Become a Patron!

Blueberry Cheesecake

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
question. I use to mix at 70vg, 30pg. I see a lot of recipes at 80% vg. I mix now at 50/50 under the assumption it carries more flavor. I don't care about big clouds. Does 50/50 carry more flavor? I don't notice a difference in throat hit. So why are so many recipes maxed with VG? I want flavor not clouds, am I on the right track here?

Yes very much; PG seems to allow you to taste the juice a lot more clearly. High-VG cloud chasing got to be a fad, "my cloud is bigger than your cloud," people imagining that if they don't completely fog the room, they're not really 'satisfied," etc. Really it beats the hell out of me; I love how my 85% PG provides about the same amount of exhalation as when I smoked, but it dissipates MUCH faster, and obviously, doesn't stink. :D

50/50 is probably sufficient VG to make a nice cloud, and not provide too hard a TH. If you want even more flavor and the TH doesn't bother you, you might even try 70/30; it makes the clouds a little thinner, so they dissipate faster; better for stealth vaping. :D I personally want a lot of TH, a lot of flavor, and not a lot of cloud, so I vape 85% or 86% PG.

Andria

timmer

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
thanks Andria. I was wondering if I was throwing the flavor off by less VG. I think big clouds are embarrassing, like you, I like stealth vap with big flavor. I just made a mix I love. 5% honeydew/5%mango/3 papaya. that's it. I love it. First fruit vap I have enjoyed. I thought it would be dry with no creams, a good change of pace.

timmer

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm so dumb, it's cantaloupe, mango and papaya. lol. I was mixing monster melon. I used honeydew instead of cantaloupe, made 100mls. drrr. Made 100 mls the right way. Now to get on with cheese cake, I'm going to use Hebob's base and Andiran's fruit idea.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
question. I use to mix at 70vg, 30pg. I see a lot of recipes at 80% vg. I mix now at 50/50 under the assumption it carries more flavor. I don't care about big clouds. Does 50/50 carry more flavor? I don't notice a difference in throat hit. So why are so many recipes maxed with VG? I want flavor not clouds, am I on the right track here?

I too am after the flavor and could care less about clouds.
Which is why I'm running 70/30VG with an older designed tank & low watts.
So many of the RDAs & RTAs now have been designed for sub-ohm, high VG & Clouds.

timmer

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hebob, 30% vg? That is interesting. I've never gone below 50 and I thought 50 was low. Now I can go lower. I am wondering what tank and set up your using. I've been using the avacado, geek vape. I think it's the best I've tried so far for flavor. I don't like dripping. Question Hebob, how many ohms to you go and how many watts for best flavor? I have some clampton coils at .05 ohms, about 60 watts. This is a great topic, what's the best ohm and watts for best flavor..and use of pg. I'll tell you I live in such a remote area of the Philippines that it's hard to get vape stuff. The VG I'm using is from a grocery store.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hebob, 30% vg? That is interesting. I've never gone below 50 and I thought 50 was low. Now I can go lower. I am wondering what tank and set up your using. I've been using the avacado, geek vape. I think it's the best I've tried so far for flavor. I don't like dripping. Question Hebob, how many ohms to you go and how many watts for best flavor? I have some clampton coils at .05 ohms, about 60 watts. This is a great topic, what's the best ohm and watts for best flavor..and use of pg. I'll tell you I live in such a remote area of the Philippines that it's hard to get vape stuff. The VG I'm using is from a grocery store.

Anyvape Davide Glassomizer, almost like a Kanger PT2, and it uses the same rebuildable coils/head.
And using with a Kanger Airflow Controller, but still only good for MTL.
Smaller juice channels/slots work better with thinner juice.
Airflow comes from beneath the coil so flavor is better IMO.
Coils I make are around 1.8 ohms and running just 7-8 watts mostly.
This setup will only work for MTL as I believe it was designed that way.
Never had any problems with leaking, flooding, or dry hits.

The other is a Joyetech Tron-S, but using the optional CLR 1.0 ohm heads only.
Airflow can be dialed down for MTL. (same as Kanger airflow from under the coil)
But can also work for DL.

Both atomizers can be rebuilt.

The problem with high watts is you need more airflow to help keep it from burning up.
MTL with high watts just heated up my tanks too much and burnt my mouth.
Juice becomes so thin from the heat it will seep out.

timmer

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi Hebob. check this out, today I was in town and saw some vapers, which is rare here. I talked to them a little, then had them try some juice I made, two actually. All three of them are cloud chasers, so they dripped some of my 50/50 juice and coughed on every attempt, they hated it because they couldn't get past the coughing. You think this could be because of the 50 pg? they take huge hits with high watts. Lung hitters. I love these juices, clones of mikes melon and bronuts. I wonder what was the problem. Needless to say it was a blow to my juice making ego, lol. I take mtl hits and not huge hits, flavor hits. I did make some of your cheese cake base last night, steeping now.

timmer

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One more thing. Most recipes I see are very high in VG. why is that if D.i.Y.ers are after flavor, what am I missing here? doesn't this dilute the flavor for the sake of clouds? I am under the assumption that Pg carries the flavor and vg is for clouds, so why do so many recipes have such high vg ratios?

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
One more thing. Most recipes I see are very high in VG. why is that if D.i.Y.ers are after flavor, what am I missing here? doesn't this dilute the flavor for the sake of clouds? I am under the assumption that Pg carries the flavor and vg is for clouds, so why do so many recipes have such high vg ratios?

Recipes should only tell you what flavors to use -- the ratio of PG/VG and amount of nic are the customizable elements (even moreso than the flavoring!), strictly up to the mixer, and has no place in a recipe. The high-VG thing is just a fad, for those who think a thicker cloud somehow equals more satisfaction.

Andria

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You think this could be because of the 50 pg? they take huge hits with high watts. Lung hitters.

Yes DL vapers will choke on the higher PG mixes as PG does have more TH than VG.
No problem with MTL, (analog style), though.

The PG/VG flavor issue is quite a controversial topic among vapers.
Those that vape high VG mixes claim to taste the flavors just fine.
But the same can be said for the PG camp also.
I know it's confusing but it just seems the nature of the beast.
You will have to find your own personal preference.

And for me, both at work, and at home, the fog machines are verbotin.

timmer

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks hebob. I use to mix at high vg because I was in love with the clouds. I remember the old days a c5 clearo with a little stick with a weird adaptor, forgot the name, evic? it would die out, short out or something and I would end up smoking cigarettes again. then drippers came out and now these amazing tanks and mods and batteries, it's come a long ways. I'm enjoying this a lot, just mixed up a few hundred mils of different recipes, waiting for them to steep. Haven't smoke a cigarette in about 3 years, use to smoke two packs a day. had a non stop deep cough, now, no more coughing at all.

Last edited:

NolesDave

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is a good recipe. I also agree that the filling is a bit light. Still tastes great. And I sub-ohm! I run a Jay-Bo Reuleaux RX200S and a SMOK TF-V4 tank with octuplet coils at 110 watts. I make my juice at 70/30 or 80/20 VG/PG and have no issues with taste. While I do get massive clouds, the flavor is also what I'm after. I simply prefer huge lung hits, and don't really care one way or another about the size of the clouds. Fruits and creams really come alive on this rig.

As for this recipe, try adding the following:

0.5% FW yellow cake
0.75% LA cream cheese icing

I'm vaping this now, without steeping, and it is dangerously good. I'll make a bigger batch and steep it for comparison.

SquareofPrimes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This sounds great! My favorite recipe right now is an Aftermath clone that includes BB. This should be awesome, and so basic. Thanks!

EDIT: as a side-note, I make all of my juices at max VG and I could care less about clouds. When I first started DIY mixing I remember reading a post here somewhere that recommended vaping a tank or two of PURE PG and VG to know those base flavors. I couldn't stand the PG because of the fuel-like flavor, and could taste it in many of the juices. Once I removed it, the flavors came out much more and that nasty aftertaste went away. But of course this is just my tastebuds... I actually make juice for a friend who insists on 100% PG and can find no one who makes it through retail. :D To each his/her own.

Last edited:

Comfygirl

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Another option for sweetening is Stevia.
I use NOW brand Better Stevia in Glycerite(VG) diluted 50% with PG for easier mixing/measuring.
Doesn't seem to bother wicks too much, but again I only use a few drops.
But normally I'm using other flavors to help sweeten anyway.
0.5-1% FA Marshmallow
0.5-1% FA Meringue
0.5% FA Coconut (adds a buttery effect, for me anyway)
0.5-1% TFA Brown Sugar (although this one is known for coil gunking also)
1-2% CAP Vanilla Whipped Cream (sometimes used)
Sweet Cream, TFA Dairy Milk, INW Shisha Vanilla
(Creams & Vanillas seem to have a positive effect on sweetening things up too).
(Even adding some TFA Strawberry Ripe can bring some sweetness to the mix).
Hi, I believe you've touted your fondness for Dairy Milk. Do you prefer TFA? I'm putting an order in today (15% coupon!!) And was going to include a dairy milk. Is there one you use without baddies? Or do you just prefer life on the edge? Either or I guess for me... I survived two different wars... I can survive anything! LoL

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hi, I believe you've touted your fondness for Dairy Milk. Do you prefer TFA? I'm putting an order in today (15% coupon!!) And was going to include a dairy milk. Is there one you use without baddies? Or do you just prefer life on the edge? Either or I guess for me... I survived two different wars... I can survive anything! LoL

Dairy Milk has been my favorite for awhile now, just reordered another 30ml:D.
Na, baddies don't bother me at all, still way safer than analogs.
FW Milk is a close second but needs twice the amount.
FE Oak Milk is good too, but the "baddies" are unknown.
CAP Sweet Cream & TFA DX Sweet Cream are the only ones I know of that are clean.
Good flavors but I don't think they taste the same as Dairy Milk at all.

Comfygirl

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Ok then! I've ordered it. Probably my last vape mail order for the year.

Now I wait... lol

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Dairy Milk has been my favorite for awhile now, just reordered another 30ml:D.
Na, baddies don't bother me at all, still way safer than analogs.
FW Milk is a close second but needs twice the amount.
FE Oak Milk is good too, but the "baddies" are unknown.
CAP Sweet Cream & TFA DX Sweet Cream are the only ones I know of that are clean.
Good flavors but I don't think they taste the same as Dairy Milk at all.

And Capella Sweet Cream is ABSOLUTELY authentic tasting, just like real cream. I use it in food, too, since we eat a low-fat diet.

Andria

Comfygirl

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I made this recipe with 2% shish strawberry just now. Can't wait to see if it's good! But... I'm a patient steeper for the most part. I have bottles ready that I haven't even tried yet to keep me busy.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I made this recipe with 2% shish strawberry just now. Can't wait to see if it's good! But... I'm a patient steeper for the most part. I have bottles ready that I haven't even tried yet to keep me busy.

Funny you should mention that, I mixed up the same thing yesterday as I've not tried mixing NY Cheesecake with Shisha SB yet.
2% Shisha SB INW
4% NY Cheesecake CAP
3% Graham Cracker Clear TFA
2% Yogurt FA
1% Condensed Milk FA

Went a bit crazy adding the other 3 tho.
Drip taste is pretty good but SB seems to be getting overpowered a bit.
Might have to cut those last 3 in half next time.

jackmormon

Member For 4 Years
I adapted Bigtiny's Strawberry Cheesecake recipe from ELR and it turned out awesome. Even for a noob like me. I think there is something magic about Shisha SB. Let it steep for 3 weeks before trying it. Don't know if if needs that long.

6% Cheescake Graham Cracker Crust TFA
10% Strawberry Ripe TFA
2% Shisha Strawberry INW

I made it without the Shisha SB on my 1st try and was like where the hell is the strawberry flavoring.

So I think I will call this recipe...Where's the Strawberry?

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I adapted Bigtiny's Strawberry Cheesecake recipe from ELR and it turned out awesome. Even for a noob like me. I think there is something magic about Shisha SB. Let it steep for 3 weeks before trying it. Don't know if if needs that long.

6% Cheescake Graham Cracker Crust TFA
10% Strawberry Ripe TFA
2% Shisha Strawberry INW

I made it without the Shisha SB on my 1st try and was like where the hell is the strawberry flavoring.

So I think I will call this recipe...Where's the Strawberry?

Heh.. "Where's the strawberry?" is exactly what I said when I tried Cuttwood Unicorn Milk at a local B&M. :giggle:

Andria

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Just made one recently using 10% Strawberry Ripe myself, same deal.
Had to add 2% Shisha SB, then it was much better.

NolesDave

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
CAP sweet cream is the real deal, i agree. I enjoy adding 0.5% CAP sweet cream and 0.5% TFA marshmallow to my peppermint recipes, especially Kringle's Curse. The combination really smooths out the peppermint bite and adds that authentic Halo "hint of sweetness". I also use the sweet cream in my strawberrry cheesecake and shortcake recipes, anywhere from 0.25-0.5%, as well. CAP sweet cream works very well with CAP cream cheese icing also, if you have a sweet tooth for your fruits.

VU Sponsors