Become a Patron!

What’s your everyday carry?

STX

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Hello all you vapers out there. I am looking at getting a carry device and I’m curious about what everyone else uses or would recommend. I was thinking about a single 21700 with an RTA with top airflow so it doesn’t leak too much, obviously a sub tank would be better but I don’t really like stock coils.

I think a dual 18650 is too big, but I am open to one if it is good for carrying. Let me know what you use or what you would recommend or even what you have always wanted to try. Thanks!!!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
A couple of questions:. How long would you be depending on the device? A couple hours? All day? Would most of the time be spent driving? Shopping? Working? In what environment?

I'm usually not terribly picky about the device I take with me, as long as batts are charged and liquid will last through whatever situation it is, and the tank doesn't leak if it leans to the side. But I also carry a purse, so not putting a device in a pocket.

Love the Drag X with Voopoo's RTA pod tank, the DotAIO SE with a DotMobb bridge, and tiny squonkers like the SVA Kimech, Wotofo Ram, Wismec Luxotic BF or MF, eLeaf Pico Squeeze. All very portable and give a great vape experience.

An Og Pico with an RTA like the Wasp Nano would be a nice carry device, too.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Right now I am using the Vandy Vape Pulse AIO- it takes a 18650 ,21700 or 20700 battery- lightweight, I am using the Pulse Vessel boro RBA that came with the kit. There is also a factory coil tank included in the kit but I have never used it, so not sure how great the coils are for that.
I am using a 21700 battery and great battery life, plus the boro tank holds 5mls of liquid. Great kit for the price, I think around $70.00.
I also use the SXK Billet Box- its a clone of the Billet box, mine is a 60DNA and very nice AIO , you have to buy a boro RBA separately , but does come with a tank and adapter for the Nautilus BVC coil, never used that.
I bought the BP Modz Pioneer Insider Boro tank RBA.
The SXK Billet Box is a little heavier, only takes a 18650 battery, but I keep spares with me in a carry case for batteries.
The Dot AIO SE is another favorite of mine- but again only takes a18650 battery. I have the Pioneer Insider for Dot mod RBA-
I like AIO style mods to carry because no glass tanks that can break- pretty easy to use too.

STX

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
A couple of questions:. How long would you be depending on the device? A couple hours? All day? Would most of the time be spent driving? Shopping? Working? In what environment?
These are very valid questions, it is mainly for work and I work in a kitchen so it’s a bit hectic. I can take it out of my pocket and put it on my station but a pocket device is preferred.

All day battery would be nice, but you have to think that I would be working at least half the day, so I wouldn’t be vaping much. I like to keep it in my pocket cause you can sneak a few quick drags in the cooler.

I was actually looking at the lost vape thelema solo. It’s cheap and the quest chipset gets great reviews.

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
That LVT solo is TALL.
Since you have a station to put the setup, you could put 1 or 2 18650's and some juice there also or instead, and put something like Kylin M AIO in pocket.

My wanna be carry,

STX

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
That LVT solo is TALL.
Since you have a station to put the setup, you could put 1 or 2 18650's and some juice there also or instead, and put something like Kylin M AIO in pocket.

My wanna be carry,
Yeah that Rebel mod is super sick, but I won't be buying that. The Kylin M AIO looks pretty cool, almost like a boro box dripper, but at the same time it looks kinda shitty. No offense.

What are mods like the rebel called, where the tank is recessed or integrated so to speak? That would really cut down on size and still provide a very nice vape. Maybe I should just look into some of the rebuildable pod systems.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
The issue at hand is that you only plan on getting 1. My carry needs change so i generally have 2 to 3 mods on me at work.
And lets be honest you are going to end up buying a few more anyways.
Bingo

Boxer has a side by side and there are lots of others that are 'open'.

Rebuildable pod. That's pretty much what that M AIO is, so not all that shitty lol. Small, vapes great flavor, no leaks, no door wabble, I only use the rebuildable pod and with 3id coil. Might start carrying the other pod for ins.

Last edited:

STX

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
The issue at hand is that you only plan on getting 1. My carry needs change so i generally have 2 to 3 mods on me at work.
And lets be honest you are going to end up buying a few more anyways.
Yes you are absolutely correct, but making posts like this helps me learn about different products that are available and get insight from more experienced vapers.

I also get to hassle Vape Fan, who seems to always put up with my ridiculous newbishness by answering all my silly questions and pushing me in the right direction, and I thank Vape Fan and you all for that!!!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Fwiw, the Kylin M AIO is on sale at MyVpro for $29.99, code myvpro10 takes 10% off, so I just ordered one for a smidge under $50 shipped. Includes the rba and stock coils. Seems worth a try to me.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Fwiw, the Kylin M AIO is on sale at MyVpro for $29.99, code myvpro10 takes 10% off, so I just ordered one for a smidge under $50 shipped. Includes the rba and stock coils. Seems worth a try to me.
That's where I got mine, because they were/are the only one with Wormhole. After seeing it and having it I think I'd have ben just as happy or maybe even a bit better, with Moonlight.
That shipping $ is horrendous .
What color did you get?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
That's where I got mine, because they were/are the only one with Wormhole. After seeing it and having it I think I'd have ben just as happy or maybe even a bit better, with Moonlight.
That shipping $ is horrendous .
What color did you get?

I got the (silver & blue) Polar Phantom. I might regret it - saw someone's review yesterday on YT and the front panel of that colorway looks like a huge fingerprint magnet - but no one is going to ever see the thing besides me.

Yeah, I said I wouldn't pay that kind of money for shipping, but when the kit itself was only $27.00 as opposed to twice that anywhere that the shipping was more reasonable, I chose to buy it where I'd get it (hopefully) within a decent amount of time, and I'll know that Customs won't seize it.

I'm just thankful that myVpro is shipping to Virginia now. They weren't for a while. Seems like several of the "old timer" online vape stores are getting their acts together with the new carriers - we just have to pay through the nose to use 'em.

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I got the (silver & blue) Polar Phantom. I might regret it - saw someone's review yesterday on YT and the front panel of that colorway looks like a huge fingerprint magnet - but no one is going to ever see the thing besides me.

Yeah, I said I wouldn't pay that kind of money for shipping, but when the kit itself was only $27.00 as opposed to twice that anywhere that the shipping was more reasonable, I chose to buy it where I'd get it (hopefully) within a decent amount of time, and I'll know that Customs won't seize it.
I like that one, all really, we just all have our favs.
The colorway side IS a fingerprint magnet, and if like I, vape it mostly r/handed - thumb, then the color is against palm. They should have done that different.
I'm in Az and iirr it arrived 5th day from ordering it.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
The colorway side IS a fingerprint magnet, and if like I, vape it mostly r/handed - thumb, then the color is against palm. They should have done that different.

I feel the same way - there isn't a color on offer that I'd turn down. Someone did a good job planning the color combinations. Can't have everything, I guess! :teehee:

Five days in transit would be like a miracle. I'll keep fingers crossed. :)

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

Hey, do you run mesh or wire coils in yours?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Wire, and its great. 3id for me - .5ish
I built it just once w/mesh by cutting a stock one in half, the one w/space in the middle, to get the resistance up. Narrower mesh works for that but cutting that one, not so well.
I run mesh at higher wattage and I don't want to run out of 18650 when I'm out for a few hrs. I have Doom and Doom X here at home and actually vaping gunmetal Doom atm to matchy my new-to-me mod,,,,that someone else I know didn't want :rolleyes::sneaka::giggle:

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Wire, and its great. 3id for me - .5ish
I built it just once w/mesh by cutting a stock one in half, the one w/space in the middle, to get the resistance up. Narrower mesh works for that but cutting that one, not so well.

I'm kinda leaning toward wire, too. Not convinced that steel cables could wick fast enough to keep up with the amount of juice a mesh build would need - and anyway, why do I want to use more juice than is necessary to get a good vape? Just seems wasteful to me.

I might build it with a 4 mm coil, though, if it will fit. 4mm staged maybe, if I can get my hands on some 26 or 28x2/38 fused Clapton wire.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
When I first 3id coiled it, I kinda took a que from SMM, thinking it can probably go lower because it looked high. But hands on, slot led me to keeping it raised, putting it close to metal top.

STX

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
vaping gunmetal Doom atm to matchy my new-to-me mod,,,,that someone else I know didn't want :rolleyes::sneaka::giggle:
Are you talking about the odin mini?

Anyway, damn you Nadalama and Vape Fan cause now I want the Kylin M AIO especially for that price. I have a qbix rba otw for my BB and I want to see how I like that one first before I go with the Kylin.

Secondly, I'm looking at getting the Mechlyfe paramour sbs mod or another sbs mod as that would really cut down on size and I could still get some pretty nice vapor production with an RTA on one.

So many choices!!!

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I don't have it, but I recommend getting the Vaporesso Target 100 mod, which is a single 21700 regulated mod. I don't like to carry an RTA in my pocket if the environment is hectic, as the glass might break. The Vaperz Cloud Saga Mini is a pocket friendly, hard hitting mech mod that uses dual 18650 in series. It's like the Noisy Cricket, but the latter is now hard to find and is limited to 22mm atomizers. Also, the firing mechanism of the Saga Mini is a lot easier to maintain when compared to Noisy Cricket. I own the regular version of the Saga, not the Mini version, in acrylic "Smoked Out" and in black. The acrylic one is easily the most pocket friendly dual 21700 mech mod that I have ever seen. The shape, dimensions and weight actually are perfect.

As for choosing to avoid an RTA for pocketing. I also have the matching Asgard Mini RDA, also in "Smoked Out" and in black (among a few other color finishes, along with enough Ultem Sets to be able to put one on each of them). One thing I especially love about the Asgard Mini (aside from it vapes great, plus the fact it's moderately priced) is the ability to use the "Series Deck for Asgard Mini" that's separately sold and now hard to find. What this does is, it can be used to turn a dual battery series mech into a parallel one as far as Ohm's Law is concerned. E.g., put in a dual coil build that would have given you 0.08 ohms on a normal build deck and watch it give you 0.32 ohms instead, which is good for dual battery series mech if you use the Samsung 30T (21700) or Samsung 20S (18650).

That said, my daily driver is the black ultem Purge Mods Carnage 1.5 RDA on top of the Purge Mods Side Piece Slim Murdered Out upgraded with the pure solid silver firing cup and built to 0.25 ohms (just because I like it that way).

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
ZQ 75C 1x21700, the Vape Trader one. I gave you first dibs but at the time I didn't know the full extent of the type of 'carry' set up your looking for, I just knew they were better than Topside Dual you mentioned. And that or the Mini wouldn't be feasible in your work environment/wanting pocketable.
ZQ. This one is light for it's size, being alum xcept for the ss parts.
ZQ.Doom.jpg

And I agree, at least for me, that an RTA isn't what I'd use due to size and weight. Even w/a SBS, a light plastic one,,,, + RTA it's gonna be heavy. IDK if something like a belt pouch is worth mentioning, but for me, in a pocket > it's going to have to be light and small. I don't even carry M AIO in a pocket but someone could. Just know that it's not alum or plastic [well the door is plastic], it's zinc allow like most are.
M AIO weighs 1/2 lb/8oz w/batt, so does a roll of quarters.

BTW, you need to stop vaping in the cooler :xD: lol

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
@MyMagicMist We won't even mention squonking for EDC. Nope, not gonna do it. :p ;) :D :)

Beat ya to it. Kinda wish I didn't. Not that the Squeezer lock feature doesn't work well, but for all day pocket I'd personally pass on a mech.
[insert Caram lol].

Still a light comfortable hard hitter for what is is, lots of bottles, and cheap. That one is 7oz WITH/21700 AND RDA. The whole 9 yards. Just bring the refill bottle that comes with.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
""We won't even mention squonking for EDC. Nope, not gonna do it. :p ;) :D :)""

Beat ya to it. Kinda wish I didn't. Not that the Squeezer lock feature doesn't work well, but for all day pocket I'd personally pass on a mech [insert Cam lol].

Still a light comfortable hard hitter for what is is, lots of bottles, and cheap. That one is 7oz WITH/21700 and AND RDA. The whole 9 yards. Just bring the refill bottle that comes with.

If someone wants a mech squonker to carry in a pocket, try that dang Wotofo Stentorian Ram. The button on a Ram is NOT going to get pushed by accident in a pocket. I have to fire mine with my thumb joint (right on the side of the bone itself) because I can't push it hard enough otherwise to get it to fire. They can also be had really cheap in a few places, and perform quite well with a small single-coil RSA. It takes some doing to push that button, though, and that's consistent over the four or five units I've bought.

ETA: On second thought, this might not be a good idea. The Ram boxes are all-resin, and they don't take kindly to being dropped. I dropped one of mine a couple of weeks ago, and when it hit a corner of a marble surface on its way down, an entire corner of the mod broke off.

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Smallest regulated 2x16850 I ever seen, and owned for a while:
Eleaf Invoke. Not much bigger than 2 18650's put sbs. Must be alum or something that's really light because it is.
Prob never find a new one.
1659908926680.jpeg1659909101352.jpeg
That's an OBS Engine Nano. Something like Druga would be shorter

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Another small 2x18650 mod of the inexpensive variety. Lightweight alum,
3 1/4" tall w/o topper.
CoilArt DPro 133 parallel "semi" mech. Has protective chip but still supplies voltage based on resistance. 5 click on/off. Comes as a kit but the RDA isn't good for much imo, maybe a diy tester, well is too shallow. Flavor is good, at least the 1 time I tried 1 coil in one. It's available around ik Breazy.com has a gold one for 20.
w/batts / no topper = 7oz

1659912876676.jpeg

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year

Anyway, damn you Nadalama and Vape Fan cause now I want the Kylin M AIO especially for that price. I have a qbix rba otw for my BB and I want to see how I like that one first before I go with the Kylin.

Secondly, I'm looking at getting the Mechlyfe paramour sbs mod or another sbs mod as that would really cut down on size and I could still get some pretty nice vapor production with an RTA on one.

So many choices!!!
Go with a vapefly brunhilde over a mechlyfe, IMHO

I use my 2 drag x plus's cuz they r cheap and small, not much bigger than a 21700 battery, and they charge fast (i use em as a portable battery charger as well) and i dont mind if they break, altho they have both taken plenty of falls.

That being said, their firmware sucks and it is always auto adjusting the wattage even tho i set it not to, so i am replacing them with exactly with what u r getting. It is only about 10 mm taller.

Little less than half an inch

I am not sure whether its better on your batteries to have the draw split between 2 18650 batteries, or all coming from one bigger 21700 battery, but holding it and putting it in certain pockets are easier, and its lighter.

Sometimes the sbs small box shape is better in shape tho too, depends what im wearing.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
The drag plus on the left with the auguse, will be the same size as if u imagine a thelema with the sc classic on top of the drag right next to it (approx, because of the shorter tank)

Thats a cthulhu on the end (same size as a dotmod

Attachments

• 20220807_202949.jpg
    20220807_202949.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Here is a pic compared to the only standard items i could really find. The vape is approx the size of a thelema with a short tank and the lighter is about half the thickness fwiw20220807_211536.jpg

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
but for all day pocket I'd personally pass on a mech.
Eh, this kind of depends for myself. Majority of time, mech is all I carry. Then, I usually got places to store it. At work, my lunch poke holds it until I get break. Out "running" w/ wife I keep it in our Jeep. Once in a bit I do pocket a mech. Do so with a little trepidation, not had anything negative happen, ... yet.

Starting out, would suggest to not be pocketing mechanical mods. Leave that for regulated mods. You'll at least have the safety built in via a chip, ... supposedly.

Ultimately though it is "at own risk". I'm not someone to listen to, just some idiot on the InterWebs.

[vaulting Caram *chuckles*]

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
ZQ 75C 1x21700, the Vape Trader one. I gave you first dibs but at the time I didn't know the full extent of the type of 'carry' set up your looking for, I just knew they were better than Topside Dual you mentioned. And that or the Mini wouldn't be feasible in your work environment/wanting pocketable.
ZQ. This one is light for it's size, being alum xcept for the ss parts.
View attachment 195645

And I agree, at least for me, that an RTA isn't what I'd use due to size and weight. Even w/a SBS, a light plastic one,,,, + RTA it's gonna be heavy. IDK if something like a belt pouch is worth mentioning, but for me, in a pocket > it's going to have to be light and small. I don't even carry M AIO in a pocket but someone could. Just know that it's not alum or plastic [well the door is plastic], it's zinc allow like most are.
M AIO weighs 1/2 lb/8oz w/batt, so does a roll of quarters.

BTW, you need to stop vaping in the cooler :xD: lol

Topside Dual weighs a f'n TON. That would be one of my last choices as a carry mod.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Vaperz Cloud Saga Smoked Out (dual 21700) and Deathwish Modz Unholy V3 (28mm RDA) in copper

saga_smoked_out.jpg

The button sits completely flush with the body of the mod, and, the spring is firm enough that you don't have to worry about accidental presses. As for pocketing a mech; a lot also depends what kind of jeans you wear. lol

8151J8qL-ML.jpg

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Been using the lost vape Grus for quite awhile with various attys. second choice is dovpon topside lite. grus was cheap and takes a beating, lite squonks and converts to a plain reg mod.20220815_094601.jpg

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Been using the lost vape Grus for quite awhile with various attys. second choice is dovpon topside lite. grus was cheap and takes a beating, lite squonks and converts to a plain reg mod.View attachment 195900

I've had trouble with both of my Grus mods and both of my Aegis Max mods. I think with the way the battery caps are designed, I must over-tighten them or something. Over time all four of those mods have become really finicky and don't always make good contact with the batteries. I end up scrounging around for different 21700 batteries to find one that is long enough to make contact (which is almost always a Molicell).

I'm pretty sure it's something I'm doing, else it wouldn't be happening with so many of my mods. These two models are widely used, and I haven't read where anyone else has this same problem. It's frustrating.

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've had trouble with both of my Grus mods and both of my Aegis Max mods. I think with the way the battery caps are designed, I must over-tighten them or something. Over time all four of those mods have become really finicky and don't always make good contact with the batteries. I end up scrounging around for different 21700 batteries to find one that is long enough to make contact (which is almost always a Molicell).

I'm pretty sure it's something I'm doing, else it wouldn't be happening with so many of my mods. These two models are widely used, and I haven't read where anyone else has this same problem. It's frustrating.
I've found that molicells tend to dimple if dropped or over tightened, just snug thee the battery cap, does not need to be super tight..

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I've found that molicells tend to dimple if dropped or over tightened, just snug thee the battery cap, does not need to be super tight..
Im not sure i understand the reason why batteries r made how they r, but i have often thought about breaking off a peice of toothpick or something (preferably platic i suppose) underneath the positive side. (I am aware u were probably referring to the neg side with dimples)

I can understand possible reasons for the gap on batteries, but not why it is constructed so the top can get pushed in slightly and short the battery dead. I havent been able discern any reason for this, other than cost maybe? Especially since i have unbent the tops so they were no longer making contact and gone on to use the batteries further.

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Im not sure i understand the reason why batteries r made how they r, but i have often thought about breaking off a peice of toothpick or something (preferably platic i suppose) underneath the positive side. (I am aware u were probably referring to the neg side with dimples)

I can understand possible reasons for the gap on batteries, but not why it is constructed so the top can get pushed in slightly and short the battery dead. I havent been able discern any reason for this, other than cost maybe? Especially since i have unbent the tops so they were no longer making contact and gone on to use the batteries further.
seems like the metel they use is softer (must be cheaper)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Topside Dual weighs a f'n TON. That would be one of my last choices as a carry mod.

My tank of a brass Coppervape has started leaving the house. Took it up to Parkersburg a few nights ago. Surprised my wife. I asserted a little chauvinistic masculinity.

"I'm buying us supper tonight. Where do you want to go," I wrote her in instant messenger. A minute or two after silence, "There's a Red Lobster up there. We'll go to it, you like it or not. I'm paying and asking you out after all."

We both enjoyed a very lovely supper even if we both ordered medium priced ones. It was a nice change up from all the usual haunts. We didn't rush, she admitted to feeling very relaxed and glad I'd "taken charge". That's something I do rarely. Usually content to let life follow its own course.

Brass mod was totted along in the Jeep. Left it there while we ate, enjoyed a bit of vaping before getting on interstate. At interstate I rolled the window up, set mod aside. Got to Ripley, I enjoyed some more through town. As we left town unto route 33 I again rolled up the window. Got home and could vape at leisure.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I too had wondered this. Some of my Moilly 18650s seem to kaput and I know they're not end of cycle but maybe second recharge.
i have unbent the tops so they were no longer making contact and gone on to use the batteries further.

How you going about getting them un-bent?

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I too had wondered this. Some of my Moilly 18650s seem to kaput and I know they're not end of cycle but maybe second recharge.

How you going about getting them un-bent?
Carefully :)

U cant really 'bend' it back, (well maybe with the right tool, strong but not cunductive, shaped like a dental tool ) but u kind of just wedge stuff in underneath and push or tug or whatever, i used skinny coffe stirrers, and toothpicks, and whatever else i could find lying around cuz it is a PAIN to get in there.

The battery is completely buggered, i admit, and it is completely 'unsafe' to use, and it is a humungous pain to get in there, impossible actually if its completely flattened, but normally its pushed in in the center and the edges are still lifted up, so the only contact is in the center, and it will work if u have nothing else.

i dont understand why there isnt some sort of plastic, or some material, in the center to prevent that.
(Think those little white plastic tables that get put in the middle of a pizza to prevent the center of the box from getting pressed into the cheese)

Afternote-i think the guy who invented that pizza table thing got super rich from it, lol, or thats just an urban myth, not sure

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

None of the batteries we use for vaping are designed to be used in a mod. They all are intented to ONLY be used inside a fully protected battery pack with a protection circuit, but that doesn't also mean they cannot be used in a mod with relative safety if handling them correctly. Instead, it just means that you need to take extra care to get educated about what the "handling them correctly" part factually means. They're not particularly too fragile. You just need to watch out with your spinach if you tend to be like Popeye. 😛

d95.gif

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
No doubt, the reality tho, unless u use a pretty strong metal for the platform (i have heard 40t's are actually good on this), the weight of a 21700 dropped 3 ft onto its positive side with a pin pushing in the center, its gonna get u every time.

If u wanted a standard process on how to dimple the positive side, stick a 21700 in an aegis max and drop it upside down to the floor, lol

P.s. moli's and hohmtech's claim to be for vaping...it is something they should consider when they consider better battery safety (if im not mistanken, couldnt that cause a battery to short and vent if the wrong part touches the wrong part of the battery? Or will it always just go dead?

Finally I think someone has explained to me why I have such a godawful time with these two Aegis Max mods. Not that I'm dropping them upside down, but I think the design of the battery cap allows overtightening, which probably causes the dimpling you're talking about, and the more time passes, the worse it gets. I've made the problem worse by trying to tighten the cap enough to get the f'n mod to come on. No, I have not played like Hercules, but I do admit to having tightened the caps down more than should have been necessary, trying to get the mods to turn on.

LV Grus mods are the same. Same battery cap design, same problem. I can hardly find a 2x700 that will work in any of these four mods now (two Aegis Max, two LV Grus). At least the Grus will show you (by activating the screen) when it's made contact, whereas the Aegis will not.

When I took the battery out of one of the Aegis Max mods and looked down in there at the contact point, it's obvious what's been happening.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
No doubt, the reality tho, unless u use a pretty strong metal for the platform (i have heard 40t's are actually good on this), the weight of a 21700 dropped 3 ft onto its positive side with a pin pushing in the center, its gonna get u every time.

If u wanted a standard process on how to dimple the positive side, stick a 21700 in an aegis max and drop it upside down to the floor, lol

P.s. moli's and hohmtech's claim to be for vaping...it is something they should consider when they consider better battery safety (if im not mistanken, couldnt that cause a battery to short and vent if the wrong part touches the wrong part of the battery? Or will it always just go dead?
Speaking of reality... the reality is that there's a reason why protected battery packs don't have any pins pushing in the center of any cells. If you put a cell in something that does have, then it's your own responsibility to take extra care not to drop it. That's just because it's your own responsibility not to drop any bare cell on a hard floor REGARDLESS of whether a pin is pushing in the center of the cell. So, if a cell gets dented because you're the one who caused it to get dented, then if it short circuits internally after that, the person who set off the beautiful fireworks is you. Simple plain.

Yes, Molicel (E-One Moli Energy Corp.) targets vapers with their marketing campaigns, but their round cells don't have anything in them that makes them inherently safer for vaping than round cells from Sony/Murata, LG, Samsung or Panasonic/Sanyo. The latter manufacturers are commonly referred to as the Big Four. Even though E-One Moli Energy Corp. is not among the Big Four, they use the same, or similar very high quality standards when it comes to reliability and built-in safety checks of the manufacturing process. Some of Chinese manufacturers use similar standards also, but not all of them do. As a result, China manufactured cells can be a hit or miss, or at least it is more difficult and/or is more time consuming to figure out which Chinese manufacturers are good.

As for Hohm Tech, they are a rewrap company just like any other rewrap company that prints nice colors, a nice logo and some useless numbers with a bit of marketing text on a wrap that they use to make money from people's fantasies related to how good is the actual cell under the wrap. None of these cells are manufactured by them. They design the wraps, and, they let some cheap Chinese factory deliver the wraps to them so that, next, they can make it look like it's a completely different cell. Which it never is.

The only good thing about rewraps (aside from being the same exact batteries as the respective OEM brands, that is) comes from the fact that OEM branded batteries you want are not always─or might not always be─available everywhere. In essence, vaping on rewraps is still better than smoking, if we can assume that the cells under the wraps are genuine and we can also assume you know the true Continuous Discharge Rating of these cells.

This is why Mooch's battery test results are pretty much indispensible IMO, as even the reputable battery vendors don't always list the true CDR number on their website, so people easily get confused about what reality looks like when it comes to these numbers, ratings and other specs. Worse, the vast majority of vapers don't know the basics of battery safety. They just think the built-in protections of a regulated mod are what makes the batteries safe to use for vaping, which is one of important reasons why mods with external batteries have become such an easy target for the anti-vaping lobbyists─also a hard reality BTW.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors