Become a Patron!

Variable wattage, how to choose a setting.

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sorry for being a newbie...

I've had an egrip for about a month now. My first device that's a step up from ego variable voltage batteries.

It has a dial to adjust between 8 and 20 watts, but I don't know what I'm doing. It seems the amount of vapor, whether 8 or 20 remains the same. The only difference is heat.

I usually leave it at 20, and if I feel I've been chain vaping too long I put it back to 8 for a few minutes in order to prevent burning the cotton.

How is vw intended to be used though? Are there different wattages for different juices?

Again, I apologise for my ignorance. I just want someone to explain this. Thanks

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Basically applies more current to the coils so they get hotter and vaporize more liquid. As for how to set it, it's purely up to you and what you want based on how you vape and what your using to vape with. There are juices that taste better at certain wattages, but again, the ideal wattage depends on your hardware and everybody has their own taste preference, so this isn't a set in stone rule. Overall, there really is no 'guide' to setting your wattage or voltage. Only trial and error to see what you like best.

looked online after typing the below and saw that the Egrip comes with a 1.5 ohm coil and it looks like you can only buy those for it, so the below doesn't apply to your situation. But I'll leave it since it goes into some detail about vv/vw limits.

Also note that while some devices let you adjust the watts, the volts, or both, all devices have a limit to how much they can put out in both watts and volts. So, while you might be able to set the wattage high, it is possible that the volt limit will prevent the device from putting out that wattage because of the coil resistance level. This could be a reason that your not getting more vapor from a higher wattage.

The Egrip has a maximum output of 5.5 volts.
If you put on a coil that has 1.8 ohms of resistance and try to set it to 20 watts, it would try to use 6 volts of power.
But since the Egrip can only put out a maximum of 5.5 volts, it will only use 17 watts despite being set to 20 watts.
The Egrip can't provide the full 20 watts unless the coil is 1.51 ohms or lower.

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Basically applies more current to the coils so they get hotter and vaporize more liquid. As for how to set it, it's purely up to you and what you want based on how you vape and what your using to vape with. There are juices that taste better at certain wattages, but again, the ideal wattage depends on your hardware and everybody has their own taste preference, so this isn't a set in stone rule. Overall, there really is no 'guide' to setting your wattage or voltage. Only trial and error to see what you like best.

looked online after typing the below and saw that the Egrip comes with a 1.5 ohm coil and it looks like you can only buy those for it, so the below doesn't apply to your situation. But I'll leave it since it goes into some detail about vv/vw limits.

Also note that while some devices let you adjust the watts, the volts, or both, all devices have a limit to how much they can put out in both watts and volts. So, while you might be able to set the wattage high, it is possible that the volt limit will prevent the device from putting out that wattage because of the coil resistance level. This could be a reason that your not getting more vapor from a higher wattage.

The Egrip has a maximum output of 5.5 volts.
If you put on a coil that has 1.8 ohms of resistance and try to set it to 20 watts, it would try to use 6 volts of power.
But since the Egrip can only put out a maximum of 5.5 volts, it will only use 17 watts despite being set to 20 watts.
The Egrip can't provide the full 20 watts unless the coil is 1.51 ohms or lower.
The Egrip does have an rba base add-on, and I use that. The coils I make are usually 1.2-1.5 ohms, so I should be getting the full effect of 20 watts, right?

Also, I am aware of wattage being a personal preference, but is there a general consensus as to what range of watts to use on what type of juices? Perhaps sweet vapes being set lower than tobacco ones?

Also, I had a few variable voltage ego's before this, and changing from 3.6 to 4.8 volts would make a noticable difference in vapor production. I understand in terms of electronics what the difference between volts and watts are, but I still don't understand what difference having a vv or vw device holds. If changing watts affects the heat of the coil, what does adjusting volts change that's different?

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Volts does the same as watts. Both adjust the power applied to the coils.
No matter which you increase, the other will increase as well in accordance with ohms law.
But watts gives a greater range of numbers. That's the way I look at it anyway.

It's like setting your oven with Celsius vs Fahrenheit.
Two different temperature scales, but F has more numbers then C so allows greater fine tuning.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The difference between VV and VW is that VW takes the resistance of your coil into the equation. With VV you set it at let's say 3.7V. You end up with whatever wattage 3.7V into the resistance of your coil produces. If you change that resistance you still get 3.7V but the wattage output will change. With VW it will adjust the voltage to whatever is needed to produce the wattage you have set with that coil resistance. If you change that resistance it will just re-adjust the voltage to output the set wattage.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
As far as vapor goes I can say that my egrip produces considerably more at 20W than at 8W. Two possibilities come to mind. One, you may have it wicked in a manner that is restricting airflow. You need airflow at higher wattages to produce more vapor and not just heat. Are you getting good vapor output at those lower wattages? If your juice is high PG content that may be all you are going to get out of it.

truztno1

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
hey man..i kno uv prbly figured this out by now. but for anyone else looking for answers to this question

vapecalc.com will tell u everything u gta know about proper settings.

VU Sponsors