Become a Patron!

Wotofo Troll X RTA Review by SessionDrummer

SessionDrummer

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lede.png

A huge thanks out to @HealthCabin for contacting me and sending this unit out for review. As always, you'll know what I think, hero or zero.

Wotofo has made some PRETTY big claims, ......

> " THE TROLL X RTA Crank Up Your Flavor By Ten Times!".

We'll just see about that.

**Specs:**

* Height: 36mm (without drip tip & 510 pin)
* Deck Diameter: 24mm
* Drip Tip: 810 resin drip tip
* E-liquid Capacity:
* 3.0ml straight PCTG tube for Standard Edition
* 2.0ml straight PCTG tube for TPD/UK Edition
* 4.4ml bubble glass tube included
* Filling Method: Top filling
* Airflow Type: Bottom airflow
* Coil Type: Wire Coil
* Coil Type: Single/Dual Coil
* Insulator Material: German PEEK
* Threading: 510 thread

**What's Included:**

* 1pc THE TROLL X RTA
* 2pcs Framed Staple Clapton (0.33Ω Ni80)
* 2pcs 3mm Thick Cotton Strip
* 2pcs Airflow Insert (1 pre-installed)
* 1pc 4.4ml Bubble Glass Tube
* 1pc Coil Trimming Tool
* 1pc Cross Head Screwdriver
* 1pc Accessory Bag
* 1pc User Manual

Out of the gate, with the typical Wotofo packing..

Box.jpg

It looked a little sparse, until you opened it and found all of the extras they included. See that little surprise in the o-ring bag ?

Full Contents.jpg

Let's take a look at what's what here ....

Exploaded.png

Nothing out of the ordinary, except for the air flow plates !!!!

Air Flow Plates.png

Now inserts aren't unheard of, but Wotofo designed them in such a way that you can change them WITHOUT removing the coils !!!

Plates Switching.png

Pretty well thought out. Starting out with all the major parts that fit together well, and worked flawlessly.

Parts.jpg

I chose the gold version, and I was immediately taken aback by the gold flake 810 dirp tip..

Drip Tip Top.jpg

Fit snug, and o-ringed ..

Drip Tip Bottom.jpg

The top cap was domed nicely for super flavor production ..

Domed Cap.jpg

SessionDrummer

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Attention to detail like knurling, and engraved logo ..

Domed Cap 2.jpg

My standard edition came with a 3.0ml straight, and 4.5ml bubble glass ..

Tanks.jpg

The top assembly went together smoothly ..

Top Assembly.jpg

Missing was any large, kidney filling slots, and instead a small, needle tip only filling port, located under the slide ..

Slide Fill.jpg

The deck while not huge, was spacious enough, and well thought out with solid grub screws, peek insulators, and the pre-installed "slim groove" air plate ..

Deck Side 2.jpg

And YES, you CAN change the air plates without removing the coils. The latch once snapped in, held it firmly ..

Air Plate Latch.jpg

The "honeycomb dot" plate was also included ..

Air Plate Top.jpg

Part of the Troll X's claim to fame was the additional air flow, and it was handled by THREE sets, of identical 5 ports ..

Air Flow.jpg

The included Framed Staple Claptons ..

Coils Bag.jpg

And coil cutting guide ..

Coil Guide.jpg

SessionDrummer

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cutting them to the spec'd 6mm they sat nicely in the deck ..

Coils Initial.jpg

Tightened, and straightened ..

Coils Loaded.jpg

After some pulsing the Ni80 blue came to life ..

Coils Pulsed.jpg

The supplied shoelace wicks were a little snug in the coils, but twisting them a bit, got them in cleanly ..

Wicking.jpg

When loading the first wick, it looked to take up almost 2/3'rds of the well, so I thinned, and angle cut them a bit, allowing the tails to reach the bottom of the well ..

Single Tail.jpg

Adding the second tail, everything sat in place nicely without packing the wells ..

Dual Tails.jpg

Starting the saucing, and I did tamp down the wet tails just a bit to allow for easier top cap installation ..

Money Shot.jpg

Sauced.jpg

As previously mentioned the fill port was very small, and only allowed for needle tips. The filling WAS thought out well, as I could hear air forcing out opposite the fill port allowing for a clean, easy fill ..

Filling 2.jpg

The Troll X looked great with both the straight, and bubble glass ..

Filled.jpg

SessionDrummer

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Final Bubble 3.jpg

**Testing/Usage:**

Overall the unit appeared to be well thought out, constructed, and machined. Everything fit together well, with o-rings where needed, knurling for ease of use, and plenty of airflow options. Throughout the cleaning, prepping, photographing, and setting this one up I was interested to see IF the claims of "Up to 10 times greater flavor" would pan out. I was actually SURPRISED by how good the flavor was on the Troll X. Not sure if it's TEN times better, but it's pretty damned excellent. My preferred setup was with the slotted air plate, airflow wide open, and about 65w. It produced a fairly dense, flavorful vape with no spitting, tank heating or any other negatives. I tested one of my go to Custards which can be harder to reproduce for some setups, but this one not only DID just that, but almost added some buttery-ness to the bottom end !!!! What ?? !!! Yes, it actually did. Impressive to say the least. Building was slightly more work, but only in getting the tails thinned / angle cut to fit into the wells cleanly, and pre-sauced to help lay the cotton down before capping off the unit. I would have preferred a larger fill port to allow for larger tips, but the needle tips worked fine. Adjusting the airflow ring, and/or replacing the air plates was trouble free, and easy, and really did allow for a WIDE array of airflow choices that would cover just about anyone's needs.

**Pros:**

* Great looking, especially the gold flake 810 drip tip
* Tons of combined airflow options (airflow ring, and air plates)
* Easy to use slide fill
* Bottom Airflow
* Single or Dual Coils
* Tons of included extras, for vaping right out of the box
* Rich, dense, accurate flavor, that enhanced my custards
* Leak FREE (see end of review for spoiler.....)

**Cons:**

* Included wicks somewhat tight in supplied coils, easily overcome
* VERY small fill port
* Proper wicking requires a little extra work
* Pre-saucing wicks, and tamping required to correctly install top cap assembly

**Conclusion:**

Well, well, well, color me impressed. I was actually very surprised to see how WELL my custards fared in this tank, AND, with almost a "buttery boost". VERY unexpected to say the least. Having used similar designs before, I was fully prepared for the slightly extra amount of work required regarding the wicking, and pre-saucing before completely installing. The airflow plates actually DID provide a different feel, and I found the pre-installed slotted plate to be perfect. Lots of airflow and choices to be had, and despite chain vaping it, I was unable to get a dry hit out of it. Smooth operation and controls, and the stunning extras that Wotofo threw in, just made the deal even sweeter. Beyond the small filling port, I really couldn't find fault with the Troll X RTA, and am now highly recommending it. Check out Health Cabin for a great price on this one, and thanks for taking the time, to come along for the ride !!!

*S.D.*

If you have made it this far, I again, salute you. As an ADDED bonus, I decided to perform a leak test and laid the unit on it's side for about 5 minutes, and guess what ?? LEAK FREE !!!!

Leak Test.jpg

**Colors:**

Colors.png

**Linkage:**

Final Bubble 2.jpg

Final 3.jpg

Final 2.jpg

` `

VU Sponsors