Become a Patron!

What are you reading now?

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I wanted to start this thread sooner, but I’m wondering what everyone’s reading in lockdown.

Last month I was reading the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. And the Light series by Marion Zimmer Bradley.

Also, a bunch of Prey and Virgil Flowers novels by John Samdford.

So....let me know. What are you enjoying reading right now?

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm reading the 2018 IBC .....

Which is an essential tool to preserve public health and safety that provides safeguards from hazards associated with the build environment.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Cosmic

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The Lensmen Series by E.E. Smith. Seriously excellent old school science fiction galactic saga.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

Which is an essential tool to preserve public health and safety that provides safeguards from hazards associated with the build environment.

But not something anyone else would read!! Thanks, Manny.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Should email a copy to the white house

Sent from a pile of wood chips

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So, read any good books lately? :teehee:
I don't read many books. But I tend to read a lot online. Researching a hobby or tips and tricks to carving or whatever I may be into at the moment. I just got my wife a subscription to audible and she loves it. I got into a book club some years back but realized I'm not much of a book reader. I used to read a lot a out vaping when I first started at Vu. I lurked for about a year just reading about batteries and builds and thus and that.

I will say Dean Koontz is my favorite author. I just have a problem with reading and stopping. My short term memory lapses sometimes and it's hard to remember what was going on. Wish I could read a book like I watch a movie.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't read many books. But I tend to read a lot online. Researching a hobby or tips and tricks to carving or whatever I may be into at the moment. I just got my wife a subscription to audible and she loves it. I got into a book club some years back but realized I'm not much of a book reader. I used to read a lot a out vaping when I first started at Vu. I lurked for about a year just reading about batteries and builds and thus and that.

I will say Dean Koontz is my favorite author. I just have a problem with reading and stopping. My short term memory lapses sometimes and it's hard to remember what was going on. Wish I could read a book like I watch a movie.

With you doing art (carving), it’s not that surprising. It sounds like you’re thinking visually.

Lately though, I just can’t seem to watch TV. So I’m reading instead. The commercials and everything else just get on my nerves.
But I watch a lot of movies on YT. I know people who upload and premiere flicks with live chat, so I’ve been doing that a lot the last few months.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With you doing art (carving), it’s not that surprising. It sounds like you’re thinking visually.

Lately though, I just can’t seem to watch TV. So I’m reading instead. The commercials and everything else just get on my nerves.
But I watch a lot of movies on YT. I know people who upload and premiere flicks with live chat, so I’ve been doing that a lot the last few months.
As long as you know how to read is important......

I saw a video of a kid in Virginia who is going to school to learn how to read to get a better job.

He's 17 years old.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Should email a copy to the white house

Well they have a population of over 4,000 people in the White House.....

They have 400 kitchen staff, and about 2,000 people at underground levels ....

That's not counting the active duty SWAT and missile command and let's not forget the nuclear ballistic department also under the White House.

That place is like a 20 storage building underground.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Vision of the Anointed by Thomas Sowell.
Arguably, a collection of pieces by Christopher Hitchens
The Peace War by Vernor Vinge

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
The Vision of the Anointed by Thomas Sowell.
Arguably, a collection of pieces by Christopher Hitchens
The Peace War by Vernor Vinge

Thanks, Bob. I appreciate it. Hope the move will be as painless as possible for you. :hug:

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks, Bob. I appreciate it. Hope the move will be as painless as possible for you. :hug:

Moving house after 21 years over 7,000 miles is a pita to be sure. But it's one step at a time, like everything else in life. I'm actually getting a bit excited about reconnecting with my sister and her son. Thanks.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Moving house after 21 years over 7,000 miles is a pita to be sure. But it's one step at a time, like everything else in life. I'm actually getting a bit excited about reconnecting with my sister and her son. Thanks.

This country is very different now, so don’t be surprised. I hope it’s easy to adjust and get set up here. Good luck! :hug:

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Used to read a lot more just don’t get the time I once did, don’t enjoy the stop start element that comes with it now, however reading a good book before they murder it with the film variant, you realise how much they miss out trying to adapt it. It’s the small details only a book can convey and your imagination can do the rest

angels and demons by Dan Brown was such a book for me even down to the casting... my take on the character was very different to the film

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
don’t know if this is just me...often find it interesting what authors decide for names in their books....if you had a lead protagonist in a book what would you all name them?

John ..... (something) is a strong choice for me haha sort of rolls of the tongue when you read it ....so many time you see a name and end up calling them something else because you can’t be arsed to say(in your head) how they’ve written it...does anyone else do this?:teehee:

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Really enjoyed the guvnor biography about Lenny McLean (he played Harry the hatchet in lock stock and two smoking barrels), although really probably just playing himself haha...A proper English bulldog, had a tough upbringing, certainly made him into the man he was (not all that nice if you’re on the wrong side of him) got into trouble with the law, tried to stop but really struggled making ends meet outside of that lifestyle until later years...interesting and didn’t want to put it down.

D67B5E26-6FA5-4E47-BD80-75328CC8762C.jpeg

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I'm reading book 5 of a 6-book series called The Ivy Nash Thrillers by John Mefford.

It's light crime fiction, courtesy of Kindle Unlimited.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Used to read a lot more just don’t get the time I once did, don’t enjoy the stop start element that comes with it now, however reading a good book before they murder it with the film variant, you realise how much they miss out trying to adapt it. It’s the small details only a book can convey and your imagination can do the rest

angels and demons by Dan Brown was such a book for me even down to the casting... my take on the character was very different to the film

I am so glad to hear from you! Thank you, KP. I posted a horrible Hand Check pic but you’ve cheered me up, mate.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Really enjoyed the guvnor biography about Lenny McLean (he played Harry the hatchet in lock stock and two smoking barrels), although really probably just playing himself haha...A proper English bulldog, had a tough upbringing, certainly made him into the man he was (not all that nice if you’re on the wrong side of him) got into trouble with the law, tried to stop but really struggled making ends meet outside of that lifestyle until later years...interesting and didn’t want to put it down.

View attachment 162622

I love Guy Ritchie’s films. And the endings....No!!! Lol

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm reading book 5 of a 6-book series called The Ivy Nash Thrillers by John Mefford.

It's light crime fiction, courtesy of Kindle Unlimited.

Thanks, Nada. I like crime procedurals and mysteries. I’ve been reading John Sandford’s series but I’m running out. I hate finishing a series where I love the character or it was really interesting or whatever. Like going back to everyday life from that world is hard sometimes. I started reading really young, before first grade even, so I’m used to escaping into books. :bookworm::boring:

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
don’t know if this is just me...often find it interesting what authors decide for names in their books....if you had a lead protagonist in a book what would you all name them?

John ..... (something) is a strong choice for me haha sort of rolls of the tongue when you read it ....so many time you see a name and end up calling them something else because you can’t be arsed to say(in your head) how they’ve written it...does anyone else do this?:teehee:

If it's a man, I would name them all Hieronymus. If it's a woman, I would name them all Natalie. If it's a dog, I'd call him, Dog.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
If it's a man, I would name them all Hieronymus. If it's a woman, I would name them all Natalie. If it's a dog, I'd call him, Dog.

Natalie Wood or Natalie Portman? Or just Natalie? Do you like Bosch, Bob? Sorry for interfering. Just curious. Lol

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
But, silly me had not noticed that it shortened to Hiero/Hero. So it was pretty darn clever, imho. :giggle:

Is it hiro or hero..:see that’s the bit I can’t be arsed with lmao

hitchhikers guide to the galaxy ...yeah my worst nightmare for names in a book hahahaha sod reading zaphod beeblebrox over and over again ...just Zaph will do

Last edited:

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Is it hiro or hero..:see that’s the bit I can’t be arsed with lmao

Both or none. Lol Hiro sounds Japanese, anyways. :gaah:

I just watched a film on Netflix about Ted Bundy. What a nutter.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
..what are they saying? or dare I ask? :D

WTAGE.gif

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Both or none. Lol Hiro sounds Japanese, anyways. :gaah:

I just watched a film on Netflix about Ted Bundy. What a nutter.

Have you read Ann Rule's book about him? Creepers!

Dude was in the Pensacola jail I believe when we lived there in 79/80. Don't think anyone had any idea yet what kind of monster he was.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Natalie Wood or Natalie Portman? Or just Natalie? Do you like Bosch, Bob? Sorry for interfering. Just curious. Lol

If I had had a daughter she would have been named either Natalie or Nathalie. Instead, I had a son. I named him John.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Have you read Ann Rule's book about him? Creepers!

Dude was in the Pensacola jail I believe when we lived there in 79/80. Don't think anyone had any idea yet what kind of monster he was.

I haven’t read it, but maybe I will! What I’m watching is a documentary in 4 parts, with him on tape. Plus news footage.

When he murdered those Chi Omega girls in FL, he had escaped and traveled there. I’m so glad he’s dead. I don’t like the death penalty that much, but really for some criminals who are violent like him, what else can be done?

Bundy was so scary because he could act and look normal. Creepy to the max.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
If I had had a daughter she would have been named either Natalie or Nathalie. Instead, I had a son. I named him John.

Nathalie is a nice name. I’m sorry you’re returning to this country when we’re facing Deeming. I don’t know what vaping was like in the Emirates, but this entire country seems angry and mad now.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I haven’t read it, but maybe I will! What I’m watching is a documentary in 4 parts, with him on tape. Plus news footage.

When he murdered those Chi Omega girls in FL, he had escaped and traveled there. I’m so glad he’s dead. I don’t like the death penalty that much, but really for some criminals who are violent like him, what else can be done?

Bundy was so scary because he could act and look normal. Creepy to the max.

Well, in my eyes he's scary beyond that - he liked to do things that are just the most twisted shit you could ever think of. I can't imagine the agony the families of all those girls went through, knowing what he did to their daughters/sisters. But the reason he was able to get away with it was largely because he came across as charming and "normal," and he was also very smart. He was a deviant psychopath, and I too am glad he's not on this earth any more.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, in my eyes he's scary beyond that - he liked to do things that are just the most twisted shit you could ever think of. I can't imagine the agony the families of all those girls went through, knowing what he did to their daughters/sisters. But the reason he was able to get away with it was largely because he came across as charming and "normal," and he was also very smart. He was a deviant psychopath, and I too am glad he's not on this earth any more.

The doc I’m watching didn’t go into what he did to the girls. I’ll have to find something else. The other movie I just watched about him on Netflix was based mostly on him and his girlfriend. I’m not sure how he had a relationship with anyone. But I guess he was acting all the time. I’m at a loss what to say about the girl he dated. Gaah.

I think he was canny and intelligent. It’s hard to put a finger on it. It’s like he’s the poster boy for creepy psychopaths who can act normal.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
"The Invitation" by Rachel Abbott, more crime fiction. I'd find something better if I had the patience.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
"The Invitation" by Rachel Abbott, more crime fiction. I'd find something better if I had the patience.

I know what you mean about patience. I start watching a movie and five minutes in, I’m too antsy to finish watching. :sigh:

VU Sponsors