Become a Patron!

Butter flavours??

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Perfect thanks for the info :) Waiting on many many flavors to get here then going to start working on many of your tasty sounding recipes. Could you tell me do your recipes work good mixing by weight or is it better to use the old school non scale method? Do you personally do it by weight if so what scale do you use?

You should use whatever method makes sense to you! Either can work if you do it right.

If you use weight, you have to account for differing density of ingredients, so you need a calculator with those built in or that allows you to input that info. Somewhere lately on VU I saw a list of densities for FA flavorings. If you don't account for differing densities, your results are not the same as if you measured by volume. Usually not a huge difference, but could be enough to make a big difference in some recipes. If you account for density properly, the results are the same as measuring by volume.

For me, that's all needlessly complicated. For my usual small batches, I use droppers that produce 33 drops/ml. 1 drop in 6ml base = 0.5%, or 1 drop in 12ml base = 0.25%, etc. No scale, no calculator, very simple and accurate.

For larger bottles of flavorings-only, I do this: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/how-to-mix-small-batches-of-complex-recipes.1980/ . Where I see "%" in a recipe, that's "tenths-of-ml" of flavoring. Instead of a bottle of juice with 8% flavoring, I end up with 8ml of custom flavoring. No math, no calculator, easy for me, yet exceptionally accurate.

jay223119

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I can answer this one - I mixed many of HIC's recipes the "old school" way before I got my scales and now I mix everything with them. If you follow his recipes as they're written, there is no difference between either method regarding taste and vape. Awesome either way. ;)
Those of us who do use scales do it for convenience. There's a lot less mess and the process takes less space in the work area (does for me anyway). You'll be happy with your results if you use the ingredients he recommends and in the measurements he recommends, I promise.

What kind of scale do you use? And do you use the actual densities or do you use the 1:1 method?

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Right now it's a little one I got from Amazon, an AWS 1KG, accurate to .01, although I'd prefer something like a jewelry scale accurate to at least .001. And I'm horrible with math, so I let my juice calculator deal with densities and such. Someone here had actually posted a link to BotBoy's guide to mixing by weight that everyone seems to like though.

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
gZTaCPvdYnDMs.gif

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Right now it's a little one I got from Amazon, an AWS 1KG, accurate to .01, although I'd prefer something like a jewelry scale accurate to at least .001. And I'm horrible with math, so I let my juice calculator deal with densities and such. Someone here had actually posted a link to BotBoy's guide to mixing by weight that everyone seems to like though.

If you're using recipes that assume volume measurements and you use weight instead, you must account for density to get the same flavor. You can usually assume all flavorings are the same density and get fine results -- but that assumption will wreck some recipes. FA Anise, for example, is less dense than most other FA flavors, and it's a strong, distinctive flavor. If you use a scale, you'll use a little more Anise than you would mixing by volume. I know using a scale without adjusting for density screws up the flavor of some of my recipes (Orange Tic Tacs comes to mind; it uses Anise). Alcohol-based flavorings are a more drastic example... Of course, if your calculator accounts for differing density, all is fine.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you're using recipes that assume volume measurements and you use weight instead, you must account for density to get the same flavor. You can usually assume all flavorings are the same density and get fine results -- but that assumption will wreck some recipes. FA Anise, for example, is less dense than most other FA flavors, and it's a strong, distinctive flavor. If you use a scale, you'll use a little more Anise than you would mixing by volume. I know using a scale without adjusting for density screws up the flavor of some of my recipes (Orange Tic Tacs comes to mind; it uses Anise). Alcohol-based flavorings are a more drastic example... Of course, if your calculator accounts for differing density, all is fine.
Yeah, since this post I started using the measurements in "Botboy's Guide to Mixing by Weight" and it made a big difference. That, and I got a better scale. ;)

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, since this post I started using the measurements in "Botboy's Guide to Mixing by Weight" and it made a big difference. That, and I got a better scale. ;)

So, whadidya get? I can always justify a Christmas present for myself.

What's that, hon? Oh, no, I meant a Christmas present for you. Yeah, it's sort of like jewelry ....

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
^^^ And I have no idea why all that is highlighted.....o_O

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No, I have a 10g weight that works pretty well, sometimes I use my trusty nickel....ha! But I've only calibrated it once, hasn't seemed to need it again.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I've got a couple of calibration weights 'wish-listed ' at FT that'll be coming on the nest order. For all the clowning, I just can't buy for myself at this time of year. Poor me, I know ... that only leaves 11 other months ....

That's a beaut, Teresa P. I actually have a jeweler's scale that'll measure to .001 but, and I have a big but, the weight platform is tiny.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd LOVE to have one of those, but they're pretty pricey. Way outa my league.

VU Sponsors