Become a Patron!

What do I need to begin DIY? Simple guide with links!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I'm not so sure the super-tasters can tell the difference either if the name is not on the bottle. ;)

IMO it depends on the flavors you're using. Mix some FA Cocoa or Coffee Espresso, and the difference is drastic. TFA Cinnamon Red Hots, you can barely notice a difference at all.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IMO it depends on the flavors you're using. Mix some FA Cocoa or Coffee Espresso, and the difference is drastic. TFA Cinnamon Red Hots, you can barely notice a difference at all.

LOL with cinnamon red hots I can taste nothing else for the rest of the day:p

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not a super taster, and the difference is huge! But until you try it you won't know:D

Yeah, that's not gonna happen.

I'm so tired of reading about it in every thread that mentions nic I have a strong compulsion to avoid it like Mormon Missionaries or a Jehovah Witness.:p

That has to come from hype. Especially when Oxidized nic is hyped as something special.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, that's not gonna happen.

I'm so tired of reading about it in every thread that mentions nic I have a strong compulsion to avoid it like Mormon Missionaries or a Jehovah Witness.:p

That has to come from hype. Especially when Oxidized nic is hyped as something special.

That's like saying all apples taste the same. However, vape what makes you happy and keeps you away from smoking!

huston

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also something to consider is the pg/vg consistency. I buy 100% vg at 36mg and dilute to18% 40pg/60vg. Used to do the 50/50 after mixing so i used less materials, and easy to make when you are only using nic, pg, and flavor.

piemasher

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi guys... going to start diy. .. I usually buy 3 MG max vg... would I need to buy PG at all? Should I atleast do 80/20? I'm sure it has been answered elsewhere sorry. What do you recommend for top quality nic/pg/vg? Thanks.

Nobody2

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It would depend mainly on what nicotine base strength you buy and whether the base is PG or VG. I prefer a high VG myself so I just bought nicotine in a VG base. You usually will have to have at least 5% PG because the concentrated flavorings are in a PG base. I have yet to find them in a VG base. They may be out there but are hard to find.

huston

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
my highest pg percentage is 15% since that is what my flavoring is at otherwise pure vg. my lowest pg is 2%

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
It would depend mainly on what nicotine base strength you buy and whether the base is PG or VG. I prefer a high VG myself so I just bought nicotine in a VG base. You usually will have to have at least 5% PG because the concentrated flavorings are in a PG base. I have yet to find them in a VG base. They may be out there but are hard to find.
I've heard they're out there and not very good, and I've heard the same about the alcohol based ones. A lot of max VG use the higher concentrated flavorings just to keep it max, at least.

Nobody2

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've heard they're out there and not very good, and I've heard the same about the alcohol based ones. A lot of max VG use the higher concentrated flavorings just to keep it max, at least.

I have caramel cappuccino from TPA and you only use 1 drop per 10ML.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
SIMPLE GUIDE FOR WHAT YOU NEED AND WHERE TO BEGIN...in DIY

There are way too many opinions on this, but it's really easy and inexpensive to begin.

SUGGESTIONS
  • Don't buy a laboratory worth of supplies.
  • Everyone will offer suggestions, but start with the necessities.
  • Once you've mixed a few dozen mls, then decide what will make the process easier/quicker.
  • Don't let other people's praises convince you that you need what they need.
  • Free Shipping at a certain price point / discounts / sales mean nothing if you don't like/use it.
  • DIY KITS ARE VERY EXPENSIVE FOR WHAT YOU RECEIVE. They're tempting because they're easy, but they often contain supplies you'll never use or quantities that don't fit your needs.
THE ESSENTIAL SUPPLIES
  • Nicotine
  • PG and/or VG (USP Grade)
  • Flavor Concentrates
  • Bottles
  • Syringes/Needles OR Scale (accuracy of 0.01 grams)

*If you're using a nicotine solution over 36 mg / 3.6%, buy a BOX of gloves, and use eye protection.
*Some people use cylinders/flasks to mix, but it's just as easy to mix right into the bottle. If you're worried about spilling, many places sell small funnels.

_________________________________________________________________________________

PRICES - As of 3/7/15

Bull City Vapor - free shipping @ $75

120 ml Nicotine 24mg: $7.74 (Vaperstek Nicotine)
120 ml PG and VG each: $2.50
Concentrated Flavorings: CAP, FA, FW, HAN, INW, & TFA
Needles/syringes/glass and plastic bottles

ecigExpress - free shipping @ $59.99

115 ml Nicotine: 24mg $8.99
120 ml PG and VG each: $5.99
Concentrated Flavorings: CAP, FA, FE, FW, HS, INW, JF, LA, NF, & Sig

Wizard Labs - free shipping @ $65

120 ml Nicotine 24mg: $7.49
120 ml PG and VG each: $3.19
Concentrated Flavorings: CAP, LA, LAN, SM, & TPA

Vapers Tek - free shipping @ $75

120 ml Nicotine 100mg: $20.00
120 ml PG and VG each: $3.75
Concentrated Flavorings: German Flavors, INW, TPA

One Stop DIY Shop - free shipping @ $75

60 ml Nicotine 36mg: $8.50
120 ml PG and VG each: $4.50
Concentrated Flavorings: OSF, OSB, TFA, CAP, DKS, HC, LA, FW, SM, & FA

More comprehensive lists:

Flavor Concentrates HERE
Bottles, flasks, syringes, bulk, etc HERE
Flavor Suppliers Abbreviated List
HERE

Please comment below or message me if you have any questions.

Feel free to post this information elsewhere, but please link back here. Thank you!

I would like to recommend amazon.com be added to the list.
Prices may very from time to time, but overall it can be far cheaper then any of the above sites for supplies like needles, syringes, bottles, and other hardware.
ie, 7.50 for a pack of 100 3ml syringes vs 60 cents each at one of the listed sites. Probably a lifetime supply, and can give them out to friends etc, but it comes out to almost 1/10th the price per syringe.

Kynetic

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
RTS vapes is always a good way to go

Last edited:

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You will need:

nicotine (do NOT go above 100mg as a newcomer)
PG
VG
Flavourings, I recommend Flavour Jungle or Flavour Art
Bottles (LPDE, PET)
3ml and 10ml syringes
3ml droppers
?

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've been tinkering with mixing different e-juices but next month I'm ordering all that I should need to do go full DIY for a good long time (about a year and a half based on an average use of 60 ml a week of nominally 20% PG/80% VG at 5% nic). My initial DIY orders are: 2 - 120 ml of 100 mg/ml nic (PG Base), a gallon (3,785 ml) of VG, and 2 - 120 ml of PG from Heartland Vapes as well as ordering 18 - 30 ml bottles of TFA flavoring, 3 ml syringes, and a 35 mm funnel from OSDIYS. I already have 10 -10 ml syringes and gloves. I have a boat load of empty 30 ml e-juice bottles and a few empty 120 ml bottles that I've cleaned, let dry, and sealed from B&M and on line purchases. I'm guessing that with TFA flavors I will generally be using 10-13% total flavoring (sum of all flavors used) per 30 ml bottle. Any suggestions or something that doesn't look exactly right?

Last edited:

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My only suggestion would be to order much smaller (even sample size) bottles of flavorings until you know what you like. 18 30ml bottles is a huge amount of a flavoring you might not like, or might later find something you like much more! (This said from experience!)

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You have a point... I based my TFA flavor purchases on mixes I have vaped but I have no idea of the source of the flavorings they used.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think it would be more cost effective to find some recipes (lots on this website) and then buy the flavorings to make them (in small bottles in case you don't like the result). I ended up dumping a LOT of flavorings I bought not knowing what to get!

debkdarlin

JustDeb
VU Donator
I've been getting my Nicotine at HeartlandVapes 120 ml. of 100mg is $15.99 or if you just want 48mg., you can get 120 ml. for $9.99 or it's only $44.99 for a liter of 100mg. That;s $5 cheaper than the 48mg. It's excellent nicotine! It comes in a heavy white plastic bottle, so no light can get to it. Their customer service it top notch! They also have flavorings, PG, VG, etc.

I buy my PG & VG from Bulk Apothecary. Even with shipping, they are the cheapest I've found and it's all USP grade. The VG tastes better than what Ive got from several other places. VG is $3.97 a lb. or half liter. I buy the 10lb. gal. for $13.65 with FedEx shipping to me It's less than $27 a gallon.
USP PG is $3.95 for the half liter or $19.95 a gallon. $32 by FedEx or both by FedEx are $47.63.
If you're buying a gallon of each, you may be able to get a better deal at Essential Depot, but last time I checked they were $4 higher. That's just the product with their free shipping deal.

I realize I'm a little late with my input in this thread. I honestly just saw it for the first time. I''ve been in the hospital so much the last year, that I really haven't been able to put my two cents worth in... I hope this helps someone out. Buy your Nic while you can get it and keep it in the freezer. I always have at least 1 extra bottle ahead & I vape 0mg! I have to keep it tho for the rest of the family. I handed my sister a bottle of cappuccino today & she almost flipped because it was only 3mg. instead of 6mg. so I had to add more nic to it. It was made for someone else, but they never came and got it, so she was lucky. It was even pre-steeped.

SandbaggerStew

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Flavor Apprentice offers 4ml bottles of flavors for $1.40. These surprisingly go a long way.
They also offer "Flavor Packs" $8-$15 depending on flavor category (Sweet, Smoke, Custardy, Candy etc.) I really liked these !
This is a good alternative to try new flavors without getting the 15ml bottles, especially if you don't like them (which I certainly did).
Orange Mandarin is brutal-yuck.
Also, save your money and buy 100mg nic. Goes a long way but BE CAREFUL !!! HIGHLY TOXIC !!!

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
WL offers TFA, CAP, and LA 8 ml for $1.49.

Pablo73

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is there one flavor company that is the best. I really don't want to order from more than one. I didn't know if one flavor was best from this company and that flavor best from another. I just want a good caramel and custard 100%vg

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Is there one flavor company that is the best. I really don't want to order from more than one. I didn't know if one flavor was best from this company and that flavor best from another. I just want a good caramel and custard 100%vg
Good question but difficult to answer only because we all have our favorites. However, the choices are much more limited if you're looking for 100% vg. Are you looking for PG free flavors?

mark

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I hear you Pablo, I am having the same problem. There are so many things that I just don't know.

Pablo73

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Good question but difficult to answer only because we all have our favorites. However, the choices are much more limited if you're looking for 100% vg. Are you looking for PG free flavors?
Yes I have to have 100% VG no pg at all. I found out the hard way when my throat closed up after about 3 months of vaping 50/50 juice. Now I can't handle any.

Pablo73

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I know that when asking for the best flavor it is personal preference. I was just fishing for opinions to see if one stuck out.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I like FlavourArt, but they're pg... Finding VG only flavorings is tough. TFA does have a couple? You can find some that are alcohol, though. Where... is the question. Hopefully someone knows.

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nude Nicotine, Nature's Flavors, and Vaping Zone have pretty extensive PG free flavors.

TFA and LA have some that are PG free, but definitely check for specifics.

Here's a list of which vendors sell each brand http://vapingunderground.com/threads/list-of-diy-flavor-flavour-suppliers-vendors.2260/

I can find most everything I need at BullCity, but I haven't had to shop for PG free flavors. and it doesn't look like they have anything designated specifically for non-PG (where-as quite a few places do).

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Whoops...other places to buy PG free...ecigexpress (has Nature's Flavors), High Desert Vapes, and OneStopDIY Shop

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Has anyone tried heating their VG in a glass container in the microwave for about 30 seconds? It made it so much easier to suck up into my syringe! Didn't know if there were any down sides. Still going to let this batch go through my shake-n-steep cyclings.

huston

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
just an FYI one stop diy is down till may 15 since they are moving to colorado
And a big BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to TFA for permanently discontinuing the Flue Cured flavor! it was my base for so many mixes

abrahamfarrar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This forum is awesome and I've learned so much in the past few days. I'm super new to the forum and even the thought of DIY but I really wanna give it a go. My problem is trying to find a blend that the "sugars/sweetener" doesn't gunk up my coils. I tend to like the sweet flavors but cant afford to go through a coil everyday. How do I avoid making so sweat that it clogs up my coils?

Brandontf8o8

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys. Brand new to the forum thabks for all the help.

Got an interest in DIY juice so I find myself here and all over the place trying to figure out where to start.

I see you have listed essential supplies but is there a complete guide to DIY to start off?

Kind of like a DIY101.

Let me know. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The above is really all ya need.

Brandontf8o8

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well I guess the more accurate question is what exactly am I supposed to buy t get started.

I keep reading that PG gives more flavor however VG makes more clouds. And the different recipes I'm looking up give different ratios of the two. Some places say the nicotine in different strengths can have either a VG/PG dilution.

TBH a lot of the sites I'm reading up on all give more or less the same information but don't really explain what exactly someone should get to start off.

I'd like to start off with just a simple mix single flavor and build from there once I get an understanding of what's what.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Everyone has different preferences for how much PG or VG they use in a mix. Some are also more sensitive to one over the other, for example, I use a higher PG ratio in my final mix because I'm more sensitive to VG. In amounts over 25%, I cough a lot and feel like I have a really bad chest cold. Others are the opposite. Those with PG sensitivities can experience tinnitis (or flare ups of), coughing, tight chest. Still, others prefer to chase clouds, so they use a max VG final mix.

I buy nic in PG base. It's thinner than VG, which makes it easier to pour, and, as mentioned, I use a higher PG ratio. Those wanting max VG will usually purchase nic in a VG base.

Regardless of what someone else uses as their base, you would basically/typically mix the flavoring with the same % someone else uses in a recipe.

Brandontf8o8

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the vids mark. :)

So the base to get with you're nic is just personal preference? Rather u want more flavor or vapor? Does that throw off the recipes at all or do u have to calculate that into your let's say 50/50 blend?

Brandontf8o8

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ooohh I get it. When I punch some values into an ejuice calculator it auto adjusts based on the nicotine base (PG/VG) got it.

So I see a lot of people on here praising Vaperstek for the nicotine. Any particular ular brand is a favorite for the PG/VG?

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I use 100 mg/ml Nic with 100% PG so it isn't thick. PG is most common base to flavoring. PG carries flavor better than VG. PG also gives most of throat hit (Nic gives some too). I get my Nic, PG, & VG from Heartlandvapes.com. I usually go for a finished bottle being 20%/80% PG/VG. I also mix Nic at 3.3%.

No matter where you go, take your Vape!

Brandontf8o8

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Overall I'd like to keep most if not all of my purchases from the same place.

Is there any quality grades or something I should be looking for other then just purchasing PG/VG off the internet?

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
USP, Kosher VG, and the highest percentage in purity.
I go to two places. Heartlandvapes and onestopdiy

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Brandontf8o8

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Alright thanks Mark :)

VU Sponsors