Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Last edited:

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Efest rewraps other companies batteries and lies about their specs. I don't buy efest. Sony vtc3 and vtc4 are the only true 30 amp continuous cells you're gonna find. There are lots of fakes out there so only buy from a known and trusted vendor.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Efest rewraps other companies batteries and lies about their specs. I don't buy efest. Sony vtc3 and vtc4 are the only true 30 amp continuous cells you're gonna find. There are lots of fakes out there so only buy from a known and trusted vendor.

You might find this interesting

Also, I reached out to EFEST and asked them point blank if they rewrap their batteries. Here is what they said:
Screenshot_2015-03-26-12-03-57.png

Idk how I feel about it but that seems like a solid course.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-26-12-03-57.png
    524.8 KB · Views: 662

jarhead045

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Also, I reached out to EFEST and asked them point blank if they rewrap their batteries. Here is what they said:

I wish I could find a video that shows someone actually testing a few to show mainly, if the 30A continuous dis.(38A max) stated by the manufacturer holds truth or not, and show where they got them.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hmmmmm I might need to make one. What is the best way to test that in a safe scientific manner?

jarhead045

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hmmmmm I might need to make one. What is the best way to test that in a safe scientific manner?
I tried googling around a bit to find out how one might go about safely/scientifically testing for max continuous blah blah, but it seems it's not as easy as one would have it :(.... I'm starting to understand why nobody's done it. But if one could find a way to at least test the 'C-rating' of a battery, the max continuous blah blah, can be figured out by a simple calculation I reckon-
(max amp draw = (mAh/1000) * C rating)...

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm going to do some research. That would be a good vid to post. Educational wise

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just get sony VTC4's and youre good for anything you need..A true 30 amps...Theirs not much need for new science needed here and you wont reinvent any sort of testing that doesnt already exist.

Their is no such thing as an 18650 battery with more than a continuous amp draw of 30 amps...period...there's also no such thing as a 5000 mah 18650 either...All those advertisement are bullshit.

The best 20 amp out right now are Samsung 25R's.
The next best 20amp seems to be the LG HE2
The best 30 amp are sony VTC3 or 4's.

Case closed on all the other batteries.

jarhead045

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Can vtc4 handle .12 ohm at at least 80 watts :( I'm thinking not eh? Guess I'll just have to stick to higher ohmage until I can get at least a parallel 18650 mod :'(

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you use 80w with a .12 thats pulling 25 amps at 3.1v...but that wont work with a mech mod...at 4.2v its a 35 amp draw and over 140 watts.

jarhead045

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Really?! Wow ok awesome, that's not bad at all, I was thinking it would be more towards 30A at .2 and I'd be pushing the limits of a vtc4 even at .2 but that's good to know, thanks.

jarhead045

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Really? Wow I think whatever calculator I was using was way off, or maybe im just remembering it wrong.

Phone Guy

Member For 4 Years
I have heard only GOOD thing's about the Samsung 25R. The sony VTC are really hard to get now, and I would be suspicious of almost anybody (dealer) selling them. Most of the cases with fake's are the store's themselves don't know they're fake either... They buy from XYZ vape vendor as genuine, sell to the consumer as genuine - but they could be fakes from the wholesaler - it's not necessarily the dealer's fault. And to my knowledge the VTC# have been non-existant for quite some time now, that's why I'd be scared to buy at this stage.

ME PERSONALLY, I'd buy the Samsung's. (sorry bro)

90quattrocoupe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
These test were done by a friend of mine. If you have any questions, don't ask me, as I will not know. The equipment used here is pretty good and the testing is better than any others I have seen by anyone else. So this may answer some of your questions.

This is the reason I only use Samsung 25Rs. You can't seem to get VTC5s any more and the mAh on VTCs4s is only 2100, VTC3s even lower. The Samsungs can be hard for less money.

Battery Load Testing

This a start of load testing of some of the popular high current batteries. The batteries tested so far are all new 18650 and conditioned, with the exception of the Sony VTC5.
A series a tests will be performed on the batteries that are tailored toward the way it is used in vape gear.

The equipment used is a Maynuo Electronic load, connected to a PC. The PC controls the electronic load and logs the data from the tests performed. I built the battery rig, which incorporates small fans to pull heat from the battery if needed at high current drains. It is also used for after cooling to help bring the battery back to normal state and ready for charging.

This first test places the battery under a constant current load, but pulsed for 4 seconds on, and 5 seconds off. This cycle continues until the battery reaches a 2.5 volt cutoff.
Batteries tested:
Sony US18650VTC5
Samsung INR18650-25R 2500 mAh
LG - 18650HE2 2500 mAh
Efest 18650 (Purple 35A)
MXJO 18650 2500 mAh
SubOhmCell 35A 2800 mAh

Of note is the SubOhmCell 18650. This battery runs hot. Doing a 30 amp discharge test was very iffy. Also, this battery is very slow to recharge.

Since mech mods do not run at constant current, the next set of test will be with a constant resistance, but pulsed for X amount of cycles.

.4 Ohm Load Test.
This test loads the battery at .4 ohms for 4 seconds on, and 4 seconds off. It is run for about a total period of 13 minutes.
The actual data numbers are shown for the Samsung-25R battery. at this load, all batteries performed very close, all within .1 volts.
I didnt run the batteries down to its cutoff, as I dont think anyone would when actually vaping.

Here are the data numbers from the .3 ohm test. Although the chart makes some batteries look bad, I'd say there is no winner. They all perform very close. If another battery was used, or different charger used, that battery could easily be higher than all the rest.

So, given the test process that is closer to to way you vape, all of these higher current batteries will perform well. But at very low ohm builds, the more influence the mod and atty will have. A mod/atty with a .1 volt loss, can lose 20 watts of power.

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like the 1 second voltage of the .4 test. Even the best start at 3.8volts. Shows how inaccurate using 4.2 volts would be for calculation with a .1 ohm load.

getek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I wish people would stop acting like the Sony vtc4 is no longer available... Illumn.com had then in stock... A good, reputable supplier.
And if you search a little it appears that they have met with reps from Sony about the supply problems since the tsunami.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's a nice bench test graph and thank you to whoever did it since you said it was a friend of yours....

I'd like to see more tests done with the newer LG HE4...supposedly it is a more stable version of the HE2 and handles and disappates heat and stress much better than it's older twin....the heat and the stress we put on our batteries buy firing them in pulses even inside the high range of their continuous discharge rating is what causes their internal resistance to rise and their performance and life to go down....I saw one video with them by PVA last night flipping threw youtube but I'd like to see a several cycle test done to see if they really handle stress and heat better than their HE2 siblings.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wish people would stop acting like the Sony vtc4 is no longer available... Illumn.com had then in stock... A good, reputable supplier.
And if you search a little it appears that they have met with reps from Sony about the supply problems since the tsunami.

Indeed. LightningVapes.com liionwholesale.com also have real ones in stock.

jarhead045

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Which would mean I would be safe up to 100 watts at .2 ohms and 93 watts at .15

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I thought the max current on the 25r was 25 amps?
No, 20A.
Which would mean I would be safe up to 100 watts at .2 ohms and 93 watts at .15
On a regulated mod? 80W and 60W respectively but I think the math is more complicated than that. Depends on how many batteries are being used and what method of wattage control is being used as well. I think.

I was hoping the new 38A efests were somehow real. I guess not. Are they rewrapping the same 20A cells that were advertised as 35A pulse and just making the rating even more ridiculous at 38A continuous?

This VTC thing is driving me fucking crazy. I wish I had saved a screenshot of the correspondence, allegedly from Sony, that stated they hadn't made any VTCs since late 2013(?). I may have the date wrong but it was long enough in the past that I immediately gave up on getting real ones ever again.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
Excellent thread! Lots of good information here.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
It claims to be a 30 amp CDR / 40 amp PDR battery. At 2500mAh... Yeah. No.
Yeah, I saw them at a local B&M that is known for carrying high end mods and premium products. But after reading this thread, and not finding a lot of info on the web, I wasn't so sure anymore. 2 batteries for $28, or 2 VTC4 at the same price ... figured I would at least look into it.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I saw them at a local B&M that is known for carrying high end mods and premium products. But after reading this thread, and not finding a lot of info on the web, I wasn't so sure anymore. 2 batteries for $28, or 2 VTC4 at the same price ... figured I would at least look into it.

Yeah. Also, seriously, buy batteries on line. http://liionwholesale.com/ http://www.lightningvapes.com/ www.illumn.com all good places to get batteries. Two VTC4s from liion cost me about $17 plus some S&H.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Those boost batteries may as well be what they claim or that may not. Those specs are very close to what the VTC 5 is supposed to be....In general with all the rewrapping and faking that has gone on over the last couple years if it's not an established name and there's not a spec sheet or an independent bench test of any kind somewhere I can Google tend to stay away from new things.

I mean first it was AW, then it was the VTC's, and there are all the XXXXfire brands and all the rewrapps putting pulse ratings on the sticker claiming that's the discharge rate and the pulse rating might not even be correct.

I know it would be nice to have some more 30 amp or high continuous drain 18650's, believe me...but the 20, 22, 24, and 30 amp batteries we have now were never really intended to be used what we use them for....we just kinda made them work because that is what we had to work with. IMHO...sticking with the trusted names from trusted sellers is the safest way to go. I still use VTC 3's and 1600 mah AW's...they have a 24 amp continuous discharge rating...old battery designs yes...but if it ain't broke don't fix it....and around the house the difference between a 1600 mah battery and at 2000-2100 mah isn't that many puffs :) The Samsung 20R has been my go to battery since fall of 2013 when I got my first mod...I had to get them from flashlight and battery stores because I couldn't find them on vape sites....do I think they're the best battery? No, but they're dependable and the 22 amp limit is more than enough for my little .24 coils....if it get's the job done safely its good enough for me

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
Yeah. Also, seriously, buy batteries on line. http://liionwholesale.com/ http://www.lightningvapes.com/ www.illumn.com all good places to get batteries. Two VTC4s from liion cost me about $17 plus some S&H.

Yeah, I usually do get them online, was really just wondering about these since they were local and I could support local business. Almost every battery I own was bought from either illumn or RTDVapor ...

Those boost batteries may as well be what they claim or that may not. Those specs are very close to what the VTC 5 is supposed to be....In general with all the rewrapping and faking that has gone on over the last couple years if it's not an established name and there's not a spec sheet or an independent bench test of any kind somewhere I can Google tend to stay away from new things.

I mean first it was AW, then it was the VTC's, and there are all the XXXXfire brands and all the rewrapps putting pulse ratings on the sticker claiming that's the discharge rate and the pulse rating might not even be correct.

I know it would be nice to have some more 30 amp or high continuous drain 18650's, believe me...but the 20, 22, 24, and 30 amp batteries we have now were never really intended to be used what we use them for....we just kinda made them work because that is what we had to work with. IMHO...sticking with the trusted names from trusted sellers is the safest way to go. I still use VTC 3's and 1600 mah AW's...they have a 24 amp continuous discharge rating...old battery designs yes...but if it ain't broke don't fix it....and around the house the difference between a 1600 mah battery and at 2000-2100 mah isn't that many puffs :) The Samsung 20R has been my go to battery since fall of 2013 when I got my first mod...I had to get them from flashlight and battery stores because I couldn't find them on vape sites....do I think they're the best battery?e No, but they're dependable and the 22 amp limit is more than enough for my little .24 coils....if it get's the job done safely its good enough for me

Thanks @madmonkey! I probably don't even need 30 amp batteries, I'm running authentic AWs in my ZNAs. I have both the old and new 18490 AWs and a couple of the old 18650 (2000mah?) AW Button tops. I do need some new batteries though, as I did just buy a VF Clone and an IPV Mini 2 and was looking to get batteries before they arrived. Everything is pointing at the Samsung 25Rs for performance vs. cost, they are likely what I will end up with. EDITED TO REMOVE STUPIDITY! LOL!

Last edited:

Lmfao.... they cannot even put a sentence together properly or spell, at least know how to spell if your going to be going around scamming people, that video of that Efest 2500mah being unwrapped is all the proof I need that shit is clearly a rewrapped battery, unbelievable all my batteries are "efest" brand I'm surprised none of them have not blown up on me yet

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you use 80w with a .12 thats pulling 25 amps at 3.1v...but that wont work with a mech mod...at 4.2v its a 35 amp draw and over 140 watts.

No way will you have 4.2 volts. Realistically you might have ~3.5 when you press the button. As much as Id like to say you shouldn't do this, it would be ~29 amps, and within the limits of a VTC4. But we are talking "EXACTALY" 0.12 ohms. You'll also have some voltage dropped in the mod itself.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No way will you have 4.2 volts. Realistically you might have ~3.5 when you press the button. As much as Id like to say you shouldn't do this, it would be ~29 amps, and within the limits of a VTC4. But we are talking "EXACTALY" 0.12 ohms. You'll also have some voltage dropped in the mod itself.
.12 ohms on a mech mod, even with voltage drop will pull more wattage and draw more amps...Regulated are adjustable as you know...Mech are only adjusted wattage/amp wise via the coil ohms...The 4.2v is perfect conditions..just used as an example.

If you have a mech mod that drops voltage down to 3.5v when you fire it (on a freshly charged battery) you need a new mod or battery...lol

Last edited:

Mykline

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lmfao.... they cannot even put a sentence together properly or spell, at least know how to spell if your going to be going around scamming people, that video of that Efest 2500mah being unwrapped is all the proof I need that shit is clearly a rewrapped battery, unbelievable all my batteries are "efest" brand I'm surprised none of them have not blown up on me yet
Back in the day when we had VCRs there were only 5 manufactures in the world. 4 in Japan and one in Korea. But there were like fifty brands on the market. They were all made by the 5 manufacturers. I believe the dvd players are the same way. I am pretty sure there are a limited amount of battery manufactures in the world. So most of them are rewraps.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Back in the day when we had VCRs there were only 5 manufactures in the world. 4 in Japan and one in Korea. But there were like fifty brands on the market. They were all made by the 5 manufacturers. I believe the dvd players are the same way. I am pretty sure there are a limited amount of battery manufactures in the world. So most of them are rewraps.

I only know of these as far as vape batteries are concerned...im sure theirs more but none i recognize as what we might use in vapes but what i listed

Sony
Samsung
LG
Panasonic
Sanyo

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I only know of these as far as vape batteries are concerned...im sure theirs more but none i recognize as what we might use in vapes but what i listed

Sony
Samsung
LG
Panasonic
Sanyo

Actually Sanyo and Panasonic are the same batteries, so you're down to 4.

There are for sure a bunch of chinese manufacturers of batteries, and they're great when you're looking for a low cost commodity cell but generally they can't match the big manufacturers when it comes to a top of the line high drain battery.

VU Sponsors