Become a Patron!

Anyone into RC cars, boats, planes, helis, quadcopters?

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thought id start of a pretty common hobby thread...If youve gottem post up.

RC has been my longest running hobby..I started back in 91 i believe and still play with these things today..Such a great stress reliever and a ton of fun.

At one point i had a total of 23 rc vehicles ranging from on road and off road in most every category...Started racing back in 94 i think , ive won many local track wins and won a state championship in both Nitro 1/8 Buggy and Nitro 1/10 Stadium truck.

Its been quite a few years since ive raced but i still have my 2 favorite rc vehicles i won the championships with..One is a 1/8 scale OFNA nitro buggy that is pretty much a hybrid and still own my Team Associated GT2...I did all my motor work to both vehicles and surprised alot of people with them being fairly stock compared to many super high dollar motors used.

A little note about the nitro buggy..I built this buggy on a bet..I was told you cant take a common back yard basher and make it compete with the high dollar kits from associated and losi and mugen etc...Well i won that bet...I have the build thread on the OFNA site which is one of the highest read articles on there..Its been quite a long time since ive been there but its there still...its a mix of an ofna MBX, LX, and a jammin buggy with alot of custom made parts as well..i love this buggy..lol..its truly a one of a kind performer.

Not long ago i got started in "beginner" helicopters and quad copters and love flying these little 4 channel monsters around.

My copter is the WL Toys V911 which is highly modified and my custom mini quad is all hybrid built using what was the best of all those little toys at the time to make one quad with.

Ive been recently checking out the scene again and cant believe how far these toys have come..not to mention the increase prices but still very affordable.

Ill get some pics up soon and would like to see what everyone else is playing with.

Feel free to discuss anything rc related here.

Last edited:

Caboose

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey man good to find another RC hobbyist, been in this since I was like 8. Love it, but word of advice don't ever add up your receipts haha. Started with a Tyco basic rc truck and grew from there. I've had too many trucks and cars over the years to count, same with planes. Haven't gotten a quadcopter yet but I really want to build one when I can afford another frivolous expense xP

Right now I've got an Ofna Hyper TT, 1/10th scale electric 4x4 truggy with an 1/8th scale motor and esc. Thing rips, right now I've got 4 paddle tires on it and take it to the beach and dunes, last time we went out it sheared 2 axles....too much torque. I've had a few helicopters but my favorite was a Trex 600, lots of fun to fly but definitely a solid pucker factor considering how much they are and how expensive it is when you crash.

One of these days I'll pick up another helicopter, already have a builds spec'ed out just need to get my butt in gear. But I think my favorite RC has to be a 1989 Richman Toys 1/10 scale Batmobile, still brand new in the box. My dad gave it to me when I was a kid and I've just been holding onto it over the years.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey man good to find another RC hobbyist, been in this since I was like 8. Love it, but word of advice don't ever add up your receipts haha. Started with a Tyco basic rc truck and grew from there. I've had too many trucks and cars over the years to count, same with planes. Haven't gotten a quadcopter yet but I really want to build one when I can afford another frivolous expense xP

Right now I've got an Ofna Hyper TT, 1/10th scale electric 4x4 truggy with an 1/8th scale motor and esc. Thing rips, right now I've got 4 paddle tires on it and take it to the beach and dunes, last time we went out it sheared 2 axles....too much torque. I've had a few helicopters but my favorite was a Trex 600, lots of fun to fly but definitely a solid pucker factor considering how much they are and how expensive it is when you crash.

One of these days I'll pick up another helicopter, already have a builds spec'ed out just need to get my butt in gear. But I think my favorite RC has to be a 1989 Richman Toys 1/10 scale Batmobile, still brand new in the box. My dad gave it to me when I was a kid and I've just been holding onto it over the years.

Wow, that TT must haul ass lol.....you running 2 s or 3s for power?

I miss my original Associated rc 10 buggy..i wish i had never sold it...those are worth some money as was my original Tamiya Bruiser i traded for more modern gear.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This is my Axial Scx10 i recently sold.
20131213_093647.jpg
20131213_093346.jpg
20131213_093231.jpg

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Heres the buggy back when it was freshly built and clean...lol
1434278665924.jpg
Before the motor install.
1434278764478.jpg

How its sitting right now..needs a steering servo and motor...still have the same body.
20150224_004408.jpg

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The GT2 how its sitting currently..needs a motor.
2015-02-28 04.44.34.jpg
20150224_004353.jpg

And the two sitting together.
20141031_132417.jpg

An old electric drag car i made back when i was doing the buggy...its been sold...Was a Yokomo chassis..made rear wheel drive only...I think 8 still have the body and a supra TT body as well.
1434278812174.jpg

Caboose

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
A couple of my buddies do the crawlers, you guys would have fun. I wish my truggy was that clean, in all honesty it's been beaten around pretty good. I think i've broken probably at least a dozen control arms on the thing. Right now I've gotta re-do the wiring, the body is putting too much stress on the signal wire coming off the ESC and is causing power issues.

And yes the holes in the body were put there by me, 1/8th scale electronics in a 1/10th scale chassis tend to run a bit hot lol.

IMG_2465_zpsgplcteo4.jpg

IMG_2466_zpskwe65r0u.jpg

Well I guess I shouldn't feel bad about adding to my collection. Looks like I've fallen behind haha.

Last edited:

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
R/C...Grew up on it. I have old pics from the 50's of my dad with his first r/c plane. The radio was a huge box that had toggle switches to turn/up/down and as you can imagine plenty of crashes occurred back in the pioneer days. I remember going to many contest throughout the nation with him. He was truly a pioneer in his game. He was the focus of many articles in the trade mags. He designed many competition"pattern" planes. Move on to the 70's...My dad started a hobby wholesale biz which I was a part of. I was afforded the privilege of seeing all the newest r/c toys. I was and still am a car nut. Planes never were my thing. I started with 1/10 associated, bolink, parma, tamiya in the 70's, even had a r/c motorcycle. Back then we had no competition meets for racing. As time went by meets were finally coming around. In the 80's a buddy and I were top dogs in the racing indoor ovals. We new how to build our own matched batt packs before anybody else did. We tweaked motors, shaved weight, cheater tires, you name it we did it. Then everybody caught on. I got bored and moved on until the 90's. My old buddy came over one day with a team losi truck and I was once again hooked. We went back to our standards of going to every dirt track we could get to on a weekend. We were usually 1st and 2nd lol. We even raced the trucks on indoor high banked carpeted ovals. Those were fun times for me. Then i got married, haven't played with anything since. I still look at them online with the same fascination as I did when I was younger. Even my dad in his mid 80's is still building and flying planes. I'd really like to get a new toy, but the cost is my problem. I know myself well enough to know I can't do anything half ass. The wife would kill me if I started this hobby up again. I can afford to talk about it though lol. I still have my old losi and associated cars and trucks. The old futaba wheel radios. I'd need new everything to get them going again though. Cheaper to just start new.

Last edited:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Here a list of vehicles ive owned.

Associated B4
Associated T4
Associated Nitro GT
Associated GT2 ( still own)
(X2) Associated TC3 nitro
Associated TC4 (electric)
(X2) Associated SC10 electric short course trucks
Ofna LX nitro buggy (still own..forgot this one)
Ofna lx2 nitro buggy
Ofna MBX nitro buggy
Ofna Hyper 7 Nitro buggy
Ofna nitro Mutilator truggy
(X2) Jammin nitro X1-CR competition buggies.
XTM Xcellerator nitro truck
( X2)Traxxas nitro rustlers
Taxxas nitro TMaxx
Sportwerks nitro Chaos mini nitro buggy
Axial SCX10 honcho
Axial SCX10 wrangler jeep
Exceed mad torque ( custom hybrid trail truck)
Proboat BlackJack 26ss (electric) boat
Tamiya Brusier
(X3) Associated Rc10 buggies.
WL Toys V911 4 channel heli copters (still own)
Custom hybrid mini quad copter (still own)

And thinking about a New Syma X5 CF RTF quad copter this week..lol

Ive owned more but these are what comes to mind.

Ive still not owned a single air planeo_O

Last edited:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I can say one thing i have held onto are my nitro motors...Ill get a pic of my collection when i can...Motors ranging from .12 to .32....Ill post up some pics of my motor work as well.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have that affliction, we call them "Slot Cars". I have no idea how much I have spent. Multiples of hundreds. When I started it was .25 an hour to race. Now it's $5.65 an hour. Still worth it. Group 24 rocks. ;)

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have that affliction, we call them "Slot Cars". I have no idea how much I have spent. Multiples of hundreds. When I started it was .25 an hour to race. Now it's $5.65 an hour. Still worth it. Group 24 rocks. ;)

There was a small slot car set up i went with a friend a few times to watch..Some of those cars were insane fast...Makes me miss my little tyco slot car track i used to own.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I fashion a coil till it's perfect for me. Ad just enough wick to make stellar flavor & clouds. Choose the perfect flavor for the moment. Then enjoy the effort. The finest moments are random & scattered. The product of learning. The application of human existence. It ends without notice. Peculiar, odd species. :cool:

vaporraper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have an align 500 chopper.. a little old now and needs some tlc but should be back in the air next year for sure.. also have a couple 450's but they've ben collecting dust too.. really can't wait to get them back in the air, crazy adrenalin rush flying a chopper!! Had quite a few planes also and will probably get another but the heli's
are the shizznick! ; )

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hear you. I want a drone thing, but can't cough up 2000.00. Camera don't mean anything to me. I just love to fly. Had Cox .049 planes on string! People are un aware of these treats.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bought a Corsair with 6' wing span. .149 motor. Flew it once before the controller quit working. 20.00 bucks. Hung it from my ceiling.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have an align 500 chopper.. a little old now and needs some tlc but should be back in the air next year for sure.. also have a couple 450's but they've ben collecting dust too.. really can't wait to get them back in the air, crazy adrenalin rush flying a chopper!! Had quite a few planes also and will probably get another but the heli's
are the shizznick! ; )
A friend of mine bought one of those 450 copter kits from hobby king ,i think the HK model...He put everything together and was programming the esc and radio..he turned on the copter with it in his lap and apparently had a wire or programming wrong and it went full throttle on him and messed his leg up pretty bad..had to get alot of stitches..he actually threw it away in the trash and hasnt touched a copter since..lol.

Those big boys are dangerous if you dont know what youre doing..I like my little weak mini copters..lol

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A friend of mine bought one of those 450 copter kits from hobby king ,i think the HK model...He put everything together and was programming the esc and radio..he turned on the copter with it in his lap and apparently had a wire or programming wrong and it went full throttle on him and messed his leg up pretty bad..had to get alot of stitches..he actually threw it away in the trash and hasnt touched a copter since..lol.

Those big boys are dangerous if you dont know what youre doing..I like my little weak mini copters..lol
Saw a poor guy put his hand in front of a slot car once. Cut his hand in half. I still can't believe he did that. Don't stop a brass missile going 100 mph. Motor the size of a match box. 12v. 3 seconds. Hard to believe.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ouch:eek:...ive seen people get broken ankles from rc cars running across a track as a turn marshal..4 to 7lbs moving at speeds of over 40mph will flat out hurt..lolo_O...ive had one hit my foot and it didnt break anything but left it black and blue for 2 weeks and it wasnt even going fast when it hit me...i got lucky.

Also saw one 1/8 scale buggy crash and flipped up over a wall and hit someone in the face..It didnt cause seriuos injury but im sure it didnt feel very good.:confused:

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I hear you. I want a drone thing, but can't cough up 2000.00. Camera don't mean anything to me. I just love to fly. Had Cox .049 planes on string! People are un aware of these treats.
My brothers and I would build Ucons with the scrap balsa from my dads projects. They were just wood with wings and enough outward thrust built into the motor mount We used what ever motors we had on hand, mostly .049's. Some were .35-.40 Those things were fun as hell. We would do dog fights on the street in our neighborhood. Traffic had to stop until the flight was over. Lots of great memories from this thread.:)

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Started rc as a kid, around 7 dad got me this nitro car with a fan to propel it... like a swamp boat.
It didn't really do much but go straight or turn left, 100% throttle all the time :eek:

We went to the school playground and got it ready to go. Dad flicked the fan a few times and it fired up! Let it go and shit! That thing was gone! Just about zero control, might as well have started it and just put the controller down and watch lol.

Needless to say, that wasn't an appropriate rc for a 7 year old so I was still waiting for MY first rc. Dad already had his :mad:

Flash forward a few years and i got a grasshopper. That was fun.

Many years later in about 98 I got a T-maxx and got the bug again. Played with that for a few months and got an Ofna rtr buggy then a Mugen mbx-5 and started racing. Had a blast racing and got to race with some of the fastest in the world here in southern California. Got real fast running with fast company, work took the place of fun time for a few years.

2008 my buddy got into planes, I picked up a trainer and a month later was flying war birds. Then pylon racer style that would do 100+ mph.

Decided that I want more then 1 crash out of my hobby toys so I picked up a short course truck and checked out the local indoor offroad track.

Now that was fun, no messy fuel, no tuning the motor, drop it on the track and go. Been racing indoor for 5 years now, AC, restroom, clean... all a step up from the outdoor nitro days. Got into 2wd & 4wd 1/10 buggys to fill the time between rounds. Those are amazing on the track but the fun of door to door 4x SCT racing is still my fav.

IMG_20130822_171250_697.jpg
20150922_141238-1.jpg

Last edited:

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ouch:eek:...ive seen people get broken ankles from rc cars running across a track as a turn marshal..4 to 7lbs moving at speeds of over 40mph will flat out hurt..lolo_O...ive had one hit my foot and it didnt break anything but left it black and blue for 2 weeks and it wasnt even going fast when it hit me...i got lucky.

Also saw one 1/8 scale buggy crash and flipped up over a wall and hit someone in the face..It didnt cause seriuos injury but im sure it didnt feel very good.:confused:

Been there,done that...
My first speed build was a 3.3 jato converted to an HPI 5.9 GPS clocked @82mph on the first run.
......lost it in the street lamp on the second pass and shattered my ankle.
Lesson learned,never run nitro when you can't see the rig...

vaporraper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

There toys but there not.. gata be careful for sure.. sounds like someone trying to do advanced vaping just starting off for the 1st time, bad things can happen!! Also he bought a cheaper one.. not saying that was definitely the problem but might not have helped.. also sounds like he probably had no idea how to fly it either.. my advice for anyone trying to get into it is go to a hobby shop and get some help.. plus you basically NEED a simulator to practice flying,there not easy but the adrenalin rush is amazing!!
Sry about your friend!

vaporraper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh ya forgot to say never have the motor fully plugged in when working on your heli!! ; )

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
There toys but there not.. gata be careful for sure.. sounds like someone trying to do advanced vaping just starting off for the 1st time, bad things can happen!! Also he bought a cheaper one.. not saying that was definitely the problem but might not have helped.. also sounds like he probably had no idea how to fly it either.. my advice for anyone trying to get into it is go to a hobby shop and get some help.. plus you basically NEED a simulator to practice flying,there not easy but the adrenalin rush is amazing!!
Sry about your friend!

Yea it was his first copter..i actually tried to get him to get a fixed pitch 4 channel to learn on first like a blade sr120 or something like that but he wouldnt have that....I still run my fixed pitch 4 channels..Not as much control as a collective pitch but still fun to fly and pretty much safe.

Our local Hobby Town had a computer set up with the flight simulator in the store..sometimes had a line of people waiting to play with it...lol

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Been there,done that...
My first speed build was a 3.3 jato converted to an HPI 5.9 GPS clocked @82mph on the first run.
......lost it in the street lamp on the second pass and shattered my ankle.
Lesson learned,never run nitro when you can't see the rig...
Yea, those 3.3 traxxas motors are beasts...i know the Traxxas Jato 3.3 would hit around 60 pretty easily in stock configuration...Ive done a little motor work to those for friends.

vaporraper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yea it was his first copter..i actually tried to get him to get a fixed pitch 4 channel to learn on first like a blade sr120 or something like that but he wouldnt have that....I still run my fixed pitch 4 channels..Not as much control as a collective pitch but still fun to fly and pretty much safe.

Our local Hobby Town had a computer set up with the flight simulator in the store..sometimes had a line of people waiting to play with it...lol
I definitely believe you need a sim when getting into the real deal heli's, there worth there weight in gold!! I started with planes, crashed a few then added glue.. lol sim at the hobby store helped me get a feel and then I was fine with the plane's.. got into choppers and was like ( I NEED a sim).. still have one and can't wait to fly again.. money just ben a little tight lately so im shooting for next year.. absolutely love the 3d you can do with them and after seeing what it takes to fly these things I totally respect people that can fly them.. takes time and practice for sure and unfortunately I never mastered rebuilding/hooking it up right to the controller.. glad you enjoy yours and wondering if you ever think of going bigger?

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I definitely believe you need a sim when getting into the real deal heli's, there worth there weight in gold!! I started with planes, crashed a few then added glue.. lol sim at the hobby store helped me get a feel and then I was fine with the plane's.. got into choppers and was like ( I NEED a sim).. still have one and can't wait to fly again.. money just ben a little tight lately so im shooting for next year.. absolutely love the 3d you can do with them and after seeing what it takes to fly these things I totally respect people that can fly them.. takes time and practice for sure and unfortunately I never mastered rebuilding/hooking it up right to the controller.. glad you enjoy yours and wondering if you ever think of going bigger?

Im not sure if ill ever go to the big ones with collective pitch..you can get 4 channel 250 size which is where i might go first if anything...Who knows, i said id never go to boats and did..lol

Heres my 2 WL toys V911's ...the red one came with the radio..the blue one was a BNF...for less than $30.00 (at the time) they sure are alot of fun indoors or in pretty much low to no wind conditions, outside.
20150922_132418.jpg

vaporraper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Im not sure if ill ever go to the big ones with collective pitch..you can get 4 channel 250 size which is where i might go first if anything...Who knows, i said id never go to boats and did..lol

Heres my 2 WL toys V911's ...the red one came with the radio..the blue one was a BNF...for less than $30.00 (at the time) they sure are alot of fun indoors or in pretty much low to no wind conditions, outside.
View attachment 29384
Nice heli's bro and I like your style, slow but surely! I tend to jump ranks a litle to quick but when I'm motivated it usually works out.. thank God! Lol
Ill try and get some pics up when I get back home

dannycarlisle18

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a few quadcopters. Some basic ones like the Hubsan X4 and Syma 5C. I also have a Parrot AR 2.0 and I'm probably going to get a Phantom 3 when the price drops a bit more. :rolleyes:

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
And a few micro quads and helis. Also have had a trex 450, but sold it because I rarely flew it.

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

and a couple of the video's I have made. The ones before I got a good camera are.. well...

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
DickyT, you have a problem lol
At least RC makes vaping seem like a cheap hobby:D

One of my racing buddies got into crawling then rock racing, I'm tempted to buy a yeti but I know thats going to be a slippery hopup slope and I barely have time to race my indoor rigs as it is.

Last edited:

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
DickyT, you have a problem lol
At least RC makes vaping seem like a cheap hobby:D
No kidding... I have a nice little vape gear collection, and the cost is no where near what I have into RC.

I have others that I have not bothered to photograph over the years too, but the ones pictured are the ones I really enjoy. I've had a few boats too, but no longer live on a lake, so they all got sold and turned into micro helis and quads.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I want to meet the biker chick in your yeti vid :D

I haven't kept pics of the old RC's, some were pre smart phone.

Here's an old Losi XXX-4 I finally let go of a couple years ago. This was from when lipo and brushless were just hitting the scene, played with this at the 1/8 outdoor tracks in between rounds to burn time and usually embarrassed 1/8 buggies as long as they weren't expert class drivers :)

2012-12-01_11-39-24_398.jpg

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No kidding... I have a nice little vape gear collection, and the cost is no where near what I have into RC.

I have others that I have not bothered to photograph over the years too, but the ones pictured are the ones I really enjoy. I've had a few boats too, but no longer live on a lake, so they all got sold and turned into micro helis and quads.

Its not hard at all to sink 1k into a basic crawler ..i was on a forum for crawlers and the money ive seen put into some of those rigs were insane and some exceeding 3k or more in one rig.

I took an old school approach with my scx10s'

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Heres the little hybrid quad i put together..its just bigger than the palm of my hand in actual size...great little flyer for a 4 axis gyro in it...Now the new models are doing 6 axis...The radio is the same one i fly the 911 copters from..the pcb i chose happened to use the same protocol which worked out great.
1443117032651.jpg

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Its not hard at all to sink 1k into a basic crawler ..i was on a forum for crawlers and the money ive seen put into some of those rigs were insane and some exceeding 3k or more in one rig.

I took an old school approach with my scx10s'
RCC? I'm a member there since 2007!

There is over 1k into each of my 1:10 crawlers. There is just over 3k into the one from the top picture, and about 3500 into the super class (1:8) shown sitting on the mill. All the scale rigs are in the 1100-1400 range depending on drive train upgrades, and the Yeti is sitting around 2200 currently. The Yeti's rear axle alone was 500...

I hope my wife never sees this post. :eek:

SirVtHondaGuy08

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been thinking of getting a truck, any suggestions? Not trying to break the bank, not nitro and something I can use in the snow.(Winters coming)

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Axial SCX10. They are probably the most versatile platform currently available, and have the widest support from after market of anything out there.

The base truck can be enjoyed as it is, or converted to anything from a jack up, tractor tired mud truck, scale rock crawler, trail truck, to low rider, as it uses traditional frame rails.

krashkrieg

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

There is over 1k into each of my 1:10 crawlers. There is just over 3k into the one from the top picture, and about 3500 into the super class (1:8) shown sitting on the mill. All the scale rigs are in the 1100-1400 range depending on drive train upgrades, and the Yeti is sitting around 2200 currently. The Yeti's rear axle alone was 500...

Tell me about it, Vaping is so much cheaper of a hobby...
I started in 1/8 scale but soon moved to 1/5...that's where I now mostly play

Here's a couple of my current 1/5 scale monsters ....Redcat Rampage MT and XBe

Last one is my Pride and Joy shortly after birth...lol Losi 5T that started as a roller setup with a 32ccGizmo motor and that hauled the mail...but wasn't satisfied....

I don't have a pic on my work pc of how it looks now, but now has this engine in it!..:D..doesn't get much more beastly than an RCMax46! :cool: I love ridiculous power!

Attachments

• postvuDSC00824.jpg
    postvuDSC00824.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 11
  • postDSC00828.JPG
    postDSC00828.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 11
  • post20140327_132344.jpg
    post20140327_132344.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 11
  • PostRCMax46.jpg
    PostRCMax46.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 11

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, scx10's are like the Tmaxx of yesteryear. There are a ton of companies making aftermarket parts for it so you can make it into just about anything or just add some bling aluminum parts for strength and flossing while it sits on the shelf.

For something indestructible you may want to also look at some of the newer short course trucks that are based off 1/8 scale buggies which are the most bullet proof rigs out there considering the speed to strength factor. It was just Tekno but there are a bunch of companies putting those out now. But they won't do the slow speed stuff like a scx10 or yeti.
Yeti 1/8 maybe?

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I drove a Losi 5 at palmdesert raceway a year ago and that was a blast, stock but still fun.

Lucky you, you chose the most expensive class in rc... makes vape purchases seem like buying a postage stamp.

Lol, love the mad max spikes on the rims. No banging doors with you :eek:

krashkrieg

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I drove a Losi 5 at palmdesert raceway a year ago and that was a blast, stock but still fun.

Lucky you, you chose the most expensive class in rc... makes vape purchases seem like buying a postage stamp.

Lol, love the mad max spikes on the rims. No banging doors with you :eek:

I actually had to chill out on the purchases after finishing her last year...I won't even admit to you guys how much is in that thing now...lol...let's put it this way, I have a 2001 F150 that's worth less...

Thanks for the compliment, I will post a pic soon of what she looks like now, there more 'Mad Max' on it now with the monster motor.
I don't race on a track with it, (nothing that big in NewJersey) but have a few friends that have big scale and bash it up with them.

Almost forgot, Last year got into boats and did do some racing...Here's my F41 stryker (that's 41") Custom mod 26cc Super Bee engine...she'll do mid 60's full out on the strait...

Attachments

• postF41stryker.jpg
    postF41stryker.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 10

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Yea, RCC...Search in the scx10 section for "SCX10 performance thread" to see a write up i did on the scx 10..Youll see i took a very low cost appraoch with it but covered just about every aspect of it to gain performance..I had my fair share of disagreements from it as i wouldnt say to buy this companies or that companies expensive parts and chose lower cost alternatives....Im going to build another one at some point and wouldnt change a thing on how i built it...it really was a great performer..I had a stock scx10 rubicon i challenged it against and it was no comparison.

Are your trucks class 2 rigs?..i notice the comp trail markings.

I never competed with my truck..no place in my area has a group to go play with basically..i just challenged myself and the truck back in the woods and mountains where i live.

VU Sponsors