Become a Patron!

Which device to take to the coast?

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I haven't really traveled since I started vaping (except to visit relatives) and I haven't been to the pacific coast for over 10 years (I'm in CA) Basically, I have tow choices:
Innokin Kroma Z "pod mod" (and two pods)
Kanger K box (18650) mod with Innokin Zlide tank
The Kroma Z has internal battery so when it runs low I will have to wait for it to charge (but it charges quickly) I like having the two pods so I can have different juices to switch up.
I have two 18650 batteries for the K box so can switch when one gets low BUT I really don't want to bring the external charger. Kinda sucks only having the one tank for it
Will be there for a couple days. Have no $ to buy anything else (including disposable) I do DIY so juice is not an issue.
I won't be carrying these on the beach (will keep it in the van that we can actually drive down part of the beach (Pismo)
I vape outside so won't vape in the motel room. Maybe I should just bring them both (and pray I don't lose the fanny pack or leave it at the motel)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not gonna say about what to bring mod/atty-wise...bring what works and you enjoy. And can afford to replace. :)

Don't leave vapes un-attended...ppl steal everything, including shit that IS chained down.

If keeping in the van, be careful of the heat...sitting in a cupholder in sight will either get them stolen or blow'd up in the 150F heat of a closed car.

Battery cases, use them.

I'd bring a USB charger with an AC adapter...could charge like a phone or from the wall...although I have some 18650 chargers that are the size of a EVic Mini...

Ziplock bags...good for temp use to keep out sand, dirt and water when not using. Definitely put juice battles in one..leaks and accidents will happen on a road trip.

Me, I'd have the batteries in cases, mods/juice bottles in ziplock bags and all in bubblewrap in it's own small backpack or w/e. Away from direct sunlight, food and drink, kids, crackheads, dogs, keys, etc.

Remember about changing altitude and temps...tanks can leak that otherwise don't...

Just my....
SMILEY $0.02 cents coin.jpg

Last edited:

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Whichever one u like least šŸ˜€
Seriously, i would just bring the kroma and be prepared to replace it, or both.

The magnet connections in general are more water and sandproof then a 510, but that can also cause probs. I would bring the tank as a backup but use the pod on the beach

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@CaFF , Thank you... good advice. I'm not too worried about heat (only supposed to be 75 deg F) but you are so right about heat in a vehicle. I have battery cases (and always use them even at home...I'm OCD about stuff like that) I have decided to bring both (and USB charger of course) I also forgot I still have my original "mod" (a little Innokin E-Z watt) The Zlide will work on it (at 14 watts) I will actually carry that on the beach (and the Zlide has had much use so going to get a new one next month anyway) Thanks for reminding me to put juices in zip lock bag. I don't plan on swimming but do want to get my feet wet (just for shits and grins I'm going to wear some old "cut off" jeans (has good pockets)
I used to use my little pod (Vaporesso X-tra) for carry around but it quit working (very odd... the two contacts in the battery part... one turned black and doesn't seem to make contact anymore) I actually liked the coils (0.8 ohm) and still have extra pods. Oh well... won it in a contest (same for the Kroma-Z) so no big deal. I also have an extra K box that someone gave me (will bring that one) My "precious my precious" Vaporesso Revenger X with NRG tank never leaves the house! Two "married" batteries just for it.
That's really all I have (besides some RTAs and RDAs) Oh... I forgot... the original K box 40 (the one with just LEDs) I actually love that thing.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Here's the little EZ watt (I didn't like the tank though):

And like I said... I love this (uses 18650):
1664048957129.jpeg

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm getting my first social security payment next month (not a lot) so I can finally get a few more vaping things. Next time I'm in a similar situation I'll just get a big disposable.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I didn't mention this but it's so ironic... I worked for years at motels and vacation homes (housekeeping) Haven't actually been a guest for many many years. At one job, I was also in charge of lost and found (the vacation homes in Wawona Yosemite Nat park) We got so many items (after 60 days if not claimed) that employees didn't even bother claiming them ("I already have 4 ice chests") I scored so much stuff it was crazy! Just hope I don't forget my vape stuff at the motel LOL (can hear the employee saying "a fanny pack full of vape gear wohoo!")

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I didn't mention this but it's so ironic... I worked for years at motels and vacation homes (housekeeping) Haven't actually been a guest for many many years. At one job, I was also in charge of lost and found (the vacation homes in Wawona Yosemite Nat park) We got so many items (after 60 days if not claimed) that employees didn't even bother claiming them ("I already have 4 ice chests") I scored so much stuff it was crazy! Just hope I don't forget my vape stuff at the motel LOL (can hear the employee saying "a fanny pack full of vape gear wohoo!")
The people who leave their keys always make me laugh...how did they leave? U would think they would notice when they went to start their car

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I was also an inspector for housekeeping (and was very good at this) When a guest called and asked if we found something (like expensive electronic items) I would search the house (very thorough... flashlight... every nook and cranny... is that even a word?) The office people would ask me "are you sure you looked everywhere?" I would laugh. My answer... "yes, even the fridge, freezer, behind night stands, under the bed, closets, oven and microwave" Oh and even the BBQ on the back deck! They knew from then on when I said I looked everywhere the item was not there (the guests often called later and said they found it under a car seat)
I did sidetrack my own thread... oh well, makes for good conversation.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Update: we are back and had a great time. No big issues with my vape gear but learned a few things about carrying vapes while traveling. My old (cheap) fanny pack was a fail (zippers failed) and I wrapped all my mods in paper towels and wrapped with rubber bands (makes sense but didn't know which mod was which (drove me nuts) I really need another carry case (something with pouches) Yes, glad I had a ziplock bag (one pod leaked... never had before) All mods survived (I did set one on the dash for a few minutes... in full sun, but got it before it got hot) My little EZ watt mod was great for walking down the beach (with the Zlide tank) My K box (with 18650 battery) lasted all 3 days (never needed the spare battery) but I was only running 15 watts. Thanks for the tips,
Any advice for a good thing to carry several mods/ tanks (something with pouches to carry 3-4 mods)
Juices in another ziplock bag but no leaks.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Update: we are back and had a great time. No big issues with my vape gear but learned a few things about carrying vapes while traveling. My old (cheap) fanny pack was a fail (zippers failed) and I wrapped all my mods in paper towels and wrapped with rubber bands (makes sense but didn't know which mod was which (drove me nuts) I really need another carry case (something with pouches) Yes, glad I had a ziplock bag (one pod leaked... never had before) All mods survived (I did set one on the dash for a few minutes... in full sun, but got it before it got hot) My little EZ watt mod was great for walking down the beach (with the Zlide tank) My K box (with 18650 battery) lasted all 3 days (never needed the spare battery) but I was only running 15 watts. Thanks for the tips,
Any advice for a good thing to carry several mods/ tanks (something with pouches to carry 3-4 mods)
Juices in another ziplock bag but no leaks.
Glad things worked out well. :D

Me, I have a messenger bag thing with tons of pockets of all sizes and types. Even has a little flashlight sort of pocket with a velcro flap over it...fits a small mod nicely and safely.

IDK about there, but here ya can't just walk in any store with a backpack...you can imagine why. A bag like this slung over my shoulder, never had a problem.

(no, that isn't a battery in the mesh pocket..just lip balm)

20220930_175901~3.jpg

It's big enough to carry a 12-pack in the largest section, but it flattens when not full. I use it for grocery shopping too since I don't drive. Got it at a thrift store for like $4. :)

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Nice... that looks like something I need. Thank you.

Travelon brand bags have styles that have lots of "organizer" features - pockets and such. I have found Travelon bags on eBay several times for good prices. They are really well made, too, and hold up through being thrown around and stuffed full, have good adjustable straps, they're just all around really good bags. Lots of different styles, and come in basic colors that men wouldn't feel self-conscious carrying.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@nadalama , I don't care what it looks like (seriously... pink with purple dots) I just want something that is functional (I won't actually be carry this around)

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I forgot to mention... we went to a beach you can drive on. Parked the van with the back hatch open facing the ocean (lounge chairs inside... all the seats are removable) That was so cool BUT at one moment I layed one of mods on the front dash in the sun (was just supposed to be for a moment) and forgot (only 10 minutes) Got lucky... it was warm but not hot.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It's been almost a year... we are going to the coast again. I looked back at this thread (to find the link for the carry bag) Ordered it from amazon.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
We had a good time at the coast. The travel case worked great. Thank god for ziplock bags and "vaper towels"... one pod and one juice bottle leaked. Otherwise no issues.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We had a good time at the coast. The travel case worked great. Thank god for ziplock bags and "vaper towels"... one pod and one juice bottle leaked. Otherwise no issues.
Rock on...I still have the same messenger bag still...lol...400mi from my old home.
Nobody gives a look...even in stores with 'no backbacks' notices. ;-)

I recently moved like in 100F heat in a Uhaul with everything I owned and Milly in a carrier....over 400 mi and everything survived....it was hell.

Yeah, Ive learned, shit ALWAYS leaks...change in altitude during travel...leak.... any thermal or pressure change...leak.

Exception being the Uwell D2's...I walked with those RTAs in -20 WC, and 116 heat...they do not leak.
Their design makes it virtually impossible.

Last edited:

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Forgot to mention... the only thing I would do different is bring extra zip-lock bags. All batteries lasted through the trip with no re-charging (had 3 setups)

VU Sponsors