Become a Patron!

WHAT DOES STEEPING ELIQUID MEAN

vapingmandycat

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Show Host
Steeping an e liquid simply means allowing your juice to stay in a dark, cool place for a given time period. The main reason people steep an e liquid is to allow time for the aroma to develop and mature, offering a better taste from the actual e liquid. When you get a freshly made juice, you will probably need to steep the e liquid.

The liquid might become a bit darker, but this is normal and does not make the liquid harmful in any way, it’s natural.
While some people are skeptical about steeping, the process actually works for most juices. Juices can be compared to some good wines, they taste better with time!

There are prefrences on how people steep their elquid, Personally you can just let the juice sit for a week or so and it will steep. Others may want to take lids off elquid and place in drawer or a dark place.

The thicker the VG is in your base the longer it may need to steep due to the thickness of the VG.

IF YOU try a flavor you just mixed and it taste pretty good chances are the longer it sets the better all the flavors will blend better. Most times Steeping can be accomplished within two weeks or less. After Two weeks if your flavor is still not up to par with what you expected give it another week.

In most cases if you taste it right away and it is horrible chances are it will not get better with steeping but that is up to you and your taste buds.

VaporJoe

_ the end has arrived _
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Some people say it does nothing, some swear by it. Personally I vape my juice the moment it comes. Not because I don't believe in steeping - im just an impatient prick.

VapingCuban

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm like joe I'm too impatient to wait unless I had plenty of other juice handy. Some people even have it down to a science 9n how to properly steep different blends of juices whether it's mostly pg or vg based, open or unopened cap in dark cool place. I've even been told if you want to speed up the steeping process to nuke it in the microwave. Now that's a bit crazy.

Cessnapix

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I find it is a must for, tobacco's, chocolates and coffee. Fruits are good to go when mixed or the next day or two but still get a bit better. High vg may seem like it takes longer at the beginning but are usually done at the same time. Different brands of concentrates are not the same either. Again taste is subjective. I have not found much difference in the UC department to speed up the process either, and others swear by it. Heat is the worst enemy of nicotine so personally I would be careful with the microwave!

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I think it's just a matter of taste for some . Me, I never steeped my cigarettes !!

vapingmandycat

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Show Host
i dont see the need to steep with fruit, as much as i do with some bakery flavors. Fruits seem to pop out right away but when you get into the complex if making the perfect lets say apple pie , you want the flavors to steep like the vanilla's because they become stronger over time etc.

st_andrew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I live by steeping . I have tried some stuff I hated waited a couple of weeks and loved it. Also with most stuff I air it overnight then steep it.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I thought it meant you over flavored your juice lol...... kidding ..... steeping has its place in certain mixes. I hate waiting. shake and vape :)

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
anyone else toss their bottles in the crockpot for accelerated steeping?
ya I actually have the crock pot rolling now. any custard vape I make with caps I crock pot or mixes with a ton of flavors. tobaccos benefit a lot also. usually it will still take a day or 3 to mix well and combine but takes a lot of time off of mixes that do infact need to be steeped.

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
At any given moment, i've got at least 5-10ml of about twenty or thirty different juices, with a couple of them being giant shampoo bottles (like from Mt Baker, Yaeliq, etc.), and i tend to vape whatever i have the most of, so steeping is gonna happen whether i want it to or not.

Somewhere i actually still have some juices from my first year of vaping, and those are blacker than Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. Though i'm not touching them at this point!

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh come on Jeremy, they got to very aged and good now, like a fine wine...... :eek:

go for it.....

buffaloguy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
At any given moment, i've got at least 5-10ml of about twenty or thirty different juices, with a couple of them being giant shampoo bottles (like from Mt Baker, Yaeliq, etc.), and i tend to vape whatever i have the most of, so steeping is gonna happen whether i want it to or not.

Somewhere i actually still have some juices from my first year of vaping, and those are blacker than Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. Though i'm not touching them at this point!

Why not? If they are tobacco types they are aged like fine wine by now. I have a bottle of one lf my finest tobacco recipes made with TA and some other great stuff that is a year and a half old and gets better still everytime I vape it. There is nothing wrong with it. It may not be as strong in nic level but I dont care much about that anyways.

Vape it up. It might suprise you. Some juice gets absafuckingloutely stellar the more it ages. Then again, some dont and end up like dog farts. Risk vs reward kinda thing.

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
But... but they used to be nearly clear, and now they're like subway sludge. Please don't make me do it!

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Come on Jeremy, be a man!!! DO IT!!! :eek:

KnurledNut

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Show Host
Due to the viscosity of e-liquid mixes, steeping (or more proper, aging), allows for the flavors to meld together, much like a fine liquor or wine. There are many methods of steeping with varying degrees of success.

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I used to use a crock pot, with some shaking every X minutes. I've found something that works a million times better, and takes way less time. After mixing the ingredients, I shake for a few seconds, then run the bottle under hot tap water for 1-2 minutes, still half-shaking it while under the water. Then I throw it in my ultrasonic cleaner for two 3-minute cycles, and it goes from an opaque foggy juice to being crystal clear. Tried to get pics of this on another thread. You can find it in my profile.

Sent from the Otter Box around my Galaxy S4.

VU Sponsors