Become a Patron!

What Brands of Mods Are Most Likely To Explode?

truztno1

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey, so im just wondering. Does anyone know what brand of vapes are most likely to blow up if pushed hard?
Ive tried searching it up, but I cant seem to find any details on the brands that are likely to explode, other than "chinese batteries". But is it only the Chinese batteries? And, arent like 90 percent of vapes made in china?!
I just want to know what brands to watch out for. Any help? Thanks

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
21105766_10154946987696169_4109856317757206387_n.jpg

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
ANY mod battery will vent (explode) if not being operated properly... You need to know your Ohms Law and battery specs. And yes, we do not recommend using any battery from China or that has "fire" in the name.

There is not one particular brand that is known for venting... just uneducated vapers. Using the wrong battery, too low ohm of a coil, battery in pocket, device/battery in a hot car that cause the majority of incidents.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No MOD that I know of has EVER exploded.. Without some kind of OPERATOR error involved. All issues I know of were caused by the USER. Using substandard equipment and materials is the USERS fault not the MANUFACTURER or SELLER.

I also believe CANCER from smoking is the SMOKERS fault and not Big tobacco..... we have know longer than most people have been alive... Smoking is harmful.

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think it's important to note that it's not the mod that vents, it's the batteries. The mod is just an unfortunate casualty. Remember, when batteries vent, it's usually because some idiot decided to put a .1-ohm coil in a mech mod or unregulated box, crank the wattage to 130 and run the build on a 25-amp battery.

So why did the battery vent? Let's find out using our best friend and guardian angel, Ohm's Law.

We know the power and we know the resistance. So now we consult the Ohm's Law chart below.

dcp4.gif

According to the chart, we divide the power (130 watts) by the resistance (0.1 ohms) and then squareroot the quotient to get the current. Here's the math in action.

130 / 0.1 = 1,300
√ 1,300 = ~36.05 amps

So now we find out Mr. Suicidal Moron was pushing 36.05 amps through a battery that's only rated for 25 amps. Guess what happens next.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Batteries seldom actually explode. They do violently vent though spewing 1,000 degree fire.

If you look at the venting vids in many you can actually see either 3 or 4 jets of fire depending on how many legs the positive top of the battery has.
which indicates that the top of the battery has not even blown off.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think it's important to note that it's not the mod that explodes, it's the batteries. The mod is just an unfortunate casualty. Remember, when batteries explode, it's usually because some idiot decided to put a .1-ohm coil in a mech mod or unregulated box, crank the wattage to 130 and run the build on a 25-amp battery.

So why did the battery vent? Let's find out using our best friend and guardian angel, Ohm's Law.

We know the power and we know the resistance. So now we consult the Ohm's Law chart below.

View attachment 90559

According to the chart, we divide the power (130 watts) by the resistance (0.1 ohms) and then squareroot the quotient to get the current. Here's the math in action.

130 / 0.1 = 1,300
√ 1,300 = ~36.05 amps

So now we find out Mr. Suicidal Moron was pushing 36.05 amps through a battery that's only rated for 25 amps. Guess what happens next. KABOOM!!
Batteries don't explode, they vent.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My Smok Alien didn't explode, per se, but it did burst into flames WITH NO USER ERROR INVOLVED.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I think it's important to note that it's not the mod that vents, it's the batteries. The mod is just an unfortunate casualty. Remember, when batteries vent, it's usually because some idiot decided to put a .1-ohm coil in a mech mod or unregulated box, crank the wattage to 130 and run the build on a 25-amp battery.

View attachment 90561

130 / 0.1 = 1,300
√ 1,300 = ~36.05 amps

So now we find out Mr. Suicidal Moron was pushing 36.05 amps through a battery that's only rated for 25 amps. Guess what happens next.
Ok, now don't panic. First things first. ALWAYS buy top grade, brand name batteries. Samsung, Sony, LG. Why? Because these brands keep the top grade batteries for their own label and the spec sheets are accurate. IE, a 20A battery is listed at 20A, Not 35A. So if you see a 35A battery.. avoid it. It's a mis-labeled re-branded battery.

As others have said, usually, mods don't go boom, the exception is something you check before you purchase.. make sure the mod has vent holes.

3rdly, KNOW your batteries. Know the specs, know the brand, know the limits, know what to do if the battery does start to vent. Know how long you can fire your mod for. CDR is constant discharge rate. Basically, on a 20A 18650 3000mah battery, you can fire a 0.22ohm coil until the battery drains. (take my word or do the math, both the same) and it will not go boom. This is what we consider our "safest" zone. Now of course, you have watched youtube and see people using builds of 0.15 to 0.08, Keep in mind, these are EXPERT vapers. Also keep in mind mechanical mods are an advanced vaping device, and not recommended for any new user. To be honest, with the variety of regulated mods available, there is never a need to use a mech.

Now that being said.. No regulated mod is worse than others. As stated, it comes down to mis-use, mis-treatment or user error when dealing with batteries. The main thing you need to watch with regulated mods, and with any mod, is that your battery wrapper is not torn. A torn wrapper can bypass all the safety circuits and hard short the battery. Example.. safety circuits begin at the negative pole of the mod, which under normal use, connects at the negative pole of the battery. But.. what if there is a tear in the wrapper near the top of the battery? You bypass the - safety terminal and arc from the outer casing to the positive tip and .. heat.. fizzle...BOOOM. This applies to all mods and all batteries.

I think what we are all saying is... your mod should be ok, but be very choosy and careful and fussy about your batteries. (A battery skin to rewrap a torn skin costs about 12 cents. Buy a few, keep them on hand)

Also, keep in mind, nobody here will tell you to do something dangerous. If we tell you flat out..DO NOT DO THIS... don't get upset, it's good advice. lol.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
My Smok Alien didn't explode, per se, but it did burst into flames WITH NO USER ERROR INVOLVED.
I've seen one instance of this happening. We figure it was either damaged battery wrap or broken wire arcing and creating a short. 1 could be user error for not inspecting battery, 2 likely just a manufacturer defect or cold solder on the mods wiring.

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Hey, so im just wondering. Does anyone know what brand of vapes are most likely to blow up if pushed hard?
Ive tried searching it up, but I cant seem to find any details on the brands that are likely to explode, other than "chinese batteries". But is it only the Chinese batteries? And, arent like 90 percent of vapes made in china?!
I just want to know what brands to watch out for. Any help? Thanks
Comments here notwithstanding, a battery can explode, if you define explosion as blowing the atomizer into a persons face or impaling the atomizer into the ceiling as I've read a number of news articles about and seen the pictures of ruptured battery housings. Or if you use Websters definition of "a sudden violent release of energy", yes Virginia, a battery can explode. Usually not associated with any one brand but typically associates with mechanical mods and user error or perhaps in some cases shorts. It's a rare occurrence, but some of the ones I've read about weren't simple "venting".
Battery venting and fires are another matter, and in many cases occur during charging, that's why I charge in my garage on a steel toolbox, and i use a separate charger, though I used to charge my isticks with the built in charger for years on the bathroom porcelain countertop), and NEVER charge overnight.

Ecig Explosions and Ventings:
Note, some of these incidents are violent ventings, fires, and some appear to be outright explosions where the battery casing ruptured and/or ruptured the mod and/or blew off the atomizer:
http://ecigone.com/featured/e-cigarette-explosions-comprehensive-list/)

https://info-electronic-cigarette.com/e-cigarette-explosions-an-in-depth-investigation/ (pictures of ruptured battery cells and ruptured mod housings, that's an explosion folks)

http://lipsiglawyers.com/how-many-e-cigarettes-have-really-exploded/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/26285...losing-seven-teeth-when-e-cigarette-exploded/ (Don’t think this guy would say his mod “vented”)

And my favorite proof of a lithium ion battery exploding, with a test of an Ultra Fire 18650 being shorted - watch the whole video folks, gets interesting at the end:

How to avoid? @gbalkam gave you some excellent advice (though those "experts" vaping 0.08 ohm coils on mechanical mods might just make headlines some day). If you choose the right battery for your mod, make sure your mod is in good condition, and don't push the limits in power or coils, you will be fine. :)

Last edited:

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I have an external charger and use a charging bag.
I charge them in the garage away from anything flammable.

hellcatrydr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Says the troll :D Hee hee hee

Well geez wotta buncha party poopers you guys are! Everybody's all safety this an' careful thaat.
willy_nilly.gif
... like a buncha moms!:blah:

Can't we just let one member weld his keys to his dink without you guys interfering for a change? :)
My little brother learned by sticking a penny in a socket. :eek: (Little brothers are great for that stuff)

I still say the most fun way to learn what a battery can do is to toss one into a bowl of those shiny Halloween candies. :bomb:
I love the smell of roasted Mounds bars in teh morning... :rolleyes:

#TrollsNeedLoveToo

Last edited:

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
:eek:
Well geez wotta buncha party poopers you guys are! Everybody's all safety this an' careful thaat.
willy_nilly.gif

Why can't we just let one member weld his keys to his dink? :) My little brother learned by sticking a penny in a socket. :eek:
(Little brothers are fun for that stuff)

I still say the most fun way to learn what a battery can do is to toss one into a bowl of those shiny Halloween candies. :bomb:
I love the smell of roasted Mounds bars in teh morning! :rolleyes:

#TrollsNeedLoveToo

Ahaha a worthy first read of the morning for me! :D

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Using the wrong battery, too low ohm of a coil, battery in pocket, device/battery in a hot car that cause the majority of incidents.

I'll also add that dropping a metallic battery cover on a mildly dirty concrete floor & then attempting to place that cover back into the mod after battery inserted can cause vents. Although, I also think the battery being an Efest battery may have played the part of being a vector. It was a two year old battery too, ergo just may have been all due course it got extremely hot on me.

In summary, like with much in life the "poop happens" rule comes into play. I know that perhaps I'm no saint of battery safety, yet I do take such very seriously and do make diligent efforts to be as safe as I can. Still, "poop happens".

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Basically, on a 20A 18650 3000mah battery, you can fire a 0.22ohm coil until the battery drains. (take my word or do the math, both the same) and it will not go boom. This is what we consider our "safest" zone. Now of course, you have watched youtube and see people using builds of 0.15 to 0.08, Keep in mind, these are EXPERT vapers. Also keep in mind mechanical mods are an advanced vaping device, and not recommended for any new user. To be honest, with the variety of regulated mods available, there is never a need to use a mech.

I do not quite consider myself EXPERT of anything. :) Though I will admit to having a good "working knowledge & awareness" about a great deal of subjects, vaping & using mechanical mods included. I do meh, okay at it.

Do agree that around 0.20 (R) oHms coil build, be that single coil or net resistance of the whole build eight to twelve coils ... is a good safe area. I usually attempt staying right around there. My wife rather I stay around 0.30(R) but will let me dip to the 0.20(R).

Well, I can appreciate your opinion regarding regulated mods over mechs. I may disagree but only as a matter of preference, subjectivity. I like using RDAs but do not desire to continually deal with dripping. Ergo, I squonk. There are no currently available regulated mods for squonking within the $50 USD or less price.

The only exception to that might be a Pico squeeze but I think it only uses a mosfet like the Kanger version 1 Dripbox. Those I do not consider 'full on' regulated. To me full on regulated means it has a chipboard and hi fangled circuitry. Besides not being under that price point, if the electronics fail in a regulated mod, unless you've a bit of education in electronics you may be left with a useless 'brick'.

So in my opinion, and that's all it is, I prefer using a mechanical over a regulated mod and see doing so having value & merit. :) I still do respect your opinion though. Also agree that mechs ought not be shoved upon newbie vapers. Let them gradually come to them if they so desire, no need to disparage regulated or mechs. Both routes follow the same path. :)

For the OP and original question, ...

It is not about any specific brand exploding more so over other specific brands not exploding. The point is to acquaint yourself with some basic understanding of the process you're using in vaping, then, applying good sound common sense to avoid risks. Barring that well, you can be one of vaping's crash test dummies and go blow up any brand mod or battery you desire. If that seems harsh consider that it is what it is. I still will continue vaping rather than smoking.

Last edited:

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
willy_nilly.gif

Can't we just let one member weld his keys to his dink without you guys interfering for a change? :)
My little brother learned by sticking a penny in a socket. :eek: (Little brothers are great for that stuff)

I love the smell of roasted Mounds bars in teh morning... :rolleyes:

#TrollsNeedLoveToo

Carlin would say it culls the weak. Those who try to swallow marbles don't grow up to have kids of their own. :devil:

Heh, that guy was dark, but funny and so completely true. :D

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I do not quite consider myself EXPERT of anything. :) Though I will admit to having a good "working knowledge & awareness" about a great deal of subjects, vaping & using mechanical mods included. I do meh, okay at it.

Do agree that around 0.20 (R) oHms coil build, be that single coil or net resistance of the whole build eight to twelve coils ... is a good safe area. I usually attempt staying right around there. My wife rather I stay around 0.30(R) but will let me dip to the 0.20(R).

Well, I can appreciate your opinion regarding regulated mods over mechs. I may disagree but only as a matter of preference, subjectivity. I like using RDAs but do not desire to continually deal with dripping. Ergo, I squonk. There are no currently available regulated mods for squonking within the $50 USD or less price.

The only exception to that might be a Pico squeeze but I think it only uses a mosfet like the Kanger version 1 Dripbox. Those I do not consider 'full on' regulated. To me full on regulated means it has a chipboard and hi fangled circuitry. Besides not being under that price point, if the electronics fail in a regulated mod, unless you've a bit of education in electronics you may be left with a useless 'brick'.

So in my opinion, and that's all it is, I prefer using a mechanical over a regulated mod and see doing so having value & merit. :) I still do respect your opinion though. Also agree that mechs ought not be shoved upon newbie vapers. Let them gradually come to them if they so desire, no need to disparage regulated or mechs. Both routes follow the same path. :)

For the OP and original question, ...

It is not about any specific brand exploding more so over other specific brands not exploding. The point is to acquaint yourself with some basic understanding of the process you're using in vaping, then, applying good sound common sense to avoid risks. Barring that well, you can be one of vaping's crash test dummies and go blow up any brand mod or battery you desire. If that seems harsh consider that it is what it is. I still will continue vaping rather than smoking.
I agree.. I will say i am advanced, but not an expert, as I am constantly still learning. Now, you might consider an RDTA such as Ijoy Combo rdta. No dripping, no squonking, is is basically... an RDA with a tank on the bottom that the wick dangles into. In fact, if you looked at it top down, i doubt you could tell it from any other rda. Notice the "small fill slot" in the base, img 91013, that is where you fill the 4ml tank.WIN_20170905_022254.JPG WIN_20170905_022353.JPG WIN_20170905_022419.JPG WIN_20170905_022425.JPG WIN_20170905_022438.JPG WIN_20170905_022450.JPG

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Comments here notwithstanding, a battery can explode, if you define explosion as blowing the atomizer into a persons face or impaling the atomizer into the ceiling as I've read a number of news articles about and seen the pictures of ruptured battery housings. Or if you use Websters definition of "a sudden violent release of energy", yes Virginia, a battery can explode. Usually not associated with any one brand but typically associates with mechanical mods and user error or perhaps in some cases shorts. It's a rare occurrence, but some of the ones I've read about weren't simple "venting".
Battery venting and fires are another matter, and in many cases occur during charging, that's why I charge in my garage on a steel toolbox, and i use a separate charger, though I used to charge my isticks with the built in charger for years on the bathroom porcelain countertop), and NEVER charge overnight.

Ecig Explosions and Ventings:
Note, some of these incidents are violent ventings, fires, and some appear to be outright explosions where the battery casing ruptured and/or ruptured the mod and/or blew off the atomizer:
http://ecigone.com/featured/e-cigarette-explosions-comprehensive-list/)

https://info-electronic-cigarette.com/e-cigarette-explosions-an-in-depth-investigation/ (pictures of ruptured battery cells and ruptured mod housings, that's an explosion folks)

http://lipsiglawyers.com/how-many-e-cigarettes-have-really-exploded/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/26285...losing-seven-teeth-when-e-cigarette-exploded/ (Don’t think this guy would say his mod “vented”)

And my favorite proof of a lithium ion battery exploding, with a test of an Ultra Fire 18650 being shorted - watch the whole video folks, gets interesting at the end:

How to avoid? @gbalkam gave you some excellent advice (though those "experts" vaping 0.08 ohm coils on mechanical mods might just make headlines some day). If you choose the right battery for your mod, make sure your mod is in good condition, and don't push the limits in power or coils, you will be fine. :)

Totally agree. Im not expert.. I am still learning as new stuff comes along. Even experts more advanced than I am, know that no matter how much you know, or how good you are, there is always Murpheys Law, and even the tiniest spec of wire in the wrong spot could be real bad juju.

Oh by the way.. just to note.. they do not vape at 0.08 ohm. That is only for competitions. Usually only a couple hits on a battery. They carry a dozen with them in rubber wrappers.

By and large, I find you do better with a well built coil than you do at stupid low resistances.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Now, you might consider an RDTA such as Ijoy Combo rdta. No dripping, no squonking, is is basically... an RDA with a tank on the bottom that the wick dangles into.

Nice looking genisis style tank. I've a Limitless classic here, have used a Smok genisis style as well before. I like this kind of RDTA as well as the squonking. Again, I see two routes following the same path. :) For me though there's an allure which squonking holds over using genisis style atties.

Rebuilt a Velocity version 2 clone yesterday. I was aiming to use dual coil twisted 28 awg Kanthal, to attain a 0.25(R) oHm net. I got 0.28, which for me will suffice as it isn't too far off the mark. Also wicked with some rayon this time. Can tell a difference between it and Muji cotton. The cotton has what I can describe as being a damp texture in the vapor, the rayon is very dry in vapor texture. Yes, the wicks are saturated. :)

Not exactly sure though which I prefer, cotton or rayon. Will possibly wind up enjoying the cotton more so. The damp texture in the vapor allowing a bit warmer vape for me. Glad you enjoy genisis style vaping, I do as well but the squonking still has its spell on me. :)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
there is always Murpheys Law, and even the tiniest spec of wire in the wrong spot could be real bad juju.

Agree with this, and it doesn't matter how good anyone is, Murphey always shows up.

By and large, I find you do better with a well built coil than you do at stupid low resistances.

Can agree with this as well despite also enjoying a little relatively safe sub-oHming.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Like the others have already stated, it really depends on how you use your setup. Most mods are safe. Most... If you stick with the top 90% of mods, then you should have no worries. It's the batteries that you need to be concerned about. DO NOT buy batteries from a cheap vendor. Especially on eBay and even Amazon. They are widely known to have many fakes (re-wraps) and why take a chance with blowing a hole in your face to save $1.00 on a battery? I highly recommend either IMRbatteries.com or liionwholesale.com for reliable battery purchases. They're also fairly inexpensive compared to many other sites. My personal favorite is the Samsung 25R battery.

I'll stop now, because I'll just keep going and I gotta get to work.

@MyMagicMist I'm curious - why do you capitalize the "H" in Ohm?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@MyMagicMist I'm curious - why do you capitalize the "H" in Ohm?

Not quite sure aside from seeing it done that way on various sites. Cannot call any exact sites to mind at present, I visit quite a slew at times & many blur together. Think it I do so simply as 'monkey see, monkey do'. Ought it not be capitalized?

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Ohm is actually the name of the dude that discovered the law of resistance - Georg Ohm. Some people may have confused it with milliamp hours, which does capitalize the middle letter - mAh.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Me, I just adhere to the KISS Principle.

I only use regulated mods, LG Batteries, and Xtar chargers.

I keep my gear clean and watch my charger like a freakiing hawk!

I have been vaping for about 6 years now and never a glitch.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Do they have a charger watching app for your smartphone?

No doubt that is to come.

I have my 4 bay charger on the table beside my "Comfy Chair" reference Monty Python where I can see it.

Charger with 4 fully charged batteries goes offline before I go offline so I am more than ready in the AM

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No doubt that is to come.

I have my 4 bay charger on the table beside my "Comfy Chair" reference Monty Python where I can see it.

Charger with 4 fully charged batteries goes offline before I go offline so I am more than ready in the AM
Dang I use a 2 yr old Trustfire TR2 charger at nite while sleeping.
And I use bleached US grown non organic cotton.
I even use V1 diketone infested flavorings!
I do however use good batteries with good wraps and follow ohms law to figure out what is safe.

I think the biggest factor in safe charger operation and long life is a GOOD surge suppressor on the input.

And do not just let the negative sliding contact just snap back up.

VU Sponsors