Warning on Efest 35 and 20 amp cells.

bbybee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Bad for individuals if problems arise. Bad for the vaping community, as well. If any incidents occur, those out to regulate and/or control the vaping industry will blame vapers not the batteries.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Great find and thanks for sharing!

KREAM

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks Scuba. The chart with the is very informative in that it suggests a safe sub ohmage for each batt. I rarely go below .8 but good info to have for when I do.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For 18650 size batteries, just use the VTC series. These have, and are still well established as the go to batteries for sub ohm builds. The price difference is non-existent with other brands, so until something else is widely proven as a better/safer make, not worth it IMHO.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good to have this cleared up - I'm still safe at 0.4 ohm with my 20A Efest "35A" batteries that I acquired by accident, but from now on I'll stick with my tried and true VTC5's....

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
For 18650 size batteries, just use the VTC series. These have, and are still well established as the go to batteries for sub ohm builds. The price difference is non-existent with other brands, so until something else is widely proven as a better/safer make, not worth it IMHO.
sony does not make them.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
people are starting to find that the VTC's are kinda falling into the "cool kids" category....

Galaxyrider

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I had zero interest in price.. I too will stick to what I know, but, I have heard that they were being discontinued.. ALL I want it the BEST batter available, Im not the big sub ohm'er, but its the peace of mind.... just in case.

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wow you think that's new news that Sony doesn't make the VTC5 in house. Sony have out sourced the manufacturing of batteries for some time now. That doesn't mean they don't have to meet Sony's specs and aren't real Sony batteries. I still have yet to see a graph of a real Sony cell that isn't what it's suppose to be.
I see all this posted. but no hard evidence to back it up. I'm not talking hear say from other forums. Show me the video of a brand new cell not doing what it's suppose to do. Not some worn out cell or a clone.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
sony does not make them.

Oh, did not know that. I was only going by popular consensus that these are the only ones that should be used. Granted, I don't really sub ohm below .7ohm myself, but as Galaxyrider mentioned, it is peace of mind.

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The VTC's are good proven cells. Anyone saying otherwise does not know what they are talking about. It does not matter if Sony does not actually make them in house because there are only a handful of actual battery manufacturers in the world. The Efest 2500mah(LG's) are also good cells. While they do only have a 20 amp continuous rating they do have a 30 amp 75 second pulse rating which for 95% of people is more than enough.

Efest does need to get their shit together as its really a crap shoot from cell to cell if its quality or not.

Warhawk-AVG

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A member named HKJ (at a different forum) does a VERY in depth review...even he claims the 35A rating is overly optimistic...but he did test them at 20A continuous and reports they hold up well

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/30974

in fact...you want some hard hitting data..NOONE does a more in depth test of batteries and chargers and whatnot...he has so many vendors sending him batteries for testing he is 4 months backlogged!

http://www.lygte-info.dk/

-edit- see budget flashlights and vaping DOES have a symbiotic existence :p

Last edited:

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ugh, here this is again... Some users have tested the 20A 3100mah batteries up to 33A and it has held up. I'm not saying disregard this info, just take it with a grain of salt..

Warhawk-AVG

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ugh, here this is again... Some users have tested the 20A 3100mah batteries up to 33A and it has held up. I'm not saying disregard this info, just take it with a grain of salt..
I dunno about that :p

IMG_0519.JPG

Jonathan Tittle

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have quite a few of the Purple EFEST 2500 mAH "35 amp" batteries and have been using them pretty much non-stop for the past few months, even after reading multiple articles on them, including this one. Even if they are 20amp instead of 30amp, unless I'm pushing a .15 ohm build to it's limits non-stop (4.2v pushing 28 amps; 3.7v pushing 24 amps), they should hold up just fine as even with a 20 amp continuous, they most likely have double or triple that as a pulse; the VTC4 and VTC5's do (noted in a post above).

Galaxyrider

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What we do have to look out for is nefarious vendors getting re-wrap skins and re-wrapping junk, sux
I know.. that scares th you know what out of me too. Thats why I am careful about who and where I buy batteries from.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
At least if I buy a LG cell, I know what I am getting.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The problem is Efest they are a battery relabeler every time I hear someone tout these batteries I cringe because you never know what you are getting they do not make batteries they are as bad as others that relabel. I will stick to Japanese batteries...

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What we do have to look out for is nefarious vendors getting re-wrap skins and re-wrapping junk, sux

Yeah, but the irony is: our beloved AW batteries are just re-wrapped cells from the big-name companies too. We're trusting Mr. Wang that they are tested for quality.

Same can also be said of Orbtronic, which is also a "premium" brand that just adds a Japanese PTC fuse to 'em.. ;)

Galaxyrider

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The problem is Efest they are a battery relabeler every time I hear someone tout these batteries I cringe because you never know what you are getting they do not make batteries they are as bad as others that relabel. I will stick to Japanese batteries...
Thank you, that's a BIG heads up for me.. someone told me that they were going to stop making the VT5s.. any truth in that? When it comes to safety, I'm only interested in the best I can get.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, but the irony is: our beloved AW batteries are just re-wrapped cells from the big-name companies too. We're trusting Mr. Wang that they are tested for quality.

Same can also be said of Orbtronic, which is also a "premium" brand that just adds a Japanese PTC fuse to 'em.. ;)
True dat I was going to bring up AW but I thought someone would yell at me. Then I would cry then squash them with logic :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thank you, that's a BIG heads up for me.. someone told me that they were going to stop making the VT5s.. any truth in that? When it comes to safety, I'm only interested in the best I can get.
The VTC5 is great as is the LG 35A either I have pushed both very hard things I would never have others do heck for most of my 15w vv/be I use Panasonic 18650pd or CG
I base the battery on need I am currently running. LG 35A I'm my IPV V2 50w box no prob just my experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jgoss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm with you on the LG 35amp batteries. They don't get much love, but I think they are great. I actually like them better than the vtc's. They seem to last longer for me. It's probably the way I vape and not the cell...but whatever works works.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm with you on the LG 35amp batteries. They don't get much love, but I think they are great. I actually like them better than the vtc's. They seem to last longer for me. It's probably the way I vape and not the cell...but whatever works works.
.I agree thats why the LG 35a is in my ipv v2 50w ;)

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FYI the efest 2500 mah are the LG 35a HE2's with a efest wrap on it. Same battery. Efest are very hit and miss but occasionally they get a good cell. Always wait for quality reviews before buying a efest.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I would never ever EVER use anything but Sony Vtc5's

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
You sure? since Rt5's do not exist and all. Just sayin.....
Sony vtc5..........this is what happens when you post with too little sleep! I sit corrected lol

New mixer

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What problems are people having, I have 2 pairs of efest battery's which I use in my koopor plus n usually run 0.15 ohm coils ??? Should I get some new battery's ??

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What problems are people having, I have 2 pairs of efest battery's which I use in my koopor plus n usually run 0.15 ohm coils ??? Should I get some new battery's ??
You might have better luck here. Far as I know efest has had a bit of a sketchy track record regarding overrating their batteries. Many people seem to stick with samsung 25r's, lg he 2's, hg2's etc.

http://vapingunderground.com/forums/battery-junkies.402/

Have a look here for some decent battery suggestions.
https://batterybro.com/collections/moochs-recommended
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/mooch.256958/

New mixer

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You might have better luck here. Far as I know efest has had a bit of a sketchy track record regarding overrating their batteries. Many people seem to stick with samsung 25r's, lg he 2's, hg2's etc.

http://vapingunderground.com/forums/battery-junkies.402/

Have a look here for some decent battery suggestions.
https://batterybro.com/collections/moochs-recommended
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/mooch.256958/
I've got 1pair 3500mah 20A 3.7v 18650s
And 1pair 3000mah 35A 3.7v 18650s
Both work really well don't get hot n power my mod for ages!! What problems should I be looking for if there are any ??

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Efest will be the death of us with this shit. They are one of the best arguments for legislative oversight and market regulation. THIS is where the government needs to be doing its job and protecting consumers.

Somehow, I don't doubt that they may have let some 4A cells out. I know they've let out at least some 10A ones and labeled them as 35A. It's something they would do... ...something they're known to do.

Sometimes, they have okay, suitable, if only somewhat overspec'd cells, but when they don't... ...jesus, they are incorrigible. I don't understand why people buy b-bin big name cells from a company that is KNOWN to fabricate specs for more money than OEM cells. Their wraps DO look really nice, I suppose...

Can somebody explain to me what the appeal is to efest? And I'm not talking for your average Joe Vapes, with his vape-shop degree. Of course they want what they think is the 100A 50000mAh cell. Clearly efest makes batteries with guys like him in mind...

I'm talking about people who buy efest, even knowing exactly who they are and what they're about. Like, why bother when you can just get some 25r's or any of the many great LG cells widely available for dirt cheap and not have to wonder what's under the wrap, let alone research it? Shit, even panasonic makes great mid-drain cells.

I know it's not all ignorance. Plenty of people willingly buy them knowing that efest is full of shit. It would be one thing if they were hocking these things at $3 a pop, but they're not, so what's the deal? You don't have to bob for apples to get the absolute best cells, you know? Just seems to be a lot easier to buy the best, for the least, from a vendor who tests their stock and treats it's people right. We are seriously blessed to have vendors like liion, illumn, imr batteries... ...they make it so you never have to buy rewraps. I suppose the option is always there, even with them...

I just don't get that. Why give efest the business when they predictably fuck the user over and put them in danger? I really wish people wouldn't encourage them with their money. If they can get away with selling batteries labeled like this and still have people buy ANY of their cells, why would they stop? To me, it doesn't matter that they have some good 20A cells. It's the fact that they sell far worse cells than that and spec them the same. By buying their "35A" 20A cells, you are also supporting their "35A" 10A cells. If sony did this, we'd have their heads. So why does an openly shady Chinese re-wrapper get a pass?

Honestly, my biggest gripe with efest is that because of their labeling practices there are people who can't be convinced that there are no 35A cells. It is very hard to convince some people that the label on their battery is wrong and that some 3rd party guy they've never heard of's chart shows the truth. And I get it. Why would they? I know I would have some doubts.

They often trust the pretty, legitimate-looking wrap over the words of a stranger who talks of figures they're not familiar with. I've been accused of being some sort of battery conspiracy nut simply for telling someone that their 35A cell isn't what it seems... ...they don't even believe that efest doesn't make batteries specifically for vapers. That is some very toxic disinformation.

Last edited:

Falconeer

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Thanks very much for posting.

I do use Efest Batteries as both here locally in Scotland and in Spain the vape shops only really sell that brand. I use mainly iSticks when vaping outdoors but do have four 40w K Boxes and run them on Efests, and have done so for about a year) but as I'm mainlly a low power "Tootle Puffer" rarely going over 8 watts and using 1.6 - 1.8 ohm coils mainly but also using 0.75 ohms in my GS Airs I feel I am safe enough.

Again my thanks to the OP and I have taken a copy of the table.

New mixer

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What happens if the battery's go wrong?? Do they blow up in ya pocket ??

New mixer

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm running 0.15ohm coils in my cloud beast on a koopor plus n never had any problems with my efest battery's

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What happens is they vent. Hot gasses and chemicals that are much better on the inside than out. With your kooper, a regulated device, you have some protection for shorts or an incorrectly inserted battery that a mech doesn't. With your kooper the resistance of your coil doesn't control how much stress is put on your battery. The chip makes those demands based on the wattage you have dialed up and the available voltage from the batt(s). As the voltage falls the amp demand rises. Depending on the wattage you demand and how low you go on battery levels and of course your particular set of Efest's you may be just fine. You might however be getting less out of it than you think. The problem with Efest is that you are never certain what's under that wrap. Aside from their mostly wildly inflated specs you have no guarantee that what's under that wrap is even the same as the last set of supposedly identical Efest's you bought. They can - and have - changed them at their whim. Anecdotal statements that I have done such and such and got away with it speaks only to that particular batch.

Last edited:

New mixer

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What happens is they vent. Hot gasses and chemicals that are much better on the inside than out. With your kooper, a regulated device, you have some protection for shorts or an incorrectly inserted battery that a mech doesn't. With your kooper the resistance of your coil doesn't control how much stress is put on your battery. The chip makes those demands based on the wattage you have dialed up and the available voltage from the batt(s). As the voltage falls the amp demand rises. Depending on the wattage you demand and how low you go on battery levels and of course your particular set of Efest's you may be just fine. You might however be getting less out of it than you think. The problem with Efest is that you are never certain what's under that wrap. Aside from their mostly wildly inflated specs you have no guarantee that what's under that wrap is even the same as the last set of supposedly identical Efest's you bought. They can - and have - changed them at their whim. Anecdotal statements that I have done such and such and got away with it speaks only to that particular batch.
Think I'm gunna buy some new LG batteries or something! Tho both pairs of efests I have last me two days of constant vapeing which is pretty good!! Do you think i would of had any problems by now seen as I've been using these batteries for about 2months+ ??

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Like I said I can't say how hard you're pushing them. As long as they are lasting and you are happy with the performance and they aren't getting hot they should be OK. Next time you buy just remember that known high quality OEM cells by major manufacturers like LG and Samsung are actually cheaper than the Efest's. With any battery look for a trusted seller to avoid fakes. There are some threads on the subject here in the forum.

Last edited:

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As long as your getting at least 20 amps they will be fine..... Some say 40amps if you get 1/2 of that that's 20 amps...... Most mods use 2 or 3 batteries..... 3. (20amp) cells won't blow up......

I have hit (3) efest green 40 amp......Means at least 20 amps..... 20 or 30 times at 200watts and 250 watts and I'm not blown up yet........

Now on a mechanical on a .05ohm 10 second pulls time after time, a low shitty amp BATTERY has a chance of blowing your shit up !!!!!

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The way I see it, if you buy Efest you're getting screwed 3 times over.
You're getting a lower grade battery, you're paying more for it and you're being lied to.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My only hope is that samsung's 18650's continue to maintain the same quality control they've had for awhile now. Given their recent shitstorm of bad press (and rightly so) over the galaxy's blowing up and even a washing machine blowing apart, they're on a quick road to lose that reputation. Obviously a washer is different and 18650's aren't a new redesigned soft cell like ships with phones and tablets but hell, they need to get it together. They cut one too many corners somewhere.

I had an efest battery as that is what they sold here and I was told it was good by the seller. I used them for the last 2 years (not the same exact batteries) and on Sunday night I took one off the charger and used it and it blew up. Luckily I was not holding but it shot like a rocket destroying my wall and caught my carpet on fire

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had an efest battery as that is what they sold here and I was told it was good by the seller. I used them for the last 2 years (not the same exact batteries) and on Sunday night I took one off the charger and used it and it blew up. Luckily I was not holding but it shot like a rocket destroying my wall and caught my carpet on fire
Once you use them, they are good for 1 year... .. especially a Li-ion

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors