Become a Patron!

Yuck...just burnt my wick

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Lost track of my pulls, went dry, and vaped the fires of hell. Look okay, I get it, I am a little shot out. I know when to drip but once in a while I loose track. I wonder if a vw mod with a setable drip-squonk indicator would be feasible. Idk like set it to tone after puff indicator registers a certain amount of puffs? Like maybe something you could set so you would hear a beep after however many puffs you tell it to. A reminder to drip or squonk. Most of my rdas give up 8 to 12 pulls. I don't know just thinking out loud and sharing at the same time. Trying to wash the taste a burnt rayon out of my mouth.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
After that sumbitch beeped or dinged or screeched at me about a dozen times, it'd go sailing, and I don't mean the Christopher Cross way. Noise just ain't my thang. ?

But....you could put your RDA on a temp control device. Coil/cotton gets too hot, you just don't get vapor.

Just hard to find those nice tubes with TC. It's a shame.

Hope you know I'm just teasing ya. I've just recently starting buying some mesh RDAs, and a dry hit on one of those will wake yo ass right up! Then you hope to goodness that your cold glass of lemonade ain't empty.

Listen to me, such a redneck. I just woke up from a four-hour nap and I am feeling a little feistier than usual. :)

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Any Steam Crave Aromamizer fans here?

You ever get your coils and wick set up all perfect, fill the tank up, and start vaping away only to realize that you forgot to turn the juice flow back on?
I have:(

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Lost track of my pulls, went dry, and vaped the fires of hell. Look okay, I get it, I am a little shot out. I know when to drip but once in a while I loose track. I wonder if a vw mod with a setable drip-squonk indicator would be feasible. Idk like set it to tone after puff indicator registers a certain amount of puffs? Like maybe something you could set so you would hear a beep after however many puffs you tell it to. A reminder to drip or squonk. Most of my rdas give up 8 to 12 pulls. I don't know just thinking out loud and sharing at the same time. Trying to wash the taste a burnt rayon out of my mouth.

With companies making talking mods, strobe light mods, fidget spinner mods, etc.. you would figure that they would eventually think of an alarm on the puff counter.
One that could be toggled on or off wouldn't hurt.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
With companies making talking mods, strobe light mods, fidget spinner mods, etc.. you would figure that they would eventually think of an alarm on the puff counter.
One that could be toggled on or off wouldn't hurt.
See that's exactly what I am talking about. But @nadalama is right a couple of my mods are said to have decent temp control. I should at least try it. I am however an old dog and new tricks and all.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
When squonking, use atties that drain - then just do a fresh squonk with each draw

Ah, satisfying and tasty every single time

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
See that's exactly what I am talking about. But @nadalama is right a couple of my mods are said to have decent temp control. I should at least try it. I am however an old dog and new tricks and all.

If you go the TC route I would suggest trying stainless first.
316L round wire will work.

You need more wraps than kanthal.

With a dual coil biuld, 24ga SS316L 10 wraps each
I always stay above 0.2ohms but shoot to get as closest to 0.25 as possible.

The good thing is if you don't like it in TC mode you can switch it over to power mode and instead of it killing you (like with nickel or titanium) it will work great.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
When squonking, use atties that drain - then just do a fresh squonk with each draw

Ah, satisfying and tasty every single time
I am not the squonkaholic that you are but I do love my pulse. Yes with Apocalypse I never get a dry pull. Over squonking is difficult as well. I have og Liftbox but have never overcame the learning curve with the siphon system and it just does not suit me. Now if I owned a good high quality squonk things may be different.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

The good thing is if you don't like it in TC mode you can switch it over to power mode and instead of it killing you (like with nickel or titanium) it will work great.
I do not think I have 24agw. I do have 26agw for sure. I have some all stainless steel simple Clapton wire too. I did tc when I first started. It was my first box mod a Totally Wicked 60 watt tc kit. It used those real common coil heads. The ones that fit almost every older subtank. The kit came with ti coils. I just could not get a good vape and it it was too hot or cold outside it almost did not work at all. I guess my early experience put me off. I think I will try again. As I mentioned I have mods that are rumored to have decent temp control.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Dry hits relate to learning to vape like bruises and abrasions relate to learning to ride a bicycle. I know there will always be those who refuse to accept this basic truth, but lucky for me I don't have to feel their pain, and, instead, I get to enjoy schadenfreude in addition to getting an enjoyable vape so, double the pleasure for me...

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

:D
3aa9c065542197ade1c305c91fe5c514.jpg

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I do not think I have 24agw. I do have 26agw for sure. I have some all stainless steel simple Clapton wire too. I did tc when I first started. It was my first box mod a Totally Wicked 60 watt tc kit. It used those real common coil heads. The ones that fit almost every older subtank. The kit came with ti coils. I just could not get a good vape and it it was too hot or cold outside it almost did not work at all. I guess my early experience put me off. I think I will try again. As I mentioned I have mods that are rumored to have decent temp control.

If you have 26ga you are good to go. :)
The all stainless clapton wire may be even better.;)

The coil heads from way back were mostly nickel (Ni200)
Making your own nickel coils is crazy.
You have to do like a 15 wrap single coil to get 0.05ohms because Ni200 is non resistance (NR) wire.
I tried Ni200 in my kanger subtanks and in an RDA back in the day but never liked it.
It has an odd taste to me.
For me the stainless wire was a huge improvement over Ni200

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
If you have 26ga you are good to go. :)
The all stainless clapton wire may be even better.;)

The coil heads from way back were mostly nickel (Ni200)
Making your own nickel coils is crazy.
You have to do like a 15 wrap single coil to get 0.05ohms because Ni200 is non resistance (NR) wire.
I tried Ni200 in my kanger subtanks and in an RDA back in the day but never liked it.
It has an odd taste to me.
For me the stainless wire was a huge improvement over Ni200

I think some of us would say 26ga stainless is about the best wire to have, if your selection is limited. It makes a damn good coil wrapped in parallel, and if your Clapton wire is stainless, you could make staged coils, which to me are the cat's pajamas. Just need some kinda stainless for temp control.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I think some of us would say 26ga stainless is about the best wire to have, if your selection is limited. It makes a damn good coil wrapped in parallel, and if your Clapton wire is stainless, you could make staged coils, which to me are the cat's pajamas. Just need some kinda stainless for temp control.
Yes it does. I think I heard @thecromwell say he used 26ga parallel @ 10 wraps in the Wasp nano. Well when I got mine I. Copied him and that is the build I put in. I carried that over to my dual coil radar's as well so yeah very comfortable with my simple wire build. But yeah I might as well try it. I will let everyone know how I like to after I check it out for a minute. Thank you all and hope all have a great week.

VU Sponsors