Become a Patron!

Vaporesso TARGET PM80 SE Pod Mod Kit

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the TARGET PM80 SE Pod Mod Kit from Vaporesso. The TARGET PM80 SE Pod Mod Kit was supplied for the purpose of this review by Jessica from Vaporesso.

https://www.vaporesso.com/vape-kits/target-pm80-se

Introduction

Vaporesso a while back entered the Pod Mod arena in style with the Target PM80, a sub-ohm DL device which is also compatible with the Vinci coils. Here we have their new Pod Mod and 18650 version of the Target PM80, the Target PM80 SE. The Target PM80 SE is identical to the in-built battery version aesthetically but is taller allowing the accommodation of an 18650, it also comes with 2 pods which again are identical to the Target PM80 pods and even the packaging and presentation is identical.

The similarities are a good thing as the pods are cross compatible and use the same growing GTX family of coils giving many options. Powered by the popular Axon Chip it fires in an instant and features Variable Wattage (Pulse Mode), Smart Wattage and Variable Voltage modes. The menu system does differ from the in-built battery version as the PM80 SE adopts a monochrome display and gone is the 7 day puff monitoring feature. With 4ml (2ml TPD) clear pods for easy visibility of your juice and comfortable proprietary drip tip the Target PM80 SE which comes in a bunch of colour/design options is well worth a look!

In The Box

Contents:

1 x VAPORESSO TARGET PM80 SE Device
2 x VAPORESSO TARGET PM80 POD(4ml) TPD Version (2ml)
1 x GTX 0.2Ω MESH COIL
1 x GTX 0.6Ω MESH COIL
1 x USB Cable
1 x User Manual
1 x Warranty Card
1 x Reminder Card
2 x Airflow Silicone Plug

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

I received The Blue version, it comes in 6 colour options with a Gunmetal Zinc Alloy chassis, the colour options are Red, Purple, Blue, Black, Green or Silver. I like the aesthetics and form factor of most of the Pod Mods we have seen enter the marketplace but in my opinion Vaporesso have knocked the ball out the park with both the Target PM80 so also this taller version, i will let the pictures and comparison photo do the talking!

The only possible con i can see with it's aesthetics to some is the Chassis is a fingerprint magnet so some might of preferred a matte finish!

Target PM80 SE next to the PM80!

Target PM80 SE Specs and Features:

Dimensions: 121.3 x 33.8 x 24.8mm
Display: 0.91-inch OLED Screen
Battery: 1 x 18650 Battery (Not Included)
Resistance (rec-watt): GTX 0.2Ω MESH COIL (45–60W); GTX 0.6Ω MESH COIL (20-30W)
Power Output: 5-80W
Charging Current: 2A, Micro-USB
POD Capacity: 4ml (2ml TPD Version)
AXON chip for smart VW
Innovative GTX coils for better flavor
Easy top refill design
Adjustable airflow system
2A quick charge
Multiple functional protections
Colours: Red, Purple, Blue, Black, Green, Silver

The Pod

You receive 2 pods which is a pro and the capacity is 4ml or 2ml if you have the TPD compliant pods, they are the exact same pods that came with the Target PM80. The top of the pods have a slanted flat top with fixed proprietary drip tip very much like the Podstick pods but just larger and with a wider bore.

The pods are clear and with a combination of how much of the pod protrudes from the top of the device and the large airflow cutouts on both sides of the device we have very good visibility of the e-liquid.

Moving to the base and we can see the coils will be just press fitted into place and we also have 2 very large round magnets. To one side is a really chunky fill bung which can be easily lifted and then turned (it stays attached to the pod) to reveal a very large fill port which allows air still to escape when most sized nozzles are inserted so the pod can be filled quickly and mess free, the bung fits deep giving a really good seal. Although having to remove the pod to fill isn't perfect i like the fill method and i had no flooding or leaking after filling or refilling the pod.

The coils

You receive 2 different Nichrome Mesh coils but also available is a total of 6 options which include a MTL option and RBA head, i was sent a selection. Included is the 0.6ohm GTX mesh coil head which is rated between 20w to 30w and the 0.2ohm GTX mesh coil head which has a rating of 45w to 60w, the bore on the 0.2ohm coil is wider and was one of the coil options also included with the Target PM80.

The coils look the same style and size as the Vinci coils and in fact they are interchangeable which can only be a good thing giving more options and coil availability.

The coil head just gets press fitted into the pod where it secures onto the air pipe via an o-ring with another o-ring sealing the fit at the base, either side we have part of the coil protruding and large air intakes to allow plenty of air to the centre of the coils.

Fitting The Pod

Looking inside the pod's bay we can see the two Gold plated, spring loaded contacts on a small raised rectangular section and 2 large magnets, also visible on the sides are the large airflow cutout sections.

The pod fits very securely and has no movement whatsoever, in fact it's quite difficult to get grip to give a strong enough pull to remove upwards so the trick is to put your finger behind the drip tip and pull forward which in conjunction with the slope of the fit lifts the pod free, really like this a lot!

The Airflow

The air gets access to the base of the coil head via 3 large cutout sections either side of the device and despite some plugs being included it's a bit of an archaic method to really credit the device as having adjustable airflow. For me the 0.2ohm coil head included suits the open airflow but you do receive 4 plugs so plugging one side will give a more restrictive draw but when plugging both sides it didn't suit the 0.2ohm coil at all but did allow for a loose MTL when using the included 0.6ohm coil and mid to loose MTL with the 1.2ohm regular coil head (not included), i suppose it's a better solution than some trying to reduce airflow by putting their finger over the openings!

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

Fitting The Battery

The PM80 SE accommodate an 18650 battery which is a big pro over the original PM80 and i like the hatch door situated on the base. The door just needs pulling forward and lifting and once your battery is installed just press down and slide secure, i am not though over impressed with marked battery orientation. The + is marked as well as it can be at the bottom of the tube but you need to have a good light source directed down the tube to see it and the - on the underneath of the battery door is just indented into the metal so the same colour and barely visible (bright White in future please).

The Display

The Display is very bright with plenty of information given. Top left we have a battery status bar with the percentage also displayed within this bar. The bottom left area of the diaplay gives resistance reading and the puff count. Top right we have the mode and then in the bottom right area we have the best between information given for the installed coil, the centre of the screen is where the wattage (voltage when in VV mode) is displayed.

I must say i preferred the colour display of the original PM80 as this display seems quite cluttered, also some of the font is quite small and with no colour to break things up i found it hard to focus on information such as resistance or the puff count.

Navigating The Device

This is where the device differs from the PM80 although it has all the same features as the PM80 apart from the absence of the puff monitoring feature but how the device is navigated differs.

The device is the usual 5 clicks of the fire button to turn on and 5 clicks to turn off and once on 3 clicks will lock the navigational buttons but the device will still fire. The other combination key press features are up and fire together flips the screen and down and fire gives information about the chip.

The marketing does heavily suggest this has Pulse mode so i assume its automatically using the pulse feature when in Variable wattage and Smart Wattage modes. Pressing up and down together gives us the screen where using the navigational buttons we can scroll through the various modes which are Variable Wattage, Smart Variable Wattage and Variable Voltage. It then moves to a default option which resets the device including the puff counter and finally Exit which takes us back to the main screen.

When in Variable Wattage mode the recommended wattage for the installed coil is displayed but just for reference, when in Smart Variable Wattage mode however the wattage automatically adjusts to a recommended wattage within the given parameters.

Although i prefer the colour display and overall user interface of the original PM80, the PM80 SE still offers a user friendly experience and is simple to navigate.

Charging

Unfortunately we don't have type C USB but we do have 2A charging although as ever i never recommend charging the battery in the device unless it's your only option.

If you do charge the battery in the device the battery status is displayed while charging as well as estimated charge time left, the Target PM80 SE also supports pass-through!

My thoughts And How It Vapes?

I did like the original PM80 and preferred it's display and user interface compared to the PM80 SE but with the SE version accommodating an 18650 battery makes it a big win.

As mentioned aesthetically apart from the SE being taller they look identical and another pro is the fact the pods are identical and use the same GTX coil family as well as being compatible with Vinci coils.

With the inclusion of the 0.2ohm and 0.3ohm coil heads the original concentrated on DL with no apologies for the tonne of air for a pod device it gives, this device though also comes with the 0.6ohm Mesh coil which brings into play those airflow plugs much more as this suits a bit of restriction and with both plugs inserted even a loose MTL is possible. I do like these GTX coils preferring them to the Vinci coils but i'm one of the few that although a good device the Vinci and Vinci X were rather over-hyped in my opinion and prefer both the Vaporesso GTX and Smok RPM coil families.

I did receive a selection of GTX coils to find the 0.2ohm and 0.3ohm mesh coil heads are actually my least favourite much preferring the 0.6ohm (included), 0.8ohm and the regular 1.2ohm with both airflow plugs inserted gave a nice mid to loose MTL draw. The airflow is smooth enough and also all coils give bags of flavour and a warm vape which often isn't the case with pod devices which can give quite a cool vape, i found flavour great and warm enough at the lower end of the various coil recommendations so plenty of scope for even a much warmer vape if preferred.

I did get slight weeping of e-juice i expect from the bottom airflow slots on the base of the coils but no worse than any other device which has similar style coil heads and pods. I like how securely the pods fit, the mouthpiece is comfortable and visibility of the e-juice level is excellent.

Aesthetically pleasing
Portable size and ergonomic
6 Colour/design options
Very good build quality
Full compatibility with original PM80
Smooth Airflow
Includes 2 pods
Includes 2 different coils
Flavour very good both coils
0.2ohm coil head medium restricted DL draw
0.6ohm coil head DL draw slightly more restriction (using both airflow plugs loose MTL possible)
Plenty of other coil options including 1.2ohm MTL regular coil head
Airflow reducing plugs
Variable Wattage (Pulse mode by default)
Can clearly see e-liquid in the pod at all times
Pod fits extremely securely
Fill method well executed
Vinci coils compatible
Accommodates 18650 battery
2A charge rate
Charging feedback displayed
Micro USB port positioned on side of the device
Various power modes
Coil recognition giving best at wattage parameters
User friendly menu system
Battery status bar and given as percentage
Wattage adjustment scrolls at nice speed 5W to 80W
Adjust in 0.5W increments single press, 1W increments button held down
Light switch style fire button
Fires insanely quickly at set wattage
Supports pass-through
Supports firmware upgrades

Cons

Would prefer colour screen and user interface of original PM80
Could have better airflow adjustability (but much better than nothing)
Needs clearer battery orientation markings
Top-fill would be preferred
Type B USB
Variable Voltage only adjusts up to 4.0V
Suspect no voltage boost but isn't an issue with supplied coil Heads
Proprietary fixed drip tip (is comfortable though)
Frame is fingerprint magnet

I would once again like to thank Jessica from Vaporesso for supplying the TARGET PM80 SE Pod Mod Kit for the purpose of this review.

https://www.vaporesso.com/vape-kits/target-pm80-se

VU Sponsors