Become a Patron!

Wrap Count & Diameter Effects on Flavor & Temp?

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I want to build a conventional 1.2 ohm kanthal micro coil for my new Subtank/ Subox Mini system. I will wrap it on my standard 2.4mm bit. I can do 8 wraps of 27 gauge or 10 wraps of 26 gauge. Which is preferable? The 10 wrap will have more surface area but longer ramp up even if resistance is fixed?

In a similar vein, how does the diameter affect performance? For example, I can make the same 1.2 ohm coil of 8 wrap 27 gauge on the 2.4mm bit OR 8 wrap 26 gauge on a 3mm diameter bit. The 3mm coil has more surface area but how will it compare re ramp up and temp? Of the 3 coils mentioned, which would you choose for my Subox Mini? Thanks, in advance, for the input.

1.2 ohm kanthal micro coil:
-26 gauge 10 wraps on 2.4mm
-27 gauge 8 wraps on 2.4mm
-26 gauge 8 wraps on 3mm

TwistedWires

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Could you fit a 2.4mm 35ga on 40ga clapton on your deck?

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think I could depending on the number of wraps. I have access to pre-made 26gauge clapton. I don't know the gauge of the wrapping wire though.

Last edited:

TwistedWires

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What ive noticed with the claptons is the coils resistance depends on the lowest resistance wire which would be the center wire. 7 wrap round 7/64 25ga comes out about the same as a clapton 25ga with 30ga wrapped on it and that also coiled 7 times..7 to .8 it changes a bit after tunning out hot spots but yeah try it out might be what youre lookin for. The claptons produce excellent flavor and great clouds imo i just order 100 feet of 40ga im ganna wrap onto the 25 and see how that works

TwistedWires

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh forgot 7/64 is 2.778mm if you use 30ga and wrap 36 to 40 you shoul get away with 1.8 to 1.9 with 6 wraps shouldnt take too long to fire up either

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
https://******/photos/75EZHrAr8MfgrDUaA
I think I could depending on the number of wraps.

I have a 0.9 ohm clapton on my Leakshow Mini. 2.4 mm 26 ga barely fits. Not too happy with the performance. Longer ranp up than my micro coils. It's really springy to work with and I didn't get the couls compressed together very well.

TwistedWires

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
75EZHrAr8MfgrDUaA

I have a 0.9 ohm clapton on my Leakshow Mini. 2.4 mm 26 ga barely fits. Not too happy with the performance. Longer ranp up than my micro coils. It's really springy to work with and I didn't get the couls compressed together very well.
Dang :/ i had a single .34 clapton on my freakshow and i wasnt impressed with the flavor. my ceramic wicks came in today.. Not too impressed. They dont keep the coils as juicey as id like.. 40ga came in too that s%#&s hard to work with! I also got some ribbon im goin to rough up with fine sand paper. Whats your take on ribbon coils?

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't even know what ribbon wire or ceramic wick look like!
I am really just a micro kathal cotton guy and I prefer single coils.

TwistedWires

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't even know what ribbon wire or ceramic wick look like!
I am really just a micro kathal cotton guy and I prefer single coils.
Lol yeah cant beat cotton. The mesh wicks suck on flavor too

Jasough

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This may be off topic but figure I would toss it in, I am a huge fan of twisting 28 gauge, then do 8 wraps around the magical blue screw driver, comes in around .6 to .8 depending on how tightly twisted the kanthol is. It provides great flavor, decent cloud, easy to build, and the coils are very durable and last. Im also a fan of just the good old fashion cotton.

TwistedWires

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Im also a fan of just the good old fashion cotton.

yeah i just get the 100% cotton balls from the store they last a very long time and provide excellent juice feeding. what i really love to is when vaping the derringer the condensation from the caps rains back down on the wicks and the cotton absorbs it very easily so every hit is moist and i rarely burn the wicks (wick burns usually occur when im dinking and mistake the moist wicks for juiced wicks lol) but yeah cotton rules!

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
yeah i just get the 100% cotton balls from the store they last a very long time and provide excellent juice feeding. what i really love to is when vaping the derringer the condensation from the caps rains back down on the wicks and the cotton absorbs it very easily so every hit is moist and i rarely burn the wicks (wick burns usually occur when im dinking and mistake the moist wicks for juiced wicks lol) but yeah cotton rules!
Look for organic cotton from a vape shop. Regular cotton may contain bleach and should be boiled and dried before use.

Jasough

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Look for organic cotton from a vape shop. Regular cotton may contain bleach and should be boiled and dried before use.
Lol, had a guy come to my shop yesterday complaining that his cotton was terrible, I asked him what he got and he said he just grabbed some cotton from his wife's make up box. Found out it was ordinary cotton, I've never tried it and don't want to but he told me it felt like he swallowed a porcupine. Got to make sure it's 100% organic, big bag from Walgreens lasted me over a year.
I don't like any over the other specialty cotton like cotton bacon or native wicks, the break in for them just ruins any flavor to me so I'm all organic all day.

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So what's the minimum number of wraps that you would accept on a coil for a flavor build? I notice that the stock coils that come with the Subtank Mini have 5 spaced wraps. I was always shooting for 7-10 on my kanthal micro coils..

Jasough

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So what's the minimum number of wraps that you would accept on a coil for a flavor build? I notice that the stock coils that come with the Subtank Mini have 5 spaced wraps. I was always shooting for 7-10 on my kanthal micro coils..

This is something that will depend entirely on you, on what gauge kanthol, how warm you like it and such. What I prefer to do is to stick around 8 wrap with 26 gauge and I almost always wrap around the magical blue screwdriver for a standard go to coil. That being said, I usually like to twist my kanthol, I will use 28 gauge, and twist it with a drill, and wrap it like 7 times. I love the twisted coils, they are sturdy, easy to build and produce great flavor and awesome clouds. Ive got one of my RDAs with a twisted coil thats probably 5 months old, as long as you keep it clean and change the cotton frequently and they will usually last forever!!

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is something that will depend entirely on you, on what gauge kanthol, how warm you like it and such. What I prefer to do is to stick around 8 wrap with 26 gauge and I almost always wrap around the magical blue screwdriver for a standard go to coil. That being said, I usually like to twist my kanthol, I will use 28 gauge, and twist it with a drill, and wrap it like 7 times. I love the twisted coils, they are sturdy, easy to build and produce great flavor and awesome clouds. Ive got one of my RDAs with a twisted coil thats probably 5 months old, as long as you keep it clean and change the cotton frequently and they will usually last forever!!
Thanks for the extremely coherent reply! My drill isn't variable speed; can I pulse it at the beginning and still make some decent twisted wire? What resistance do you end up with on your twisted 7 wrap 28g coil? Are you vaping a mech, variable, or both?

Last edited:

libbydude

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For the subtank I go back and forth between 5 wrap spaced and 6 wrap contact coils. 26awg 2.5 mm. I like the 5 wrap for mechs and the other for regulated.

For my drippers I use 7 wraps around 2 mm for 26 and 28. 24 awg I go 2.5 to 3mm.

No real science behind my methods. I just get a good vape.

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For the subtank I go back and forth between 5 wrap spaced and 6 wrap contact coils. 26awg 2.5 mm. I like the 5 wrap for mechs and the other for regulated.

For my drippers I use 7 wraps around 2 mm for 26 and 28. 24 awg I go 2.5 to 3mm.

No real science behind my methods. I just get a good vape.
Just wondering why you like a hotter coil on the tank than on your dripper.

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've gone to 2mm for both the subtank mini and my Cyclone RDA after reading the above posts. Better flavor for both and reduced spitting on the subtank mini which now has 28g 6 wraps coming in at 0.9 ohms. I don't see myself going back to larger than 2mm diameter anymore. Thanks to all for the input.

Edit: I had to revert to 26g on the subtank mini because it was vaping too hot for me with the thinner wire. 8 wraps on 2.5mm for 0.9 ohms. Running a 2mm diameter parallel in the Cyclone dripper and it's great.

Last edited:

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tend to make 2MM coils for my devices. I have tried 3MM, and if I am using 24 gauge I use 3MM, but for 26 gauge and above I usually use 2MM. Don't know why, but I like the flavour I get from all the devices with 2MM coils, so I just stick to that.

I have made even smaller, but find 2mm about the best for production and flavour.

VU Sponsors