Become a Patron!

Which wire to buy for claptoning and normal builds

BNG

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So, I have a Voopoo Drag and a Vgod TTP Clone, and I would like to start claptoning normally (I did a clapton, but the ramp up was horrible, it was a 26/28 ss316 build...). So, I thought I will buy some ss wire for the core and kanthal for the clapton (because it's cheaper xD), and I don't know if normal 26 awg ss316l would be better or 0.8x0.2 ribbon (from fasttech...). Which one would you choose? Here are the links:
26 awg: https://m.fasttech.com/products/0/10019099/3975301-authentic-geekvape-316l-stainless-steel#specs
ribbon: https://m.fasttech.com/products/0/10016155/4455801-authentic-mkws-316l-stainless-steel-resistance
wrapping coil (Clapton): https://m.fasttech.com/p/2173601

DimSumDom

Member For 4 Years
Hiya! Just wanted to ask what wire you will be using as the wrap. If im understanding correctly, your last coil was a 26g core with a 28g wrap right? For a better ramp up you should use a smaller gauge wire as your wrap.

BNG

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I posted the link there for it, it's 32g kanthal A1

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You want 30+ for the wrap its better with thinner wrap 32 34 36 38 40 when you get better , its very thin is 40

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

DimSumDom

Member For 4 Years
ahh, my apologies. I missed it. In that case Id personally go for the round wire. Its easier to Clapton imo and if you decide to do more with the 26g wire you can always do fused claptons.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
For the wrap wire don't bother with anything larger than 36 gauge. The ramp up time to get the 32 hot will be slow, not as slow as your first experiment with 26/28, but still slow. The theory behind this is electricity will take the path of least resistance, in this case the core wire. There will be very little current in the wrap wire so all the heating is done by the core wire.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For the wrap wire don't bother with anything larger than 36 gauge. The ramp up time to get the 32 hot will be slow, not as slow as your first experiment with 26/28, but still slow. The theory behind this is electricity will take the path of least resistance, in this case the core wire. There will be very little current in the wrap wire so all the heating is done by the core wire.
This...so much this.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets it.
36g or higher for fuse.
Temco for 36g, Coil Society for core and 38g+

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

Lotus Insane

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you want SS316L, possibly go with a 28g / 36g SS316L, that way at least you could do either regular clapton, or go into fused claptons without Ω-ing out really low. Should keep you around the 0.22 Ω with a fused clapton at 3mm id and 7 wraps. Around 0.38 Ω with regular claptons at 3mm id and 6 wraps. Play around on Steam Engine to find where you want it. Just my 2¢

BNG

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm not in the US btw, I'm in Cyprus, so shipping would be a hell of a lot from there...

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"Claptoning" eh?

I never thought I'd see the day when I'd look up Clapton in Youtube and find vaping howtos instead of music. Eric Clapton must be spinning in his grave - which is all the more amazing, considering he ain't dead yet.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

HendrixVapes

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
26/32awg is always good, check out some different coils you can build online, claptons are just the tip of the iceberg imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Those would be ok to start, but you will find that 100 feet of Clapton wrap wire will go quick. Maybe you can find sources in the EU or UK that have reasonable shipping. Maybe @conanthewarrior can help you out with sources.

I buy my wire either from Stealth vapes, or Crazy wire. Both are high quality, and coil builders who sell more exotic builds use them too. I just use simple 26G SS316L, but there are many styles on a spool from Crazy wire.
Stealth vapes sell pre made coils, either in a big multi pack of different types, or pairs but they are pricy.

Stealth vapes- http://www.stealthvape.co.uk/wire?page=1

Crazy wire- http://www.wireandstuff.co.uk/products/Vaping-Wire.html

Flatwire and ribbon is also available, have a look and I'm sure what is needed will be available :).

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"Claptoning" eh?

I never thought I'd see the day when I'd look up Clapton in Youtube and find vaping howtos instead of music. Eric Clapton must be spinning in his grave - which is all the more amazing, considering he ain't dead yet.

Damn, I wonder if he vapes? Someone from here should ask him.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think in 20 years time it will become a part of language....We just need to persist lol

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors