Become a Patron!

What’s the difference between MTL and DTL

Shenzhen XTAR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If you want to use your device efficiently and also if you want to know which device you should be using, you need to know and understand inhalation styles, especially the difference between MTL and DTL vaping.
mtlvaping.com-mtl-vape-Mouth-to-lung-vaping-vs-Direct-to-lung-2.jpg

(original pic from mouthtolungvaping.com/)

MTL (Mouth To Lung): take a smooth draw of vapour into your mouth, then inhale to lungs and exhale finally. A “kind of like” cigarette smoking but a slightly longer draw is needed.

It is for smokers, recent tobacco quitters, newbies, plus-ohm device users and people who don’t necessarily see vaping as a freakin’ sport. If you want to get a real sense of the flavour profile and mouth feel, the MTL also fit you. Some others prefer it just because it can be a more economical way of vaping. MTL tanks use less e-liquid than a sub-ohm tank. Many simply have no option due to years of smoking and the state of their lungs.

MTL differs massively from DTL in that you can afford to use a slightly higher nicotine content without making yourself ill. You can use either 3mg or 6mg. If you’re a recent quitter you will likely want to opt for a nicotine strength between 12mg and 20mg. Anyway, if you’re vaping for a nicotine fix, MTL is for you.

Recommended PG/VG Ratios for Mouth To Lung Devices

50PG/50VG – Good throat hit – OK vapour production
60VG/40PG – A smoother vape – Vapour production better
70VG/30PG – Some of the more recent MTL devices vape well with this ratio but double check first!

Nicotine Salt e-Liquids are also a superb (and recommended) option for new vapers

Coil Resistance For MTL Vaping

Higher resistance coil (MTL) = Anything above 1.0 Ohm

Lower resistance coil (DTL / Sub Ohm) = Anything below 1.0 Ohm

For MTL, coils range from 1.0Ohm-2.8Ohm. The most common coils for MTL vaping are 1.5Ohm and 1.8Ohm.

DTL (Direct To Lung): draw slow and steady directly into your lungs 3-5 seconds or more. Once it reaches your lungs exhale those clouds of vapour.

Direct to lung vaping is for lovers of vaping who’ve completely overcome their cigarette craving, it’s for vapers who love the magic of exhaling beautiful, rich clouds and messing around with high powered box mods, sub-ohm tanks and gear.

Recommended PG/VG Ratios for Direct To Lung Devices

The below is a general guideline. A lot of the experiences you have with flavour and vapour production can also depend on the specific e-liquid brand you choose.

60VG/40PG – Very good flavor, decent cloud production and a hint of throat hit.
70VG/30PG – One of the most popular blends for sub-ohm/DTL vapes. Good flavor, plenty of clouds and smooth throat hit.
80VG/20PG – Good flavor, dense clouds and silky smooth throat hit.
90VG/10PG – Good flavor, even denser clouds and smooth on the throat.
100% VG – Pure clouds and super smooth. This is also used by vapers that are sensitive to PG.

What Coil Resistance (Ohms) Should I Use For Direct To Lung / Sub Ohm Vaping?

Sub-ohm coils for DTL / sub-ohm vaping range from 0.1-0.9Ohm. Stock coils that is. The most commonly used is 0.5Ohm.

In addition, your vape tanks airflow is a deciding factor in whether you`re going to be direct inhaling or mouth-to-lung inhaling.

The main difference you will notice between a MTL tank and a DTL tank is the mouthpiece. On the MTL tank, the mouthpiece will be a lot narrower to mimic the act of smoking. Whereas the mouthpiece on the DTL tank will be a lot wider allowing for more vapour to be inhaled.

Hope newbies know more about vaping. Any ideas, please comment below!

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Good article, Xtar! I do both, but usually restricted DL. Like, with my sub tanks, I’ll keep the AF closed pretty tight, and take a slowish draw.

My allergies acted up now and I was coughing this week, so I vaped salts in a Naut Mini on low power. And had some 12mg FB in an AIO. (Aspire K3, it’s a light vape.) Usually I’m 3mg.

lak611

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice tips!

I'd also add that most vapers should use ejuice no higher than 6 mg/ml nicotine for DTL subohm vaping. More nicotine will probably result in a nasty throat hit.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Nice tips!

I'd also add that most vapers should use ejuice no higher than 6 mg/ml nicotine for DTL subohm vaping. More nicotine will probably result in a nasty throat hit.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I agree. I vaped 12mg sub ohm since I was coughing and sneezing all day, and vaping was making it worse. :cry: By vaping a higher mg juice, I was able to get some nic in less draws.

But I did have salts going in another plus ohm setup.

VU Sponsors