VU is generous...not dumb

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU is the reason that not only did I begin diy coils and juice in the past couple ofweeks, but the big news is that as of today, I am stinky free for 2 1/2 months.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Congrats!

Mommywine

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So time and time again I witness users with less than 10 post count making the PIF area their first stop. Just because you see this forum has an area where caring members go out of their way to make another's vaping experience better does not mean they cannot see through the bullshit and true intentions of your sign up. At the very least act like you would like to have a conversation or get to know them personally. I care about this community and this forum so maybe try to integrate and be a part of it before taking advantage of it's giving nature.
View attachment 36684

Wow. When I saw the title, 'Pay it Forward', I thought, 'Geez! Vaping Underground forum has a place for us to post about the people we want to help! Like the crowd-funding my single parent friend started for her daughter to finish this year's university in a different city, or the one where a family started a crowd-funding for a woman who's partner had been murdered, and she was hospitalized. I had no idea that this is for us to give to each other. I'll read more. Did think it was a good idea though, for us to post what we support, and maybe draw other people to support, too. Didn't realize that it's about ejuice donations to fellow users and such.
Figured that out pretty quickly, reading the posts! :)
Still think my first misconception would be a neat idea. We could choose who/what we want to support, or not. I also do not like the idea of posting 'support here' for any kind of charitable event/person(s). I believe that should be private, and up to each person's discretion. So, maybe not such a neat idea.
Ergo, time to surf more threads/posts. Still new to the whole forum thing.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Wow. When I saw the title, 'Pay it Forward', I thought, 'Geez! Vaping Underground forum has a place for us to post about the people we want to help! Like the crowd-funding my single parent friend started for her daughter to finish this year's university in a different city, or the one where a family started a crowd-funding for a woman who's partner had been murdered, and she was hospitalized. I had no idea that this is for us to give to each other. I'll read more. Did think it was a good idea though, for us to post what we support, and maybe draw other people to support, too. Didn't realize that it's about ejuice donations to fellow users and such.
Figured that out pretty quickly, reading the posts! :)
Still think my first misconception would be a neat idea. We could choose who/what we want to support, or not. I also do not like the idea of posting 'support here' for any kind of charitable event/person(s). I believe that should be private, and up to each person's discretion. So, maybe not such a neat idea.
Ergo, time to surf more threads/posts. Still new to the whole forum thing.

I have a tough time weeding through the "Go fund me" etc. crowd.

I was brought up to believe it is wrong to ask for gifts from your friends like free college. It's as tacky as asking for money on an invitation to a birthday or wedding.

It's something else if a friend starts a request on your behalf after a tragedy like a house fire or something, I think its a great way to help someone out of a very bad spot.

I had a friend that posted a "need" for a fricking motorcycle so her commute would be cheaper. Really turned me off.

Mommywine

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a tough time weeding through the "Go fund me" etc. crowd.

I was brought up to believe it is wrong to ask for gifts from your friends like free college. It's as tacky as asking for money on an invitation to a birthday or wedding.

It's something else if a friend starts a request on your behalf after a tragedy like a house fire or something, I think its a great way to help someone out of a very bad spot.

I had a friend that posted a "need" for a fricking motorcycle so her commute would be cheaper. Really turned me off.

Hi JuicyLucy,

I hear you there. Asking for cash (unless it's your profession) is trashy.

The only reason I supported the friend with the daughter is that I have known them for 25 years. The mom is a single mom, 2 kids, one 12 and the other at school in the 'big city'. She had NEVER asked for help - not at any time during the past 21 years she's been raising that daughter alone, later. To do that for her daughter, at this time, showed me miles that she really wanted to help her daughter, and could not. Her goal was $2500. Didn't even go to her family for it, but then again, I've met her family. She's not a welfare mom, she's always worked, though usually lower wage jobs. Lack of education herself.

I detest those who ask for help too, like you wrote, the 'motorcycle so her commute would be cheaper'. That's trashy. In this case I felt like I was giving a hand up, not a hand out.

It's easy to pick through the ones who deserve PIF based on our own experiences. Thanks for the reply. I agree with you 100%.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I myself, I like to look at the PIF section periodically. I just started in DIY and saw a post there for someone that I want to help. And at the same time a member here gave mine my first RDA. PIF can be a good thing as long as it's not abused. It's the few that abuse it that ruin it for those that are truly in need. I don't have alot myself, but the way that I see it, if I can't afford my own vaping then I refuse to ask others to do it for me.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I myself, I like to look at the PIF section periodically. I just started in DIY and saw a post there for someone that I want to help. And at the same time a member here gave mine my first RDA. PIF can be a good thing as long as it's not abused. It's the few that abuse it that ruin it for those that are truly in need. I don't have alot myself, but the way that I see it, if I can't afford my own vaping then I refuse to ask others to do it for me.

You know how the first year or so as a vaper is all about trying new stuff, to see if you like it. I had bought several RDAs, none of them expensive, all clones except the Caterpillar, and discovered I really don't like super-airy or dual-coil vapes -- so those were prime PIF items. I'm glad they went to others who could appreciate them, instead of just gathering dust and taking up space here!

Andria

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

I agree all the way.

And that RDA someone gave you - it probably wasn't because your first or second post on this site was to beg either.

My guess that during a discussion, you said you couldn't afford something, and someone who already had one and didn't need it thought it would be nice to give it to you to use.

That is what makes the world go round.

Random acts of kindness are awesome on both the giving and receiving end - I try to live that way daily.

I am also someone who has benefited greatly by and from the generosity of total strangers in times of great need - but I didn't beg or even ask anybody for it.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know exactly what you mean. I spend alot of time on VU. Especially now that I have started mixing. There are alot pif really good people here and alot to learn as well. I spent 2 months reading the entire FA diy thread before I even made a profile here. I love this place in the short time I've been here and intend to show the same kindness to someone else one day. As you said, makes the world go round.

Last edited:

Etown smoke

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
This is a great thread, lots of good posts in here. The whole VU community is awesome, this is where most of my vaping knowledge has come from with a lot of trail and error in the mix lol. I started a PiF box thread for Canadian members, mostly for the fact of getting more people up here to know each other more plus it's a good way for me to help out and send some of the extra stuff I have accumulated around so it might get used someday.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
This is a great thread, lots of good posts in here. The whole VU community is awesome, this is where most of my vaping knowledge has come from with a lot of trail and error in the mix lol. I started a PiF box thread for Canadian members, mostly for the fact of getting more people up here to know each other more plus it's a good way for me to help out and send some of the extra stuff I have accumulated around so it might get used someday.

That is so awesome - - -

woodyt74

Obsessive? Who me?
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi all, I've been away for a while with some health issues and I've gone back to simpler vaping times with a couple of MTL setups. Since I'm not sub-ohm anymore I have a bunch of mods, tanks & coils to PIF but want them to go to someone they will help. Where I live I don't have access to a vet group and I'm not sure how good sub-ohm will be to help them get off the stinkies. I welcome any suggestions and I like what BgrmVapr and midknight420 would like to do so maybe that would be an option.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hi all, I've been away for a while with some health issues and I've gone back to simpler vaping times with a couple of MTL setups. Since I'm not sub-ohm anymore I have a bunch of mods, tanks & coils to PIF but want them to go to someone they will help. Where I live I don't have access to a vet group and I'm not sure how good sub-ohm will be to help them get off the stinkies. I welcome any suggestions and I like what BgrmVapr and midknight420 would like to do so maybe that would be an option.

I know someone here on VU that could really use the gift of an Achilles dripper if you have one to PIF.

woodyt74

Obsessive? Who me?
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I know someone here on VU that could really use the gift of an Achilles dripper if you have one to PIF.
Thanks for the reply but I only have tanks, no drippers. The mods all have good batteries BTW.

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The mods all have good batteries BTW.
One mod I've always wanted is a Sig 150. If you have one of those I would be very happy to give it a good home.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You could start a thread of your own here, in the PIF section, either for suggestions, or people in need, or want. You get to set the terms if you choose to. It would be seen a little quicker than in the middle of this thread. You could even choose to sell in the hardware section.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You could start a thread of your own here, in the PIF section, either for suggestions, or people in need, or want. You get to set the terms if you choose to. It would be seen a little quicker than in the middle of this thread. You could even choose to sell in the hardware section.

True dat! I had fantastic response to those RDAs I PIFed -- within hrs for the first, and the third and last was gone within days.

Andria

Strawberrys18

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Then you get someone like me, I'm being totally honest. No reason to lie I ain't like that. I really need the help unless I can convince my GF other wise.

KingLouie

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
One mod I've always wanted is a Sig 150. If you have one of those I would be very happy to give it a good home.
You still want one? im assuming you meant the sigelei 150. i have the TC version and its not selling... im slightly OCD, and having clutter or things i dont use REALLY bugs the hell out of me. cant say why. If youre in need of a mod, ill hook you up.. All i ask is you cover shipping, if you have more money to give thatd be cool, if not no questions asked.. Doesn't come with batteries though. I dont know your position but i dont have any to spare, im sorry. Let me know

DoctorJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
This kinda reminds me of the days when I played RPGMMO's like World of Warcraft and had low level characters constantly begging for gold or gear and then seeing the same character selling the gear on the auction house. That didn't really bother me as much as PIF'ing gear or juice on another forum and then seeing it on the selling thread the next day.

As someone said about Karma...I highly believe what someone once told me a long time ago that any ill-gotten gains shall be repaid 10 fold. In other words, if you steal a dollar, some how some way some day, you'll lose/pay 10 dollars for that 1 dollar you stole. However, I know a few people that the Karma bus has missed and am I'm still waiting for them to get ran over...I know that sounds mean, but oh well. If you knew me, you'd understand.

xkimberlyrenee

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm new here, just signed up yesterday, and saw the PIF thread and immediately thought of all the things I could give away on here that I don't use anymore, but I'm just so nervous about someone taking something and reselling it.
I have a mech mod and a dripper, which was my first ever vape, but this thread makes me a little nervous to do that.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm new here, just signed up yesterday, and saw the PIF thread and immediately thought of all the things I could give away on here that I don't use anymore, but I'm just so nervous about someone taking something and reselling it.
I have a mech mod and a dripper, which was my first ever vape, but this thread makes me a little nervous to do that.

If you truly have some items you'd like to PIF, it's advisable to do so with members who have been around a while with a decent post count. You don't have to be a newbie on the board to be legitimately in need. All of us have had hard times at one point or another in life.I suggest you just get to know the folks here and go with your gut instincts when it comes to PIF'ing.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

Hey, welcome to VU - Mark's advice is spot on.

I've PIFed a few things here and there since this thread started - all to people I found out could use something I have and wasn't using or had plenty of.

Conversely, I've had several people offer me things in PM or in a thread, which is so generous. Very humbling.

I only accepted once - mainly because it was something I coveted - luxury vape gear - but would have a very hard time affording :) - even though I have an adequate vape budget :p

Canadian Vaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Maybe once I convert all the smokers I know I can PIF on here :X but for now everything extra I get I've been giving away to friends and family, wish a manufacturer would send me a pile of starter kits lol...

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Maybe once I convert all the smokers I know I can PIF on here :X but for now everything extra I get I've been giving away to friends and family, wish a manufacturer would send me a pile of starter kits lol...

The problem with that is, unless people first think it up for themselves and seek it out themselves, they're somewhat unlikely to make that big a change. You might be the acorn planter for them, but don't expect oak trees to start springing out of the ground like mad. It can be discouraging... but just planting acorns can be helpful to others, even if you never know about the success.

Andria

Canadian Vaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
The problem with that is, unless people first think it up for themselves and seek it out themselves, they're somewhat unlikely to make that big a change. You might be the acorn planter for them, but don't expect oak trees to start springing out of the ground like mad. It can be discouraging... but just planting acorns can be helpful to others, even if you never know about the success.
Andria
I've gotten 4 people to switch that had no intentions to quit whatsoever, I give out my gear to those that look the sickest from smoking first :X

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've gotten 4 people to switch that had no intentions to quit whatsoever, I give out my gear to those that look the sickest from smoking first :X

Well that's terrific! But if they hit snags... hardware problems, juice problems, LIFE problems... don't be too discouraged if not all of them stick with it -- it really is a hard thing to do, and requires a mind-boggling amount of commitment. But, sometimes even when snags are hit, it's only a temporary setback -- that happened to me, and I was able to get back on that wagon and stick with it -- and I was one of those who started vaping with zero intention of quitting smoking; I just thought I'd be a plain damn fool to pass up such a wonderful opportunity -- even AFTER hitting the snag and relapsing to dual-use.

Andria

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I couldn't imagine coming here and first thing to do is ask for free stuff, (except advice lol, I've asked for plenty of free advice) but then I'm not hard up for money so it's maybe hard to understand. Especially with so many scammers out there. I do plan on cleaning up some of my stuff I don't use though and will give a majority away on here and to some friends IRL.

Canadian Vaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I was one of those who started vaping with zero intention of quitting smoking; I just thought I'd be a plain damn fool to pass up such a wonderful opportunity -- even AFTER hitting the snag and relapsing to dual-use.
I started with intentions of quitting, I tried to quit smoking for pretty much 15 years, non of the "approved" stuff worked....... One night of drinking I smoked 3+ packs 80+ cigarettes the next morning I felt like I was dying, literally I thought I was dying, a couple weeks later I gave vaping a shot, set myself up the night before, charged/primed and since the next day I haven't had a cigarette, March 1st 2015...

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I started with intentions of quitting, I tried to quit smoking for pretty much 15 years, non of the "approved" stuff worked....... One night of drinking I smoked 3+ packs 80+ cigarettes the next morning I felt like I was dying, literally I thought I was dying, a couple weeks later I gave vaping a shot, set myself up the night before, charged/primed and since the next day I haven't had a cigarette, March 1st 2015...
That is my birthday. Best present I could receive is reading about a life saved by something I love so much. Congratulations on your quit and vape on

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I smoked for 39 yrs, had tried to quit 4 times before, and it was a dismal failure everytime. So I had completely given up the idea that I could EVER quit smoking; I thought I was stuck with it till it killed me. I just wanted to stay off the front porch on sub-freezing nights. But after I had tried it, and found a juice that closely approximated the taste of Virginia Slims, it hit me right between the eyes: I might actually be able to quit, at last! But I refused to get my hopes up; I just played a game, called "How many cigarettes can I replace with vaping?" The number of cigarettes smoked went down and down and down... till I just couldn't figure out why I was wasting my time and money on those stupid, stinky, obnoxious things. Even when I had the dual-use relapse, it had a lot more to do with digestive health, recovery from appendectomy, than any desire to smoke -- I really didn't want to, but my body had other ideas, and was screaming for those other alkaloids so loudly, I couldn't hear anything else. So I smoked, for a month, but I got some WTA, and when I finally laid the smokes down again, it was the WTA that helped me KEEP them gone. Took 15 months just to get free of WTA, but I've been off that too since March.

Andria

Spyg0at

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had to stop smoking for 4 years. They didn't allow smokes where I was staying. When I went home, I had a smoke and puked. Then I started vaping. That was almost 6 years ago.

H

Harry Nutczak

hey this place look cool i don't need anything but i could maybe give something let me look through my stuff.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The ones I really don't understand are the "I can't afford to vape, guess I'll have to go back to smoking." Uhhh... what??? Cigarettes were $5.69/pk here in July 2014, and I bet they're over $6/pk now... and they're dirt cheap in GA compared to a lot of other places -- and for me, a pk was gone in a single day -- that was nearly $40 a week. I've bought a couple mods that were $40, and they sure lasted longer than a week! I've bought a few that didn't even cost that much... which also lasted a lot longer than a week. It's true that juice costs money too, but it can be found very cheaply, or it can be made even more cheaply. Can't afford coils? I couldn't justify that continuing expense, so I got some RDAs and learned to build my own -- it's not rocket surgery. I paid about $12 for a huge pkg of japanese organic cotton, which may well last the rest of my life!

If you can't afford to vape... you can afford far, far less to smoke.

Andria
Spot on! I understood that back in the day when most people's exposure to vaping was the overpriced Smoking Everywhere kiosks in the malls, but now there are reasonably priced vape shops everywhere! Yeah, the shops of today have some fancy gear that's expensive, but they also have some that's very cheap. Like most of us here, I buy most of my stuff online, which is typically cheaper than buying from a B&M. But, I bought a mod with tank, some coils, and enough eliquid to last a week or so, for two different employees last year from a vendor's shop and paid under $100 total (less than $50/person). That's cheaper than a carton of smokes, and the hardware will last a very long time.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
If I was super-duper broke, like I was as a young-adult-with-children-broke, I always found a way to smoke without begging, so I think the same can be done with vaping. It wasn't always pretty, easy or enjoyable, but I managed.

End of story.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If I was super-duper broke, like I was as a young-adult-with-children-broke, I always found a way to smoke without begging, so I think the same can be done with vaping. It wasn't always pretty, easy or enjoyable, but I managed.

End of story.

Heh... to my husband, one of the VERY best things about me vaping is that, the day before payday, he doesn't have to roll up pennies to get me a pk of smokes to last until we get the paycheck cashed! He also loves not having to go give Walgreens $11 every-other day. He loves that since I switched to vaping, he got to return to the coin collecting hobby that he had to abandon when the economy got so bad; we had to spend a lot of the collectible currency he had amassed, just to survive 2009 -- he had an entire collection, $1 to $100 bills, of star notes -- which had to be used to pay our electric bill at one point. We both love that since we're not spending $176+/mo on smokes, we were able to afford to get an ADT security system and afford the monthly monitoring. And we also both love that now, pretty much anytime, regardless of how long it is till payday, if there's something we need at the store, we just fucking go get it, and don't have to roll coins or flip a coin to see who doesn't get paid. We can even get Subway or Dominos, the night before payday -- a night on which we often had to make do with a box of mac n cheese, before I switched to vaping.

Anyone who says that vaping is expensive isn't doing it right.

Andria

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Heh... to my husband, one of the VERY best things about me vaping is that, the day before payday, he doesn't have to roll up pennies to get me a pk of smokes to last until we get the paycheck cashed! He also loves not having to go give Walgreens $11 every-other day. He loves that since I switched to vaping, he got to return to the coin collecting hobby that he had to abandon when the economy got so bad; we had to spend a lot of the collectible currency he had amassed, just to survive 2009 -- he had an entire collection, $1 to $100 bills, of star notes -- which had to be used to pay our electric bill at one point. We both love that since we're not spending $176+/mo on smokes, we were able to afford to get an ADT security system and afford the monthly monitoring. And we also both love that now, pretty much anytime, regardless of how long it is till payday, if there's something we need at the store, we just fucking go get it, and don't have to roll coins or flip a coin to see who doesn't get paid. We can even get Subway or Dominos, the night before payday -- a night on which we often had to make do with a box of mac n cheese, before I switched to vaping.

Anyone who says that vaping is expensive isn't doing it right.

Andria

I vaped super-frugally the first two years and even though I was dual using, saved so much money it wasn't funny.

Redchigh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Will you guys please help me out I dont have any juice or mods and really would appreciate it if you send me some gear ;)
My kids are drop outs, Im in a wheelchair and I wear depends. I cannot get my own Esmokes cause I cant afford it with my disabilities. Its hard for me to quit because my kids all smoke their exaggerates around me. Please send me anything you can afford to give up!!

Too much punctuation to be believable. ;)

VU Sponsors