Become a Patron!

Wotofo SMRT Pod Kit + rebuildable PnP coil

I_aint_Joe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Introduction.

It’s getting to the point where there are far too many PnP pod systems on the market, the coil cross-compatibility is great, but if you’re going to make yet another PnP pod it had better stand out.

The Manik S is almost the same as the original Manik Pod Mod, apart from it having an internal 2000mAh battery instead of using an 18650 and honeycomb airflow rather than the slot airflow of the Manik.

What makes this interesting are the coils, as well as a D15 clapton mesh coil, it also comes with Wotofo’s SMRT rebuildable PnP coil kit. This review will focus mainly on the SMRT coils, as having the ability to rebuild coils that are cross compatible with Voopoo, Vaporesso, etc is a big deal to some people.
DSC_0008.JPG

What do you get?

• Manik S Pod system – a 2000mAh pod system with type C charging, non-adjustable airflow and a 4.5ml pod.
  • D15 0.20hm Clapton mesh coil
  • SMRT rebuildable coil kit – this comes with the SMRT Pod Kit, but is also available as an individual purchase.
Pod System

It’s hard to ignore that it has logos plastered all over it, for me it’s a step down in aesthetics from the original Manik. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess – but I’m very much into plain mods/pods.

The body is aluminum and feels light for its size, the basic shape is the same as the original Manik, just shrunk down a little. The chipset is basic but functional, with power adjustment, color change, lock, puff reset. The screen is bright and clear and the buttons are well placed and clicky.

The pod has a narrower drip-tip than a standard Voopoo PnP tank and is more comfortable.
DSC_0010.JPG
SMRT rebuildable PnP coils

There are six important parts to the rebuildable coils – the mesh, the cotton, a rod, a rubber insulation ring, a positive pin and the empty coil shell.

I did type out a build guide, however I decided to delete it because the picture guide included with the kit is far more effective, as are the video guides available online.

There are however two tips that I will point out:

• Until the cotton is secured in the slot of the coil, keep it pinched as tight as possible – the tighter you hold it, the easier the assembly is.
  • Don’t cut the cotton too close to the coil – on my first build I used surgical scissors that allowed me to cut the cotton very flush to the coil, this removed too much wicking and resulted in leaks. For the following builds I used regular crappy blunt scissors which didn’t allow me to cut totally flat to the coil and I’ve had zero leaks.
While the build process has a few steps, it’s generally easy and quick – my first build took me less than five minutes to complete.

Just out of curiosity, I did try to build with a regular cotton pad and failed. The supplied cotton is smooth and compressed, a regular pad is much harder to get inside the empty coil.
DSC_0036.JPG
How does it vape?

The SMRT coils taste decent and last well – there’s no real drawbacks in using them compared to pre-built PnP coils – the SMRT coils work in other PnP devices, I’ve been using mine mainly in the Drag X because I prefer to use something with an 18650.

Flavor is comparable with that from the regular Wotofo PnP coils – I always preferred Wotofo’s PnP coils to Voopoo’s, so this is a good thing.

The SMRT coils when built correctly have less moisture build up than with Voopoo PnP coils, with 50/50 juice there’s a tiny bit of moisture, with 70/30 and higher there is zero moisture even when left overnight.

However, there are two disappointments – the excellent clapton mesh is not (yet?) available for the SMRT coils and there isn’t anything with higher ohms – I’d have loved to see something around 0.6ohms that I could build with.

Prices

Of course, this really depends on how much you’re paying for your PnP coils, based on Fasttech prices, with the initial purchase of the SMRT kit, you’re going pay about $1 per coil, compared to $1.40 for a Voopoo PnP coil – but once you’ve bought that kit and only have to buy the mesh/cotton, your coils are going to cost about $0.60 per coil, compared to $1.40 per prebuilt Voopoo coil.

Manik S Pros

• Lightweight and solid construction.
  • Simple and effective chipset.
  • More comfortable drip-tip than a PnP tank.
Manik S Cons

• Too many/large logos
  • Non-adjustable airflow
SMRT Coil Pros

• Performs just like pre-built coils
  • Quick and simple build process.
  • More economical and ecological than replacing a whole coil.
  • Cross compatible with other companies.
SMRT Coil Cons

• Lack of variety in available mesh – it’s all 0.2ohm mesh.
Conclusion

When compared to other PnP systems with fixed batteries such as the Drag S or Argus, the Manik S is neither better nor worse, it comes down to priorities and personal taste – I think the products from Voopoo look better, and I appreciate them having airflow control, however I like Wotofo’s UI and pod/drip-tip more.

But this review is more about the SMRT coil system. If you use anything with 0.15 – 0.3ohm PnP coils, there’s no reason not to buy this. The coils are every bit as good as pre-built coils, very easy to assemble and cheaper.

I hope the SMRT style coil range expands, there’s no reason why we can’t see this system for coils other than PnP in the future and with a wider variety of mesh.

Disclaimer

The SMRT Pod Kit was sent to me by Wotofo for the purposes of this review.

VU Sponsors