And calls his color true and calls his color true

Songwriters
Homer Flynn;Hardy Winfred Fox

Last edited:

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hammond, Steinway, Moog.
Not quite thinking the same thing. Less like a synth... ...more like a sample-sequencing type of deal than straight-up emulation/modulation. Sort of like a drum machine, but for electric guitar.

Laurels?
Jeez....
Yeah... ...you know, stagnation. Sometimes, having ways to change-up my thinking helps keep me engaged in my playing. I've been playing guitar for a long time. Long enough that I get stuck in patterns sometimes. Seems to be a given with practice. For weeks at a time, I pretty much shut myself out and play for 4-6 hours a day. It's great for my technique. Gets me looking away from the fretboard more and relying on the tactical feedback to guide my hands. I'm "on" every time I pick up my guitar, even if I'm not feeling it.

But I also start to use my brain less because I don't need to. And that has a tendency to get me sort of locked-in. It's a blessing and a curse. I can kinda just "whatever" things and it all works out. I start forgetting to challenge myself creatively and start driving myself insane with repetition. I try to break away from the cycles but I can't.

Little diversions help change the way I approach the guitar and add new things to my style. Ever been just suck on an idea or passage? Like you just can't figure out how to solve the problem? When you play other instruments, it gives you more ways to look at the problem... ...you see options you wouldn't think of otherwise.

I never want be constantly coming back to to same ideas when I can't figure out what to do. In my playing, I'm addicted to that "Oh, what's this?" moment. I kind of see jamming and writing as an adventure in that way.

RZ I love ya, but damn.

Pick an instrument. Learn it. Play it.
I have! Guitarist born and raised, man! Literally half of my short life has been devoted to it. I intend to play it until my hands don't work anymore. Other things come and go and that's okay. My last ex old me she was leaving me because I was already married... ...to my guitar.

I get what you're saying, but that project would just be something to do for fun. It's fun to dabble in different instruments and production techniques. Keeps the momentum going. It's not like I'm gonna take a break from guitar to do it. If I wanna dabble in something new, I still spend twice as much time with guitar as I do dabbling. All part of the journey that never ends...

I have one US dollar here for whoever can make it through this:
Challenge accepted. Bout 2/3rd's there, now. Some really nice breakways in the second half! I prefer paypal.

Last edited:

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Not quite thinking the same thing. Less like a synth a more like a sample-sequencing type of deal than straight-up emulation/modulation. Sort of like a drum machine, but for electric guitar.

Really? You can't tell the difference? Yer fuckin' with me! It IS HAMMOND, STEINWAY, MOOG.
Do some homework, homie...

Here's some lovely songs from Louisiana:

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Really? You can't tell the difference? Yer fuckin' with me! It IS HAMMOND, STEINWAY, MOOG.
Do some homework, homie...
As far as I know, they're not not the same as what I'm trying to explain. You're talking about electric organs, pianos, and analog synthesizers, right? That's what I think of when I hear those names.

What I'm thinking of is something that literally takes stored-away pre-recorded notes that have been pulled directly from the guitar and feeds them into whatever you want. It's way more simple than a hammond or a moog, which generate sounds that sound like other instruments organically. Unlike with those, I'm not trying to pull the sound of a guitar out of thin air. It's completely sample-based. It wouldn't be a unique instrument that sounds like a guitar. What comes out literally is a guitar.

It's technically not an instrument in itself, nor does it try to emulate an instrument that it isn't. Whatever midi controller used would just be a passthrough. It's just pulling samples of an instrument and playing them back. It doesn't even have to be a keyboard. You could rig guitar samples up to an electronic drum kit, a pad sequencer, or even a regular computer keyboard.

Kind of a similar principle I suppose, but it's more direct.

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
As far as I know, they're not not the same as what I'm trying to explain. You're talking about electric organs, pianos, and analog synthesizers, right? That's what I think of when I hear those names.

What I'm thinking of is something that literally takes stored-away pre-recorded notes that have been pulled directly from the guitar and feeds them into whatever you want. It's way more simple than a hammond or a moog, which generate sounds that sound like other instruments organically. Unlike with those, I'm not trying to pull the sound of a guitar out of thin air. It's completely sample-based. It wouldn't be a unique instrument that sounds like a guitar. What comes out literally is a guitar.

It's technically not an instrument in itself, nor does it try to emulate an instrument that it isn't. Whatever midi controller used would just be a passthrough. It's just pulling samples of an instrument and playing them back. It doesn't even have to be a keyboard. You could rig guitar samples up to an electronic drum kit, a pad sequencer, or even a regular computer keyboard.

It's OTAY RZ.

If you make stuff that you like, cool.
If you make stuff that other folks like, cooler.
If you make stuff that everyone likes, fuckin' kewl!

My point is, do what you like. If the great unwashed massed enjoy it, then you have a small chance of actually making a living as a musician.

Please feel free to listen to the terror that follows!

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

This is actually not only one of my favorites from the newer crop of musicians, but goes down as an all-timer, love the song, lyrics, and sentiment.

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If you play, you'll dig this.

If you don't, then you may dig this.

Either way, it's badass:

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Jazz... not for me... it grabs the back of my neck and squeezes, making me want to spin around and swing. Can not stomach jazz, as close as I can get is The Doors, or maybe Dickie Betts' guitar, but once the Allman's go on those long sojourns, they lose me.

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I would tell you to check out the bass work(badass 5-string fretlass).
BUT, there's so much going on here that ......
.......welll:

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hey there K,
How about something not AS jazziful....
It's awesome. Straight off the El Pee!
Hammond, Guitar, Drums.
Triple your money back guaranteeeeee!!!

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I just can't dude. The funk bass was alright, but the rest, just more jazz doodling to my ears, musical scribbles.

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
K, it's obvious to me that you have had zero training in the musical arts.

....and that's ok. It's not too late.

What instrument do you play?

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
WHAT? Nope. that is NOT Jazz.
Atomic Rooster? Well the song started off with psychadelia, but then devolved into the repetitive variational phrasing so typical of jazz... so jazz-y? Especially the drums. Drummer kicks ass though, still not for me.

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Uriah is okay, but not a big fan. More, from that era, would be early Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, and The Doors. Honestly, I don't like a whole lot of 70s rock, least of all the "biggest" bands, The Stones and Led Zeppelin

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Oh no, you were right the first time. I think. At least if you intended to insult feces.
He he he......
Mr Hanky would not be happy.....
Yanni, or any other milque-toast horse-shitte is just that.

Check out some Crimson:

If you don't dig this, then you're a lost cause....

This here's real playin', boy!

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ahhh, gotcha.
I know where you are now.
LOL, nobody knows where I am, nor where I'll be, not musically, not even me. All of these are actually in my library, I just shuffle and listen.

Oo... up next...

And funny coincidences that happen when you shuffle, after that...

I love when that happens.

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
K,
So, you do not play an instrument. Correct?
Type O is good stuff.
I do not, not well. I can play piano by ear but my fingering is all wrong, and slow and sloppy and I don't have the patience. Same with violin. Just never had the patience, and my parents never had the funds to encourage us to play.

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I do not, not well. I can play piano by ear but my fingering is all wrong, and slow and sloppy and I don't have the patience. Same with violin. Just never had the patience, and my parents never had the funds to encourage us to play.

Well, some of us do have the patience. Some of us here actually play in working bands.

You do have a good ear. Perhaps you should check out some other types of music.

I'll leave you with some of this:

Goodnight, y'all! I'll be back to terrorize you again soon!

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Where's my Robot Zombie?????
I'm alive :p

It's OTAY RZ.
Haha, I'm not mad dude. I still think we were trying to have two different conversations.

If you make stuff that you like, cool.
If you make stuff that other folks like, cooler.
If you make stuff that everyone likes, fuckin' kewl!

My point is, do what you like. If the great unwashed massed enjoy it, then you have a small chance of actually making a living as a musician.
I think you already know where I stand there. I don't really feel a pull to go big. If I had fame, I dunno what I'd do with it. Probably go live in isolation and drop albums from a drone. I just play as an extension of my appreciation for music. If I decide I wanna put something out there and people like it, great. If not, nothing really changes about what I do. Wouldn't either way.

1 time out of 10, I think these guys are pretty catchy. Their early stuff was way too noodley for me, but they seem to be chilling out a bit. Still happy-sappy crap, but significantly less obnoxious happy-sappy crap. And still pretty skillfully done. Little less showing off, little more makey sound nice. Been listening to it a bit more than I'd like to admit.

hashtagvapemail

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Croatian Sensation herself ! Almost went to a master class with her in KY

My favorite part about this video, is that while she's playing, and she's just awsome right, one of the best in the world, some guy is sawing logs the entire time :giggle:

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Yes, you could. ....and many folks do.
Sit down at a REAL Hammond, Rhodes, Hohner D6, or even a Jupiter eight.
Emulation is just that. Fakery.

BTW, I was in a popular Floyd tribute band. The Hammond was digital.....
Sometimes, it works (i'm not slamming it).
Real is always better.

VU Sponsors