Become a Patron!

Watts and ohms to get best flavour from diy juice?

tatty29

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm wanting to start with diy e juice. Iv got my list of flavours equipment to make and some good recipes. I like my coffee, chocolates, sweets and deserts.

I was wondering what the best ohms and watts are to vape juices like this?

Also if any one wants to comment on tanks or drippers for flavour that would be great to.

Many thanks in advance for any advice or thoughts on the topic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That's quite a generalized request... It will vary greatly depending on your mod and atty. I LOVE my kanger subtank mini (using the RBA with stock coil) on my Eleaf iStick 50. I've been vaping a custard style DIY juice for about a week now at 23.5 watts using a 0.7ohm single 28g coil. At least I think it's 28g. Like I said, it's the stock coil that comes with the newer RBA deck with the holes for juice flow.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't subohm and don't like hot vapes. I also think high temperatures change many flavors the way I don't like. Others will differ in opinion. I use 1-1.2 ohm at 22.5 watts, 26g kanthal, in everything and only single coil. I use basic stuff, a mutation x v3, veritas and magma.

I tried a derringer but it was too hot for me.

Some rdas cannot single coil but are very good. I want to try the velocity.

Chocolates will scorch at higher temperatures. Works at what I use.

I also diy and find what I stated works best for what I make and the recipes I find on VU.

I use mainly flavourart and flavor apprentice flavors.

tatty29

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks guys. I know it was quiet a general question crazy chef but I just wanted opinions on what works for the individuals really. Maybe that would give me a few things to try.

Currently using
subtank mini
Istick 50 watts
Usherly 0.5 ohm
I also have an RDA Iv not used much at this point.

The reason I was asking is I used to vape store brought e juice then I tried a few of a friends diy mixes ( he vapes at same ohms and 20 watts and says taste fine in his sub tank mini) but they didn't taste as I expected them. I want to diy myself and have just put in my orders. But if ppl say what works for them I can play around and see what works for me.

Thanks joeyboy. I will try the 1 ohm and above to build on my RDA. I thought it might be the ohms but wasn't sure. I already build with 26g kanthal so my coils should be good to go then just change amount of wraps I use. I tend to vape at 20 watts because of the small juice channels on my sub tank and that works well with out dry hits so I'll prob stick to that or try upping to the 22.5 watts and see.

Can I ask why a single coil a aposed to duel coils?

Iv just ordered 30 flavourart flavours and a few flavour apprentice flavours to follow some recipes I have found on VU to try and yes a good few of them are chocolate.

Thanks for the great insight and the possible causes of why my flavours don't taste good.

Johnny Matthews

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Personally, I like to vape at pretty high wattages. I usually run my Sigelei 150 right around 75-80W using my Arctic Subtank @ 0.2ohms - some juices that don't like the heat (i.e custards, some fruity vapes, chocolate as was stated) I lower the output and vape right around 60-65W.
I also use and RDA built @ 0.14ohms on a mech mod (~125W on a fresh battery) and I really need to pulse some juices or they start to get a burnt taste.

For your situation, considering you have an RDA and an iStick 50, I'd build a coil pretty high (1.5-2 ohms) and adjust your wattage according to taste. With a 2ohm coil you could hit your 50W mark @ 10V, expect lots of heat and flavor there! Best thing to do is use the VV on your iStick and just vape and adjust until you hit your sweet spot.

Hope that helps!

tatty29

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Johnny thanks for the suggestions. I think as I learn bout diy juice I'm also going to play around a little and see what works best and use some of the info here as guide lines. Thinking its going to be a very informative and interesting journey.

ScreamQueen

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I like cooler vapes overall, but it really depends on the juice. For instance, my current ADV is a dragon fruit cupcake DIY that's very high in creams and sweeteners. It's perfect for me at 20w on double 28g kanthal coils at about .6 ohms. However, when I vape the same juice on my husband's gear at 60 watts, the creams taste like hot wax. And temp control is a whole other animal as well! You'll really have to find the sweet spot for each juice on each setup.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You will also have to get used to less flavored juice. As your taste buds adapt you will enjoy it better. This will affect how hot you vape flavourart loses its flavor if over powered. That is the first diy lesson for that brand.

Edit: As you diy with less flavoring you will begin to taste more.

Last edited:

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I do single coils for battery life and I don't want the hassle of dual coils. Also, I get plenty of flavor from singles.

Referring to what someone else said, the lower ohm you go the higher watts you have to push. The higher ohm the lower watts. There is an online coil builder that gives heat info. Steam coil. Use that with different interior diameters, ohms and watts and see what the heat is.

tatty29

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi ScreamQueen. Ah ok I see. So it's a lot of trial and error. Well I can prob strike out my subtank mini for most then. All my friends mixes Iv tried don't like 0.5ohm 20watts ( which is what I would usherly vape at) and there most of the sorts of flavours I like including coffee, chocolate, fudge and all the things I now want to vape instead of eat.
I may just play with them as stand alone first then and get a feel for each one that way.

Joeyboy I'm not sure what you mean there unless u mean over time I will decrease the amount of flavouring I use in recipes.

I can see this will be a huge learning curve.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What I mean is you get used to overly flavored fluid. You diy for a while then go back to some old stuff you still had. Normally, it is way too strong and tastes bad, most of the time. Mine did. High priced juice may not but most don't buy high priced only.

Diy is like salt on food. As your taste buds adjust you need less but you taste more.

0.5 ohms at 20 watts....I would not think that would be enough power.

tatty29

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Aah right I see what you mean. Maybe I will I'm not sure as Iv been vaping my mates diy juice but I'm not sure what flavouring he uses.

20 watts at 0.5 ohm does me fine for my sub tank and some flavours. Currently got a diy pimms in there and I get good vapour ( or what I like any way) and on this one the flavour is is ok ( although I'm thinking it may be his combination rather than any thing else that makes it not great) Iv had others that have worked ok to. I'm thinking its going to be the more creamy vapes and sweets that I'm going to have to fiddle with watts and ohms as Iv tried his coffee, chocolate and fudge and ewwww they really did not taste good almost burnt I think. So looking back has given me some indication on where to go with at least some things.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
20 watts at 0.5 ohm does me fine for my sub tank and some flavours.

28g kanthal dual coil. Two 1.0 ohm coils. That is basically the same temperature as my 26g 1.2 ohm single coil at 22.5 watts. I can see why that would work with 28g.

Have fun with DIY. Review recipes on here to get an understanding of percentages to start with.

VU Sponsors