Become a Patron!

Who does Manscaping, and with what tools or products do you use?

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Manscaping

From trimming body hair to face shaving, etc

I recently bought a lot of different products for face shaving, and trimming my body hair. I am one hairy guy.

Here are the products I bought below. Have you used any of these?
Any tips, or tricks? Best products?
Adjscleftcat__48392.1478701132.1280.1280.jpg 71iIvbaMjTL._SX522_.jpg 71G1nPbVrOL._SY679_.jpg 417d23r1+kL.jpg 508ea404-ad4c-4deb-aec8-9a2b0048a092.jpg 81vvElb253L._SX522_.jpg 61FLE4L+XtL._SX522_.jpg 61Xho1M-9SL._SX522_.jpg 71h7pm8gUlL._SX522_.jpg 717mzau5XQL._SX522_.jpg

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Manscaping ...like that haha (did you coin that one Smokie?)

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Manscaping has been around a while. I have a long beard but for everything else. No special tools. Just scissors and a cheap razor. And patience of course. You don't wanna damage the root of the bush.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
That Col. Conk is going to dry your face out and if you wear cologne some of their scents clash heavily with everything. Taylor of Old Bond Street makes a neutral smelling avocado scent that doesnt clash with anything so consider that next run.

If you are not familiar with single blade razors you may want to skip the feather blades for now until your skin gets used to the blade (Stay at 30 degrees and let the weight of the razor cut the hair, no need to press down hard) Astra Superior makes a inexpensive blade that wears good and is forgiving.

Keep your brush clean and dont leave your razor in barbicide if you use it.

Edit-- Only used on face and head. Cant speak for anything else and only have ever used a DE or straight razor.

Last edited:

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
That Col. Conk is going to dry your face out and if you wear cologne some of their scents clash heavily with everything. Taylor of Old Bond Street makes a neutral smelling avocado scent that doesnt clash with anything so consider that next run.

If you are not familiar with single blade razors you may want to skip the feather blades for now until your skin gets used to the blade (Stay at 30 degrees and let the weight of the razor cut the hair, no need to press down hard) Astra Superior makes a inexpensive blade that wears good and is forgiving.

Keep your brush clean and dont leave your razor in barbicide if you use it.

Edit-- Only used on face and head. Cant speak for anything else and only have ever used a DE or straight razor.
Thanks, took your advice, and bought the Astra blades, a 100 for $9-
My Parker Variant Adjustable Safety Razor comes in today so I will wait on those blades before using.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Thanks, took your advice, and bought the Astra blades, a 100 for $9-
My Parker Variant Adjustable Safety Razor comes in today so I will wait on those blades before using.

The feathers are great, they are just super sharp. Will save yourself some razor burn going through an adjustment period over whatever you were using before. Using a traditional setup also doesnt have to be a "thing" that takes hours unless you want it to. Some dudes treat it like a beauty salon treatment with towels.

I put the coffee mug, razor and brush in the sink with faucet hot water and shave when I get out. 5 minutes with face only, 20 if doing my whole head.

If you do end up with barbicide it will eat the razor (not the blade) if you leave it in for a lot of time over a period of time. Most of those are chrome plated something and it will wreck them. Dip and rinse.

If that razor doesnt do it for you try a rockwell adjustable. Best value in razors as far as I am concerned. I also have the Gillette Super speed my Grandpa gave me when I was 15. It is from the 50's and still use it almost daily.

Also didnt see a styptic pen in that list above. You will probably need one initially if not used to blade shaving. Local drug store typically $1-$2. Will last for years. I have a 10 year old alum block still 50%.

If you find that badger to be rough get a Theirs Issard.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
The feathers are great, they are just super sharp. Will save yourself some razor burn going through an adjustment period over whatever you were using before. Using a traditional setup also doesnt have to be a "thing" that takes hours unless you want it to. Some dudes treat it like a beauty salon treatment with towels.

I put the coffee mug, razor and brush in the sink with faucet hot water and shave when I get out. 5 minutes with face only, 20 if doing my whole head.

If you do end up with barbicide it will eat the razor (not the blade) if you leave it in for a lot of time over a period of time. Most of those are chrome plated something and it will wreck them. Dip and rinse.

If that razor doesnt do it for you try a rockwell adjustable. Best value in razors as far as I am concerned. I also have the Gillette Super speed my Grandpa gave me when I was 15. It is from the 50's and still use it almost daily.

Also didnt see a styptic pen in that list above. You will probably need one initially if not used to blade shaving. Local drug store typically $1-$2. Will last for years. I have a 10 year old alum block still 50%.

If you find that badger to be rough get a Theirs Issard.
I have a real badger brush and a fat boy synthetic one which is super soft.

Also been using septic sticks for years which I have a few.
That hand me down razor you have I hear is the best which you can only buy used on eBay since they no longer make them.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I have a real badger brush and a fat boy synthetic one which is super soft.

Also been using septic sticks for years which I have a few.
That hand me down razor you have I hear is the best which you can only buy used on eBay since they no longer make them.

Sounds like you are no stranger to blade shaving. Just changing the method. If thats the case you will love it.

MC5

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why would any man want to revert to a pre pubescent stage?
To fit in better when trolling middle schools?:eek:

OK, getting serious here, if one tends to have a quite a few bleeders, shaving before the shower is what has worked perfectly for me. By the end of my shower, no bleeders.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Women don't like hair in their mouth. I have a long mustache and it gets on my nerves. I can imagine how they feel.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
i-dont-always-manscape-but-when-do-my-penislooks-twice-12634810.png

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ahh in an age of digital dictionaries new words appear daily.
Kinda makes them lose some validity...

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Well, you are on the right track.

The biggest thing to remember (and the hardest to master IMHO) is to Apply ZERO PRESSURE to the blade!

As far as the blades are concerned, I still suggest the Feather Blades. Might as well learn on the best!

But whatever your decision, use the same blade for a full thirty days while you are learning the ropes.

Here is my special baby, a vintage Gillette Long Handled Super Adjustable AKA "The Black Beauty"

BB 1.jpg

And when I have the extra time, nothing beats a Hot Lather Shave.

lather-mugs-bowls-crown-king-victorian-western-style-12-oz-scuttle-durable-porcelain-heirloom-quality-dishwasher-safe-available-in-black-or-white-1_x700.jpg

Attachments

• BB2.jpg
    BB2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 9

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
From top down: Merkur Classic, Gillette Super Speed, Parker, Merkur Futur, Rockwell
DE-Razors.png
Really only use the Gillette and the Rockwell.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOL
I 'manscape' like I vape.
Cheap assed, with Edge gel shave foam and cheap disposable razors. Dial white soap, Head and shoulders (well The wally world Equate stuff) shampoo and that is pretty much it.
Ohh and a comb, toenail and fingernail clippers and a back scrubbing brush.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
From top down: Merkur Classic, Gillette Super Speed, Parker, Merkur Futur, Rockwell
View attachment 107974
Really only use the Gillette and the Rockwell.

Very nice!

I also have the Gillette Super Speed, a modern-day Parker and a really nice Merkur Futur clone ($6 from Ali-Express).

I need to put the SuperSpeed back into my rotation as it was a gift and the first DE razor I ever shaved with!

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Very nice!

I also have the Gillette Super Speed, a modern-day Parker and a really nice Merkur Futur clone ($6 from Ali-Express).

I need to put the SuperSpeed back into my rotation as it was a gift and the first DE razor I ever shaved with!

I received the Merkur futur as a gift and used it to shave my head for the longest time. The Rockwell is much heavier and works better than all of the others combined so they have all started collecting dust (Gillette excluded). I keep the Gillette in rotation because it has sentimental value.

Nothing like a good shave with a good razor.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I received the Merkur futur as a gift and used it to shave my head for the longest time. The Rockwell is much heavier and works better than all of the others combined so they have all started collecting dust (Gillette excluded). I keep the Gillette in rotation because it has sentimental value.

Nothing like a good shave with a good razor.

I really like the Futur clone.

Has a nice heft and feel and gives a great shave.

That being said, I do wish it had a textured handle.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I really like the Futur clone.

Has a nice heft and feel and gives a great shave.

That being said, I do wish it had a textured handle.

Don't buy the Rockwell if you love your futur. It will change your relationship with that razor. I wasn't expecting much as I think I scooped it up on a kickstarter or something like that pretty early on so it was very inexpensive. Forgot about having ordered it and it showed up randomly one day unannounced in an awesome package and was so well built, I was instantly a fanboy.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Don't buy the Rockwell if you love your futur. It will change your relationship with that razor. I wasn't expecting much as I think I scooped it up on a kickstarter or something like that pretty early on so it was very inexpensive. Forgot about having ordered it and it showed up randomly one day unannounced in an awesome package and was so well built, I was instantly a fanboy.

I think I am pretty much done with purchasing razors.

That being said, I still like trying new soaps and aftershaves.

Probably have 6 different soaps and 8 different aftershaves in my rotation.

As well as some nice, non-talcum scented body powders which I apply with an old Boar Bristle brush.

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I don't know either,
However women should landscape for sure.
Was in Brazil years ago. Some of them like to display themselves on the beach.
Saw one sunbathing one day.
Hairy armpits and looked like she had Don Kings head in a leg lock.
That was sick!

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Now for the ULTIMATE in facial Manscaping!

I am very lucky to be near a small town and very old-fashioned barbershop.

Kinda the last of their kind.

Not only can you get a haircut but you can get the whole hot towel treatment, facial massage, straight razor shave complete with beard and mustache trimming!

The whole 9 yards is gonna run you about $35 but well worth it!

VU Sponsors