Become a Patron!

XSTAR VC8 - I'm confused!

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Please take pity on me, I'm old and not electronics-savvy. My old(er) Nitecore Digicharger 4-bay recently started misbehaving, so I got an XSTAR VC8, thinking it would be a better charger, and since I sometimes have more than 4 batteries to charge, I thought it would save time to have the extra slots. Ha. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I put one single 18650 battery in there yesterday when I first got the charger, about 3:30. It just now (4:30 am the next day) finished charging. WTF?

My old Nitecore charger had a wall plug, and this one has a USB cable, so I'm sure it's operator error, but I need to be able to charge more than one battery per day! I had to go searching through my old vaping gear to find a wall wart to plug the USB cable into, and it's probably to small, right? Not enough power? What do I use to charge a battery in a couple of hours? The one I charged all night started out at 3.72 volts, so in my Nitecore charger, that should have taken no more than 1.5 to 2 hours. This took THIRTEEN hours.

I haven't played around pushing any buttons on the new charger, because frankly, I can't read the instructions until I find and buy a magnifying glass. The print is too small to see. I tried watching a couple of YouTube videos, but those guys assume I know what I'm doing in the first place, and I don't.

HELP? Please? I have another battery to charge this morning, so I'm back to using the old Nitecore 2-slot charger I got in 2015, that has little yellow flashing lights, and I thought THAT one took forever to charge. Compared to the XSTAR, it seems lightning-fast now.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Probably a combination of a couple of things happening. You should get a wall wart that is minimum of 2 amps, but more is better. Also the default charge rate at turn on may be set for 0.25 amps. So get a more powerful wall wart and breakout the magnifier and read how to set the charge rate to 0.5 amps.

To me it's silly for an 8 bay charger to run off USB, it should plug into the wall directly so you can use all the bays at least using a half amp.

I don't have that charger, so I'm taking some guesses here.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks! I don't have a magnifier, but maybe I can find the manual online and zoom in on it? I'll try that.

I had originally posted my plea for help in the battery charger section, then noticed there'd been no activity there since September '21, so I re-posted it over here. I MEANT to put up a second post over in the charger section saying I was reposting it here, but it was apparently too early and I forgot to hit the post button. Now there are two threads. I'm such a dumbass sometimes, and especially when I haven't had enough coffee. šŸ„“

I don't know how to find the correct wall-wart or whatever I need to plug this into. I've been using that same Nitecore charger forever. Can someone help me with a name or a link or something to get me started on my search? I'd really appreciate it.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

This is what you need.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, fellow cranky old fart! :) I saw your other post and it's ordered now. Many, MANY thanks for your help! I used to be kind of "up" on vape stuff, but found my sweet spot a few years ago and haven't been keeping up, so the vaping world is passing me by. What ELSE is new? LOL!

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well... I'm 61 (does that qualify as old fart?) Anyway, don't know much about chargers (doing just fine with my simple Nitecore Q2... two bay LED not fancy but works fine) Just wanted to mention... had a audio/visual device that works off USB and had issues. Seems it needs higher amp than the USB thing I was using. Had this other one that was higher amp and then it worked fine (had done a search and that was mentioned) Odd that a battery charger would even use USB (and not it's own dedicated power adapter) I will assume it needed 2 amps (can others confirm that)

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yup, you can be an old fart, too! ;) I just never noticed that this particular charger didn't come with some sort of adapter. It did say it had a USB cable, but I guess I didn't realize it was ONLY a USB cable. Anyway, the only adapters I have are from when I first started vaping and had a couple of teeny little pen-style internal battery mods that only needed a .5 amp charge, and that just isn't enough to charge an 18650 battery, much less several. The correct adapter is on the way, though, and should be here in a few days.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
One thing to keep in mind is power strips that also have USB... there are some really good ones out there.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have limited space, but that's a good idea. My charger is sitting on the end of the counter top, by the coffee pot. No room for a power strip there, so I just need a plug-in adapter thing, which is what I ordered.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
its reccomended that you charge 18650 batteries at 1amp on an external charger as overcharging or speed charging will or can cause damage. however saying that,my batteries get charged at 1,5 to 2 amp and for 4 yrs, i have never had a problem. i never let mt batteries get fully empty however experts say i should let them do that.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Even though I agree that "slow charge" is better (like 1 amp max) there is an issue where the device (USB) can't keep up. Better to have a supply that can handle more amps than not enough (it won't draw more than what is needed) Keep this in mind. Even if you only need 0.5 amp it's not an issue if you use a supply that can do 2 amps (it will only draw what it needs)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have limited space, but that's a good idea. My charger is sitting on the end of the counter top, by the coffee pot. No room for a power strip there, so I just need a plug-in adapter thing, which is what I ordered.
Hiya Lannie. Glad you got your charger issue resolved. Well at least as soon as you get your high powered wall wart. btw I am still daily using the original Trustfire 2 bay charger I got 7 years ago for under $10. It has 120 volt cord.

Last edited:

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just wanted to mention... the 2 amp USB charger I have was from a job I had in the past (hotel job... old lady that did "lost and found" retired... nobody wanted to do this job so I offered to take over (was extra work and got no extra pay for doing it) but... scored so many things (power adapters, ice chests, rain suits, clothing, ect.) She left a box of electronic stuff (actually two boxes) 3 years of stuff LOL. I would tell my friends... do you need an adapter or power thing? If you are willing to untangle all these cords, help yourself. Ended up throwing most of it out but scored a few gems along the way. 2 amp USB adapter was a total score.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hiya Lannie. Glad you got your charger issue resolved. Well at least as soon as you get your high powered wall wart. btw I am still daily using the original Trustfire 2 bay charger I got 7 years ago for under $10. It has 120 volt cord.

I still have my Nitecore, same type, two slots and a wall plug. It's my overflow, or backup, charger because it only holds two, and it only has flashing idiot lights, no display, but it works. The reason I wanted the bigger charger is I have 3 triple battery mods and 1 double battery mod, then all the singles, and I vape from everything all day. Some days I have a lot of batteries to charge, and with only the 4-bay charger (and one of the bays not behaving right now), I sometimes have a line of batteries waiting to be charged. And then there are the cats. 'Nuff said. So I got the 8-bay charger. I think it will be OK.

As far as the charging rate, the new charger is SUPPOSED to be smarter than I am, and it will supposedly read the type of battery, how much it's discharged so it knows how fast or slow to charge it, how much power to use, and some other stuff I don't even understand and will probably never use. I hate it when my gadgets are smarter than I am, but sometimes it's necessary, LOL! I would just like to be able to charge a battery in a couple hours, instead of one battery taking 13 hours. That was insane! At that rate, it would take me a week to charge a day's worth of batteries, LOL! I knew that couldn't be right.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
its reccomended that you charge 18650 batteries at 1amp on an external charger as overcharging or speed charging will or can cause damage. however saying that,my batteries get charged at 1,5 to 2 amp and for 4 yrs, i have never had a problem. i never let mt batteries get fully empty however experts say i should let them do that.

That sounds like old information, the running the batteries to empty advice, I mean. Back 20-some-odd years ago, I worked at a Motorola dealership that sold and serviced radios and cell phones (the kind that just made phone calls), and those batteries (nickel metal hydride, nickel cadmium, I forget the different types) would form a "memory" if they weren't discharged all the way. If you used them to half charge and recharged from there, after a few times, they'd read empty and still have half a charge. Anyway, from what I understand, the lithium ion batteries don't form a "memory" level, so you can run them down to whatever level and recharge and it doesn't affect their performance. Other than they get old, but that happens to all of us, eventually.

So take all that with a grain of salt, because my information is an old memory, and it's from more than 20 years ago, and I might not have known what I was talking about even back then, but I don't think you have to discharge lithium ion batteries all the way down like the older type batteries. If that's wrong, someone correct me, please! :)

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yep... NiCad batteries sucked. Too many issues (although I did get some new ones for my craftsman drill/screwdriver that has lots of torque) Anyway, slow charge (in general) is better but OK to charge at 1 amp (2 amp should only be for "emergency" when you just can't wait. Have you seen battery mooch's videos? here's a good one:

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yup, I'm a big fan of ol' Mooch. I always try to follow his advice. Sometimes I say something and my husband says, "Oh, you're being a ninny" and I say, "BUT MOOCH SAID!" LOL! I take very good care of my batteries, though, and they last me for years before they start acting old and slow, then I get new ones. I'm just a Mod Womper, though, not a "Cloud Chucker," so my batteries aren't used that hard. .45 ohm coils and 33W max (even on the big mods). It works for me. :)

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
YAY! The adapter's here! The adapter's here! And danged if the charger doesn't work perfectly now that it's getting some juice! LOL! When I had it plugged into that little .5 amp adapter, the displays kept flashing (all the way across, both screens) with a string of 8's, like when it first powers up. Then those would go out and it would read the battery in the one slot for a few seconds, then back to all the 8's, and just kept going back and forth. I guess it was trying to figure out if it was even ON. ROFL! Maybe that's why it took 13 hours to charge that one battery.

But now, it's working fine, no 8's flashing every few seconds, and I put one battery in, adjusted the current down to 1 amp, and it's charging fine.

You guys have been so kind not to say it out loud, but trust me, I DO realize I made another one of my famous "I-D-10-T" errors when I first got this, but now that I have everything properly set up, I'm a happy camper again. :bliss:

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's so wonderful to now have access to as many batteries as I want! I used to have to schedule which ones needed to go in the charger and which ones would have to wait, and vape accordingly, but NOW, I just vape whichever mod I want, whenever I want, as much as I want, and if a battery gets low, there's an open slot waiting for it! It's so liberating! LOL! It doesn't take much to make me happy, I guess! That's why Rich married me - I'm definitely not "high maintenance." Get me a $30 charger and I'm walking on air! ROFL!

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
YAY! The adapter's here! The adapter's here! And danged if the charger doesn't work perfectly now that it's getting some juice! LOL! When I had it plugged into that little .5 amp adapter, the displays kept flashing (all the way across, both screens) with a string of 8's, like when it first powers up. Then those would go out and it would read the battery in the one slot for a few seconds, then back to all the 8's, and just kept going back and forth. I guess it was trying to figure out if it was even ON. ROFL! Maybe that's why it took 13 hours to charge that one battery.

But now, it's working fine, no 8's flashing every few seconds, and I put one battery in, adjusted the current down to 1 amp, and it's charging fine.

You guys have been so kind not to say it out loud, but trust me, I DO realize I made another one of my famous "I-D-10-T" errors when I first got this, but now that I have everything properly set up, I'm a happy camper again. :bliss:
I had been reading but never had anything to add that wasn't added. So glad to hear your good to go šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ‘šŸ»

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
And this thing is BLAZING fast, just using 1 amp! I don't have time to put more than one or two in at a time and they're charged before I know it. My old one must have been really slow, like me in the morning, LOL!

It seems to have a memory as to what charge level I want? I don't remember reading that in the destructions, but the first few batteries I put in there, I set to 1000 mah, and now it sets it there automatically when I put one in. Cool! Less button presses for me. ;)

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't know if I'll ever get used to how much faster this charger is, even at 1 amp. It's empty more than it has a battery in it. I probably could have got the 4-bay one. If I had it on 3 amps, I could probably just stand there a few minutes and wait for the battery to fully charge, LOL! Yowza! I love this thing! :inlove:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
1 amp is easier on the battery and plenty fast. I usually use half an amp to charge my batteries which is even easier on the batteries. Once in a while if you gotta have it fast then you can crank it up.

Hope you and Rich are doing well. Just about planting season up there, I hope all goes well on the farm as well.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
A 4-bay would have been fine. I agree 1 amp is all you need (I mean per battery) ) 0.5 amp (per battery) is ideal. Sounds like you got a really good charger (odd that it doesn't have a dedicated power supply... are you sure that's not that option)?

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just got the charger brand (XStar) that everyone thought was so great a few years back. I got the bigger one because I thought maybe I'd use it, but heck, I never fill it up. Anyway, that's all I know. It needed that separate wall wart to work properly, and I wish it had come with it, but I have it now, so it works great.

Is 1 amp "too much" to use? I could back it down to .5 if that's better for the batteries. I have plenty of slots, LOL!

And yes, Gopherbyrd, it is finally spring! Rich and I are both happy to say goodbye to winter. I won't be planting anything in the garden until May, to be on the safe side, but the grass is greening up and the days are getting warmer, YAY! We had a spring snowstorm the other day and got 4 or 5 inches, but it's melting fast and almost gone this morning. I lost my best milk cow this winter, but I found a yearling heifer to try to fill her shoes, and she just arrived yesterday, so we're still getting to know each other. She's a sweetie, and I love her to bits already.

Charged batteries, green grass, and a new baby cow... life is good! :)

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
I just got the charger brand (XStar) that everyone thought was so great a few years back. I got the bigger one because I thought maybe I'd use it, but heck, I never fill it up. Anyway, that's all I know. It needed that separate wall wart to work properly, and I wish it had come with it, but I have it now, so it works great.

Is 1 amp "too much" to use? I could back it down to .5 if that's better for the batteries. I have plenty of slots, LOL!

And yes, Gopherbyrd, it is finally spring! Rich and I are both happy to say goodbye to winter. I won't be planting anything in the garden until May, to be on the safe side, but the grass is greening up and the days are getting warmer, YAY! We had a spring snowstorm the other day and got 4 or 5 inches, but it's melting fast and almost gone this morning. I lost my best milk cow this winter, but I found a yearling heifer to try to fill her shoes, and she just arrived yesterday, so we're still getting to know each other. She's a sweetie, and I love her to bits already.

Charged batteries, green grass, and a new baby cow... life is good! :)
enyoy life whilst it is good. i am moving next week to my new house with a 118 x 6ft trees being delivered for the landscapers to plant and 2 removalist vans arriving on wednesday, i womder if they think lol life is good.
if i hear them complain i will smile and suck on my luxe2, lol.
and yes i would go with .5 charging.
enjoy.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Roger-dodger, .5 amps it is! :)

But now I have another question. My old Nitecore charger charged to 4.20 volts and then said "ALL" on the display when the batteries were full. I know they weren't still at 4.2, because if I accidentally put a freshly charged one back in (instead of putting it in the mod and the depleted battery in the charger) it would read somewhere around 4.16 to 4.17-ish. From what Mooch has said, that's what they SHOULD be at when fully charged, between 4.10 and 4.15 preferably, not all the way to 4.20. Right?

So the XSTAR charges them to 4.20, then starts backing off, but I can SEE it's backing off because it's constantly reading the battery's voltage as it sits there. If I catch it on the way up, at 4.15-ish, I'll pull the battery then. But sometimes I'm busy and don't see it, so I find it reading "FULL" and flashing a voltage number between 4.20 down to 4.13 or so. None of this concerns me, except on my married sets, the fully charged voltage is sometimes not the same when I pull them, so when they're ready to be charged again and I put them back in the charger, sometimes they're up to a tenth of a volt apart. Like one is 3.78 and one is 3.88 or something similar. I've only charged my triple set once, and I confess I didn't pay attention to the numbers on that one at the time.

But is that a problem with the paired batteries, to have the starting voltage (when they go in the mod) be different? I thought I had read that they should be the same. The mods discharge them the same, because in the old charger, they always read exactly the same, or only a hundredth of a volt difference when I put them in to charge. I've got a Battlestar double battery mod and three Wismec RX200 mods that all have married sets. My other mods are all singles, so they're fine, I'm just worried about the sets.

I'm probably worrying for nothing, but I thought I'd ask, in case I'm doing something wrong.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Correction to above. I should have said, the mods discharge them EQUALLY. That's much clearer.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Roger-dodger, .5 amps it is! :)

But now I have another question. My old Nitecore charger charged to 4.20 volts and then said "ALL" on the display when the batteries were full. I know they weren't still at 4.2, because if I accidentally put a freshly charged one back in (instead of putting it in the mod and the depleted battery in the charger) it would read somewhere around 4.16 to 4.17-ish. From what Mooch has said, that's what they SHOULD be at when fully charged, between 4.10 and 4.15 preferably, not all the way to 4.20. Right?

So the XSTAR charges them to 4.20, then starts backing off, but I can SEE it's backing off because it's constantly reading the battery's voltage as it sits there. If I catch it on the way up, at 4.15-ish, I'll pull the battery then. But sometimes I'm busy and don't see it, so I find it reading "FULL" and flashing a voltage number between 4.20 down to 4.13 or so. None of this concerns me, except on my married sets, the fully charged voltage is sometimes not the same when I pull them, so when they're ready to be charged again and I put them back in the charger, sometimes they're up to a tenth of a volt apart. Like one is 3.78 and one is 3.88 or something similar. I've only charged my triple set once, and I confess I didn't pay attention to the numbers on that one at the time.

But is that a problem with the paired batteries, to have the starting voltage (when they go in the mod) be different? I thought I had read that they should be the same. The mods discharge them the same, because in the old charger, they always read exactly the same, or only a hundredth of a volt difference when I put them in to charge. I've got a Battlestar double battery mod and three Wismec RX200 mods that all have married sets. My other mods are all singles, so they're fine, I'm just worried about the sets.

I'm probably worrying for nothing, but I thought I'd ask, in case I'm doing something wrong.
All just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth. 1st, not doing any thing wrong. 2nd, when talking about charging all the way to 4.2 AND .5 vs 1 amp charging, these are both for longevity of the battery life. Meaning if you charge to 4.18 vs 4.20, and if you charge at .5 vs 1 amp, your battery might last 5 years instead of 4. Not something I am worried about. So I have been charging a group of 16 18650's all the way to 4.2 and at 1 amp for almost 6 years now, and still performing as they should. If they die tomorrow, I will gladly buy more, and except the trade off for all the years of having them last in the mod as long as they could, and waiting half the time for them to charge šŸ˜Š

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
OK, thanks, so I could go ahead and do 1 amp if I want, and not worry about the slightly different voltage levels in the married sets. I like NOT worrying better than worrying, so I will not worry. :)

Some of my batteries are at least 4 or 5 years old now, but they're in good shape and they perform well, so I keep using them. When they get to the point that they only last a couple hours on a charge (I vape a LOT), I consign them to hubby, who's a tootle puffer ;) and he gets more time out of them. And I get new ones. :)

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I like NOT worrying better than worrying, so I will not worry. :)
I would go with that... maybe you are overthinking this. I made some mistakes in my early days of charging (18650 single at a time) with my simple Nitecore Q2 (just LEDS... no way to get info) I got confused about which side to use when charging a single battery... was using the right slot that charges at 2 amps. Now I realize the left slot does 1 amp (much better) Anyway, I also have a "married pair" for my Vaoresso Revenger X mod (love that mod) With two batteries, my charger does both at 1 amp (it is not capable of doing less) Sure (in theory) 0.5 amp might be better but not a big deal. Worrying about 1/10 volt seems silly to me. It's kind of like going all the way across town to save 4 cents a gallon on gas (that cost $4 a gallon) You are really only saving 1% (and using more than that to drive to the other gas station) Just a metaphor to keep things in perspective.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
MAYBE I'm overthinking this? LOL! I overthink everything!

The gas thing hit home. I remember thinking how silly my grandmother was with her coupons. When I was a teenager, I'd drive her, in her car, thank God, all over town to get ten bucks worth of groceries, but one store had a 5-cent coupon on one thing, and another store had 50 cents off something else, and so on, and it would take the whole DAY just for one stinkin' bag's worth of groceries. I could have gone by myself to one store and been back in 15 minutes. So I get it. ;) I will officially quit micromanaging my batteries. There are plenty of other things around here for me to micromanage, ROFL!

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A little late to the party and not sure if it'll help. I got that charger as well and then found out in order to use the max charging with it that it requires a high power usb brick. I went with the anker power port speed 2. The plug was oriented the way I needed for the socket and went with the dual port model so I could charge my phone off the same block. It's 39w and both usb ports are qc 3.0. (Some charger blocks especially multiport only offer 1x qc 3.0 port and the rest standard usb ports). Paired it with I think a ugreen (not sure brand matters) usb to usb c high speed charging cable with a 90 degree right angle type c connection where it plugs to the back of the vc8. Seems to work out a bit more convenient, I was concerned having that much length of a straight plug hanging out the back of the usb c. Worried it might get caught, bent or otherwise damage the plug. All in all I think the two were like $35 usd.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What @Synphul said... don't know much about these but that was something I mentioned. Some of these products are great and vary versatile (would like to learn more about them myself)
Ironically, the higher power USB thing I had was from "lost and found" at a hotel job I had. We would turn in items and if they were not claimed (many people that stayed at the hotel/vacation homes) they were ours. I scored so much stuff (had to wait 60 days) Got ice chests, rain jackets, lot's of electronic stuff (actually had a box full of power adapters, ect) The old lady that was in charge of this finally retired.... nobody wanted to deal with it so I volunteered (with no pay increase) but I got so much stuff (would come home with a huge trash bag of stuff... my wife was tripping... did you steal this... no lost and found, no one else put their name on it... there was so much, especially at the vacation homes job) Once I found a half full styrofoam container with "Omaha meats" they just left behind (hard to keep cold when you are traveling all over the country (this job was near Yosemite Nat Park) Good times! Lot's of ice cream too but I was lactose intolerant so gave that to other employees) Sorry for the long story, but that USB charger was 2 amp (rare back then) and was really good quality.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A little late to the party and not sure if it'll help. I got that charger as well and then found out in order to use the max charging with it that it requires a high power usb brick. I went with the anker power port speed 2. The plug was oriented the way I needed for the socket and went with the dual port model so I could charge my phone off the same block. It's 39w and both usb ports are qc 3.0. (Some charger blocks especially multiport only offer 1x qc 3.0 port and the rest standard usb ports). Paired it with I think a ugreen (not sure brand matters) usb to usb c high speed charging cable with a 90 degree right angle type c connection where it plugs to the back of the vc8. Seems to work out a bit more convenient, I was concerned having that much length of a straight plug hanging out the back of the usb c. Worried it might get caught, bent or otherwise damage the plug. All in all I think the two were like $35 usd.

Thank you very much for all the information, but I have NO clue what any of that meant! :huh: I refer you back to the first line in my opening post:

"Please take pity on me, I'm old and not electronics-savvy."

But it's OK! I am comfortable in my ignorance of modern gadgets. The charger works. I wanted something to charge my batteries, and it does, and that's all I need. :)

VU Sponsors