Become a Patron!

Why is my Eh pro Kayfun Lite Plus Disgustingly leaking?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Ok,

This one has me stumped.

I have been using this with great success for months now.

Just did a rebuild, new coil and wick and the thing is leaking like a son of a gun from the air hole.

One thing I did notice is the screw for the airflow seems to have backed out a bit on its own recently and I have put it back where it belongs.

A little bit of leaking is to be expected with each fill until pressure get to where it needs to be. But only a few drops.

Seams and seals seem to be good.

Any ideas from the peanut gallery?

And why was my subject header changed from suddenly to disgustingly and why can't I change it?

But when I think about it, I am disgusted!

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Did you have it in the heat??? Heat can cause RTA's to leak live a sieve. Other than that I have no idea. One of mine decided to take a piss one day for no apparent reason.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Great idea but no.

I was in the house and the temp was 73 deg.

Did you ever get yours to work again?

GargoyleK1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Mine did that one time… No idea why it did it.. But once I took it apart and rebuilt it again it stopped and has been fine since..

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Great idea but no.

I was in the house and the temp was 73 deg.

Did you ever get yours to work again?

Mine leaked out of blue and stopped leaking just as fast. One of those unexplained things I guess.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Mine did that one time… No idea why it did it.. But once I took it apart and rebuilt it again it stopped and has been fine since..

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I am really quite frustrated as I really thought that I had mastered that device.

Frustrated being the operative word as I have decided to put it aside for the night before I start taking out my frustrations on the cat.

As the Good Lord is my witness, the poor thing was picking up on my mood (as they do) and was sitting at my feet crying while I was cursing.

For now, having no better idea I have the top cap soaking in a wee bit of PG to try and swell up the O-Ring in the assembly.

Even with all this crap, still beats smoking!

GargoyleK1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No doubt about it beating smoking…

I was very upset and frustrated at the time as well… But once I cooled off and just decided to "redo" the whole thing I have been happy since. If it happens again at least I'll know what needs to be done. Will still be pissed but not as bad as the first time.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

But when I put aside for the night I was starting to look at a hammer funny.

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wonder if the side airhole is a little clogged, causing the adjustment screw passage to have a uneven pressure, resulting in leak?

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Wonder if the side airhole is a little clogged, causing the adjustment screw passage to have a uneven pressure, resulting in leak?

Possible.

When I do a rebuild I give the deck a soak in softened water, and then build it after drying of course so crud does not build up.

And the airflow is just fine.

It leaks but the airflow is just fine~

GargoyleK1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh Oh Oh!!!

I have had this happen if I fill it to full… Also your not top filling it are you?? Please say your not top filling it… Anyway.. I have had to suck about .3 ML out before to fix a leaker… Seems that air bubble is pretty important.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Oh Oh Oh!!!

I have had this happen if I fill it to full… Also your not top filling it are you?? Please say your not top filling it… Anyway.. I have had to suck about .3 ML out before to fix a leaker… Seems that air bubble is pretty important.

Actually I do top fill it.

But again, I have been doing it for months a I feel I have the hang of it.

However, while I do waste a few drops from the air hole, and I do mean drops, I am now getting a virtual flood of many, many drops!

GargoyleK1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well… I think you have answered your own question then… Sadly to say the top filling route while it works some of the time causes issues (from what I have read) the rest of the time…

I gotta ask though… Whats wrong with the fill port in the bottom? I mean thats the way to was designed to be filled so I don't understand why you wouldn't use it.

GargoyleK1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Add on post….

Top filling it… When you put your top on you may have damaged the top oring.. Which will not allow it to create a vacuum. Something worth checking.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Well.

The bottom port for me just does not work well. I end up making a mess.

When I fill from the top, I add the liquid to the proper level leaving just enough of a gap to put the top on top of the chimney while covering the air hole the entire time with one of my extra thumbs.

Then I put the top and the drip tip on and I usually only lose a few drops of liquid before it reaches the desired internal pressure.

GargoyleK1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok…. I am wondering if the oring that seals the chimney portion may have gotten dislodged or damaged in the process. Just off the top of my head thinking here.

Also… I had issues with using the bottom fill port as well.. When I was at one of my local vape shops I picked up a syringe with a blunt tip. Was like a dollar. I use that to fill now and believe me its a snap!! Just a suggestion to make your life with your kayfun a little easier.

Please let us know what you find the issue to be once you decide to put down that hammer… :)

Def sounds like its not keeping pressure. Maybe its the seal on the top of chimney gone bad? Or when you are putting the top cap on it may be coming loose?

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I think the overfill is the answer. I always go by the tilt and fill til there is a slight bubble at the top of the clear tank when upside down. The one that leaked I was using the full size acrylic tank and it is hard to judge using the same method. It was filled pretty close to the top so there was no room for air.

Galaxyrider

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have owned my KFL for just over a week, never any probs. New wick twice, new coil (just to see if I could really do it) once. Wicking can cause a lot of headaches, all I can say is just go slow, take care where the wicks are laying. I use the bottom fill port and a syringe w/18 ga blunt to fill, and leave only a very tiny bubble. Have you checked your o rings? Pressure/Vacuum seems to be important, and very possibly an issue here.

Cavediver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well.

The bottom port for me just does not work well. I end up making a mess.

When I fill from the top, I add the liquid to the proper level leaving just enough of a gap to put the top on top of the chimney while covering the air hole the entire time with one of my extra thumbs.

Then I put the top and the drip tip on and I usually only lose a few drops of liquid before it reaches the desired internal pressure.

If the drip tip is pointing up while you do this, you're still pressurizing the air above the liquid, which forces the liquid into the coil chamber.
I thread the top on to the body by about 1/2 turn or less, flip it upside down, wait a second or two for the liquid to drain away from the wick channels, and then finish screwing the top on. This still floods the chamber a tiny bit, but it's not nearly as bad as doing it with the drip tip facing up.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@UncleRJ Thanks for the jinx!!! LOL I filled my KFL a few minutes ago and the damn thing started leaking.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mine leaked out of blue and stopped leaking just as fast. One of those unexplained things I guess.

Totally. I truly think some need to be broken in. I fill mine slowly now and give it time for air to escape

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Totally. I truly think some need to be broken in. I fill mine slowly now and give it time for air to escape

I have no choice but to fill mine slow. The needle bottles I bought don't have a very big gauge tip. LOL

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Well, its a new day, not so freaking frustrated so I went to revisit the issue.

Kinda thinking it was the o-ring in the top of the device, last night I let it soak in a little PG so see if some lube might help.

Then before I assembled and filled I put the end of the chimney through the end were the drip tip attaches.

Filled as I normally do from the top, put it in a clean shot glass so I wouldn't wast a lot of liquid (and using a just so-so liquid I had on hand)and after 5 minutes, only a drop or two had come out of the air hole. Back to freaking normal after all the cursing and BS I went through last night.

Then I decided to revisit how the whole thing had started.

I had ordered a Quartz Tank kit (full size not the nano) off of eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231269861137

$19 shipped with extra glass, not shabby. $8 for the Nano.

Anyway, I had dry burned the coil and put in a new piece of wick, assemble with the new tank and that is when the flood started. Roundly cursing the new tank I put the old one back on and the flooding continued.

So now I empty the old tank of the not so great juice, replaced with the new quartz tank.

Nothing. Well about two drops.

The whole thing is working perfectly again and as I write this I am vaping Fireball from Juice Mafia. Without a care in the world about my tank cracking.

Now I have to figure out why the air flow screw was backing out on its own!

And thank you all for your assistance.

Also thinking about ordering the new black one that has a different chimney system on it so I don't have to relay on that goofy o-ring up there!

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@UncleRJ I have heard those quartz tanks are not good at all. There is nothing holding the tank together except o-rings and vacuum. I was ready to order one until I read that. Some people have had them come apart and dump a whole tank. Be careful.

GargoyleK1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Glad ya got it sorted!

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
@UncleRJ I have heard those quartz tanks are not good at all. There is nothing holding the tank together except o-rings and vacuum. I was ready to order one until I read that. Some people have had them come apart and dump a whole tank. Be careful.

Thanks for your concern!

The one that I have just gotten is a replacement for one where the "quartz" (I now kind of suspect it was glass) cracked for no apparent reason.

And it worked very well until then.

But I am in the habit of picking up my mod from the mod and not the topper.

But since you brought up a very valid point, with great care mind you, I picked up my Kayfun with the quartz tank ever so gently by the drip tip and the whole thing held together.

That being said, I am always slightly on the paranoid side when it comes to handling my mods and such.

But a very valid point all the same and I will take extra care with it!

But I do so love not having to worry about what liquid I put inside of it as well as being able to see the total amount of liquid left in the tank rather than kinda guessing.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I though juice cracking tanks was a thing of the past? I must've just moved on in my flavour preferences

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok I dunno what the hell. But ever since reading this thread one of my KFL's has leaked three times. And this is the one that I have always had good luck with. Weird.

JustBlowinSteam

Member For 4 Years
Mine did this once and had me stumped. I finally replaced all of the orings and bingo... no more problems. Evidently i had a slight pinhole or something in one and wasn't getting a great seal and as we all know with the kayfun it's all about the pressure inside being stable or it doesn't wick well and it leaks. Hope u got urs all figured out....

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There's a reason why a kayfun leaks. And a solution. I've seen to many leaking kayfuns get sorted out and fixed to believe that there's a vaper who has the kayfun that's totally flawed and unfixable. Like what I mean is I don't think there are kayfuns out there that had their internals drilled to wide or something. If anyone disagrees about their kayfun then send it to me and I'll fix it - and keep it heh heh

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Mine did this once and had me stumped. I finally replaced all of the orings and bingo... no more problems. Evidently i had a slight pinhole or something in one and wasn't getting a great seal and as we all know with the kayfun it's all about the pressure inside being stable or it doesn't wick well and it leaks. Hope u got urs all figured out....

Seems that I have gotten it fixed.

How I did it, I am not quite sure.

But I am happily vaping on it right now!

JustBlowinSteam

Member For 4 Years
Awesome....glad to hear it... I dunno if my changing the o rings actually did it for me or if it just finally fixed itself either lol. Happy vaping anyhow! ;)

oncebitten

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This is going to sound crazy but is scientifically sound. By any chance do you live somewhere that might have had bad weather that swiftly occurred? The reason I ask is that I have noticed that sometimes when a storm comes through and my barometer drops that these environmental pressure changes can cause tanks to leak. We rely on vacuum to keep our tanks from leaking and rapid pressure changes affect this.

I'm not a meteorologist in real life. I'm merely a tribologist but this is something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors