Become a Patron!

1st build on an rda

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just got my 1st rda. It is the mad hatter. I have 28g kanthol. Was looking to do a duel build coming out to about .3 to .5. Any suggestions on # of wraps? Also, oxidizing the kantol? Is this just buring the oils off?

Barkt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If its your first time building, assuming the rest of your equipment is safe, I'd still shoot more for the .5 ohms than the .3 . You'll always want to rebuild and try something new later, so go with the "safer" or at least less extreme build first.

If you're shooting for .5 ohms with a dual coil build, you'll need to wrap two 1 ohm coils. Its hard to tell you how many wraps without knowing what diameter you're wrapping at. So, pick your inner diameter, find a drill bit or screwdriver to wrap around and plug the variables into Steam Engine. This will tell you how many wraps you need on each coil. So wrap, then put them in your RDA

Now, before firing, check your ohms. If you have a regulated device with short protection you can technically (but still shouldn't) skip this step. If you have a mech you REALLY need to check it on an ohm reader first before firing it. A short on a mech will not be fun.

When you check the ohms, supposing you followed the steam engine correctly, you should at least come close to what you were aiming for. Being + or - .1 ohm is OK, but if its really far off of what you were aiming for it means something is wrong. Make sure no wires are shorting against your deck and that your post screws are snug.

Once you've done all this, its time to dry fire the coils. This will serve two purposes. First, it will burn off any oil from the wire which will taste like shit. Second, it will let you see if your coil is heating evenly. It should, like Neunerball said, heat evenly from the middle. If you see that it isn't, get a pair of needle nose pliers (or preferably ceramic tipped tweezers if you have them). Fire the coil, let it glow, RELEASE the firing button and then gently squeeze the coil. Repeat two or three times and your coil should be burning nice and even.

If you have any other questions, ask first. Someone on here is always happy to help, and its better to wait half an hour for an answer than to rush ahead and end up with a problem.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm takin it slow and safe:) if it takes me days to get this right before I fire it, so be it. I do have an ohm reader, and I will be using an istick 50w. Once I get it built, I will post a pic before I try to fire

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Either that deck is tiny or the diameter of your coils are fairly large. Seeing as how your airhole is fixed to the bottom it would be a good idea to center the coils. You can do this by leaving a little leg room before you tighten the post down them simply move them at will . Hows it hitting? Dud you leave them seperated like that on purpose?

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nope, just kinda went on that way. I have not fired it yet, just gettin some ideas and checking stuff out. I guess u would want the coils more over the air holes huh?

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nope, just kinda went on that way. I have not fired it yet, just gettin some ideas and checking stuff out. I guess u would want the coils more over the air holes huh?
Yep, over the air flow slots. Look up center post builds on Youtube.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yea, I gotta watch some vids. Tried to pull em over a bit and broke one from the neg post. Gotta start over anyway

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just as a hint, wrap the coils very tight, use a 2.5 or 3mm screw driver. For RDA coils you want them tight, look up microcoils on youtube as well.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Im struggling with the mm thing. I got a 1/8 inch screw driver I think. That's just under 3mm right?

Barkt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Im struggling with the mm thing. I got a 1/8 inch screw driver I think. That's just under 3mm right?
www.steam-engine.org has a button underneath the Diameter field. If you click it it will open up a menu of about 30 different fractions. Click your bit size and it will fill it in with the exact diameter in decimal form
69d711d12465025992026a949ae9485b.jpg

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ok, still gonna watch some how to vids before I try, just wondering if these numbers seem close to on par.
7/64 bit. 2.75 mm

Leg length-if thats from center neg post to center pos post, then it s 6.7 mm

Calculator says 4.61 wraps=.98ohm per

Or 5 full wraps=1.07 per coil

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just wrap some coils up and throw it on the meter. Youll eventually get the feel for you builds.

Barkt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok, still gonna watch some how to vids before I try, just wondering if these numbers seem close to on par.
7/64 bit. 2.75 mm

Leg length-if thats from center neg post to center pos post, then it s 6.7 mm

Calculator says 4.61 wraps=.98ohm per

Or 5 full wraps=1.07 per coil
Leg length is the distance between the coil and the post. So each coil has two "legs". Probably somewhere between 3-5mm. Its a measurement you can sort of guesstimate. All you need to be sure of is that the legs are the same length on both coils so that they heat evenly.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
You've gotten some awesome advice here, if i may add a lil as well. Try and pull the wraps against each other while you're wrapping them, that way they're touching before you toss em on the deck. Before you take them off your screwdriver (or drill bit) hold one leg and pull the other with a pair of pliers to get any slack out. It'll take a little practice but it's a feel you'll get used to. Also, when using just a single strand of kanthal make sure you don't over tighten the post screws or you can clip the lead on the wire while you're adjusting the coil. Make sure no part of the coil is touching any part of the deck or posts, then fire it a couple times. Once the whole coil has heated up some it will stiffen and will be much more agreeable. Above all: Be patient with yourself!! Everything about building will become easier and more fun the more you do it. Nobody wraps a perfect coil their first time, so have fun with it! Good luck!!

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It is alotta great advice and I do appreciate it a ton:) I do feel my knowledge of what im doing has grown a ton, unfortunately my skills have not:( I'll post a pick of what was my 4th try. Although it is better than my 1st I feel, it still looks like something a 5 th grader put together I feel (or maybe even worse) does everyone struggle this bad in the beginning, or do I just flat out SUCK?

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Try to wrap your coils tighter. Then make it so your legs go directly in the post holes. That way then dont open up like that when you move them. It helps if one leg is longer than the other. Ive done some builds several times in order to get them right. Practice makes perfect .

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ill keep tryin, although at this rate I should've got 50000 ft of kanthal, not 50:)

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Make sure you test your build on the ohm meter with the Atty completely assembled before trying to fire it for the first time. Even if all reads well without the top cap installed, if your coil happens to touch the top cap when you put it on it'll ground out and you'll have a bad time on a mech. Best case scenario, the coil pops. Worst case, the battery pops too.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Any progress?

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Did two more last nite. Gettin better at bending the legs to get the coil centered. Here is s couple of my new problems.
1) im not getting the ohms I think I should. Tried 4 and 5 wraps around 2.75mm with 28g. Steam engine said this should get me around .5 im getting more like .8 or .9
2) ohms are jumping around when I unscew and rescrew the addy to the ohms meter and to my istick 50w
3) both coils will not heat up at the same time when I test fire. On both build s the coils looked to heat up nicely from the center of the coil, but one coil clearly heated up before the other one

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Try pinching the one that heats up faster. Also, their distance from the post has to be the same.
If the ohms fluctuate could mean screws are not tight enough or wire is not secure under screw. What i like to do is while on the ohm reader i wiggle the leads a little and if the ohms read the same and dont move around them its ok to clip them. I never bothered with that coil wrapping calculator, its mostly trial and error, constantly using the ohms reader for me.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ok thanx man. I'll try those tricks the next time I get a chance to build em again. I think I kept pinching the one that was heating up slower. As far as being the same distance from the post, they seam pretty close to me, but im just holding them with the coils in the drill bits and eye ballin it? So should u try only 3 wraps per coil with this build? That seams like way to few from what I read from others? Btw, im frustrated as FUCK, but I won't give up:)

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Tbh using 28g for me is only Good twisted or paralleled, what re your chances of getting some 26g wire?

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I could check at local shop, see if they have it. Maybe later today. Do u have a recommended build if I can get some?

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You have an overlap on the top coil. Do less, try 5. The bottom coil looks ok you can lock those coils up by simply pinching.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
O no, you dont. Nvm haha. Have you been able to vape from that?

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For some reason put it back on ohm reader to wick it, and now it reads .6 reading same on my istick. Pinched the coils a little tighter, vaping like a champ I think:) how long do you guys usually go before re building? Hopefully like 10 years:) lol j/k

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ive had em last me months but i clean em using an unconventional method involving a mech mod and running water.
Id say maybe a couple of weeks and some rewicking every day or 2, depending how gunky it gets.
The bright side to reeiring is you get the practice.

CDZVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Imo, if you made coils using 24 gauge you would have an easier time wrapping and keeping your coils neater.

7 wraps of 24g on a 1/8 drill bit will come out to approximately .35 Ohms.

Make sure to take your time and double check yourself and the Ohms etc... before firing.

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Looks a lot like my first few times trying to build lol. I've never built on the Mad Hatter but you may want to try and find something a little bit simpler to start off with.... Maybe something that has a single coil airflow option and dual posts like the Magma (you can get a clone for $15-20), when I was first starting out I'd be rebuilding my magma every day or two just searching for the perfect coil and improving my skillz lol.

It's a lot easier to try and build one good coil than two perfectly matched coils. Plus with the range of wattage you have I've found I can build at a higher point on my single coils - 1.0-1.2, push the wattage a bit higher (like 20-25W) and get fantastic vapor production and flavor.

dingo1799

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i want to make fun of you, but i cant, because my first week building coils looked 10x worse than that. lol. keep at it bud, youll get there. lots of good info on this thread, just remember, kanthal is cheap!

something else that'll help a new builder, go to a michaels craft store, and pick up a wire coiling gizmo, its $11, and will have your coils looking perfect, first time.
http://www.michaels.com/artistic-wire-coiling-gizmo-deluxe-econo-winder/10221749.html

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm not exactly sure why, but I only want to do a duel build. Good thing for me, I've got tons of other stuff to vape while I work at it:) another question, im able to bump the watts way up when vaping this. Not understanding it. I.e- on my kanger sub I have the .5 coil in, and I can only go up to about 25w before it starts to get to be too hot of a vape for me. I was vaping this build (.6) at 40 watts, not hot at all? Is this cuz its a duel coil versus a single coil?

dingo1799

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not exactly sure why, but I only want to do a duel build. Good thing for me, I've got tons of other stuff to vape while I work at it:) another question, im able to bump the watts way up when vaping this. Not understanding it. I.e- on my kanger sub I have the .5 coil in, and I can only go up to about 25w before it starts to get to be too hot of a vape for me. I was vaping this build (.6) at 40 watts, not hot at all? Is this cuz its a duel coil versus a single coil?

Yup, you've got 2x the wire that takes 2x the power to get to same temp

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also the airflow in most rdas is better than kanger airflow as well as most clearos.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I agree, kanthal is cheap. I just order 100 ft 26g, 100 ft 24g. $13.40 shipped. Unless of course you go to the local shop here. I stopped in to pick up some 26g the other day, 10ft=$10. Sorry, but this pisses me off so bad. I love the guys there and love to support them, but that is just fuckin insane to me.
Btw, all the tips, hints, tricks and info are greatly appreciated. Thanx to all, and keep em coming:)

VU Sponsors