Become a Patron!

Burned battery, is it safe?

I've been vaping for about a year, never had any significant problems. Last night, I fired my mod (Smok R200, firing on 70 watts) for a few seconds without hitting it. I noticed a weird smell but didn't think anything of it. This morning, when getting out my battery to charge it, I noticed that the positive end of the battery was burned.

Most of the burn is on the white coating, and only a tiny bit of the top metal is burned. My instinct is to throw the battery out but I don't want to assume there's a huge problem if this is mostly safe. I'm out of the country right now and can't get new batteries for about a week - should I be safe vaping at a low wattage in the meantime?

Thanks, picture below.

Edit: I should note that I hit it this morning a few times before realizing there was a problem, and it seemed to work fine.

webcam-toy-photo1 (6).jpg

This video talks about a breakdown in the barrier between the electrodes at the top and bottom of the vape as the cause of battery explosions, and I don't think that a bit of charring at the top would affect this. That said, could it cause other problems?

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
That battery has been shorted. It is impossible to tell by looking at the battery if its safe to use. Either you had a knick in the wrapping and it shorted or you have some other bigger problem. It's your safety so you have to decide if you want to use it or not.

First, thanks for the reply. I scraped softly at the battery and noticed that the metal part of the battery is not at all burned. The wrapper around the battery is also fully intact. Could you explain what it means that the battery has shorted?

Damn. Does the fact that nothing like that has happened to me despite firing it a few times imply that the battery has not shorted yet?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Damn. Does the fact that nothing like that has happened to me despite firing it a few times imply that the battery has not shorted yet?
Something shorted the battery, prolly for a millisecond...I wouldn't use the damn thing, batteries are cheap as hell, no point in pushing your luck.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT

It is visible and evident the battery has shorted. That is not open to dispute. Probably should scoop up a couple of batteries. It's your safety bro, you can use it if you just feel inclined but I feel confident you are not likely to get a green light on that from anyone here.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Like others have said, it looks like it shorted.

I think of it this way:
If it’s something to question than it’s time to toss it and replace it.

bestkeptsecret

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
The photo is a bit blurry but that does look like the cell has vented a little rather than it being a case of the top burned from arcing.

If it were me, it would be straight in the bin along with the cell that you had it paired with. I'd then check the battery compartment to make sure there was nothing going on in there with particular attention to any damage around the terminal where the faulty battery was. I'd also check that there is nothing foreign floating around that could cause a short. Finally I'd clean the battery terminals for good measure.

Mostly safe doesn't work for me and that cell represents an unnecessary increased risk which you can't quantify. I don't mostly not want to be picking mod parts out of the chemical burns on my face, I'd rather never have to.

Its up to you what you choose to do but no-one in their right mind would recommend that you continue to use that cell.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It looks like something shorted across the top of the battery to me and I would like to see the inside of the MOD that happened in.

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It almost looks as if a tiny bit of wire or something got in there and shorted - then when that scrap was burned, it stopped...
As others have said, I'd try to replace immediately... and I'd shake the mod or look in there with a flashlight - make sure there's no metal flakes or anything that could do this to your next battery too...

First, thanks for the reply. I scraped softly at the battery and noticed that the metal part of the battery is not at all burned. The wrapper around the battery is also fully intact. Could you explain what it means that the battery has shorted?

Thanks all for the replies. I tossed the batteries. As for the inside of the mod, there does appear to be some slight burn damage -- I'll upload a pic to demonstrate. Should I toss the mod?

webcam-toy-photo3.jpg

bestkeptsecret

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Thanks all for the replies. I tossed the batteries. As for the inside of the mod, there does appear to be some slight burn damage -- I'll upload a pic to demonstrate. Should I toss the mod?

View attachment 113253

From this photo if that bit in the middle of the burn damage is metal and not isolated from that positive terminal then my guess would be that was protruding slightly, damaged the wrap on your battery and lead to the short.

Personally I would use this as an excuse to buy a new mod, and that looks like a battery cover, I'd keep hold of this mod and have a nose around and see if I could pick up another cover to swap it out with. You never know someone might have a non working one that you could get your hands on for the cover.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT

View attachment 113253

You experienced a short on that battery while in the mod. The mod itself is likely fine unless there is something wrong with it we cant see, which is entirely possible. If you put new batteries in and experience the same you know you have a hardware issue and the mod should be replaced. It would be wise to err on the side of caution and maybe remove the batteries when sitting overnight so you can monitor the situation until you feel it is safe to proceed, business as usual.

With that battery orientation being what it is you could have sat this near a drink, it sponged up some water and shorted on itself. There are no short list of possibilities as to what could have caused this. Forgot to say it earlier. Welcome to VU man, sorry your first visit is your batteries shitting the bed, but you will likely enjoy your stay.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
His mod? A SMOK - hehahahahahahaha

Condol- hehaha - sorry, - ences - /chortle

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dude, I am so far away from leet-anyting..

No, I just keep seeing SMOK issues every day - and every idiotic B&M I foolishly visit is packed to the elbows with SMOK trash.

Mind you, I've seen a few of their castings that are pretty enough - but the guts need replacement.. I think Sigelei even has a better rep, and I know Eleaf/Istick does.

bestkeptsecret

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Dude, I am so far away from leet-anyting..

No, I just keep seeing SMOK issues every day - and every idiotic B&M I foolishly visit is packed to the elbows with SMOK trash.

Mind you, I've seen a few of their castings that are pretty enough - but the guts need replacement.. I think Sigelei even has a better rep, and I know Eleaf/Istick does.

I don't understand why retailers push them so much to new users.

All these youtube 'reviewers' waxing lyrical about them as part of cynically getting their hands on free kit is a bit annoying too. I've seen so many reviews rating smok mods and tanks highly while overlooking all their flaws, its no wonder people get suckered into buying them.

I don't understand why retailers push them so much to new users.

All these youtube 'reviewers' waxing lyrical about them as part of cynically getting their hands on free kit is a bit annoying too. I've seen so many reviews rating smok mods and tanks highly while overlooking all their flaws, its no wonder people get suckered into buying them.

I had a lot of problems with my R200 for the first week or so, but otherwise it's been pretty flawless for the past year. The worst I get is occasional leakage and bad 510 connection. Overall, I like the mod, but I can see why it might be frustrating without prior experience. What would y'all recommend for an upgrade? EDIT: I'm looking for something with similar capabilities. I never really go over 100 watts, so that's not the issue, but I want to stay sub-ohm. Would my cloud beast tank work with many non-Smok products?

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What would y'all recommend for an upgrade?
I just saw Vaping WIth Vic review the Smoant Charon "mini" - and the only negative he had was the shiny screen was a fingerprint-magnet - it even got ace marks for TC vaping. (Personally, I wish these manufacturers would discover MATTE screens and not ever, ever use TINTED shit again, too). If Vic tests something, it stays tested.

The Asmodus Minikin V2 always gets high marks, and it too is affordable.

Myself, I am happy with my used DNA200 Vt133's and the SXmini m-class I've acquired from VU volken. The gbox 200 is still my only squonker and needs a relief-hitter..

Both of my older Eleaf Isticks - a VW 100w, and the TC100w - are in my PIF bag for newbs or loaners - I had a couple of solid years of vaping on those. The old Pico 75 got PIF'd, but the newb dropped it one too many times and finally knocked the 510 loose in the casing.

bestkeptsecret

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I had a lot of problems with my R200 for the first week or so, but otherwise it's been pretty flawless for the past year. The worst I get is occasional leakage and bad 510 connection. Overall, I like the mod, but I can see why it might be frustrating without prior experience. What would y'all recommend for an upgrade? EDIT: I'm looking for something with similar capabilities. I never really go over 100 watts, so that's not the issue, but I want to stay sub-ohm. Would my cloud beast tank work with many non-Smok products?

I think most of the mods look like they are designed for a 16 year old boy. Garish and crass.

The prince tank that I have is awful. The design is flawed. on the top their twisting easy open system just doesn't work properly. It doesn't put even pressure on the white rubber seal at the top of the tank its all at the point where the button is. Worse still that seal is incredibly thin between the chimney and the filler hole, and as soon as you put any heat through the chimney it distorts creating an airway between the tank and the bottom of the drip tip resulting in small amounts of e- liquid being drawn from the tank when you take a decent draw on it. Anyone can create a more intense flavour by designing a tank so it draws small amounts of liquid into your mouth, but that really isn't the idea. The point is to vape not drink the juice.

Then there are the coils. Totally unreliable. Anything past about 55 watts and they need replacing in no time.

I don't think smok has any respect for their customers the way they pump out substandard stuff and we shouldn't be rewarding that by encouraging people to buy their products. I'd like to see the community gang up on them and boycot them until they go under to send the manufacturers a message. Mug us off and we will hold you to account and ensure your business fails.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The gbox 200 is pretty nice. I pulled open the front, ditched the screws for neomags, and detached all that proprietary-bottle crap.. It's using one of the bottles from the Hugo Squeezer and some silicone fuel-line, and I ordered a Vandy Vape squonk refill-bottle that makes reloading easy-peasy.

Only FLAW I can definitely see is that battery-door: it's working, but I keep waiting for it to refuse to latch.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
..mind you, if the door won't latch? I'll be finding one hell of a rubberband - or Duct Tape (sticks to kids! ;-)

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
My instinct is to throw the battery out but I don't want to assume there's a huge problem if this is mostly safe
"mostly safe" Is that like, partly hazardous?
Good you tossed the battery. I'd toss the mod too since it's also "mostly safe".

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Find a nice field and practice your "Grenade throw". (hint: it's like shot-put)

VU Sponsors