Become a Patron!

Anyone into RC cars, boats, planes, helis, quadcopters?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So I shouldn't run 3s? I ideally wanted something I could run 2-4s on, any suggestions on one I'd be safe with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well your motor also is a factor involved, you dont want to go out its standards or you risk frying a component like the ESC or causing the Lipo to vent while running.
Think of it in these basic sections:
Vehicles Under 5lbs and under 1/10 Scale:
1S runs 6000Kv-8000Kv
2S runs 6000Kv-4500Kv
Best for 1/12-1/8 Scale Vehicles:
3S runs 4500Kv-3000Kv
4S runs 3000Kv-2500Kv
Best for 1/8+ Scale Vehicles:
5S runs 2500Kv-1700Kv
6s runs any motor from 2200Kv down...

Be Careful and aware of what your running

SirVtHondaGuy08

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well your motor also is a factor involved, you dont want to go out its standards or you risk frying a component like the ESC or causing the Lipo to vent while running.
Think of it in these basic sections:
Vehicles Under 5lbs and under 1/10 Scale:
1S runs 6000Kv-8000Kv
2S runs 6000Kv-4500Kv
Best for 1/12-1/8 Scale Vehicles:
3S runs 4500Kv-3000Kv
4S runs 3000Kv-2500Kv
Best for 1/8+ Scale Vehicles:
5S runs 2500Kv-1700Kv
6s runs any motor from 2200Kv down...

Be Careful and aware of what your running
I was going to run 3-5s, only have 4 3s right now tho. Was going to keep my MMP esc but it's not waterproof

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@raymo2u if you can suggest a better esc more suiting to me I'm all ears :)

It all depends on what your placing it in-I will guess that your using 1/10 or 1/8 scale as they are the most popular, if you want something that has a all around skill set the one I suggested would fit the bill and is as good if not better then 90% of its competitors. The Castle Creations ESCs are great but over priced like most of the others available, if you really to have the best of the best in a rank order then I would suggest Hobbywing XErun XR8 Plus, Hobbywing EZrun MAX8 V3, Tekin RX8 Gen2, then CC Mamba Monster X, then the Team Orion R8 Pro X...in that order.
A Motor that between 3000Kv-1700Kv, making sure to stay within motor/esc standards I listed above
I would also Suggest using 4S-6S Lipo Rated 35C or Higher and no higher then 6400Mah (risk of overheating triples after a half hour run, 10 minute cool downs in between), DO NOT get a lipo thats rated under 30C at least, its like running 10A 18650s on a 25A build...not pretty
If the ESC or Motor doesnt come with wire use 12g or 14g super soft wires and Deans, Traxxas ID, EC3 or XT60 connectors.
This should be good info to start with and you can do research for each and then decide, this is one of the reasons I loved R/C-So many options available and preference is usually the standing difference.

SirVtHondaGuy08

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It all depends on what your placing it in-I will guess that your using 1/10 or 1/8 scale as they are the most popular, if you want something that has a all around skill set the one I suggested would fit the bill and is as good if not better then 90% of its competitors. The Castle Creations ESCs are great but over priced like most of the others available, if you really to have the best of the best in a rank order then I would suggest Hobbywing XErun XR8 Plus, Hobbywing EZrun MAX8 V3, Tekin RX8 Gen2, then CC Mamba Monster X, then the Team Orion R8 Pro X...in that order.
A Motor that between 3000Kv-1700Kv, making sure to stay within motor/esc standards I listed above
I would also Suggest using 4S-6S Lipo Rated 35C or Higher and no higher then 6400Mah (risk of overheating triples after a half hour run, 10 minute cool downs in between), DO NOT get a lipo thats rated under 30C at least, its like running 10A 18650s on a 25A build...not pretty
If the ESC or Motor doesnt come with wire use 12g or 14g super soft wires and Deans, Traxxas ID, EC3 or XT60 connectors.
This should be good info to start with and you can do research for each and then decide, this is one of the reasons I loved R/C-So many options available and preference is usually the standing difference.
Thanks!

You're correct, I'm running a 1/10 slash LCG 4x4. I have the mamba max pro right now but the lack of waterproofing scares me since winters coming.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks!

You're correct, I'm running a 1/10 slash LCG 4x4. I have the mamba max pro right now but the lack of waterproofing scares me since winters coming.

Ever heard of or used Plasti-Dip? Grab some from a hobby shop or Craft store and a paintbrush...Seal up the ESC yourself...or use a Balloon and Zip tie to cover the ESC when running it bud.

SirVtHondaGuy08

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ever heard of or used Plasti-Dip? Grab some from a hobby shop or Craft store and a paintbrush...Seal up the ESC yourself...or use a Balloon and Zip tie to cover the ESC when running it bud.
I've heard of plasti dip, my other concern with waterproofing it myself is voiding warranty if I take it apart and it getting to hot wrapped in something.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I've heard of plasti dip, my other concern with waterproofing it myself is voiding warranty if I take it apart and it getting to hot wrapped in something.

Use the balloon method then if you dont want to void a warranty

SirVtHondaGuy08

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Use the balloon method then if you dont want to void a warranty
Sounds good, maybe I'll just sell the Hobbywing esc and just wrap my MMP esc.

Know anyone looking for a 4600kv motor? I'm thinking of listing it on one of the RC forums

SirVtHondaGuy08

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Frick today, took the slash out for the second run on my 2400kv and the fricken motor shaft snapped!

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Frick today, took the slash out for the second run on my 2400kv and the fricken motor shaft snapped!

I got some motors if your interested... Hobby Wing 22000Kv Brush less and Velineon 3500kv and I think one or 2 other 1750-3600Kv Brush less motors...
Im going to buy a Rustler VXL and use my Slash 4x4 as a Parts vehicle (Most of the upgrades on it are for the 2wd slash I modded to fit but they fit any of the 2wd vehicles..
The 4x4 is too hard on ESCs and the Drivetrain and Im sick of replacing ESCs every other time I beat the snot out of it, the Rustler should break other parts that are a but cheaper to replace :D

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I ended up buying a DJI Phantom for taking pictures, videos and simply for flying.

It was pretty neat for a minute and now I have it for sale because there is nothing to take pictures or videos of where im from... I mean i could capture footage of the lead in our water. Haha
30djznk.jpg

SirVtHondaGuy08

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got some motors if your interested... Hobby Wing 22000Kv Brush less and Velineon 3500kv and I think one or 2 other 1750-3600Kv Brush less motors...
Im going to buy a Rustler VXL and use my Slash 4x4 as a Parts vehicle (Most of the upgrades on it are for the 2wd slash I modded to fit but they fit any of the 2wd vehicles..
The 4x4 is too hard on ESCs and the Drivetrain and Im sick of replacing ESCs every other time I beat the snot out of it, the Rustler should break other parts that are a but cheaper to replace :D
Castle is going to replace the shaft, thanks for the offers tho. I've yet to burn up an esc knock on wood!

But I may be interested in the Hobbywing 2200kv if that's what it is and not 22000kv lol.

I still have my stock venilneon system, it's the newer 4pole setup. In the next couple of weeks I'm ordering a Armma Kraton so I'll be able to really beat something.
My drive line is pretty solid, I'm running MIP heavy duty axles and all metal gears(spur and pinion). I also have the Hot Racing motor mount and heavy duty bearing.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Castle is going to replace the shaft, thanks for the offers tho. I've yet to burn up an esc knock on wood!

But I may be interested in the Hobbywing 2200kv if that's what it is and not 22000kv lol.

I still have my stock venilneon system, it's the newer 4pole setup. In the next couple of weeks I'm ordering a Armma Kraton so I'll be able to really beat something.
My drive line is pretty solid, I'm running MIP heavy duty axles and all metal gears(spur and pinion). I also have the Hot Racing motor mount and heavy duty bearing.

Yea the Hobby Wing is a 2200Kv, it camee with their 1/8-1/5 150A ESC, The Motors are crazy big and strong (never has gotten hot) but the ESC couldnt take the load of the shaft 4wd and the way I drove it....
You can see the motor in the slash for size reference, it its not small by any means and I have a Heatsink and stuff for it also.
If you want the Motor Ill let it go for $25 with the heatsink. The ESC/Motor is $280 together new but Im not going to use 3S-4S in the Rustler...

Xv64228.jpg Zw69487.jpg

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

If that motor has a 1/8" shaft it will probably break again in a 4x sct. Those are for 2wd rigs.
4x sct needs a 5mm shaft motor to deal with the load 4x's can put on them.

That was good of castle to replace it, they are pretty good with warranty.

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I ended up buying a DJI Phantom for taking pictures, videos and simply for flying.

It was pretty neat for a minute and now I have it for sale because there is nothing to take pictures or videos of where im from... I mean i could capture footage of the lead in our water. Haha
30djznk.jpg
Which one is that? I have the p3 standard and advanced

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One of my old hobbies was buying old RC vehicles from garage sales/flea markets and fixing them up
Still have some of them. These pics are old, so sorry for the poor quality.

These first two are vehicles I bought new.
Nikko Nightrage. I bought this in 1994 when I was 13 years old after saving my allowance and other money for 2 years.
nightrage.jpg

Traxxes T-Maxx - Which I call the Frankenmaxx. Bought this around 2000. It's had a bunch of mods put on it. Replaced most plastic with aluminum parts, has a longer chassis, replaced the reverse with a parking break.
frankenmaxx.jpg

The rest of these were bought from flea markets and yard sales.
Backhoe and crane. Had planned to replace all the electronics and motors in them.
backhoe.jpg

earthmover.jpg

Old Nikko Jeep Rubicon.
jeep.jpg

Old Tamiya buggy
tamiya1.jpg

Old Trinity Buggy. Think this is from the 60s. Has a chain driven front axle for 4 wheel drive when going forward, but only rear wheel drive in reverse.
trinity.jpg

Unknown old buggy. Was in a box of RC stuff that cost $5 at a garage sale. Was badly damaged but the box had more then enough parts to repair it.
unknown.jpg

Also have a few 'micro' rc cars and an RC Tank that is around 1.5ft wide x 3ft long.

SirVtHondaGuy08

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If that motor has a 1/8" shaft it will probably break again in a 4x sct. Those are for 2wd rigs.
4x sct needs a 5mm shaft motor to deal with the load 4x's can put on them.

That was good of castle to replace it, they are pretty good with warranty.
Yah I figured as much, I only went with the 3.2mm shaft since I had a handful of different size pinions. Maybe castle will swap out the shaft to a bigger one for a little extra $.

If not I'll run it again, until it breaks then just get a 5mm shaft motor.

SirVtHondaGuy08

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That would be a perfect match for my Hobbywing wc-sc8 esc I'm running, shot me a pm and I'll take it.

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Which one is that? I have the p3 standard and advanced
That's the standard 3, which actually has a longer battery life than the pro just not the same camcameras which I thought was different.

I'm actually trying to sell it

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That's the standard 3, which actually has a longer battery life than the pro just not the same camcameras which I thought was different.

I'm actually trying to sell it
It was my understanding that they all use the same batteries, and the difference in battery life easy because the pro and the advanced have the vision system and the pro has the 4k camera.
They have a 'P34k' model out now; which is the standard with the 4k camera from the pro.

are you selling it because of the camera? I ask because you can put the camera and Gimbal on it from the pro.
i'll talk to a buddy lf mine that eas trying to buy my standard and see if he's still interested.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm into CP Helicopters. Although, I've been into flying those Helis for a few years, I'm still a beginner, due to lack of time, I'm not getting to fly much. Not even on my Sim.
My inventory consists of DX9, DX6i, Blade Nano CP X, ZYX "Blade" 130X (just needs final setups), Blade 180 CFX, Blade 300X, Blade 450 3D (about 2 b FBL; have the parts, not the time). With the exception of the Nano, and the 180 CFX, the rest is on the bench, for either upgrades, or repairs.

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It was my understanding that they all use the same batteries, and the difference in battery life easy because the pro and the advanced have the vision system and the pro has the 4k camera.
They have a 'P34k' model out now; which is the standard with the 4k camera from the pro.

are you selling it because of the camera? I ask because you can put the camera and Gimbal on it from the pro.
i'll talk to a buddy lf mine that eas trying to buy my standard and see if he's still interested.
Well I do believe mine has the 4k camera, and the only real reason why I'm selling it is because I thought I'd go out and find some cool places to shoot pictures but I haven't gone out lately so it feels like money that is just sitting around and these things are not cheap either

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well I do believe mine has the 4k camera, and the only real reason why I'm selling it is because I thought I'd go out and find some cool places to shoot pictures but I haven't gone out lately so it feels like money that is just sitting around and these things are not cheap either
Ok, then you have what they bill as the P34K?
What did you want for it? I'll call him tomorrow

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok, then you have what they bill as the P34K?
What did you want for it? I'll call him tomorrow

Well its brand new, only been flown a hand full of times and never crashed so I'm asking $500.

I don't know how to sell things on the internet properly... I've never d the it before

SirVtHondaGuy08

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just picked up the one on the left, arrma Kraton. Got it for an amazing price brand new and couldn't pass it up.
41d076b89d1d666dd9ca784b537cecb4.jpg

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Which one is left?

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The picture was rotated differently on my phone, the green one tho.

That's badass!
I never did get a car, I ended up needing to rearrange moneys So, it's looking like I'll be renewing shopping in March.

They both look badass but that green one......

SirVtHondaGuy08

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's badass!
I never did get a car, I ended up needing to rearrange moneys So, it's looking like I'll be renewing shopping in March.

It's a monster, 1/8th scale and it hauls ass.

SirVtHondaGuy08

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's badass!

Here's a better picture of the size, that's a 12oz red bull.
541e7cf328d63437d374f77ed9e27615.jpg

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Damn that's huge!

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That's killer!!!

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Added the Blade 230 S to my collection. It's a real good trainer for CP Helicopter. The takeoff can be tricky though. Mine wants to roll to the right, shortly before the main blades reach the speed for takeoff. However, it's easyly controlled with some correction. Once in the air, it's flying just fine.

VU Sponsors