Become a Patron!

What am I doing wrong? (Very harsh vape) - tried everything

Hey guys, first off im a total noob with vaping, everything I know ive just watched youtube tutorials and tried to follow it.

I have an evic VT with a griffin tank. When I first got the tank, everything was great, the vape was smooth as hell and I loved it. But eventually I noticed that the vape was getting harsh.

I swear I must have run through 20 coils and a half bag of cotton trying to reproduce that first time.

Ive cleaned the tank several times, tried with totally fresh coils, tried experimenting with different thickness of cotton ( tighter and looser) but somehow I keep getting this harsh vape. Its not a dry hit, it doesnt taste BURNT, but more like its really stinging the throat(same feeling as if u drank some liquor), and yes I am using the exact same Eliquid as always.

So my setup is:

eVic VT, 60w(usually running it around 35-40W)
Dual coil claptons (0,6 ohms each, so 0.3 ohm)
100% organic cotton
Eliquid is 3-6 mg nicotine, so not much at all

What ive tried so far:

1) Make sure both coils are glowing evenly
2) Tried different thickness of the cotton
3) Tried unscrewing and rescrewing the coils in different positions, closer/further from the poles
4) Tried fresh coils
5) Tried cleaning the tank several times

Thankful for any suggestions (can post pics if u guys want)

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Based on what you've written, I'd say you are on the verge of a dry hit, the coils aren't getting saturated with enough ejuice so you are getting a toot that is vapor, but lacking some of the thickness of a good vape, or you are taking really long toots at a lower wattage and some juice is spitting back in your throat from improper vaporization (meaning you need to add more power) I have a Griffin also, but I run Alien's in it and vape it around 75-80 watts. My cotton is snug, not tight and sits on the deck.

Thanks for the answer. I wouldnt call it a dry hit, Ive experienced those, and I know exactly what u mean. Its more like there is TOO much flavor in the vape, to the point where it stings ur mouth and throat.However you may be right that I am on the verge of dry hitting... Ive noticed that after just 10 mins of vaping it then checking inside, the cotton is already getting brown

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The tank was designed for large amounts of vapor at higher wattage. To me, if the cotton is getting toasted in the center where it meets the coils, that indicates it needs more juice, Play with the wicking and power (up from 35 to say 50-60 slowly).

With a larger volume of vapor, you can use juice that is not as strongly flavored and still get the flavor you want. A juice that is great in a Kanger Sub-Tank may be overpowering in a properly tuned Griffin or Aromamizer tank due to the increased volume of vapor.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
A juice that is great in a Kanger Sub-Tank may be overpowering in a properly tuned Griffin or Aromamizer tank due to the increased volume of vapor.

Will echo this. I even noticed a difference in taste of juices coming from evod style tanks to rta/rdas. Better quality gear lets flavor come through better. Not sure if that is helpful, merely being an echo of something seen as valid.

Froggie1rw

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Welcome to VU :)

I agree with everything that Zamazam said. When I first got my Griffin I was having the same issue as you. Turned out to be not enough juice getting up to the coil through the cotton because I was using too much cotton and blocking the juice channels. It's a fine line between too much and not enough cotton. I am using ss430 at .16 ohms with the tcr set at 138 coils so I can run either power or temp cont mode. In power I usually run about 70w and in tc about 50w at 600F. I actually get better flavor and vape in tc mode. I also vape max vg and if wicks just fine. My coils presently have a 2mm id, I will be upping that to 3mm id on my next build though. I hope one of our posts helps. :luck:

hey guys! thank you so much for the helpful answers!
I use mainly 2 juice, one is 50/50, the other is 70vg 30pg, but im having similar issues with both.

I tried rewicking, and made sure the wick is snug, not tight, Also bumped up the wattage to 60, its slightly better but im still feeling this toniclike strong flavor in my throat, stinging me. I decided to add some pictures of my build so maybe you can spot easier what Im doing wrong

http://imgur.com/ogvvBQ4
http://imgur.com/20oHXeg
http://imgur.com/tzFJeag

Thankful for all the help!

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Too much coil and not enough cotton.

Use the bbcode to link when using imgur and the pic will show up in the thread instead of a link.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The coils look like my setup, I agree more cotton, and a trick I use is to snip the tips of the cotton that go in the channels into a thin point making sure that when the cotton gets saturated, it does not choke off the capillary action of the cotton. It's a balancing act. I'd go with 30/70 (PG/VG) or higher in the tank.

This is probably gonna sound dumb, but how do I fit in more cotton? If i put more its too tight to pull it through the coils :/

The amount I had there fit in with a slight resistance

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
This is probably gonna sound dumb, but how do I fit in more cotton? If i put more its too tight to pull it through the coils :/

The amount I had there fit in with a slight resistance

What is the inside diameter of your coils? Going larger will allow for more cotton.

Ohwatafool

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What is the flavor of your juices? If it's in the imgur link I cannot see them at work. There are some flavors that at higher wattage and densities have given me the same type of experience you are having. I've DIYed cinnamon, lemon/lime, and some apple concoctions cause a bad hit on my dripper but are fantastic in my wife's prism.

@roxynoodle So I took one of the premade clapton coils, straightened it out, and made a coil with little bit larger diameter with it, fitted in more cotton.

It seems to have done the trick!! :D Ill post an update later

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@roxynoodle So I took one of the premade clapton coils, straightened it out, and made a coil with little bit larger diameter with it, fitted in more cotton.

3mm id. seems to be the standard. I've made mine a 3.5mm id and that works beautifully.

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

Excellent! Well, let's get you wrapping your own coils then :) Clapton wire is easy to wrap because it's so thick.

Works great! Thank you so much for the help everyone. I probably went through 15 coils trying to get this thing working, I was ready to throw the whole thing out. So really appreciate it!

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Works great! Thank you so much for the help everyone. I probably went through 15 coils trying to get this thing working, I was ready to throw the whole thing out. So really appreciate it!

The right size coil can make all the difference in the world.

VU Sponsors