SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
It's a direct to battery connection ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
So a hybrid lol must have voltage drop somewhere else. Did u test for voltage drop?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Batteries have internal resistance..Attys are made of mostly stainless steel which isn't the best for conductivity..510 pins have voltage drop..Copper is I think the 3rd best conductive material so there is a loss there as well...Show me a mech mod (tube or box) that shows 4.2v at the atty and ill buy it just to have it...It would be the best mech mod and atty known to man...Then maybe well have a mech mod that "hits hard" compared to others...Just my thoughts.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Batteries have internal resistance..Attys are made of mostly stainless steel which isn't the best for conductivity..510 pins have voltage drop..Copper is I think the 3rd best conductive material so there is a loss there as well...Show me a mech mod (tube or box) that shows 4.2v at the atty and ill buy it just to have it...It would be the best mech mod and atty known to man...Then maybe well have a mech mod that "hits hard" compared to others...Just my thoughts.
Closest you can get is the 2JNT Pilak, 92.5% pure silver. I'll have to put an in line meter on mine. But I guarantee that it is about the smoothest and most responsive mod I own.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I used a good Volt meter right at the posts with coils installed.

EDIT: without coils installed

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I used a good Volt meter right at the posts with coils installed.

EDIT: without coils installed
The coil master meter has an attachment to test voltage drop. I tested my Ohmega shorty and got 4.16 volts on a full charge so .04 loss. I haven't tested my vcp

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
that's voltage drop in the battery (internal resistance) but not the voltage your coils sees...try a volt meter to your Ohmega shorty on the posts where you hook your coils upto...this is the voltage your coils get.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
that's voltage drop in the battery (internal resistance) but not the voltage your coils sees...try a volt meter to your Ohmega shorty on the posts where you hook your coils upto...this is the voltage your coils get.
That's what the meter does. It just doesn't test voltage sag when it's under a real load but mooch gives us that data

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That's reading battery voltage inline to the atty which is the same as having no atty attached...Try it with an meter on the posts of the atty and see what numbers you get.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
That's reading battery voltage inline to the atty which is the same as having no atty attached...Try it with an meter on the posts of the atty and see what numbers you get.
That adds in voltage drop of the atty as well so not and accurate measure of the mod itself

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Exactly...the voltage the coils get is far less than what even the best mod can put out..A hybrid will put out the full 4.2v but the coil will see maybe 3.8v..Im not sure but testing with a coil in the atty changed the voltage numbers as well..More resistance less voltage...I have a thread on here somewhere showing some of the tests I did.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I found the thread but its not as complete as I thought but i did leave a final thought about voltage drop and never returned to it to finish the tests as I didn't see it was needed....Those inline meters I found use a specific resistor that creates a load on the battery to begin with..Using my volt meter I got zero voltage drop from my Mods and all showed 4.2v until an atty was attached...Using the SMPL hybrid and a Mutation X v2 atty I got 3.96v at the atty with a dual .50 coil build.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi mate, I hope you don't mind me asking, I am not as used to mechs as I am regulated mods, but I do remember quite a while ago I tested the mechs I had with a multimeter for Voltage drop, but I am sure I did this with coils installed, running one probe to the positive post of the atty, then the negative lead to the body of the mod.

Is this way of doing so incorrect? I was trying to see if my mods had different levels of voltage drop, and from my results I believed that they did. I can't actually remember my results fully, but I think at best I saw around 3.7V? I do have memory issues though, so may be remembering how I did this incorrectly.

So, to test for voltage drop with a meter, how exactly should I do this? As I would like to compare my mechs, and see if my favourites are 'harder hitting', or it is a placebo effect.

EDIT: I should add, I tested whilst firing the mod to get voltage under load. I just want to make sure I am doing it correctly.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
maybe its a term that is annoying and has been for along time it is not measurable one cannot measure "it hits hard" it one said the voltage drop is X then it would make sense it confuses people and makes new Mech users think a certain mod "Hits hard"

When it comes to voltage drop, what I gather most people mean when they say 'hard hitting', this does vary from mod to mod doesn't it? As in my above question, I do remember seeing different results with different mods.

I did notice though that my 3 SMPL clones performed virtually the same, including the all copper and SS one.

I'm not exactly new to mechs, but use them far less than regulated mods, so am not as familiar with things as I am regulated, when you mention new mech users getting confused by thinking a certain mod hits hard, do you mean there is no difference mod to mod or that it would be better to use the term voltage drop?

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
When it comes to voltage drop, what I gather most people mean when they say 'hard hitting', this does vary from mod to mod doesn't it? As in my above question, I do remember seeing different results with different mods.

I did notice though that my 3 SMPL clones performed virtually the same, including the all copper and SS one.

I'm not exactly new to mechs, but use them far less than regulated mods, so am not as familiar with things as I am regulated, when you mention new mech users getting confused by thinking a certain mod hits hard, do you mean there is no difference mod to mod or that it would be better to use the term voltage drop?
I will use an example X user buys the mod his buddy says "Hits hard" then he puts some Clapton build on it probably best used on a parallel box etc then he says "It does not hit hard" again just because someone says Hits hard they surely do not understand what that really mean's I do thats not the point its much like saying "This mod Kills" in a time when the FDA is all over Vaping being more articulate with terms is necessary the amount of users we get on here that say oddball things picked up at Vape shops with the elitist hipster in the corners is a huge problem.

BornToDie423

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What do you mean by 'hit's hard' this is not measurable .
This has apparently been rustling your Jimmies for nearly 24 hours now. So I'll explain what I meant, why I chose the specific phrasing, and why I didn't see it necessary to go into detail about voltage drop based on OPs post.

What I meant by 'Adjustable 510 mechanical mods can hit just as hard' was: if you were to switch your atomizer from a hybrid mech to a mech with an adjustable 510, it's not guaranteed that the hybrid will perform better(the hybrid doesn't automatically have better conductivity simply because it is a hybrid).

OP stated that they had done their homework and decided on a hybrid mech mod. If the OP had mentioned the Rig v2 but made no mention of it being a hybrid, I would have looked at it differently. BUT he had done enough research to understand the difference between a hybrid and a floating 510 or adjustable 510, what have you. So, like an ass, I made the assumption that one of the reasons he was looking at a hybrid was concerns over voltage drop. I didn't feel it necessary to use 'voltage drop' specifically because from the way I read it, he would understand what I meant. How would someone spend enough time learning battery safety and somehow overlook conductivity as a whole?

That being said, if anyone would have had an actual question about anything I said, I would have done my best to help explain it in detail. I didn't mean to start some heated debate for the past day. I apologize for that. And if this response came off as me being an ass, that was not the intention.. I get a bit testy when I haven't slept much.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This has apparently been rustling your Jimmies for nearly 24 hours now. So I'll explain what I meant, why I chose the specific phrasing, and why I didn't see it necessary to go into detail about voltage drop based on OPs post.

What I meant by 'Adjustable 510 mechanical mods can hit just as hard' was: if you were to switch your atomizer from a hybrid mech to a mech with an adjustable 510, it's not guaranteed that the hybrid will perform better(the hybrid doesn't automatically have better conductivity simply because it is a hybrid).

OP stated that they had done their homework and decided on a hybrid mech mod. If the OP had mentioned the Rig v2 but made no mention of it being a hybrid, I would have lo what have you. So, like an ass, I made the assumption that one of the reasons he was looking at a hybrid was concerns over voltage drop. I didn't feel it necessary to use 'voltage drop' specifically because from the way I read it, he would understand what I meant. How would someone spend enough time learning battery safety and somehow overlook conductivity as a whole?

That being said, if anyone would have had an actual question about anything I said, I would have done my best to help explain it in detail. I didn't mean to start some heated debate for the past day. I apologize for that. And if this response came off as me being an ass, that was not the intention.. I get a bit testy when I haven't slept much.
no hate at all great explanation its refreshing

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I will use an example X user buys the mod his buddy says "Hits hard" then he puts some Clapton build on it probably best used on a parallel box etc then he says "It does not hit hard" again just because someone says Hits hard they surely do not understand what that really mean's I do thats not the point its much like saying "This mod Kills" in a time when the FDA is all over Vaping being more articulate with terms is necessary the amount of users we get on here that say oddball things picked up at Vape shops with the elitist hipster in the corners is a huge problem.
Ahh, I get what you mean.

Most of the time, when I hear the term 'hits hard', I assume people do mean voltage drop, but using the correct terms would be better if someone is likely to misunderstand what is exactly meant.

I forgot you are having your problems with the FDA at the moment in the USA, I am form the UK and so far the TPD hasn't really affected us. I don't know if this will change in May though, when the 6 month grace period is over.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ahh, I get what you mean.

Most of the time, when I hear the term 'hits hard', I assume people do mean voltage drop, but using the correct terms would be better if someone is likely to misunderstand what is exactly meant.

I forgot you are having your problems with the FDA at the moment in the USA, I am form the UK and so far the TPD hasn't really affected us. I don't know if this will change in May though, when the 6 month grace period is over.
It is a losing battle most people are unwilling to dig deep enough with Mech's to grasp it all.

VU Sponsors