x Warranty card
Specifications
Gen S Mod
  • Size: 90mm x 53mm x 30mm
  • Batteries: 2 x 18650
  • Output Power: 5-220W
  • AXON chipset
  • Multiple Modes
  • 0.91” OLED Display
NRG-S Tank
  • 25.5mm Base Diameter
  • 8ml eliquid capacity
  • Dual-Slot adjustable airflow
  • Threaded Coil Installation
  • Compatible with all GT coils
  • Slide to fill top cap
Design & Build Quality: Vaporesso Gen S Mod
The Gen S mod is rectangular in its overall shape, but has nice rounded corners. The two side panels are convex shaped; curving to give a lovely fit in the hand. They also have little dimples all over them which gives a nice grip when holding the mod.

The paint finish all over the Gen S has a rubberised texture and completes the feel in your hand. I can’t stress how lovely the Gen S is to hold.

One side panel has the Vaporesso name in the centre but it’s nice and subtle. The other panel has the Vaporesso logo bottom and centre, which is also subtle and serves as a marker; this panel is removable to reveal the battery compartment.

The battery panel is held on by two strong magnets and has no wiggle at all when in place. The battery compartment has a ribbon to help with removing your batteries. Once your batteries are installed there is no movement from them.

On the top is a centred 510 connection pin, which is spring loaded. You can fit tanks of up to 26mm in diameter without any overhang.

The bottom of the Gen S features the name of the mod, some safety logos and some battery venting holes.

The back of the Gen S is plain.

The front of the Gen S has the fire button at the top. It’s round in shape, a nice size and feels clicky and responsive. Below the fire button is the screen, which is nice and bright, even in direct sunlight. Below the screen are your three adjustment buttons. They are small and circular and feel clicky and responsive too. Below your three adjustment buttons is a micro USB port.

I have no complaints with the build quality at all. The Gens S feels solid and well put together. The design of the Gen S is perfect. It looks good, but most importantly feels great to hold. The fire button is in the perfect position whether you fire with your finger or thumb and the rubberised paint finish is something that needs to be experienced; it feels beautiful to hold.

The Gen S has a nice weight to it also. It feels sturdy, but not heavy to hold.

Features & Functions
The Gen S mod has three wattage modes: soft, normal and hard. It also has a variable voltage mode, a custom wattage curve mode and a bypass mode. It has temperature control also: TCSS, TCTi, TCNi and a manual mode where you enter your own TCR value.

The variable wattage, variable voltage, temperature control and bypass modes are all found under the ‘DIY Mode’ menu.

It can fire up to 220W in wattage modes and in temperature control you can set your desired temperature between 200-600F

It also features a pulse mode, which is actually the default mode on the Gen S. In pulse mode you set your wattage as normal but the Gen S pulses the wattage every 0.02 seconds. The pulsing isn’t something you can notice as it happens so fast, but Vaporesso say it gives ‘27% extra flavour and cloud satisfaction.’ I don’t know about the exact percentage and how you would measure that, but I definitely get better flavour using pulse mode, so that’s what I have mainly been using.

Another mode is Power Eco which helps to conserve battery life. When your battery drops to 40% the Gen S will ask you if you want to switch to Power Eco mode. You can also set the Gen S to automatically switch to Power Eco mode by enabling ‘Auto Eco’ in the settings menu.

Smart TC mode will try to automatically detect what material your coil is and set the appropriate TC mode. I didn’t use this mode as I didn’t have any TC compatible coils.

Finally you have Super Player mode which allows you to use coils that have a really low resistance and would not normally fire.

Gen S Button Combinations
  • Turn On / Off: Press the fire button five times
  • Lock Adjustment and Menu Buttons: Press the fire button three times
  • Enter Menu: Press middle button three times
NRG-S Tank
The NRG-S tank is 25.5mm in diameter on the base and sits perfectly on top of the Gen S. The colour will match the colour scheme of the Gen S mod.

It has an 810 drip tip on top which is comfortable enough to use, but I do prefer the chunkier 810 drip tips; I just find them a little more comfortable to use personally.

The top cap opens via a sliding mechanism, but it pivots open instead of sliding straight out. There is a little arrow indicator of where to push the cap, but this is very subtle too and doesn’t ruin the design. Sliding open the top cap reveals a single kidney shaped fill port, which is a nice size even for larger nozzles.

Also if you unscrew the top cap the opposite way you usually would (clockwise), it actually comes off and reveals the sliding top. This allows you to give it a good clean and also access the rubber gasket if you ever needed to change it.

The glass that comes pre-installed is an 8ml bubble glass, which is a huge capacity for a sub ohm tank. You get a spare straight glass in the box which has a 5ml capacity. Unfortunately the straight glass was shattered when I opened the box, so I’m glad the bubble glass was pre-installed. Also the straight glass was in the spares bag, so at least it didn’t go all over the rest of the box.

The base of the tank houses the airflow control ring, which turns nice and smoothly and has a nice resistance to it. It has two airflow slots on either side and any adjustment made is mirrored on the other side. It also has a stopper when fully open or fully closed.

On the bottom of the tank is a fixed 510 connection pin, along with the standard regulatory logos and the NRG-S name.

The top cap and base have a knurling design which matches the dimples on the side panels of the Gen S, tying the design of the kit together. This knurling also acts as a grip when dismantling / assembling the tank.

Unscrewing the base of the tank allows you to remove your coil and replace it when needed, as well as being able to swap out the glass of the tank.

The NRG-S is compatible with any of Vaporesso’s GT coils, of which there are nine available at the moment.

Performance
The two coils included in the kit are:
  • 0.18ohm Single Mesh Coil which is rated for use between 50-85W
  • 0.15ohm Dual Mesh Coil which is rated for use between 50-75W

Both of these coils are quite airy but they can be restricted down to a slightly restricted lung hit by cutting the airflow control down. The 0.18ohm single mesh coil is the most airy, while the 0.15ohm dual mesh coil is slightly more restricted.

The 0.18ohm single mesh comes preinstalled in the NRG-S. This is a surprisingly flavorful coil for a single mesh coil and pleasantly surprised me. At 50W the vapor is cool. Increasing the wattage increases the warmth as well as the flavor. This coil is rated up to 85W but I like it at 77W. Flavorful, warm, and cloudy is the most accurate way to describe this coil.

Even better is the 0.15ohm coil dual mesh coil. It’s very good at 70W with even better flavor recreation than the 0.18ohm coil. Any less than 70W feels underwhelming, so I would suggest staying above this wattage when using this coil. Cloud production is about the same, as is the warmth. Using complex ejuices in this coil really brings all the notes out.

Both of these coils kept up with high VG liquids and had no wicking issues. This is likely due to the large wicking ports on the outside of the coils. The tank didn’t leak either so I’m happy about that as well. I’m quite happy with these coils. If Vaporesso continues using them in other tanks, I for one will not complain.

The GEN S mod is a great mod to vape with. I do feel like Pulse mode gives a slight difference from normal wattage mode and this is how I liked to use the Gen S.

Verdict
The Gen S mod is nigh on perfect. It is a full featured mod that is simple to use for beginners and also has modes aplenty for more advanced users. It feels great to hold and I find that it is very economical in its battery usage. The battery panel doesn’t move at all and is held in place perfectly with the magnets. It looks great too.

The NRG-S tank is a great performer too. For someone new to vaping it is an ideal starter tank. It has great flavour, easy to fill and has a large choice of coils to choose from. It’s a solid stock tank. Are there better tanks available? Yes. But if you are buying a kit you want a tank that will perform well, which the NRG-S tank does just that.

As a starter kit Vaporesso has put together one hell of a combo with the Gen S kit. If you are looking to start vaping this is one of the best kits available in my opinion.

If you already have the original Gen kit is it worth getting the Gen S kit? Well, you already have the same mod. Unless you really want one of the new colours available, it wouldn’t be worth getting just for the NRG-S tank alone. Although it’s a solid kit tank, there are better tanks available to put on top of your Gen mod.

Pros
  • Rubberised paint feels great on Gen S
  • Excellent performance
  • Feature packed mod
  • Excellent build quality
  • Excellent performance from NRG-S tank
Cons
  • Gen S mod is exactly same as original Gen, would have been nice to see some upgrades

Thank you for reading and thank you to Sourcemore for sending this kit to me for review. They have kindly provided the promo code “VGS” to pick up the kit for £32.35 ($42.90) here:

https://www.sourcemore.com/vaporesso-gen-s-kit.html

VU Sponsors