Become a Patron!

What are you cooking?

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is way more fun than having jam on your bagel and cream cheese. The organic fruit juice based gummy bears contain:

Organic Tapioca Syrup, Organic Cane Sugar, Gelatin, Organic Lemon Juice, Organic Tapioca Starch, Organic Potato Starch, Organic Agar, Organic Sunflower Oil, Citric Acid, Organic Fruit and Vegetable Juice, Organic Turmeric, Organic Orange Oil, Organic Carnauba Wax, Organic Natural Flavor.

Bagels gummies.jpg

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
More OMG organic. I loved these pretzel crisps until I gave them up per my decision to eat only organic as much as possible. Now this brand has introduced organic ones, really organic, no canola, no oil content at all. These are better than saltines when you have a need for saltine crackers, and sturdy for dipping too:

1717644645282.png

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
More OMG organic. I loved these pretzel crisps until I gave them up per my decision to eat only organic as much as possible. Now this brand has introduced organic ones, really organic, no canola, no oil content at all. These are better than saltines when you have a need for saltine crackers, and sturdy for dipping too:

View attachment 215654
I am gonna haveta look for these, I love pretzels and my body requires organic too, thank you for postin these I have never seen them before.

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Homemade Meatless "Italian Sausage" to use in a zucchini lasagna.

OK, so right at this moment my kitchen smells like Italian sausage, and the end product has an appropriate texture. It tastes OK, but it isn't quite right, I'll need to consider changes to the seasonings to try to come up with something closer.

This recipe was derived by combining multiple sources.

• 1 cup cooked + cooled quinoa (see notes for cooking instructions)
  • 1 15-ounce can pinto beans (rinsed and dried // or sub black beans)
  • 2 heaping cups thinly sliced cremini or button mushrooms
  • 2/3 cup raw pecans (or sub other nut such as walnuts, or seed such as sunflower seeds)
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (or 1/2 tsp dried oregano and 1/2 teaspoon basil)
  • 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds (1/2 tsp ground fennel)
  • ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (adjust up or down for your spice preference)
  • ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ¼ teaspoon paprika (smoked or regular)
  • Oil for cooking (optional)

• Cook quinoa and set aside to cool
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and spread the rinsed and dried canned beans onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake beans for ~10 minutes. They should appear dry and cracked open (when cooked this way, they do not become mushy in the sausage mix). Set aside to cool.
  • In the meantime, heat a medium to large cast-iron or metal skillet over medium/medium-low heat. Once hot, add the sliced mushrooms and oil cook on medium/medium-high for about 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently or until they’re browned own to half their original size. Set aside.
  • To a food processor, add quinoa and pecans and blitz/pulse into a loose meal (some texture is good — you don’t want a powder).
  • Next, add cooked beans, cooked mushrooms, and seasonings. Pulse a few times to combine (some texture is good — you’re not going for a purée).
  • Spread mixture on parchment lined baking sheet and cook for 25 minutes at 375, stirring once midway through

This resulted in something that looks very much like cooked crumbled Italian sausage, but as I indicated, there is something missing, a certain je ne sais quoi that I will need to try to figure out for next time.

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Zucchini Lasagna

Slice zuc into strips, a mandolin is easiest but whatever method you use try to make sure the strips are even thickness. Also, probably keep them thicker than what you think they should be.
Lightly salt the zuc and lay on top of paper towels, cover with another layer of paper towels. The salt helps draw out the water.
Roast the zucchini strips in the oven to dry them out more, about 10 minutes at 350.

From here make your layers like you would with regular lasagna except use the zuc strips in place of the lasagna sheets. I made this more or less traditional. So ricotta, fresh parmesan, mozzarella, parsley, egg for the cheese mixture. Then mixed sauce with the Italian pseudo-sausage from the above recipe.

Then, meat sauce (just enough top make a thin layer in the bottom of the baking dish), zuc slices, cheese mixture, meat sauce, repeat two more times, finish with a final layer of zuc slices covered by remaining sauce. Bake 45 minutes at 375, keep uncovered to help prevent it from becoming watery. I laid mozzarella slices on top for the final 15 minutes.

Turned out pretty good, but a tad salty. Maybe eliminate salt from anything in the recipe since the zuc gets salted and the mozz was salty. Or maybe don't salt the zuc? It might not need that step if it is being roasted to remove moisture.

Either way, I liked this, and will use zucchini in place of pasta again, probably try other vegetables in the lasagna. Spinach and roasted peppers sounds good for next time.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Homemade Meatless "Italian Sausage" to use in a zucchini lasagna.

OK, so right at this moment my kitchen smells like Italian sausage, and the end product has an appropriate texture. It tastes OK, but it isn't quite right, I'll need to consider changes to the seasonings to try to come up with something closer.

This recipe was derived by combining multiple sources.

• 1 cup cooked + cooled quinoa (see notes for cooking instructions)
  • 1 15-ounce can pinto beans (rinsed and dried // or sub black beans)
  • 2 heaping cups thinly sliced cremini or button mushrooms
  • 2/3 cup raw pecans (or sub other nut such as walnuts, or seed such as sunflower seeds)
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (or 1/2 tsp dried oregano and 1/2 teaspoon basil)
  • 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds (1/2 tsp ground fennel)
  • ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (adjust up or down for your spice preference)
  • ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ¼ teaspoon paprika (smoked or regular)
  • Oil for cooking (optional)

• Cook quinoa and set aside to cool
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and spread the rinsed and dried canned beans onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake beans for ~10 minutes. They should appear dry and cracked open (when cooked this way, they do not become mushy in the sausage mix). Set aside to cool.
  • In the meantime, heat a medium to large cast-iron or metal skillet over medium/medium-low heat. Once hot, add the sliced mushrooms and oil cook on medium/medium-high for about 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently or until they’re browned own to half their original size. Set aside.
  • To a food processor, add quinoa and pecans and blitz/pulse into a loose meal (some texture is good — you don’t want a powder).
  • Next, add cooked beans, cooked mushrooms, and seasonings. Pulse a few times to combine (some texture is good — you’re not going for a purée).
  • Spread mixture on parchment lined baking sheet and cook for 25 minutes at 375, stirring once midway through

This resulted in something that looks very much like cooked crumbled Italian sausage, but as I indicated, there is something missing, a certain je ne sais quoi that I will need to try to figure out for next time.

I don't know why I'm not getting notifications on this thread.

Anyway, love this effort. Looks like you were a busy guy in the kitchen Sunday. Hope you had lots of leftovers to enjoy.

I don't know what to suggest for that je ne sais quoi. Maybe aniseed or more of the fennel. I haven't tried to make mock sausage, but I like to sprinkle fennel seed on cheese pizza for that sausage-y flavor. Also maybe cannellini beans instead of pinto. I really don't know. Just trying to think of stuff.

A coincidence you used quinoa just at the time I'm hoping for some free time to work out a quinoa taco filling. After having quinoa in a dish with just added veg, peas and stuff, I felt it would be perfect in texture and color to spice up for a taco filling. A year or two ago I posted about trying to wrestle chopped cauliflower into tasting like taco meat, with spices and whatnot, but in the end I feel it didn't work. That cruciferous flavor is too prominent, so people I tried it on were not fooled and would say "mmm, nice way to use cauliflower", or if they didn't like cauliflower, they didn't like the cauli taco filling.

Onward I guess.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
These hot oil recipes sounded interesting:

Sorry about not being able to play the video here

Love watching him pick his chiles, grind his spices in the mortar and pestle, make his brew. Then the picnic on top of the cooler, spreading his completed condiment on the toasted bread. Oooooh, yummmmm.

Thanks for sharing that.

VU Sponsors