Anyone into straight razor shaving?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I highly recommend that you send it out for hohning. Full hollow ground razor blades are not sharpened like knives. The person will also check the scales and spine. And re-stake it if needed.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ah, so hollow refers to the curve on the inside of the blade, from spine to cutting edge! That considered, I will definitely do that. Franciscan, you are a treasure trove of knowledge and a credit to this community. Thank you, yet again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Ah, so hollow refers to the curve on the inside of the blade, from spine to cutting edge! That considered, I will definitely do that. Franciscan, you are a treasure trove of knowledge and a credit to this community. Thank you, yet again!

You are quite welcome! The process used to sharpen knives will remove the micro serrations that allow a razor to cleanly cut hair. Without those, the blade merely bulldozes over the hairs pulling and causing rashes and ingrown hairs. It is a wet process using increasingly smaller circles in an anticlockwise direction. A roughing stone, then a finishing stone are used. Honestly, for $25 you get a shave ready razor that is completely restored and can withstand stropping for a year without a noticeable loss in edge. Stropping does not sharpen the blade, but removes micro nicks and burrs. Improper hohning can also cause "smiles" along the edge of the blade. Even the best chef's have at least one long (2" or more) smile in their blades. Even with an ACF Chef Du Cuisine cert...I could not do as well as a pro.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can't seem to find much info on the company itself, other than the company was established around 1908. Obviously it's a quality piece judging by the lack of rust. I've read that razors from that area in that time period can be trusted to be high quality. Hope that's the case!

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh another shave lather I have found is the kiss you face line.
Mainly found in healthy food hippy stores.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think I'm going to pick up some Prorasi to see what all the fuss is about, but I'll have to give that a try.

By straight razor, do you mean the kind that looks like a knife kind of thing, or the old school safety razor kind of thing? I switched to the safety razor earlier this year and haven't looked back. You will cut cut yourself - buy a styptic pencil when you buy your razor. It stops the bleeding quickly, but stings worse than anything I can think of.

My reasons for switching were:

It's cheaper.
Less post-consumer waste.
A VERY close shave - closer than any cartridge shave.
Less chance of ingrown hairs.

I also use shaving soap and a boar brush because:

There is less packaging involved for the soap, therefore there is less post consumer waste than a can of shaving cream.
No harmful CFCs released into the air like what happens when using canned shaving cream.
I can work up better lather with soap and a brush than shaving cream from a can, plus it's warm lather and very soothing.
A cake of soap lasts for months.
Generally speaking , shaving soap is cheaper than shaving cream.
From my research, most makers of shaving soaps do not test their products on companion animals, which is huge in my book. I don't even want to know what Gillette, et al, do when they test their products on companion animals.
I like the vibe of using a brush, a mug, and a cake of soap. It feels more "manly" or something.

Either way, a straight edge or a safety razor is a good choice. Take the plunge, you won't look back.

ks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Straights or "Cutthroats"....all but the traditional Japanese style are folders.
I was looking at that antique find that was posted earlier......assuming the scales are sound....have nothing done but a hohning. The metal looks beautifully patina'd....the owner took great care of it.

Tcar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I use a Merkur type safety razor. There was a reason they were invented. . . Cut throat razors are very time intensive. Most men got shaved by the barber because it's rather a chore to do by yourself. If that's your thing, go for it but I've had excellent luck with safety razors. There are a couple zillion makes of double edged safety razor blades out there to find the one that suits your beard best. . . YMMV.

Good quality shaving soap and a brush are also a major step up. I get a much better shave with it than the nasty assed stuff from a can. I'll Never go back to using that, even if I cheat when traveling and use a mach3 disposable.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I didn't dive into the whole straight razor thing, but I did decide to try a different shaving cream. After using the stuff in the can for the last 20 years, I picked up a tube of Cremo.

Holy. Fucking. Shit!

Closest shave I've ever had with no cuts and ZERO irritations. Never going back to canned chemical foam again!!

Tcar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Helps, doesn't it?

If you want a mentholated shave cream that's easy to find, Bath and Body Works sells a shaving cream in the tube. Can't remember the name but it's a green tube and "imported from Italy. . ."

It's pretty good & easly available but I've grown to prefer the high glycerine hard soaps.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
C. O. Bigelow is the one you're talking about. I've heard that it's Prorasi repackaged. Been wanting to give that one a shot myself!

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
C. O. Bigelow is the one you're talking about. I've heard that it's Prorasi repackaged. Been wanting to give that one a shot myself!

L'Occitane En Provence makes rather good shave accoutrements.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looked it up and we have one of their stores about a half hour from me. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks again, Padre!

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Bought the clone everyone bought here . Anyone have a spare brush and bowl/soap they wanna donate

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors