Become a Patron!

VPDAM Leon Sqounk Mod. An Affordable Resin Mech Box

Chasing_Rapture

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Disclaimer: This device was sent to me for the purposes of the review by Cacuq Ecig. This does not change my opinions of the device, they are not influenced by free stuff

What’s up guys! It’s time for another Rapture Review! Today we’re taking a look at the VPDAM Leon sqounk box, a resin mech sqounker in the same vein as the Stentorian Ram. This is VPDAM’s first foray into the world of mods, being primarily a tool/ accessory, coil, and drip tip/replacement resin tank manufacturer previously. So is it successful?

Specs and box inclusions:

• Mod is 25mmx25mmx84.5mm (off their site, I need to buy calipers)

• 7ml sqounk bottle (box says replacement bottle, but it only comes with one)

• Plastic 18650 battery adapter

• User manual
size comparison to the Pulse BF

The bottle itself may be proprietary, as the juice feeding tube is about twice the size of the one of the pulse. The bottle is soft, but it's also more plasticy than the Pulse bottle, so the sucking back of juice happens a lot faster than the Pulse. The hole for access to the bottle is perfect size for one finger sqounking but the issue is that you have to adjust your hand off of the fire button to sqounk because the device is a little taller and the hole is only on the door.

The construction of the “resin” is very solid. I’m not entirely sure its actual resin, as it has a similar feel to delrin but it looks really nice and feels amazing in the hand. The device comes in 5 colors of resin and 2 colors of aluminum which I can’t find on sale at the time of review.

The contacts are gold plated aluminum, and the button is spring loaded even though its not necessary with the way the contacts are made. you can use it without the spring due to the contact's being bent the way they are, and I'm sure you could make it magnetic to have a smoother button press if one was so inclined.

I’m pretty sure the spring is more for the way the locking mechanism works. The locking mechanisms functions much like how a mech locking ring works, you screw the button down flush with the mod and it completely stops the button being able to be pushed. Unscrew the button to vape. Locked and unlocked. I really like this locking feature, you know when it’s locked because you can’t push the button and you can’t forget you locked it like you can with the Pulse since it’s a visible "lock" on the outside of the mod.

It has the traditional contact design of most mech sqounkers, but with a curved cutout to make a solid contact with the positive pin. I have had very minimal arcing, but it’s never on the initial contact. The arcing happens when I slowly depress the fire button, which most people don’t do. The mod definitely has less dropped voltage than the Pulse does, testing the same RDA cold on both the Pulse and the Leon, the Leon has less ramp time and a much warmer vape. (I definitely need a way to test DV on mechs to have true data, but it’s definitely a noticeable difference)

I do have some construction issues with my device that was sent. There is a bulge at the bottom of the device, I have been assured by cacuq and vpdam that it’s a flaw with just my device. With how I build, the heat never made the bulge worse, and having a battery inside the mod didn’t stress it more. Also I had a magnet come out of the mod with the door (strong ass magnets) and I re-installed it backwards. The installation is my fault, but the fact that the magnet came out in the first place is on the company. It just wasn’t inserted into the mod as far as it should have been. I can’t get it out because I installed it as far as it should have been. Also the “resin” is very prone to being scratched. Because it’s a softer material, it picked up a few minor scratches from being thrown into my pocket or in the side pocket of my backpack for work.

The 18650 adapter is bad. the pin isn't secured in the plastic housing so you can pop it out while trying to install your battery. if you're running 18650's, do yourself a favor and pick up adapters that come with the pulse as those work perfectly.

Pros
  • Feels amazing in the hand, almost silky.

• fits a 25mm with no overhang

• sqounk action is very responsive on both the push and suck back

• lower dropped voltage compared to the Pulse

• fantastic locking mechanism

• Strong magnets for the door

• firm fire button, not squishy like the Pulse

• Price
Cons
  • can be prone to scratches

• 18650 adapter is garbage

• No spare anything (spring for button, magnets, bottle)

• Possible QC issues with the construction, was assured it was just my box but I only got one so I can't confirm.

• smaller hole to access the bottle can be an issue for those with big fingers, taller mod makes it awkward for people with small hands to sqounk.
All in all, not a bad device for a company to start with. It's been an absolute joy to use, and the better voltage drop has made it that much better than the Pulse in my eyes. There are some glaring issues with it though, and while it's relatively cheap, it's not an excuse for the construction problems. The device hasn't been released yet as most sites currently have it on pre-order, so hopefully VPDAM addresses the issues before they ship.

TL;DR and Rating

The Leon sqounker gets a 7/10.

If this device was more expensive, with the issues I had, it would be a 4 or 5 out of 10. But because this mod is so cheap for a resin sqounker, I can gloss over the lack of spares and the adapter basically going straight into my trash can. This device is almost half the price of the Stentorian Ram and it's a fully mechanical box (the wiring in the Ram makes it not truly mechanical, it's an unregulated box.) This box is what the Ram should have been.

Cacuq Ecig is selling them for $28.80.

I realize that this is an aliexpress storefront. Cacuq does have it's own website, but according to them that website is for wholesale only. I've expressed to them that they should have their own website for direct sales to consumers, hopefully if enough people voice their opinion for this, they will listen.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors