Become a Patron!

When Good Mods Go To The Dark Side

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I bought a Smok D-Barrel about six weeks ago. Last night while changing batteries, it would not power up. Within a few seconds, it went from working fine to not at all. I checked:
The batteries, fully charged
Not in Stealth Mode
5 clicks to turn on, nothing
USB cable plugged in with good batteries and w/o batteries
USB to PC for a firmware update, with and without good batteries
Cleaned the battery contacts and 510 pin

I have never seen this happen before. Usually, a mod will act strangely before failing.
Has anyone dealt with Smok on a warranty issue? Is it worth the effort to try and get the mod replaced? I like the mod and would really like it more if it worked like it used to.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I would contact the vendor you bought it from, there is usually a warranty period and maybe they will replace it for you- I heard that Smok is not great with customer service and warranty issues, not that I ever tried, just from what I read.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years

Problems with SMOK Mods and How to Fix Them​

Every vaper dreams of landing their hands on a new SMOK mod. The brand is one of the most popular with regards to mods. Some of their more popular varieties include the SMOK Novo, SMOK Morph 219 and the SMOK Nord.
Despite the excellent engineering, the mods are engineering works and, therefore, susceptible to failing. Knowing what to expect and how to approach each challenge will improve your experience and avoid inconveniences.
In this quick blog, we have a look at some of the common problems associated with SMOK mods and how to fix them.

Not Charging (SMOK Nord and SMOK Novo)

This problem is more common with the Nord and Novo varieties. Try as you might, the mod will just not charge. Most users think the problem is with the device. But this is not the case. The problem is often with the charging cable or the charging port.

How to fix​

Try another cable - To diagnose the source of the issues, you can test another cable. You can also try to blow into the charging port to remove debris and fluff that might prevent the flow of current.
Try another charging location - If the problem persists, you should try another charging location or use rubbing alcohol to clean the charging port. If you decide to use alcohol, make sure the port is completely dry before you insert the cable.

No Hits (SMOK Novo, SMOK Nord)

The Novo and Nord remain the primary culprits. You will often notice this problem after the mod is fully charged and ready to go. Given your building anticipation, it can be a frustrating experience for the device to refuse to fire when you're so close to getting your first draw.

How to fix​

Before you let the frustration get the better of you, there are a few areas you should consider checking.
Dry contact points - Start with the contact points. When filling, a little of the vape juice can drip onto the contacts. It's also possible for the pod to lead onto the contacts, which can prevent the pod from getting recognised.
For the SMOK Nord, if there light around, the firing key glows white when the device recognises the pod. That's a good place to start checking. Check if the contact points at the top and bottom of the pod are dry.
New coil or pod - If drying the contact points doesn’t get the job done, you might want to try a new coil kit or pod to check if that solves the problem.
Why not also read: How long do coils last?

Leaking air holes

Most SMOK tanks have a top-fill design to reduce instances of spilling. But, the conniving juice can still find ways to leak out of the air vents or other openings.

How to fix​

Keep your vape upright - If you vape when holding the mod at an angle, it’s more likely to leak. It gets worse when the mod is on its side. Keep the mod at an upright position at all times. When you’re not using the vape, keep the vents closed.
Check the seals - Loose and worn-out seals and o-rings could be the cause of all this mayhem. Check to make sure the seals, O-rings and glass piece are tightened to seal any spaces.
Increase wattage - If everything checks out, but your vape is still leaking, the flow of the liquid may be too high compared to the rate of vaporisation. A simple trick to counter this is to increase the wattage. Just be careful not to exceed the recommended settings.

New coils have a burnt taste

You need to replace your coils every few weeks. Wasted coils carry a burnt taste that can wreak havoc to your tastebuds.

How to fix​

After replacing the coil, you might notice the burnt taste almost immediately. If that’s the case.
Prime the coils - One of the leading causes of the burnt taste in new coils is inadequate priming. You have to let the coil saturate with vape juice and let it soak for a few minutes. You should take a few dry puffs before firing the device.
High settings - SMOK coils have a recommended wattage. You will often find it printed on the side. The output setting on the mod should match this. Also, taking breaks between vaping can help the coil to catch up and soak up enough e-liquid before you draw.
Defective coils – If nothing seems to be working, then the only logical explanation is that the coil is faulty.

‘No Coil’ error message

SMOK mods have a unique feature designed to prevent firing the device without a coil. You might get the warning even when the coil is attached.

How to fix​

Screwing coil properly – It possible you did not securely screw coil properly. Make sure the coil is tightly in place and attempt firing again.
Poor 510 connection – The 510 connector connects the tank to the mod. If the connection is not established, the device will also not fire. Tightening the tank can help establish the connection. If it doesn’t work, make sure you check the connection for dirt.

Screen won’t turn on

The display screen on your SMOK mod is an essential tool. It displays vital information through the vaping session. Without it, the device might not work properly. There are several issues that could cause the screen to fail.

How to fix​

Stealth mode – If the device is operating in stealth mode, the screen will not light up. You can deactivate this by pressing the firing button three times quickly.
These are some of the challenges you're most likely to face when using a SMOK mod. Luckily all of them have easy fixes that don't take much time. If for some reason, you believe the mod is faulty, you can get in touch directly with SMOK or your supplier for further instructions.

may sound goofy yet happen to me before. yet. { I use only tesla }

ya know how ya screw down the atomizer.. well the little pin at the bottom
sometimes {rarly} yet have had it happen can not make contact ..
give that screw a 1/2 turn down an try again...

am sorry your having troubles.

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I heard that Smok is not great with customer service and warranty issues,
I heard that too.
give that screw a 1/2 turn down an try again
I gave that a try as I hadn't before. It is still a lovely paperweight
My mods never leave my house in hopes they last longer. I am pretty sure I will be in for a hassle, lies, and other issues that come with anything involving a warranty.

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Today I learned what a Smok 6 month warranty is. Only applies to current mods being sold. Smok does not acknowledge making the D-Barrel on their support site. I am SOL!
Lesson learned about buying from the clearance section. It can be risky and I am out $25.

I added Smok to the "Never Buy" list along with Eleaf for the iStick 100 TC that only lasted about 3 months years ago.
Oopsy, I bought an Eleaf iStick Pico S at 70% off to replace that barrel look. Oh well, maybe this one will last longer.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Today I learned what a Smok 6 month warranty is. Only applies to current mods being sold. Smok does not acknowledge making the D-Barrel on their support site. I am SOL!
Lesson learned about buying from the clearance section. It can be risky and I am out $25.

I added Smok to the "Never Buy" list along with Eleaf for the iStick 100 TC that only lasted about 3 months years ago.
Oopsy, I bought an Eleaf iStick Pico S at 70% off to replace that barrel look. Oh well, maybe this one will last longer.
Never a good sign when a manufacturer refuses to back up their own product, and refuses to support their customer base. Sorry to hear that happened to you.

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

if it comes from china it is doubtful there is anything that resembles customer service. exception Hellvape is the only company that replied timely to an e-mail and shipped me a replacement part later that day....

SUKMYVAPOR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Hey I feel ya yrs ago seven 22 just dropped had to have it 90 bucks later is lasted 2 weeks. Don't even think that long. then a nice paper weight. I took Pioneer 4 you off my list yrs ago lol. R.I.P

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I bought a Smok D-Barrel about six weeks ago. Last night while changing batteries, it would not power up. Within a few seconds, it went from working fine to not at all. I checked:
The batteries, fully charged
Not in Stealth Mode
5 clicks to turn on, nothing
USB cable plugged in with good batteries and w/o batteries
USB to PC for a firmware update, with and without good batteries
Cleaned the battery contacts and 510 pin

I have never seen this happen before. Usually, a mod will act strangely before failing.
Has anyone dealt with Smok on a warranty issue? Is it worth the effort to try and get the mod replaced? I like the mod and would really like it more if it worked like it used to.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
If you have not already tried this, get some q-tips and alcohol and clean all the contacts, if that does not work here's a pro tip , put the batteries in and bang it on something solid......

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If the vendor you bought it from won't help, it might be something as simple as a bad solder on one of the battery wires. Build quality went down hill on Smok stuff about 3 years ago.

I periodically receive dead mods, from local shops that find it more expensive to return than write off, and the Bogan once sent me about 20 dead mods, bless his profane heart. I repair them, and find smokers to donate them to. They get the atty and the batts, and I'll supply the mod. Usually, I'm able to get around 80% going. Not with Smok mods though. They usually are down for the count. Most often, it is a dead chip.

Out of 10 Smok Aliens, I got 2 going, and one of those died a week later. The survivor, was a very unique looking mod, All the buttons and trim parts were deliberately mismatched from all the others. They made quite a few colors for that one. lol

Did it take the firmware update, or is it completely cold and dark?

Last edited:

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The D-Barrel, T-Storm, and A-Priv all came out at the same time and were only priced around $40 brand new. That price didn't last long and they were quickly marked down to $20-25 at most places. They were all mods that were just re-shaped into different bodies. I've taken them all apart and they're built similarly to a lot of their older mods. They're newer stuff has been getting better. I have my eyes on the Morph 2.

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
and bang it on something solid......
Haha, that did cross my mind.
If the vendor you bought it from won't help
I did write to the vendor and they did send me a Smok link I hadn't seen before. I may give it a try. On that page the 6 month warranty states "from date of purchase, but when I go to the Smok support site and search for "D-Barrel" it comes up blank. I will email Smok and see what happens.
The D-Barrel works the same with or without the batteries. I think it is a chip issue. I never dropped it (maybe that's what it needs), or used the USB port to charge the batteries.
I don't expect Smok to come though to help me. If all attempts fail, I may open it up. Maybe there is a loose wire.

To help me feel better I also bought a Ultroner GAEA 200W Blue Stabilized Wood Mod, on sale of course. My 7 color RTA has no home yet. The D-Barrel was my only 7 color mod. As you know the matchy-match police are out in force these days.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The D-Barrel, T-Storm, and A-Priv all came out at the same time and were only priced around $40 brand new. That price didn't last long and they were quickly marked down to $20-25 at most places. They were all mods that were just re-shaped into different bodies. I've taken them all apart and they're built similarly to a lot of their older mods. They're newer stuff has been getting better. I have my eyes on the Morph 2.
Yeah, I'm convinced that the D-Barrel, T-Storm and A-Priv were what they did with some leftover chips from like the T-Priv days. Better than tossing them. I've bought 5 D-Barrels and never paid more than 20 bucks. One was 18. The gal I was asking for juice for a while back has a D-Barrel I gave her like 8 months ago and she is not easy on stuff at all and it still works fine.

However, my black and red one did exactly what @FL_David is talking about a couple days ago. I put new batteries in it and it would NOT start fer nuthin. Was fine when I took the batteries out.

I rapped it on my palm a few times and it's been working fine again ever since :D

Don't throw it away man. I bet it starts working again.

I've slowed WAY down on buying, but I'll probably get a Morph 2. I love my og Morph. It was the first one with their new IQ--- family of chips. Smok has improved over the last year and a half or so.

But yeah, the D-Barrel, T-Storm and A-Priv were bargain pieces for the price, so I wouldn't count on them as my only mod.

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I rapped it on my palm a few times and it's been working fine again ever since
I will give that a try too. I wasn't going to buy any more vape gear until the news about vape mail hit. I figure I should stock up now while I can. Even if by chance I get my D-Barrel to work again, Smok is still on my poo-poo list.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Smok will not answer. I tried. They won't stop sending you spam either after you do. I asked.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wouldn't even bother trying to get warranty service from any of the Chinese manufacturers.

If I can't fix it myself, it's a loss.

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I rapped it on my palm a few times and it's been working fine again ever since
That worked for me too. Yay! I have my matchy-matchy mod and RTA back again. Thank you so much!!
I wouldn't even bother trying to get warranty service from any of the Chinese manufacturers.

If I can't fix it myself, it's a loss.
Yeah, I kind of figured that is the case. Much like most tech support, unless it's a router.

Smok has been promoted to my "maybe list" as long as the D-Barrel works at least for a year. Even if I have to bang on it to jump-start it again.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That worked for me too. Yay! I have my matchy-matchy mod and RTA back again. Thank you so much!!

Yeah, I kind of figured that is the case. Much like most tech support, unless it's a router.

Smok has been promoted to my "maybe list" as long as the D-Barrel works at least for a year. Even if I have to bang on it to jump-start it again.
There's a sketchy connection in there somewhere. If mine goes out again, I'll take it apart and try to figure out where it is.

Hype

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its Smok my man !! Here in Canada that name has become laughable at best . Sad but true .

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Not sure if I missed any replies with a fix. Though what follows may have nothing to do with it. It also might and is worth keeping in mind.
A while ago I got a Wismec Tinker 2. For its water proof, dust proof, juice proof etc attributes. It had an issue of the battery door not being flush but I fixed that with some layers of good tape around the base edges.
But later I kept having it shut down and or show the batteries lower than they should be. Mostly it was shut down and not even power on.
I noticed when shaken there was some slight battery rattle noise and when I did this it shut down. Another shake and sometimes it turned on, sometimes it wouldnt until I removed the batteries then replaced them.
I decided to try to stop the movement which was obviously causing them to not be correctly aligned to contact or however one could put it, by places a wrap or two on the battery ends of electrical insulation tape. It took a couple of goes to get the right spot for the tape to both stop the audible movement and keep the contact up uninterrupted so as to get no shutdown and no power up. First stopped the noise but still got shutdown and no power up. Eventually, by moving the place I applied the tape I got it right and have had no problem since. Has been several months now and all good. I just pay attention to the way or alignment that I put them back in.
Its worth a try.
Noticed too that some batteries , brands, the exact same say 18650s can have a smidgeon difference in length and circumference, totally minute, but makes a difference between great contact and not great contact, slight rattle to almost no rattle.
Here's mine with the tape. These are Samsung. But my Sony ones dont shut down at all in the same mod.
20210116_154732(1).jpg

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If mine goes out again, I'll take it apart and try to figure out where it is.
I did have to give my D-Barrel a dope slap shortly after posting here, but it has been playing nice so far. If the slap method no longer works, then I would have to opt for an open box exploratory surgery.
These are Samsung. But my Sony ones dont shut down at all in the same mod.
I have read about doing the tape trick somewhere online. I don't have any battery rattle with any of my brands of batteries. I use Sony and Molicel brands.
Its Smok my man !! Here in Canada that name has become laughable at best
Here too with a lot of people. I was in the opposite camp until my D-Barrel was being mean to me.
I also have a Smok RPM 80 which is my only pod mod. I wanted to see what pod mods are all about. I hate buying coils so I bought the RBA which was cool until it leaked most of the time. Then I tried a 510 adapter in place of the pod. That didn't sit flush and I had to crank up it up 20 more watts to get the same amount of vapor. Those items are going back into the box and will live with the other less liked items even though I really like the color of the body. Pod Mods are on my "never buy list". I wasn't too sure about them in the first place, but the price was low enough for me to give one a try. I'll stick with rebuildables.

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ahhh, so my issue is battery related.
Smok a Chinese Company likes Molicel batteries, a company based in Taiwan since "Taiwan has been governed independently from China since 1949, but Beijing views the island as part of its territory", versus Sony a Japanese multinational conglomerate.
I am just guessing that why my D-Barrel only works without issues with Molicel and not Sony batteries.
The plot thickens.

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ahhh, so my issue is battery related.
Smok a Chinese Company likes Molicel batteries, a company based in Taiwan since "Taiwan has been governed independently from China since 1949, but Beijing views the island as part of its territory", versus Sony a Japanese multinational conglomerate.
I am just guessing that why my D-Barrel only works without issues with Molicel and not Sony batteries.
The plot thickens.
Molicell are top rated... I have a habit of dropping mods and my cat helps.... in some the batts get dented slightly, some mods will not make enough contact and it takes a shake or two to get it started..

hellcatrydr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Problems with SMOK Mods and How to Fix Them​

Every vaper dreams of landing their hands on a new SMOK mod. The brand is one of the most popular with regards to mods. Some of their more popular varieties include the SMOK Novo, SMOK Morph 219 and the SMOK Nord.
Despite the excellent engineering, the mods are engineering works and, therefore, susceptible to failing. Knowing what to expect and how to approach each challenge will improve your experience and avoid inconveniences.
In this quick blog, we have a look at some of the common problems associated with SMOK mods and how to fix them.

Not Charging (SMOK Nord and SMOK Novo)

This problem is more common with the Nord and Novo varieties. Try as you might, the mod will just not charge. Most users think the problem is with the device. But this is not the case. The problem is often with the charging cable or the charging port.

How to fix​

Try another cable - To diagnose the source of the issues, you can test another cable. You can also try to blow into the charging port to remove debris and fluff that might prevent the flow of current.
Try another charging location - If the problem persists, you should try another charging location or use rubbing alcohol to clean the charging port. If you decide to use alcohol, make sure the port is completely dry before you insert the cable.

No Hits (SMOK Novo, SMOK Nord)

The Novo and Nord remain the primary culprits. You will often notice this problem after the mod is fully charged and ready to go. Given your building anticipation, it can be a frustrating experience for the device to refuse to fire when you're so close to getting your first draw.

How to fix​

Before you let the frustration get the better of you, there are a few areas you should consider checking.
Dry contact points - Start with the contact points. When filling, a little of the vape juice can drip onto the contacts. It's also possible for the pod to lead onto the contacts, which can prevent the pod from getting recognised.
For the SMOK Nord, if there light around, the firing key glows white when the device recognises the pod. That's a good place to start checking. Check if the contact points at the top and bottom of the pod are dry.
New coil or pod - If drying the contact points doesn’t get the job done, you might want to try a new coil kit or pod to check if that solves the problem.
Why not also read: How long do coils last?

Leaking air holes

Most SMOK tanks have a top-fill design to reduce instances of spilling. But, the conniving juice can still find ways to leak out of the air vents or other openings.

How to fix​

Keep your vape upright - If you vape when holding the mod at an angle, it’s more likely to leak. It gets worse when the mod is on its side. Keep the mod at an upright position at all times. When you’re not using the vape, keep the vents closed.
Check the seals - Loose and worn-out seals and o-rings could be the cause of all this mayhem. Check to make sure the seals, O-rings and glass piece are tightened to seal any spaces.
Increase wattage - If everything checks out, but your vape is still leaking, the flow of the liquid may be too high compared to the rate of vaporisation. A simple trick to counter this is to increase the wattage. Just be careful not to exceed the recommended settings.

New coils have a burnt taste

You need to replace your coils every few weeks. Wasted coils carry a burnt taste that can wreak havoc to your tastebuds.

How to fix​

After replacing the coil, you might notice the burnt taste almost immediately. If that’s the case.
Prime the coils - One of the leading causes of the burnt taste in new coils is inadequate priming. You have to let the coil saturate with vape juice and let it soak for a few minutes. You should take a few dry puffs before firing the device.
High settings - SMOK coils have a recommended wattage. You will often find it printed on the side. The output setting on the mod should match this. Also, taking breaks between vaping can help the coil to catch up and soak up enough e-liquid before you draw.
Defective coils – If nothing seems to be working, then the only logical explanation is that the coil is faulty.

‘No Coil’ error message

SMOK mods have a unique feature designed to prevent firing the device without a coil. You might get the warning even when the coil is attached.

How to fix​

Screwing coil properly – It possible you did not securely screw coil properly. Make sure the coil is tightly in place and attempt firing again.
Poor 510 connection – The 510 connector connects the tank to the mod. If the connection is not established, the device will also not fire. Tightening the tank can help establish the connection. If it doesn’t work, make sure you check the connection for dirt.

Screen won’t turn on

The display screen on your SMOK mod is an essential tool. It displays vital information through the vaping session. Without it, the device might not work properly. There are several issues that could cause the screen to fail.

How to fix​

Stealth mode – If the device is operating in stealth mode, the screen will not light up. You can deactivate this by pressing the firing button three times quickly.
These are some of the challenges you're most likely to face when using a SMOK mod. Luckily all of them have easy fixes that don't take much time. If for some reason, you believe the mod is faulty, you can get in touch directly with SMOK or your supplier for further instructions.

may sound goofy yet happen to me before. yet. { I use only tesla }

ya know how ya screw down the atomizer.. well the little pin at the bottom
sometimes {rarly} yet have had it happen can not make contact ..
give that screw a 1/2 turn down an try again...
You better hope @Just Frank doesn't find out you're smearing Smok mods.

cmccarthy7128

Member For 3 Years
VU Patreon
Madvapes.com is a smok ( and I believe geekvape as well ) warranty center. I have sent mods to them a few times They will send you a replacement but if they don't have then same model in stock they may ask to substitute. For instance I once sent a Smok A Priv and they and they emailed me and asked if they could substitute a Smok Morph mod. I have never sent a receipt along with a return.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Madvapes.com is a smok ( and I believe geekvape as well ) warranty center.
When I contacted my vendor, they sent me a link to Madvapes.com. I was totally confused as to why they did that. I have bought stuff from Madvapes before long ago which made me more confused. Thank you for clearing that part up.
Molicell are top rated
I had only been using Molicell batteries until I read a misleading review about how good the Sony Murata VTC6 is. Lucky for me I only bought 2. I vape around 40 watts, so I may still be safe using them. It could be that the D-Barrel is protecting me from the lower-rated battery.
Nope, I just tried the Sony's in the mod and they worked right off the bat. I did notice that wiggling the battery door before closing it helps.
So now I would say the battery door can be the issue and giving the mod a dope slap aligns the battery door in its proper place, plus showing it who's the boss.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You better hope @Just Frank doesn't find out you're smearing Smok mods.
Lol 90% of everyone the internet smears Smok it seems like. I just never really have any trouble using their stuff. I refuse to believe "Their QC is so horrible" and , "Their mods don't last", ect ect. I've heard all the sayings the haters parrot. Everything has worked as it should for me. I have lots of their mods and none of them have mysteriously died on me.. Some have taken beatings for years and still work fine.

Their coils are supposed to die quickly and have all kinds of duds. I don't ever seem to get the terrible ones. Their horrible QC department must actually check the ones they know are being sent to me ?. Maybe you just need to know what you're doing.

Is it the best equipment ever? Not really often. I get it because prices on it drop rapidly.. Some of its pretty good though.

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Lol 90% of everyone the internet smears Smok it seems like. I just never really have any trouble using their stuff. I refuse to believe "Their QC is so horrible" and , "Their mods don't last", ect ect. I've heard all the sayings the haters parrot. Everything has worked as it should for me. I have lots of their mods and none of them have mysteriously died on me.. Some have taken beatings for years and still work fine.

Their coils are supposed to die quickly and have all kinds of duds. I don't ever seem to get the terrible ones. Their horrible QC department must actually check the ones they know are being sent to me ?. Maybe you just need to know what you're doing.

Is it the best equipment ever? Not really often. I get it because prices on it drop rapidly.. Some of its pretty good though.
Yeah it is not the worst and I still love my Alien even though the paint fell off and the battery door wore off and sometimes gets ornery and won't turn on.... works fine the next time I pick it up...Now it has been retired to injured reserve and sleeps in its neoprene suit which holds it together... :giggle: :giggle:

minimag03

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've had a couple Smok mods fail. The screen went dead on one, and then other began autofiring. So I haven't had great things to say about them lol

But they have a place in the industry, and have helped a lot of people get off cigs. Plus their pods seem to be better quality than their older mods.

But to the OP: buy a Vaporesso or something else for your next mod. I believe you'll find there are better quality products out there for the same price.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

That's really unusual for eLeaf, in my experience. I have a Pico Resin still in rotation that was one of the first box mods I bought, back in probably 2016. Pico Mega still good and in moderately heavy use for at least the last 2.5 years. iStick 100 TC is still working since I bought it later in 2016, but it has not been used as much as the Pico Resin. Also have an iJust S that just keeps on truckin, have had it a couple of years.

I did get hold of a Pico Squeeze 2 that I just couldn't bear. The button placement on it drove me crazy, and there was something iffy about the metal squonk tubing. I sent it off to a fellow member and friend to see if she could make it behave better. Not sure where that ended up.

I feel a lot better about buying Smok tanks than I do about their mods. Only have one of their mods, and it was a super-cheapy from Breazy a couple Christmases ago. It's in the Vapocalypse box, but I did use it for a while with no issues. Think it's a G80, small single 18650 bare-bones mod that came with a Spirals tank. Loved the Spirals and Spirals Plus tanks back then, but they're a little too restricted for me now. I bought the kit, though, because of the Spirals tank that came with it.

Love the Resa Prince with the Prince RBA installed. My favorite Smok tank.

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
My D-Barrel has been an angel since I discovered a light battery door wiggle will get things working properly again and keep it from going to the dark side.
That's really unusual for eLeaf
That is good to read about your experience as I bought an eLeaf iStick Pico S. It will be my first 21700 battery mod. I have only got it to work once with the 18650 battery sleeve. That's ok, I have a 21700 battery in the mail which I planned on using that size of battery with it. The test run was nice.

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
My D-Barrel has been an angel since I discovered a light battery door wiggle will get things working properly again and keep it from going to the dark side.

That is good to read about your experience as I bought an eLeaf iStick Pico S. It will be my first 21700 battery mod. I have only got it to work once with the 18650 battery sleeve. That's ok, I have a 21700 battery in the mail which I planned on using that size of battery with it. The test run was nice.
The genius of simple work a rounds... :cool: :giggle:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

I bet you will enjoy the Pico S. I have one of those, too. Lots of people around the forum have them. They are sturdy and feel good in the hand. I put a Kennedy 22mm comp RDA on mine, and it works a treat. Seems to really last a long time with a good-quality 21700.

I have a Drag 2 with a battery door rattle. Doesn't affect the operation of the mod, but makes me batshit crazy. I took the end of the battery ribbon, folded it over once, and tucked a tiny edge of it between the door and the mod housing, and voila! No more rattle. Just a small PITA to do that every time I open the battery door.

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The genius of simple work a rounds
Yeppers.
I am glad I posted my problem here first, you and all of the other pasters helped me work through it to a happy ending. Thank you, everyone!
last a long time with a good-quality 21700.
I bought a Molicell 21700 P42A. I only got one for now as I have a few 18650 mods to use while it's charging.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Yeppers.
I am glad I posted my problem here first, you and all of the other pasters helped me work through it to a happy ending. Thank you, everyone!

I bought a Molicell 21700 P42A. I only got one for now as I have a few 18650 mods to use while it's charging.

That Molicell, you can't get much better. Good choice.

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
mods to use while it's charging
In case anyone is wondering. Yes, I do charge my batteries in a stand-alone battery charger. I like the USB types as I could still use them during a power outage using a power bank.
I learned long ago not to charge via the USB port on mods with removable batteries unless that is the only option.

Once while bicycling on a single-track trail deep into a Florida jungle/forest I noticed I forgot to charge my Aspire Glint. I came upon a communication pole with a somewhat hidden USB port. I plugged my mod into charge, drank some water, and watch deer frolicking in the filtered sunlight with a far off rainbow in sight.

Then I woke up.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
personally.....
am getting ready to get your addy..
an make a deal we BOTH sign up for all da free mod contests.
could Improve your odds
to stop da suffering..

Last edited:

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well, the D-Barrel is fighting hard not to work this time. Right before I opened the battery door I noticed on the display showing the battery levels, 1 side was empty and the other 1 was mostly full.
Being close to the vape mail ban I am not sure if I have enough time for the mod to have a safe round trip. I replaced the D-Barrel mod with a rainbow IJOY Captain 2 mod traveling from Los Angeles, CA the last time I checked. I have 3 other orders still in China that failed to ship before the CNY.
Hopefully, the other mods I use last a lot longer.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Madvapes.com is a smok ( and I believe geekvape as well ) warranty center.

Yes, Madvapes does warranties for Smok. They're also the lead U.S. Smok distributor. They're part of a big N.C. vaping conglomerate, Mad Cat Vapes, Vaping Mall USA, Mad Vapes. They all seem located in the same retail plaza, seem to share stock.

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Had I paid the regular price for the D-Barrel, I would be very upset, but since I scored it in the clearance section, not too upset. There is always an unwritten rule that you might be buying junk from that section. So far my other mods have been playing nicely.
In my effort to stock up for the doom of vape mail, I went more spendy and avoided all Smok products.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Yes, Madvapes does warranties for Smok. They're also the lead U.S. Smok distributor. They're part of a big N.C. vaping conglomerate, Mad Cat Vapes, Vaping Mall USA, Mad Vapes. They all seem located in the same retail plaza, seem to share stock.

For the first few years I was vaping, I bought almost everything from them. Alohma Vapes I think is a site of theirs as well.

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Another one of my mods went to the dark side, Predator 228. Those darn hinged battery doors suck for me. That style of battery door is at the top of my do not ever buy list.
The really bad part of the Predator is that it is orange. I brought out the matching sub-ohm tank after my Frosted Grey Kylin Mini v2 developed a bad leak that I will have to research a fix (if any) for it. Then I found a site that had the sub-ohm coils in 5-packs for 99 cents each. I bought 7 packs.

Now I have a fairly nice orange sub-ohm tank with plenty of coils to last me years and no matching home for the tank. Sub-Ohm Tanks are great for people that don't change flavors often or keep to the same profiles.
It had been a long time since I used a sub-ohm tank. I always remembered the looking for coils and forgot the changing flavors part.

I have this obsession about having matching mods and tanks or at least blending nicely. Even with the cons of the sub-ohm tank I like using it as it doesn't leak, so far and it hits nicely.
In my last stock up buy I found 3 colors of VooPoo Vmates for sale for $21 each. I bought 1 of each color as my current VMate is my favorite ADV mod and has been very reliable and no hinged battery door. I found them here at a site in Texas: https://www.artisanvaporcompany.com/product/voopoo-vmate-200w-tc-box-mod-2/ They are still in stock at the time of this post.
Maybe one of the colors will look good with an orange tank.

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hopefully I will still have time as I ordered an asMODus Minikin Reborn in Orange to replace my failed Orange Predator 228 from Everzon.com.

VU Sponsors