Become a Patron!

Anyone into straight razor shaving?

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I also highly recommend the website "Art Of Manliness"......great stuff for those that want to return to a time when we were gentlemen and the Lasses loved us for it!

I've been reading from this site for the past year, on and off. LOVE IT. Actually where I got the idea to make my own beard conditioning oil, which turned out fantastic, if I do say so myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
One day I'll stop buying vape gear and invest in a good razor lol my half plastic/ metal ones does the job but only last a year tops.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looks like once I get started we should start a new handcheck thread!

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
zKG4oiK.png

My Merkur 34C and Simpson's badger.

Show off

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
One of my Dovos that had an unfortunate excursion into the edge of the sink recently. DO NOT DO THIS!
KXTSZQZ.png

Yes, that is a 2Puffs drip tip in the background.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Whats up with the Pawnstar's guy "Rick Harrison" promoting his shaver .

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I laugh when I see that!!!! "Clamshell" razors from China are to be avoided at all costs. They tend to not stay closed...this causes the blade to flatten out mid shave, with catastrophic results. Especially when using Feather brand blades (the only brand I use).

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Your bald, no shit really ? The bald look does work for a lot of people by the way , nothing wrong with the Q ball look , just wanted to make that clear .

Bald guys rule
I think
tkA1meZ.jpg

We try to rule at any rate....
u3YDF8e.png

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
tkA1meZ.jpg

We try to rule at any rate....
u3YDF8e.png

Didn't you say you were uglier than a pile of shit , well your full of shit my friend , woman are probably beating down your door as we speak . Now don't get any crazy thought's , my comments DO NOT mean" i must have you " , are we clear , i hope so.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Didn't you say you were uglier than a pile of shit , well your full of shit my friend , woman are probably beating down your door as we speak . Now don't get any crazy thought's , my comments DO NOT mean i want you , are we clear , i hope so.
Women do in fact beat down my door...EVERY DAY!!!! Apparently this used to be a lesbian nightclub......BUT ANYWAY.....I am gutted that you do not want me *cut*.....I will remember this if we ever do prison time together! :)

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Early on when VU started you had a pic of "Marty Feldman " i recall , i actually thought that was you lol , i said to myself dang man , that really is one ugly mother fucker , looks just like MF .

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Early on when VU started you had a pic of "Marty Feldman " i recall , i actually thought that was you lol , i said to myself dang man , that really is one ugly mother fucker , looks like MF .
LOLOLOLOL

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's to a quick recovery to your Dovo!

I feel that (after I make a huge DIY juice purchase) I can go ahead and get myself a beginner's kit thanks to the info shared here. You guys are the best!

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Here's to a quick recovery to your Dovo!

I feel that (after I make a huge DIY juice purchase) I can go ahead and get myself a beginner's kit thanks to the info shared here. You guys are the best!

You are most welcome...and feel free to ask questions any time sir!

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Women do in fact beat down my door...EVERY DAY!!!! Apparently this used to be a lesbian nightclub......BUT ANYWAY.....I am gutted that you do not want me *cut*.....I will remember this if we ever do prison time together! :)

If at all possible i would prefer to have you as a friend , yes, i know it hurts but it's just got to be that way . I prefer woman , i am sorry , a sex change just doesn't work for me i'm afraid , i tend to gravitate to woman who are actually born that way .

Is it politically correct , i doubt it but i just don't see making a change at this point ..

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
If at all possible i would prefer to have you as a friend , yes, i know it hurts but it's just got to be that way . I prefer woman , i am sorry , a sex change just doesn't work for me i'm afraid , got to be born a woman .
I will survive......I will survive........as long as I know how to love, I know........ok, enough of that! My "Someone" will be pleased to know that I have not strayed to the male side!

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I will survive......I will survive........as long as I know how to love, I know........ok, enough of that! My "Someone" will be pleased to know that I have not strayed to the male side!

Yes, i'm sure , i know how difficult it is for you not to give in to your urges but it's just better that way . I think , actually i know , and there is no need to think about this more , i'm 100% positive on this one.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Can we get back to razors now lol. Can anyone post links of good razors that are worth buying ?

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I was just emailed this and i thought it was pretty funny so forgive me lol. Might be old but i'm posting it anyway .

Ron Chestna 89 years of age was stopped by the police around 2 a.m. and was asked where he was going at that time of night .

Ron replied, "I'm on my way to a lecture about alcohol abuse and the effects it has on the human body, as well as smoking and staying out late."The officer asked, "Really? Who's giving that lecture at this time of night?" Ron replied, "That would be my wife." |

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Remaining single does seem to pay off franciscan , especially if you like to do stuff like the guy above lol , dealing with an enraged wife is just another major hassle you got to deal with and thats if you even make it home safe .

Making it inside without losing your life could be the most difficult part of the whole night , some females are outright ferocious , i mean really really ferocious , no joke.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Remaining single does seem to pay off franciscan , especially if you like to do stuff like the guy above lol , dealing with an enraged wife is a bitch .
I will remain single until God decides otherwise.....not ME......God. Funny thing about that post is that when the heart makes decisions....situations like that seldom if ever happen :)

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
We should all think with out heart then , how we transfer the heart into the head is the problem, dammit man , nothings easy anymore.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well whats the scoop on this dude ,

He says he shaves his head with a single blade.

And whats up with that "Shave club" deal .

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Well whats the scoop on this dude ,

He says he shaves his head with a single blade.

And whats up with that "Shave club" deal .
I think he is just pitching a product...nothing more.

Bryan92081

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I own and use two Dovo straights and a Merkur 34C safety. What I recommend is to spend about 6 months with a safety until you develop "Blade Face" Most skin, especially in the jawline and neck areas are quite tender from using multi-blade and electrics. The secret to both types of razors is face prep...there are plenty of good videos on YouTube on the subject and are quite worth watching. One thing to understand...you will not get a BBS (Baby Butt Smooth) shave with a straight! You will visibly get a clean shave, but there will be perceptible stubble. After a year, you will start to get steadily improving results. Another thing that is a habit with multi blade razors is that you tend to "over shave"......with straights you do ONE pass only....after that, you are planing off skin. If you have any other questions...give me a PM :)
I've got a Merkur safety razor the wife bought me. I like cause I can peel off a weeks worth of beard if I need to, and cause I absolutely hate the way the multiple blade razors clog up. I'll have to admit though, the first few shaves looked like I used a chainsaw. You can definitely make a fillet o' face if not careful. Straight razors scare the ever loving shit outta me. What if you really piss of the wife and have a "tragic shaving accident"...just sayin...

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I've got a Merkur safety razor the wife bought me. I like cause I can peel off a weeks worth of beard if I need to, and cause I absolutely hate the way the multiple blade razors clog up. I'll have to admit though, the first few shaves looked like I used a chainsaw. You can definitely make a fillet o' face if not careful. Straight razors scare the ever loving shit outta me. What if you really piss of the wife and have a "tragic shaving accident"...just sayin...
It really does not take much time before the 30 degree angle + use the weight of the razor only habit kicks in as you already know. Same thing applies with a straight. 30 degrees and a light touch...and the understanding that it takes pretty much a year to fully master it. In the 20+ years I've been using straights...I've only "cut" muhself three times....each time the cut was sealed (with the help of alum) within minutes. As for vindictive lasses.....let them watch you a few times....then hand them the razor so they can shave YOU!! It is quite the romantic thing..and really shows her how much you trust her......have you seen the Bond movie "Skyfall" where Eve Moneypenny is shaving James?? Makes one's heart beat faster....in a VERY good way!

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Thats not good , i have been known to hack the shit out of myself using the display model which doesn't even have any blades i might add , man i'm doomed for sure . Very depressed now lol.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes he is but i wondered if you had seen it and is it any good.
No. It is a cheaply made clamshell type, and I would not touch it with a ten foot pole. Gillette made that style back in the 50's, but they were designed to not loosen during use. I highly recommend vintage Gillette safety's...but not what Rick is pitching.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It really does not take much time before the 30 degree angle + use the weight of the razor only habit kicks in as you already know. Same thing applies with a straight. 30 degrees and a light touch...and the understanding that it takes pretty much a year to fully master it. In the 20+ years I've been using straights...I've only "cut" muhself three times....each time the cut was sealed (with the help of alum) within minutes. As for vindictive lasses.....let them watch you a few times....then hand them the razor so they can shave YOU!! It is quite the romantic thing..and really shows her how much you trust her......have you seen the Bond movie "Skyfall" where Eve Moneypenny is shaving James?? Makes one's heart beat faster....in a VERY good way!

Have you lost your F-N mind , might as well just end it myself . If your going to do this for Gods sake make sure it's not that time of the month either , they may look fine but they can "turn" .

Not unlike a person bitten by one of those Zombie thingees , you know when your just watching and waiting for them to turn , very scary .

If they turn then all hell breaks loose and you got to get the hell out there asap , i mean you got to fight to the death sometimes , seen it happen man , just too risky imo . Much easier to escape if they don't have a razor blade in their hand , don't ya think .

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No. It is a cheaply made clamshell type, and I would not touch it with a ten foot pole. Gillette made that style back in the 50's, but they were designed to not loosen during use. I highly recommend vintage Gillette safety's...but not what Rick is pitching.

Thanks buddy , will report back when it gets here , could always count on you man .

galsvapetoo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am totally into straight razor shaving its hard to maintain this beard buhahahahha

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am totally into straight razor shaving its hard to maintain this beard buhahahahha

I like your humor, anybody who digs Clark Wilhelm Griswald and his Busch tall boy pounding Eddie the (shitters full) cousin is A Ok with me lol.

And yes, i found out Clarks middle name is "Wilhelm" , i mean can a name fit any better , i think not , what a jackass , just way too funny lol. Clark W.Griswald

HA ha ha ha ha , i can't stop laughing .

galsvapetoo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like your humor, anybody who digs Clark Wilhelm Griswald and his Busch tall boy pounding Eddie the (shitters full) cousin is A Ok with me lol.

And yes, i found out Clarks middle name is "Wilhelm" , i mean can a name fit any better , i think not , what a jackass , just way too funny lol.
I love me some Clark griswald and I do what I can in the humor department. I figure if I can't laugh at myself shirt than I just shouldn't laugh. So I laugh at myself a lot :D

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I thought about using a straight razor for a while. I spend so much money on razors it is unreal. I came to the conclusion that next time I see a old fashion metal safety razor at a flea market or yard sale, I'm on it. The shave is damn near just as close double sided blades are cheap and you will not look like you did a bad juice deal with Scarface after a shave.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I safety razored for a good long while, kept getting in a rush and gave it up.
Did my skull and face with a straight ONCE, took forever and the only nick I got was when the now ex wife knocked on the door and startled me.. the tip did a tap on my cheek and laid it open to the bone.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Did my skull and face with a straight ONCE, took forever and the only nick I got was when the now ex wife knocked on the door and startled me.. the tip did a tap on my cheek and laid it open to the bone.[/QUOTE]

Perfect , just when i had worked up the guts to pull the trigger and give one a try , Dammit man , to the bone , really , F that .

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I love me some Clark griswald and I do what I can in the humor department. I figure if I can't laugh at myself shirt than I just shouldn't laugh. So I laugh at myself a lot :D

If you can laugh a few times a day at yourself or something else you will be a much happier person , Laughter is everything , some people have no sense of humor , of course i don't gel with those types. People need to loosen up, life isn't that serious lol.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Perfect , just when i had worked up the guts to pull the trigger and give one a try , Dammit man , to the bone , really , F that .
Dude it was high on the cheek, thin skin and just the tip.
It was close enough to mine eye that I just gave up.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Dude it was high on the cheek, thin skin and just the tip.
It was close enough to mine eye that I just gave up.

Busting your balls BN , most shit i post is just tongue n cheek .
images

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
all i can say is oh my gosh..
nothing finer than a smooth shaved man..

i might have a wet dollar here somewhere lmao.. :D

in honestly tho.. that is the closest shave one can ever hope to achieve..
trust me, my legs know :p;)

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
all i can say is oh my gosh..
nothing finer than a smooth shaved man..

i might have a wet dollar here somewhere lmao.. :D

in honestly tho.. that is the closest shave one can ever hope to achieve..
trust me, my legs know :p;)

I prefer a smooth shaved woman actually , as long as the stache isn't too thick and there's no weed's growing out of the button i'm good. Oh God , got to heave :

images

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I thought about using a straight razor for a while. I spend so much money on razors it is unreal. I came to the conclusion that next time I see a old fashion metal safety razor at a flea market or yard sale, I'm on it. The shave is damn near just as close double sided blades are cheap and you will not look like you did a bad juice deal with Scarface after a shave.
Look for 50's era Gillettes or Merkurs.....Edwin Jaeger is another superb choice. As for blades, Merkur makes good ones, but Feathers are the sharpest. I get my Feather blades from a supplier in Singapore.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Did my skull and face with a straight ONCE, took forever and the only nick I got was when the now ex wife knocked on the door and startled me.. the tip did a tap on my cheek and laid it open to the bone.
A majority of rash issues can be traced back to the blade. There is a fine line between shaving off beard hair and planing the top layers of skin. I bin my Feather blades after about 5 shaves. I also only use soaps that contain a high percentage of lanolin or a moderate amount of Bentonite clay. Mitchell's Wool Fat is probably the best triple milled soap I've used....but as any triple, it is HARD as granite...and not quick to devolop a lather.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
A majority of rash issues can be traced back to the blade. There is a fine line between shaving off beard hair and planing the top layers of skin. I bin my Feather blades after about 5 shaves. I also only use soaps that contain a high percentage of lanolin or a moderate amount of Bentonite clay. Mitchell's Wool Fat is probably the best triple milled soap I've used....but as any triple, it is HARD as granite...and not quick to devolop a lather.
Cannot do sheep wool grease, it fucks my skin up badly.
Have done Olive oil, current line up tho is Jack Black's Beard lube. Just can;t do cartridge razors they do not last long enough to get more than half a shave out of them.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Cannot do sheep wool grease, it fucks my skin up badly.
Have done Olive oil, current line up tho is Jack Black's Beard lube. Just can;t do cartridge razors they do not last long enough to get more than half a shave out of them.
Check out Whoos The Man

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Picked this bad boy up today at an antique shop for $25. Seneca Razor & Mfg Co. Geneva, NY (which is 40 minutes away from me).

Now to get some polish, honing stones, and a strop...
d8b6b655a6f0f09170d28101cfa5a688.jpg

VU Sponsors