Become a Patron!

Coil spacing to improve flavor!!??

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That 30mm Mason is nice. You could really put some huge ass coils in the 40 as well, but you'd have to have a mod the size of a phone book to put it on to keep it from hanging over the sides. :)

I debated getting the 40mm, but decided 30mm was big enough.. 40mm is just crazy.. lol

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I agree on 40mm being absolutely nuts. You can put up to 8 coils in that thing, but I don't really use more than 4 coils, as the heat generated by 8 coils gets to be too much, not to mention the battery drain on such a build must be massive.

Last edited:

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah I agree on 40mm being absolutely nuts. You can put up to 8 coils in that thing, but I don't really use more than 4 coils, as the heat generated by 8 coils gets to be too much, not to mention the battery drain on such a build must be massive.

Do you space your coils? I tried a 10 wrap contact, and the middle wouldn't get hot and glow.. so I guess it was too much.. even
burning it at 60w....???

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, it's going to be more difficult to heat a 10-wrap coil because you've got more surface area to heat and you're going to need more power to heat all that wire. Try about 85 to 90w, see if that doesn't help you out a bit. That's what I pulse my 12-wrap Kanthals at, and you're not that far off.

If that doesn't work, try squeezing your coils with a pair of ceramic tweezers as you pulse them. As the metal heats, it will become easier to manipulate the metal to the point where the wraps stay closer together. Then while your coils are still hot, strum your coils with the top of your ceramic tweezers. That will give you the tiniest bit of a gap between your wraps. This should get your coils to heat more evenly.

Here's the build I'm currently using. You can use that as a guide. (I made a tiny mistake near the center of the coils. DON'T duplicate that.) This is a pair of 15-wrap naked (naked meaning unclaptoned in this case) NiChrome 28g coils on my Mason 24mm RDA. I suggest sticking with Kanthal for now though, at least until you get used to it because NiChrome is going to build a bit differently due to its lower resistance and the materials used. (You'll get a lower resistance with 24g NiChrome than with 24g Kanthal, for example.

DSCN0473.JPG

Last edited:

VU Sponsors